Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 15:00   #1246
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

The more I follow this thread, the more I am tempted to book one.

It will suit well for my brother/father (rural, self made entrepreneurs) & myself (city, Finance/IT Guy).

Almost everyone [Autocar, Overdrive, Zigwheels, BSMotoring & even The Hindu] has published a review.

Where is the honest(TBHP) review I am looking for ?
Old 27th June 2012, 15:05   #1247
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
XUV5OO, Aria given your hatred for the van looks. else go for the duster and ask the occasional extra 2 passengers to take an auto

XUV and Aria are more than 12Lakh saar and other 2 passengers will be my parents sir so can't ask them to use auto. I can't go in auto as I am the one who is paying 12lakhs for a car and can't ask wife or kids to go becasue they won't do it.

Please advice saar, what else can I do?
Old 27th June 2012, 15:07   #1248
kcz
BHPian

I have been glued to this thread for last few days. Eagerly waiting for the definitive T-BHP review.

I have a booking of i20 CRDI Sportz that would be ready for delivery in a couple of weeks and I am seriously contemplating the idea of cancelling the i20 booking and going for Duster 85PS.
kcz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 15:12   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
If you want the bulk and road presence go for the Scorpio / Safari as those are the only ones in this range unless you have a liking for the Sumo / Bolero types.

Other wise there are no other SUV's in this range at present, you will have to wait and see how the Duster fits your bill.
Thanks m_upreti,

I am waiting to have a first hand look at Duster before taking final decision. I need extra 2 seats as my parents visit me here at Bangalore and with them its going to be a tight squeeze in Duster.

If i am not "Wowed" by duster then I have to go with Safari GX. (Not a big fan of scorpio ride). I was just miffed at off the cuff comment of our friend here hence the post but then on second thoughts INDIA is a country of perceptions and you can't change that very easily.

Thanks

-Ijeet
Old 27th June 2012, 15:12   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Almost everyone [Autocar, Overdrive, Zigwheels, BSMotoring & even The Hindu] has published a review.

with you DD. I am sure TBHP must have been called for a preview & test drive of Duster when the other Auto Journalists were invited. Our moderators might be busy penning down the TD & Review. But then we would really appreciate if someone confirms that. Any TBHPian cannot make a decision unless he goes through the TBHP review at least a couple of times (at least I won't), & I am sure many other guests won't be taking the plunge without going through the review over here. So everyone over here is looking at an ETA for the review
Old 27th June 2012, 16:19   #1251
BHPian

I just went and booked the duster today. In chennai they are taking one lakh as the booking amount which is totally refundable if you dont want to buy it after taking a loot and a test drive of the car. There is no cancellation fee which I thought is very good. The guys at the showroom said that they had received around 75 bookings so far. They have given the option of choosing between the 85ps and 110ps engine after test driving them. Even the variant and colour can be chosen after launch.
prithvi53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 16:36   #1252
kcz
BHPian

What is the booking amount being collected in Bangalore? Can someone who made the booking in Bangalore please chime in? Are the dealers saying that there is a penalty in case of cancellation?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kiran
Old 27th June 2012, 16:46   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Thanks m_upreti,

I am waiting to have a first hand look at Duster before taking final decision. I need extra 2 seats as my parents visit me here at Bangalore and with them its going to be a tight squeeze in Duster.

If i am not "Wowed" by duster then I have to go with Safari GX. (Not a big fan of scorpio ride). I was just miffed at off the cuff comment of our friend here hence the post but then on second thoughts INDIA is a country of perceptions and you can't change that very easily.-Ijeet
I guess you better have a detailed look and drive before taking a call, and yes perceptions are there and for that very reason my better half forced me to change the colour from white to rocky beige since she also thought that the white Scorpio was the staple of politicians and contractors
Old 27th June 2012, 17:07   #1254
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet

Sir,

I am not a goon, politician, thug or whatever you mentioned in your earlier post and don't aspire to be one in future. Can you please advise me what I should be doing? What SUV I should be looking at in my budget of 12lakhs? I need occasional 7 seats but don't like the van looking Toyota Inova or Maruti Ertiga.

Please advice.

-Ijeet

You're a funny man! What a funny post! Made me burst out in splits that did!

Given your requirements buddy, please certainly consider the Safari if you like the Jeep type looks since you are clear that the Scorpio ride isnt good. However, I wouuld urge you to once more check the Scorpio because there was a post a few days ago on the Scorpio Issues thread, where, apparently they seem to have tweaked the suspension some more, thereby making it more comfortable.

These vehicles will give you the comfort and space that you seek. However, I would also venture to suggest that you buy only the variants which at least come with ABS. this is now absolutely essential in such vehicles, because over the last 5-6 years the roads have progressively become more dangerous.
Also, do think on it, driving a Safari or a Scorpio as a daily driver in Bangalore with its parking woes can really be a pain. i found that to be so over the 4 years of Scorpio ownership.

You may want to check out there are some good looking used X Trails hanging around on carwale, as also a couple of used Captivas too. These are all incredibly more refined than the homegrown ones as above.
I would suggest that you wait a few days, see the Duster for yourself and then make your decision.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:02   #1255

UK prices: petrol starting at 9000 pounds dCi 110 4x2 at 11500.

Prices and specifications
Old 27th June 2012, 18:08   #1256
BHPian

The 360 view on the official site shows a small lever on the passenger seat. So does the passenger seat comes with a lumbar support as well? If so, that is just great and a welcome feature!

Also, where is the center armrest? I mean, seriously, does it cost really that much to fit one by the manufacturer? Even if it is cost cutting, I still don't understand, as I had an after market fitment in my Swift for 1200bucks! So imagine the cost of production then! It is extremely inconvenient to spend more time sitting and driving(Read: Highways) in any car for that matter. And to do this to an SUV is just pure injustice!
Old 27th June 2012, 18:16   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post

For the Duster drive and review i guess only the print media were invited and not the online media , So the TBHP review is still missing . if other wise MODS please correct me .
Old 27th June 2012, 19:17   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
UK prices: petrol starting at 9000 pounds dCi 110 4x2 at 11500.
Prices and specifications
So sad to see that ABS and Airbags are give on all variants but in India that does not seem to be the case. Odd to see USB port not mentioned.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:32   #1259
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Always feels horrible when one compares similarly priced International specifications of cars to the same equivalents in India.

i guess till the blasted government wakes up and gets real and starts maybe rewarding these manufacturers for safety stuff, we wont get any.

Also, if it is made mandatory across all variants of all vehicles by an amendment of the Motor Vehicles Act and/ or some law, then we will benefit.

Pipe dreams? Yes, I guess so as of now!

Bottom line - Life is really cheap in India and hence Airbags and ABS and safety kit on vehicles need to be paid premia for!
Old 27th June 2012, 20:10   #1260
BHPian

Here's couple of links from Top Gear UK.

Good news! The Dacia Duster is here! - BBC Top Gear

I have booked the Duster a while back, even before any of the variant details became available so I should be called biased.

I have heard a lot of criticism about the Duster on this thread and comparisons with the Yeti and XUV5OO, but

I am a big fan of the VW grp, be it Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat. (I recently bought a TSI) and I still find the Yeti way in non VFM territory. The 4WD versions are atrociously priced, and the 2WD are so stripped that it becomes difficult to justify the price.

The XUV is definitely eye-catching but seems a bit too in your face, and the last row of seats and storage space are functionally mutually exclusive.

Personally the Duster makes sense to me because it will have a decent engine for its weight, it is subdued, and I think Renault is going to surprise with the price on the lower side. I'd hope that some starts importing the Dacia front grill.

Besides if its good enough for Captain slow, it's good enough for me. James drives the Dacia Duster - BBC Top Gear

Looks great in blue too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed