Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 01:09   #1126
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Impressive. One thing I was noticing is, this version has multi-link independent suspension at the rear while the Indian version has semi independent-torsion beam type suspension.
Rather, that's probably the difference between the AWD & FWD version.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:49   #1127
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

whatever be the price, I will rather wait and watch the Renault's after sales support quality and cost. I dont want to be a guinea pig in the hands of a company with dubious run in India till now.
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:09   #1128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I would not go so far as to say dubious. Its just that they havent yet attained the scale of some of the competition. After all, everyone has to start somewhere! Consider how Maruti was for that matter in 1984, everyone swore only by the Amby and Fiat and look what happened! Same in the case of Hyundai, GM, Ford, Toyota and others.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd June 2012 at 08:11.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:39   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi
whatever be the price, I will rather wait and watch the Renault's after sales support quality and cost. I dont want to be a guinea pig in the hands of a company with dubious run in India till now.
We have a Jetta and a Fluence and trust me the A.S.S of Renault is much better than that of VW in Mumbai. My Fluence is picked up and dropped by the Service Centre, there is a proper follow up during and after the service. The Fluence has the best in class 4yr warranty. As compared to that our Jetta's first service was a nightmare. They turned our car down inspite of having an appointment because the service centre was overcrowded. They tried the same stunt the second time but I threw a fit on the phone and they rook the car in. We had an accident damage that needed to be fixed on the Jetta, and the service centre wasn't even interested in taking the car in giving us a time after 1month. We still haven't got any intimation from VW about the Extended Warranty inspite of repeated calls.
With these experiences in mind, we'd rather buy a Renault than a VW in India considering A.S.S
mohandasnikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:59   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
With these experiences in mind, we'd rather buy a Renault than a VW in India considering A.S.S
This kind of experience I have already faced while me and my friend was looking for a car 1 Yrs back. The VW people are feeling that we are in mercy of their product. They are doing some kind of benefit by selling their car to the Poor Indian Customer. Altogether No care attitude...

Leave apart... How is the cost of various parts of Renault ???
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:06   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya

What is the cost of various parts of Renault ???
I thankfully haven't had to change any parts on the Fluence so not sure about cost of parts. Service costs and consumables are comparable or lesser than the competition i.e VW and Skoda.
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:51   #1132
BHPian

I am not saying that Renault's after sales is particularly poor, but the thing is they still have to prove their mettle on indian soil. I am duly impressed with duster as a product and thankfully Renault service centre is within reasonable distance from my home, but when it comes to real ownership experience, it comprises many a things like general policies and attitude toward the customer, spares availability and prices. Skoda's after sales was not particularly poor to begin with neither the Honda people were arrogant from start. The thing is the success easily rule the head honcho's brain once their product click and only then the brand's real ownership can be experienced. Hence wait and watch mode.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:20   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Till last week Karnataka dealers were present in just two cities Bangalore and Mangalore. Now they are going to add Hubli, Belgaum and Mysore to the list. Looks like they are expanding the dealer network! good news.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:26   #1134
Senior - BHPian

I cant help but smile at the sunny optimism here . Its good to be positive about this car and I do hope that everyone's expectations are catered to.
I cant help but spell out the facts that this car is a soft-roader built for a price. We might see hard plastics, not so good fabric/leather and some amount of squeaks and rattles here and there.
People have been commenting as if this a panacea for all the niggles in Mahindra or Tata Suvs and all this at a price point lower than the scorpio or the safari. And all this with out a single test drive or first ride report!!!
Also worth noting is this car is not really a full size Suv, at best it is a large hatchback, somewhat larger than i20 and as tall as a wagonR at max. The skoda Yeti is larger than this.

Like everyone else I too am waiting eagerly for the price and some test drive reports. However I shall reserve my comments (good/bad) once this car is on road that is. Cheers!
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:36   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Till last week Karnataka dealers were present in just two cities Bangalore and Mangalore. Now they are going to add Hubli, Belgaum and Mysore to the list. Looks like they are expanding the dealer network! good news.
Yes, they have gone up from 54 to 67 dealers now.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:50   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I cant help but smile at the sunny optimism here . Its good to be positive about this car and I do hope that everyone's expectations are catered to.
I cant help but spell out the facts that this car is a soft-roader built for a price. We might see hard plastics, not so good fabric/leather and some amount of squeaks and rattles here and there.
People have been commenting as if this a panacea for all the niggles in Mahindra or Tata Suvs and all this at a price point lower than the scorpio or the safari. And all this with out a single test drive or first ride report!!!
Also worth noting is this car is not really a full size Suv, at best it is a large hatchback, somewhat larger than i20 and as tall as a wagonR at max. The skoda Yeti is larger than this.

Like everyone else I too am waiting eagerly for the price and some test drive reports. However I shall reserve my comments (good/bad) once this car is on road that is. Cheers!
It IS built to a cost. I think everyone here is very clear on that aspect and broadly OK with hard plastics, utilitarian look, size etc..

And for the few initial test drives, I fail to see how authoritatively can they comment on the long term reliability or ownership experience of this car?

The Duster is a best seller in the few markets it has already been launched in.
Primarily, because of what it offers and that too at a particular price point.

Having said that, Pricing remains a crucial factor in its success & acceptance.
And someone has too buy the First car!

@ Dr Abhi: What does your signature mean?! (ABS, Airbag etc)

Last edited by BUXX : 23rd June 2012 at 12:53.
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:09   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
And for the few initial test drives, I fail to see how authoritatively can they comment on the long term reliability or ownership experience of this car?
What i meant was the team-bhp review of the Duster. I am eagerly waiting for this. Also a few 500km/1000km ownership reviews. These should help decide.
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:17   #1138
BHPian

pls off topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
@ Dr Abhi: What does your signature mean?! (ABS, Airbag etc)
I think the signature is not coming complete. It is like this
Dont crib ABS Airbag absence, use seatbelts and ORVM properly.
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:48   #1139
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
I the scorpio or the safari. And all this with out a single test drive or first ride report!!!

Actually you will find that the Duster is bigger than the Yeti. Do check the size specs posted a few pages earlier.
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:12   #1140
BHPian

I think I may have posted this earlier. A pretty good pictorial comparison of Duster vs Yeti, Kuga and VW Tiguan done by a russian website that's gives some context to its size -

Comparativ Duster vs. concuren
Closed Thread

Most Viewed