Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 21:33   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The scorpio and safari body moulds and dies must be completely depreciated by now. Whatever these guys are charging us is pure cream for them.
About time they went in for a massive correction in pricing for both those antediluvian monsters. Or else let them provide more bang for the buck at the same price, like full ABS and safety kit and all 4 disc brakes and so on and so forth and then let them charge the same prices as current.
They really need to get responsible towards us buying public. They need to get less greedy. They need to genuinely work on offering us value.
If u so desire you should look at the Safari Gx (on road 13lac in Mumbai) or wait for the Storme both which give you all what u ask for. I am sure Scorpio too have equivalent stuff in some of their versions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
No Worries, abslutely agreed with you. I would any day prefer to have a smoother vehicle, though I absolutely love my Scorpio (but still in the market to change once I see the Duster so now the choice is between the Duster & XUV500)
On a lighter note Maneesh u better go with the Xuv unless u wanna purchase a black board and a chalk as an upgrade to your new duster

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th June 2012 at 22:34. Reason: Please read the note in your post, also avoid back to bak post & use Multi quote feature, thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 21:37   #1262
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper
Here's couple of links from Top Gear UK.

Good news! The Dacia Duster is here! - BBC Top Gear

I am a big fan of the VW grp, be it Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat. (I recently bought a TSI) and I still find the Yeti way in non VFM territory. The 4WD versions are atrociously priced, and the 2WD are so stripped that it becomes difficult to justify the price.

Besides if its good enough for Captain slow, it's good enough for me. James drives the Dacia Duster - BBC Top Gear

Looks great in blue too.

I disagree with your statement on atrocious pricing. TillI I did my research I was guilty of the same thoughts.
I find after my research that the Yeti in India is priced very similarly to the way it is priced in the UK for the same spec level. I have remarked on this several times on various Yeti threads on this Forum too.
By contrast, the Captiva or Fortuner or any of those others are not priced the same. The India price for these is very top heavy indeed.
I m sure you will agree with me after you do a bit of internet trawling on these prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow

If u so desire you should look at the Safari Gx (on road 13lac in Mumbai) or wait for the Storme both which give you all what u ask for. I am sure Scorpio too have equivalent stuff in some of their versions....
Thanks but no thanks. Never again would I wish to even consider either of the above as my personal vehicle.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th June 2012 at 05:35. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 27th June 2012, 22:53   #1263
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

I have been following this thread with a hope on getting news on the final options available! I am dismayed at the prospect of Duster petrol not having ABS, Air bags etc. Any one knows concrete information on that?

I must be one of the few fools left in India looking forward to a petrol car but thats what my usage pattern is
Old 27th June 2012, 23:29   #1264

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
What is the booking amount being collected in Bangalore? Can someone who made the booking in Bangalore please chime in? Are the dealers saying that there is a penalty in case of cancellation?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kiran
I booked it yesterday at Whitefield Renault. They are taking 50K as booking amount, of which 2500 will be deducted while claiming refund in case you cancel the booking. Right now you can mention Petrol/Diesel variants only. Color and variants can be changed later.
ravikanojia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 23:43   #1265
BHPian

The UK seems to have ESC and ASR as an option for 350 pounds. Curiously the India spec list abs, ebd and airbags but no word on esp and asr.

Since the car is being manufactured here it will be a real shame, infact mindbogglingly absurd if this is not offered in India, especially given its a relatively inexpensive 350 pounds extra.
Old 28th June 2012, 03:59   #1266
BHPian

This is really strange if your information is true Raul. I hope Renault does bring in the ESP in the Duster.
Old 28th June 2012, 04:30   #1267
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul
The UK seems to have ESC and ASR as an option for 350 pounds. Curiously the India spec list abs, ebd and airbags but no word on esp and asr.

Since the car is being manufactured here it will be a real shame, infact mindbogglingly absurd if this is not offered in India, especially given its a relatively inexpensive 350 pounds extra.
Absolutely spot on! And these Airbags, ABS and EBD are only in the top diesel variant I believe?
I guess petrol users have powerful guardian angels to look after them!

The same way that abroad one is allowed to use a car configurator and literally build all the options into the machine one wants and pay the price for the same, we should be allowed to spec it up the same way over here too. I mean if I were to freak out with the UK Skoda Yeti car configurator program, I end up speccing my Yeti to a price level of GBP 32000, which is the equivalent of Rs 27 lacs or so! As it stands, the Indian Elegance Yeti is the same as the UK Experience Yeti more or less and the cost for this version there is about 22000 or 23000GBP which equates pretty much to what we pay here in India on road Bangalore.

I totally agree that the Electronic Stability Program and Anti Slip Regulation is a great boon and keeps one safe in terms of cornering and handling etc. The relatively cheap price of GBP 350 for the Duster means another 30 odd thousand rupees! Why not offer it as an option to discerning consumers?

I just cannot understand why, if we are so very important as a country, to all these global players, they cant start at least offering us what they offer abroad.

Let the consumer be the judge of what he/ she wishes to take!

I think, at least in from the relatively well travelled, well informed intelligentsia or urban, semi- rural, professional group, they will find a significant number of takers.

It s probably a question of which came first the chicken or the egg!

Incidentally I just used their car configurator on Dacia Duster UK and specced up a dummy top spec 4x4 Diesel variant called Laureate. I went to the absolute top spec levels by simply choosing every possible thing in sight. The RRP came out as GBP 18445 or so. Say about 15 odd lacs??

I think it is worth that kind price provided I can choose the spec the way I am able to, abroad!

Why do I have to be treated in my own country on an ' one size fits all' level? The world has indeed moved on. We all are of different shapes and sizes, strengths, and aspirations. Each of us different priorities too.

Give us also a car configurator so we can choose for ourselves! Charge us a fair price for the spec and we will pay for the same too.

Slap on a waiting period on so that orders can get fulfilled easily , properly and as per a pre- agreed schedule! Respect my time!

The mature consumer will certainly pay and wait for what he/ she wants!

Renault and all you others out there in the vehicle manufacturing world, Stop treating us Indians as lesser mortals!!

Our lives are worth just as much if not more to ourselves, than the Euro lives!

Considering that we are one of the largest and fastest developing markets in the world, why don't you show some bl$$dy initiative and get ahead of the curve in serving us as per Global Standards? Why must we remain at the butt end of treatment, especially when we are also paying consumers?
Can someone take this to Marc Nassif if there is a contact available off the forum? I have no contact in Renault any more so cannot make these views known to the powers that be.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th June 2012 at 04:55.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 07:55   #1268
kcz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikanojia View Post
I booked it yesterday at Whitefield Renault. They are taking 50K as booking amount, of which 2500 will be deducted while claiming refund in case you cancel the booking. Right now you can mention Petrol/Diesel variants only. Color and variants can be changed later.
Thanks Ravi. Any word on when the vehicle will be ready for display? I guess test drives will start only after the official launch.

Thanks,
Kiran
Old 28th June 2012, 09:25   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Stability package, traction control etc requires the 4WD hardware to be present right? Do they offer it on the 2WD version in UK?
Old 28th June 2012, 09:37   #1270
BANNED

I do not think that these features like ESP, ASR, TCS etc are dependent on the 4WD hardware.

Cars like the Hyundai Elantra and Skoda Yeti etc have it even on their 2WD versions so I guess it should be possible for Renault Duster too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Stability package, traction control etc requires the 4WD hardware to be present right? Do they offer it on the 2WD version in UK?
Old 28th June 2012, 10:22   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a look at these pics of a customized Duster (Courtesy: IAB). Guess this will start giving people ideas about serious offroading. Only wish that they would also launch the 4x4 variant!
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-customizedduster3.jpg
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-customizedduster5.jpg

More pics also available on:
Some ideas to modify your recently booked Renault Duster

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th June 2012 at 10:24.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 10:38   #1272
BANNED

Nice!

You know I have seen one or two Toyota Fortuners here in Bangalore which are done up more or less like this pic.

They look ready for anything - Amazon Jungle Trail after lunch, followed by some light clambering about the Andes Cordillera before dinner sort of thing!

The Duster's shape and styling is aggressive and hence lends itself well to such modifications. However, accomplishing modifications of this sort can cost quite a fair bit and there's always the issue with warranties etc.

Like you said - if only there were 4x4! I would again say if only there were those essential safety features too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Have a look at these pics of a customized Duster (Courtesy: IAB). Guess this will start giving people ideas about serious offroading. Only wish that they would also launch the 4x4 variant!
Attachment 948258
Attachment 948259

More pics also available on:
Some ideas to modify your recently booked Renault Duster

Regards,
Behemoth
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 11:03   #1273

i have one doubt,
Is it possible to buy a 4X2 now, and when they launch 4X4, can i convert mine to a 4X4.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:12   #1274
BHPian

ASR (Traction Control) and ESC (Electronic Stability Control) are advanced functions built on ABS and not 4X4 / AWD. Dacia Duster in UK provides ASR (Traction Control) with ESC (Electronic Stability Control) as options for both 4X4 and 4X2 models.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:17   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Wonder how they could have mounted a spare wheel on the hatch door as it has the hinges in the top.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed