Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:13   #1141
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Till last week Karnataka dealers were present in just two cities Bangalore and Mangalore. Now they are going to add Hubli, Belgaum and Mysore to the list. Looks like they are expanding the dealer network! good news.
Thats good news.
My worry is more on the lines of, when i travel on the highway, how would I get assistance from Renault. I am not scared that they spares might be expensive or that they don't have the right attitude towards customers. So expansion of service centers is very positive news.
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:21   #1142
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

I saw the Duster 110ps on Bangalore-Chennai highway near Krishnagiri. I was on Innova BS-IV and wanted to check Duster's performance in comparison with Innova. So zipped the Innova, Duster's test driver got very enthusiastic and was giving a real head on competition.

Here were my observations

- While zipping from stand still, Innova moves ahead, but at speeds between 30-60, Duster is able to come close but the edge is not enough to overtake Innova. So at this speed, if not driven carefully, Innova could loose the race.
- Innova's linear power delivery gets it past the Duster at 80+. After 80, Innova has an edge enough to overtake Duster. But the edge was marginal.
- After 120, Innova had a clear edge, though it become noisy, I was able to overtake any number of times at any instance greater than this speed. I think Duster's small engine gives way.
- Duster is speed limited strictly at 160, whereas Innova (though speed limited), stretches to 163.

Overall, I m not very enthusiastic about Duster's performance as I feel even Innova is not a good benchmark to match with. I don't feel excited when I drive Innova with its performance, so same would be my feel if I drive a Duster. But that said, I think like Innova, Duster would be a practical car with very good drivability with linear power delivery. Smaller engine would definitely hurt the performance though they claim to extract 110ps out of a 1461 cc pot. The upside though would be the fuel efficiency esp taking advantage of the six speed gearbox.

I have videos shot of my Innova with the Duster, if someone is interested I can upload.

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-wp_000092.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th June 2012 at 10:43. Reason: Edited text for high speeds.
vishnugs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:28   #1143
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2012 at 14:03. Reason: Removed reference to race.
BUXX is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:30   #1144
BHPian

No the car was 110ps variant, I specifically confirmed it with the driver. There was a white duster which as 85ps, which was a 1km behind us ;-) I had a short chat with the driver at the toll booth where they took a U-turn and went back to Krishnagiri. I think this cars are constant to and fro to Krishnagiri.

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2012 at 14:04. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:42   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Overall, I m not very enthusiastic about Duster's performance as I feel even Innova is not a good benchmark to match with. I don't feel excited when I drive Innova with its performance, so same would be my feel if I drive a Duster.
I believe if the duster was loosing or barely able to compete with Innova, it is because of the skills of the driver or possibly he was not trying to drive fast.
Here are the numbers (ACI)for comparison:

0-60 kmph
Innova:6.6 secs
Duster: 5.03 secs

0-100 kmph
Innova: 17.5 secs
Duster: 12.59 secs

0-120 kmph
Innova: -
Duster: 18.23 secs

20-80 kmph is 3rd gear:
Innova: 14.39 secs
Duster: 10.01 secs

50-100 kmph is 4th gear:
Innova: 19.50 secs
Duster: 11.92 secs

In simple terms, when Innova hits 100 kmph, Duster will be almost doing 120 kmph.

@BUXX, even 85 BHP version has figures way better then Innova (at lest on paper)

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th June 2012 at 17:56. Reason: Removed reference to race.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:52   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Also worth noting is this car is not really a full size Suv, at best it is a large hatchback, somewhat larger than i20 and as tall as a wagonR at max. The skoda Yeti is larger than this.
I think the Duster is bigger than Yeti and is also wider than Scorpio - at least as per the dimensions earlier posted in this thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:06   #1147
BHPian

Hi Guna, appreciate the data points. The overtakes were at high speeds 130+. The 0-x numbers don't always translate to real world performance. To give you some examples, Innova can climb from 130 to 140 in 5s, 140 to 150 in 7s, 150 to 160 in 10s. Power in all the speed bands are not truly captured in the test figures OEMs publish. I fully agree that atleast a share of the performance is dependent on the driver's style. IMHO, Duster might not be the one to give you the adrenaline rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
pls do post the video &share..
Maybe u spotted the 85hp model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I believe if the duster was loosing or barely able to compete with Innova, it is because of the skills of the driver or possibly he was not trying to drive fast.
Here are the numbers (ACI)for comparison:

0-60 kmph
Innova:6.6 secs
Duster: 5.03 secs

0-100 kmph
Innova: 17.5 secs
Duster: 12.59 secs

0-120 kmph
Innova: -
Duster: 18.23 secs

20-80 kmph is 3rd gear:
Innova: 14.39 secs
Duster: 10.01 secs

50-100 kmph is 4th gear:
Innova: 19.50 secs
Duster: 11.92 secs

In simple terms, when Innova hits 100 kmph, Duster will be almost doing 120 kmph.

@BUXX, even 85 BHP version has figures way better then Innova (at lest on paper)

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th June 2012 at 17:59. Reason: Removed reference to race.
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:53   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guna, appreciate the data points. The overtakes were at high speeds 130+. The 0-x numbers don't always translate to real world performance. To give you some examples, Innova can climb from 130 to 140 in 5s, 140 to 150 in 7s, 150 to 160 in 10s. Power in all the speed bands are not truly captured in the test figures OEMs publish. I fully agree that atleast a share of the performance is dependent on the driver's style. IMHO, Duster might not be the one to give you the adrenaline rush.
I don't think we should be giving such opinions without actually having driven the car and just driving alongside it.

The Ertiga 90bhp diesel is quicker than an Innova. I really doubt considering the figures by ACI that the Duster will be slower than an Innova.

Infact the other media reports claim that the Duster is quicker than the XUV in real world acceleration as well as in-gear times. As we all know the XUV is one of the quickest out there. The driver was probably having a pretending to keep up with your car.

Ofcourse only after driving it will we come to know whether or not the Duster is quick but going by the other media reports, it is safe to stay the Duster will be in XUV territory and not in Innova territory.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th June 2012 at 18:00. Reason: Removed reference to race.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:19   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, Duster might not be the one to give you the adrenaline rush.
And you deduce this from seeing someone driving a Duster?

There are many road-tests already available for Duster, done by reputed magazines (this thread had links to ACI, Overdrive, Zigwheels and more). And most of them put Duster as a very Peppy car. Diesel Innova is not even half as close to being a peppy car (its really slow on the highway, past 100, though its good in traffic).

Here's some excerpts.
ACI:
"This, and the Duster’s light 1308kg kerb weight, means real-world performance is actually quite good. When tested with our data acquisition device, the Duster took 11.01 seconds from 20-80kph in third gear and 11.92 seconds from 40-100kph in fourth, which makes it quicker than the significantly more powerful XUV500!"

Renault Duster review, test drive | Review | Autocar India

BSMotoring:
"But it's the performance that will put a big smile on your face. The Duster is quick off the blocks, quicker than even the more powerful Mahindra XUV5OO."
Renault Duster Test Drive and Review

Its always good to actually drive the car (or at least read about it in some reliable sources) before passing judgement on performance.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:13   #1150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
And you deduce this from seeing someone driving a Duster?

There are many road-tests already available for Duster, done by reputed magazines (this thread had links to ACI, Overdrive, Zigwheels and more). And most of them put Duster as a very Peppy car. Diesel Innova is not even half as close to being a peppy car (its really slow on the highway, past 100, though its good in traffic).

Its always good to actually drive the car (or at least read about it in some reliable sources) before passing judgement on performance.
All the above mentioned 'auto magazines' are nothing but a bunch of paid advertising crap. Consider this: Every 200+cc bike tested as per them does 0-100k in 10-11 secs!!. Except the bullet.. which consitently does 0-100 in 19-20secs. Same crap when testing tata or mahindra product. No matter how refined an Aria or Manza get they are tarred with the standard brush. 'Tata need to get their act together to put to gether a well made car..blah blah' But overdrive/autocar go out of the way and consider Primier RiO as a competent mini suv for its price...... or for that matter the Force one .. lol. So lets leave auto mags aside for now, and yes fully agree with you, that we should actually drive the car before we judge it
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:28   #1151
Senior - BHPian

They started their ad campaign, you can see the ads in the small box next to the menu for Duster on ADTV.
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:37   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the above mentioned 'auto magazines' are nothing but a bunch of paid advertising crap. Same crap when testing tata or mahindra product. No matter how refined an Aria or Manza get they are tarred with the standard brush. 'Tata need to get their act together to put to gether a well made car..blah blah' But overdrive/autocar go out of the way and consider Primier RiO as a competent mini suv for its price...... or for that matter the Force one .. lol.
While I agree Automags are indeed not 100% unbiased, I don't think its as bad as you claim to be. For example Mahindra got wow reviews from most of these magazines for XUV. Tata is a different story, but Aria received the same feedback in public, as well as in a perfectly neutral TBHP review - everyone feels its overpriced by a couple of lacs. Its for a reason it sells in 100s while XUV sells in 1000s. Read GTO's thread on his Nissan Sunny to see public perception on Manza. Is it accurate? May be not. But Perception is reality.

No comments on the RIO as i haven't even bothered to read reviews. I do agree with your views there - i did not take the car even seriously to want to read a review. Same on the bikes - i don't read those reviews.

But I am going OT, I will stop here. This thread is about Duster.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 23rd June 2012 at 21:40.
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:03   #1153

Quote:
All the above mentioned 'auto magazines' are nothing but a bunch of paid advertising crap. Consider this:
====
r for that matter the Force one .. lol. So lets leave auto mags aside for now, and yes fully agree with you, that we should actually drive the car before we judge it
Please don't mind my saying so, but am not sure we should so dismissive of all Indian auto mags. Sure there may the occasional bias, but in a competitive market, to expect them all to have an anti-desi manufacturer cartel, is unjust. In fact I do recall most of them showering effusive praise on the XUV, and not merely on account of its price. As to interiors and finish quality, neither Tata nor Mahindra would count these as their forte - perhaps reasonably reliable workhorses is what they produce sub-12 lakhs, and one could expect Renault to not disappoint in this regard either.

Also, specifically on the Duster, it is true it has a smaller engine, but it is lighter as well. It is not impossible to believe that it may be quicker than the workmanlike Innova (I don't know of even die-hard Innova fans - and it sells by the thousands - who would swear its character for performance pyrotechnics). If indeed it is faster than the XUV, I would say it is commendable - and a clear feather in the Duster's cap.

I would keep the jury out for an actual TBHP test!
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:08   #1154
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Also worth noting is this car is not really a full size Suv, at best it is a large hatchback, somewhat larger than i20 and as tall as a wagonR at max. The skoda Yeti is larger than this.
Would request you to check up on the comparos in this thread earlier, might change your opinion. as i have already said, this is larger than the yeti, a quick google check will nullify your reservations about that. secondly i see these two vehicles in my street every single day and believe me the duster looks significantly bigger and meaner thanks to its design (though the difference is marginal when parked next to each other) fit and finish of the yeti is way better though the duster aint that bad either. hope this helps.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 12:06   #1155
BHPian

I have couple of questions for my fellow bhpians...
1. Can the steering of any car be changed easily? For e.g., can the Koleos steering be used for Duster (i am not a fan of the steering in Duster)
2. In SUVs, does the rear parking camera suffice, or are the sensors essential?
These questions might be off topic, please pardon me for that..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed