Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 11:32   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
On a lighter note Maneesh u better go with the Xuv unless u wanna purchase a black board and a chalk as an upgrade to your new duster
, let me see the vehicle and devide, XUV has the required looks but it is the mechicals which have held me back all these months.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:35   #1277
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quick Comparison : (Not a proper one - Only Yeti can be compared I guess)

Quite Wide - Not the widest though.
Just a tad taller than Ertiga & Yeti + High Ground Clearance = ? hmm....
Can park easily. (lesser than Manza/Rapid's length)

A little surprised (the pictures carried me away I guess). Have to see it in person !
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-comparo1.jpg  

Last edited by DieselDon : 28th June 2012 at 11:38.
DieselDon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 12:10   #1278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Wonder how they could have mounted a spare wheel on the hatch door as it has the hinges in the top.
The only feasible way is to add a separate swingarm spare wheel carrier which supports the spare tyre and is mounted on the bodyframe / chassis. The swingarm swings to the side and then the hatch door can be opened upwards in a normal manner.
The load of the tyre also does not come on the tailgate.

Something like these (pics courtesy 4x4Community)
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-swing1.jpg

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-swing2.jpg

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-swing3.jpg

regards,
Behemoth
Old 28th June 2012, 12:31   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You're a funny man! What a funny post! Made me burst out in splits that did!

Given your requirements buddy, please certainly consider the Safari if you like the Jeep type looks since you are clear that the Scorpio ride isnt good. However, I wouuld urge you to once more check the Scorpio because there was a post a few days ago on the Scorpio Issues thread, where, apparently they seem to have tweaked the suspension some more, thereby making it more comfortable.

These vehicles will give you the comfort and space that you seek. However, I would also venture to suggest that you buy only the variants which at least come with ABS. this is now absolutely essential in such vehicles, because over the last 5-6 years the roads have progressively become more dangerous.
Also, do think on it, driving a Safari or a Scorpio as a daily driver in Bangalore with its parking woes can really be a pain. i found that to be so over the 4 years of Scorpio ownership.

You may want to check out there are some good looking used X Trails hanging around on carwale, as also a couple of used Captivas too. These are all incredibly more refined than the homegrown ones as above.
I would suggest that you wait a few days, see the Duster for yourself and then make your decision.
Thanks Shankar for the suggestion about used Captiva, It never crossed my mind. Though we never bought a single used vehicle till date in family but I am inclined now after reading GTO's pre-worshipped thread.

I checked Bangalore's captiva prices and as everyother thing in Bangy they are also over priced and way out of my budget. There are some good deals in Delhi but I am not sure how loan process going to work for that. Do banks have sometihng like pre-approved loan like one can get his/her load approoved and then look for a suitable car or I have to find a car first then apply for loan.

I think I am going OT for this thread, will refrain.

-Ijeet
Old 28th June 2012, 12:48   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Iv been following this thread lately and this looks like a really good option to me now.
As pointed out by someone the Ecosport looks kinda soft compared to the Duster.
Eagerly waiting for the launch ,hope they price it right.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:52   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Quick Comparison : (Not a proper one - Only Yeti can be compared I guess)

Quite Wide - Not the widest though.
Just a tad taller than Ertiga & Yeti + High Ground Clearance = ? hmm....
Can park easily. (lesser than Manza/Rapid's length)

A little surprised (the pictures carried me away I guess). Have to see it in person !
GC is more than that of a Scorpio, and my fully loaded Scorpio has not scrapped the ground anythime except once when I had to climb up a curb to squeeze into a hopelessly filled parking area at a mall. But I still would like to park the Duster next to my car and compare before i think of buying.

Last edited by m_upreti : 28th June 2012 at 12:54.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:58   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikanojia View Post
I booked it yesterday at Whitefield Renault.
Is there a dealer in Whitefield? Is it newly opened? I do not see this information in the Renault website. Can you please guide where it is located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
T
I checked Bangalore's captiva prices and as everyother thing in Bangy they are also over priced and way out of my budget. There are some good deals in Delhi but I am not sure how loan process going to work for that.
I think I am going OT for this thread, will refrain.

-Ijeet
I'm riding on the same boat as well. Booked an Ertiga at launch, but still no clue as to when I'll get it. Duster seems promising. Used Captiva was the first choice but as you said rightly, the prices were hovering around 13-14L mark, but my budget was a max of 12. At this, I could only find choices in Delhi, but wasn't sure how this'll work related to bank loan and re-registration.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th June 2012 at 22:31. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:19   #1283
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Everyday, i am beginning to like the Duster... This picture in particular (and Silver being my favorite colour) is pushing me to book the car, but i am holding back till the launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-untitled.jpg  

Old 28th June 2012, 13:27   #1284
BHPian

Seems like the car I have been waiting for. Now I need to dump my Baleno and get some dough!

I am, however, uncertain due to the seemingly absence of ABS/Airbag/safety features. And the 85 ps engine might be better for town-out-of-town combo.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:37   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Just a tad taller than Ertiga & Yeti + High Ground Clearance = ? hmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
GC is more than that of a Scorpio, and my fully loaded Scorpio has not scrapped the ground anythime except once when I had to climb up a curb to squeeze into a hopelessly filled parking area at a mall. But I still would like to park the Duster next to my car and compare before i think of buying.
Hi @m_upreti, Thanks ! I too think the GC is good. Loads of videos on the net showcasing the off road capabilities (albeit the 4x4 version)
My point - "Good GC" + "Shorter Height" might result in restricted head space within. Does'nt look so in the videos/photos though.
I am 5'10'' and love sitting upright and not too low. I do not want my head hitting the roof too often. Not beckoning of a SUV(mini or otherwise). IMHO.

Cheers,

Last edited by DieselDon : 28th June 2012 at 14:43.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:40   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Is there a dealer in Whitefield? Is it newly opened? I do not see this information in the Renault website. Can you please guide where it is located?
Very close to where Whitefield Honda is,but in the Outer Ring Road, before the flyover starts. Its only a few mins walk form Whitefield Honda.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 15:05   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I would be interested too. Whitefiled will be closer to my house too.
Found this in JustDial website.
Renault Palace Orchards
No.3, 124/125, Next To Whitefield Honda Showroom, B Narayanapura, Whitefield Road, Krishnarajapuram, Bangalore - 560016
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 15:24   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi @m_upreti, Thanks ! I too think the GC is good. Loads of videos on the net showcasing the off road capabilities (albeit the 4x4 version)
My point - "Good GC" + "Shorter Height" might result in restricted head space within. Does'nt look so in the videos/photos though.
I am 5'10'' and love sitting upright and not too low. I do not want my head hitting the roof too often. Not beckoning of a SUV(mini or otherwise). IMHO.

Cheers,
By looks the vehicle has a low stance while the GC is high, over all the headroom should not be an issue (even I am almost 5'10).

I personally feel that the Scorpios & Safaris are built with too much of an extra head room compromising the stability and ride quality (my father is 6 ft + and he fits comfortable with room to spare in the middle row of the Scorpio)

Comparing with similar sized vehicles like the Honda CRV & Suzuki Grand Vitara (which do not have a sizable road presence themselves) Duster is smaller if you see the actual length .
Attached Images

Last edited by m_upreti : 28th June 2012 at 15:32.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 16:14   #1289
Distinguished - BHPian

Could this be an indicative price for India?

Quote:
Dacia, the makers of the Duster, have officially launched the the much awaited compact SUV in the UK market for an astonishing £8995 (7.98 lakhs INR).
Quote:
The pre-order starts today with first deliveries in January 2013.
Remember, the Duster will be exported from the Chennai plant to the UK. Considering the Duster’s India launch is also in sight, the company wants to make sure that it has ample capacity for both markets
Dacia Duster launched in the UK for 7.98 lakhs
Old 28th June 2012, 16:24   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
By looks the vehicle has a low stance while the GC is high, over all the headroom should not be an issue (even I am almost 5'10).

I personally feel that the Scorpios & Safaris are built with too much of an extra head room compromising the stability and ride quality (my father is 6 ft + and he fits comfortable with room to spare in the middle row of the Scorpio)

If the seat is well sculpted, they might be able to make one sit a bit "low down" so that the head room is released despite higher GC. but hopefully this is done with enough bolstering on the seat - otherwise, long drives will be a pain on the underthighs !

your right on the extra head room in the Scorpio - always wondered how bringing downt he roof a bit would make the Scorpio so much more meaner
Closed Thread

Most Viewed