Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 04:34   #1216
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

How nice to see so much positivity about and eagerness for the Duster.

Looks like a massive latent or closet demand for a vehicle exactly like this has developed in the market over these last few years. Great signs of a maturing scenario.. Fusion was just way too early for its time!

Nice chunky looks, good GC, tough build, decent handling and behaviour on account of the monocoque construction, diesel power available, relatively inexpensive to look after, solid and functional appeal more than cosmetic, decently finished etc being an European ( poor cousin etc is fine but it will easily stand up to its competition here in India) plus reasonable luggage carrying space of 475 litres. Why would anyone buy silly vehicles like a DZire when such an alernative now exists? It makes absolute sense for them to convert potential sedan buyers which I guess they will on account of an SUV being perceived as more desirable and of a higher status. A real game changer. And it is clear that the market is maturing and not everyone is hunting for a large capacity zillion seat SUV - it doesn't absolutely have to be a 7 seater any more to succeed!

Eight variants is a lot and I really wonder what the key differentiators in each are going to be , apart from the price.

But truly, 11 to 11.5 lacs on road Bangalore for the top spec 2WD version will be a steal indeed.

This could very well mean that they will bring in their 4WD version too, and try and plug it in around 13 lacs to 13.5 lacs. They appear to be giving themselves a bit of room for maneuverability here.

I am waiting for the complete details of variants and specifications, especially the details about the safety kit in this vehicle.

I really wish they would at least include ABS in the top 2 variants each of Petrol and Diesel. We really cannot place enough emphasis on ABS as a potential life saver on our treacherous Indian highways.

Maybe its a bit early but I think Uncle T has lost the bl&&dy plot with their Aria and Storme and whatnot. M&M really need to buck up with their Scorpio and Bolero etc because there will be a certain amount of impact once Duster hits the road - at least amongst the slightly more evolved segment of the market who will migrate without a care! I think M&M will be a tad unpleasantly surprised to see Renault taking the fight to the Scorpio and Bolero and doing unto them, what they (M&M) had served to the Tata Aria and its ilk with the XUV a few months ago! Pricing as always seems to be the only way to grab and hold our attention here in India! Everything else is forgiven if pricing is right!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th June 2012 at 04:47.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 08:30   #1217
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

As per Today Ad on TOI, the fuel efficiency is 20.45 kmpl for Duster Diesel 85 PS
Old 27th June 2012, 09:03   #1218
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
As per Today Ad on TOI, the fuel efficiency is 20.45 kmpl for Duster Diesel 85 PS
Can you paste that ad here or at least provide the link. I tried to search in today's TOI Pune edition, but could not trace it. Is it that Renault is going to launch the Duster only in select cities (metros) first? (same as what M&M did with the XUV)
Old 27th June 2012, 09:21   #1219
Distinguished - BHPian

Here you go:

Article Window
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 09:33   #1220
BHPian

I am looking to replace my Getz CRDI and my cousin is looking to replace his chevy Optra Diesel. My cousin is looking to me for advice as both of us have pretty much the same requirements. Mostly to be used in the city but occassionally used on the the highway over long distances such as between Bangalore and Hyderabad. Safety is important - airbags and ABS we want. Neither of us care about excessive speeds. If the car can cruise comfortably at 120 kmph that is adequate. We do care about driving comfort and optimal ride(compliant but not excessively so). I am looking for tall seats such as those found in the Ritz or the Ertiga - nice and upright that wont stiff your neck after 4-5 hours of driving(frequent problem in the Getz).

I am inclined towards the 85 BHP diesel as it is claimed to be more tractable and has significantly less or no turbo lag(also cheaper). I desperately want to avoid the lumpy engine response of my current ride especially in the city. The Getz CRDI has an engine that is well suited for highways but is a pain driving in Bangalore city(the 1st and 2nd gear ratios dont help either). I am looking for something that has a nice spread of user friendly torque below 2000 rpm. I am aware that practically all CRDIs are fully awake 2000 rpm and higher, so not focussed on this. The 85 BHP version has been praised in other applications for its lack of turbo lag and the way it can handle frequent stop-go situations. Yet, it was criticized when it was initially deployed in the Fluence. Subsequently when the same Fluence was upgraded to 110 BHP everyone said it was a better car for the new engine. Am I the only one reading a conflicting message here? It appears the 85 BHP engine works well in smaller cars such as the Micra and the Logan, but appears inadequate in a larger car such as the Fluence or perhaps the Duster?

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 27th June 2012 at 09:35.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:54   #1221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
The 85 BHP version has been praised in other applications for its lack of turbo lag and the way it can handle frequent stop-go situations. Yet, it was criticized when it was initially deployed in the Fluence. Subsequently when the same Fluence was upgraded to 110 BHP everyone said it was a better car for the new engine. Am I the only one reading a conflicting message here? It appears the 85 BHP engine works well in smaller cars such as the Micra and the Logan, but appears inadequate in a larger car such as the Fluence or perhaps the Duster?
B-O-B, I don't think the Fluence ever came with the dCi 85bhp engine with the Fixed Geometry Turbo (FGT). The original Fluence came with a dCi 105bhp engine with a VGT; this was blamed for the turbo-lag below 2000 rpm.

They later tweaked the ECU and replaced the VGT with a new one bumping up the power to 110bhp. It is THIS engine which will power the more expensive Duster variants.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-20-lakhs.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-99-lakhs.html

Mind you, there is not much difference between the Logan and Duster weights. In my experience, the Logan 85bhp is very tractable and with minimal turbo-lag.

While the 85bhp will be great in city, if you are really into frequent highway trips, then the 110bhp will probably be better for you.

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th June 2012 at 10:13. Reason: Added links
Old 27th June 2012, 10:02   #1222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Mind you, there is not much difference between the Logan and Duster weights. In my experience, the Logan 85bhp is very tractable and with minimal turbo-lag.

While the 85bhp will be great in city, if you are really into frequent highway trips, then the 110bhp will probably be better for you.
The Logan in India never had a 85BHP engine. I just noticed a few posts mentioning this. The Logan/Verito have a 65BHP 1.5L DCI K9K engine similar to Micra.

85BHP is found in the Sunny only and now will be seen in Duster. The 110BHP will probably be similar to the Fluence.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 10:26   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Logan in India never had a 85BHP engine. I just noticed a few posts mentioning this. The Logan/Verito have a 65BHP 1.5L DCI K9K engine similar to Micra.

85BHP is found in the Sunny only and now will be seen in Duster. The 110BHP will probably be similar to the Fluence.
Thanks for pointing out, with so many variants of the 1.5 DCi, it is getting a little confusing. I have gone through GTO's Sunny thread and he was all praise for the tractability of the 85 BHP version. By all indications, the 85 BHP version ought to do well in the Duster. Will wait for the test drives and evaluate this for myself.
Old 27th June 2012, 10:27   #1224
BHPian

Agree with you Shankar. I guess (and wish) the Indian public is waking up to the very practical wagon form factor (compact UV or basically a 5 seater with covered up boot )
I am a big fan of it. That is why I bought my Fiat Adventure. Then I almost ended up buying the Yeti. Now, the move to Chennai is done and things are settling down, I should be able to get at least a Duster now. I wish Fiat had Palio Locker in that price range
As you said, 11.5L OTR Bangalore for top end Duster would be stunning price. Should be in the same range for Chennai as well. But the SE was sure the top end would be 13+. I guess Renault is playing a waiting game to see if some one else (say Ford with their Ecosport or Mahindra with their mini-Xylo or Tata with their Storme) make announcement of the launch and spoil their pricing plan. Or may be the diesel car hike proposal may be the factor.
Old 27th June 2012, 10:43   #1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why would anyone buy silly vehicles like a DZire when such an alernative now exists?
Couldn't agree more.
I am in the market for a new car. I had short listed Dzire as one of the proscpects . The limited boot made me back out and wait it out.Need to see the Duster in flesh before putting down cash on one.
I also need to see the extent to which I may need to accessorise it. Though a trivial item - one of the ACI/Hindu syndicated content mentioned no rubber beading
Old 27th June 2012, 10:50   #1226
BHPian

I think, there's a terribly confusing engine/variant scenario here..

The 85 bhp(1200Kg) doesn't seem all that powerful enough
(though better Power to weight than the Tavera 80 bhp, 1600kg kerb wt).
On the plus side, it is more drive-able in the City where I guess, many of us will be driving this SUV predominately. On our tough route to work.
Also, it lacks the RxZ variant, which has the Rear AC.an important feature.

The 110Bhp has good power-to-weight ratio, but seems to have that terrible turbo lag and is costlier. On the plus, it gets ABS+Airbag as standard on its variants..

Choices , choices...! Guess, nothing will beat a TD to form & firm up our own opinions.
Not to mention , another crucial detail; the pricing.
Old 27th June 2012, 10:54   #1227
BHPian

Can't wait to read the official review. It will be good to get a proper comparison between the 85 and 110 bhp engine. If we can live with performance of the 85 bhp for city and highway use, then we could save a lot of money.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:16   #1228
AVR
BHPian

Unfortunately it's going to be 2wd and no low-range transfer case ever so not sure if I'll buy it but still can't resist putting up these lovely pics for whoever hasn't seen them yet! Boy, does she look good in that!

http://bloganul.blogspot.in/2010/09/...er-extrem.html
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 11:30   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Looks extremely promising if all the news on the pricing turns out true. Now I wonder what M&M and TATA are going to do about the pricing of the Scorpio/Safari. I dont see anyone other than politicians, goons/thugs and wannabe versions of the same wanting to buy these models
Old 27th June 2012, 11:44   #1230
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Looks extremely promising if all the news on the pricing turns out true. Now I wonder what M&M and TATA are going to do about the pricing of the Scorpio/Safari. I dont see anyone other than politicians, goons/thugs and wannabe versions of the same wanting to buy these models
That's a strong statement to make buddy! Lol there are many others who are not goons/thugs/politicians/wannabes who'll still buy a Safari/Scorpio because they need more space, like the vehicle, have bigger families. We have a Safari, Scorpio, Tucson in the immediate family of 7 and we'd anyday prefer the Safari/Scorpio which have more seats than the Tucson which is a 5-seater like the Duster.

Yes, we can expect Tata/MM to react with a price but you my man seem quite over-excited with the Duster launch to make statements like that!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks