Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 22:51   #166
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Going by International reviews Duster in this state of tune is decently peppy to drive, expect it to be faster than Safari & Scorpio.
Fast, maybe, but how's the body control going to be? For instance, for all its power, the Scorpio still isn't a machine one would want to be in a hurry in.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:47   #167
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Fast, maybe, but how's the body control going to be? For instance, for all its power, the Scorpio still isn't a machine one would want to be in a hurry in.
At this point of time, we have only Internet based information to rely on. However, Duster has a lower centre of gravity and the fact that it is based on Dacia Sandero platform would mean that it will have some city-car based characteristics. Further, the overall height of Duster is lower than most of the SUVs on the road we see. Thus centre of gravity is lowered (even if we adjust for the fact that Ground Clearance is pretty substantial).

The best bet to get any sense of the capability of this machine is to read reviews they got in Argentina, France, Spain, etc. Might prove to be a decent indicator of the capability.

Don't expect it to drive like a Swift. It could be peppy (actually I don't know if I would want to use this word for Duster) but definitely not going to behave like a hatch. Better than Scorpio and Safari? Definitely.

As capable as Scorpio and Safari? Maybe. Most like 5% here and there.
Sturdy? Nah. Scorpio looks like it is build of tank. But then again Duster will have good safety standards.
Old 17th February 2012, 16:01   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Well unless you are behind the wheel of a Scorpio you dont realise how much it pumps out, However u need to have guts of steel when you take it 140+ when it starts rolling like a boat in storm and you have to have all the concentration to keep it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
At this point of time, we have only Internet based information to rely on. However, Duster has a lower centre of gravity and the fact that it is based on Dacia Sandero platform would mean that it will have some city-car based characteristics. Further, the overall height of Duster is lower than most of the SUVs on the road we see. Thus centre of gravity is lowered (even if we adjust for the fact that Ground Clearance is pretty substantial).

The best bet to get any sense of the capability of this machine is to read reviews they got in Argentina, France, Spain, etc. Might prove to be a decent indicator of the capability.

Don't expect it to drive like a Swift. It could be peppy (actually I don't know if I would want to use this word for Duster) but definitely not going to behave like a hatch. Better than Scorpio and Safari? Definitely.

As capable as Scorpio and Safari? Maybe. Most like 5% here and there.
Sturdy? Nah. Scorpio looks like it is build of tank. But then again Duster will have good safety standards.
Quiet a good analysis
And yes I am also sure it would not be as sturdy as a Scorpio, which barely takes a dent when smaller things hit it (have a live experience when a Indica rear ended me at a junction and lost the bonnet, bumper, radiator and one headlight while the Scorpio had a scratch on the rear bumper)

Last edited by m_upreti : 17th February 2012 at 16:05.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:21   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
And yes I am also sure it would not be as sturdy as a Scorpio, which barely takes a dent when smaller things hit it (have a live experience when a Indica rear ended me at a junction and lost the bonnet, bumper, radiator and one headlight while the Scorpio had a scratch on the rear bumper)
you were lucky

We have seen a picture of indica Truck accident where truck was damaged beyond recognition and broken axle.

More I watch Duster videos more I like it! Hope renault do not play spoil sport with horrible pricing.

Mini Xylo - Duster - EcoSport : These three have real chance of making their own market if priced properly.
Old 17th February 2012, 20:36   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
More I watch Duster videos more I like it!
Same here...the off-roading videos of Dacia Dusters make the vehicle look solid. Capable of handling our city and highway roads including that occasional off-roading to a hill station or beach .
Old 18th February 2012, 17:11   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
you were lucky

We have seen a picture of indica Truck accident where truck was damaged beyond recognition and broken axle.

This would be something to see, any ways my bad luck is with Indicas only, 3 bang in's tll date and in all 3 cases I came out with minor scratches.

More I watch Duster videos more I like it! Hope renault do not play spoil sport with horrible pricing.

Mini Xylo - Duster - EcoSport : These three have real chance of making their own market if priced properly.
As far as the early signs show, they are planning to place the Duster between the Scorpio and the XUV, lets see this works out to be.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 21:21   #172
BHPian

Here is a link to the actual capability of renault duster. worth to watch I think.

g_prajeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 13:51   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
Here is a link to the actual capability of renault duster. worth to watch I think.
Good video.....these Dusters carry the Renault badge.
I hope the Indian version is built to be as tough as vehicles in this video.
It’s my personal opinion; I prefer the Dacia Duster’s front grill and I’m not a fan of the chrome bodied external ORVMs of Renault Duster.
Old 19th February 2012, 14:08   #174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani
Good video.....these Dusters carry the Renault badge.
I hope the Indian version is built to be as tough as vehicles in this video.
It’s my personal opinion; I prefer the Dacia Duster’s front grill and I’m not a fan of the chrome bodied external ORVMs of Renault Duster.
For India there is likely to be more bling and chrome because the vast majority here prefer these things rather than understated elegance. Also expect the ubiquitous beige interiors! And the vehicle, sadly is going to be a 2WD only.
I don't understand why these manufacturers can't offer the discerning consumer a bit of choice atleast instead of catering exclusively to the tasteless fiends in the mass market!
Old 19th February 2012, 14:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For India there is likely to be more bling and chrome because the vast majority here prefer these things rather than understated elegance. Also expect the ubiquitous beige interiors! And the vehicle, sadly is going to be a 2WD only.
I don't understand why these manufacturers can't offer the discerning consumer a bit of choice atleast instead of catering exclusively to the tasteless fiends in the mass market!
What is the source for only 2WD vehicle being launched in the country? I am asking because right now it is left to anybody's speculation and one can read all kind of views on this thread.

I totally agree about the 'Indians love bling' aspect. Wish there was a 'less chrome' version and Renault could price it the same and make some more profit on it. I would have given them my money for that.
Animesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 14:50   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
What is the source for only 2WD vehicle being launched in the country? I am asking because right now it is left to anybody's speculation and one can read all kind of views on this thread.
The only source I remember is reading Nov version of ACI, where they explicitly stated
about on 2WD versions for India. I have not seen other concrete news on this.

Here is the article:
SCOOP! Five variants for Duster - News - Autocar India Mobile Edition

Refer:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2585089

(And the following posts on the same thread)
Old 19th February 2012, 15:08   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Another advantage with the Duster is low weight, the 85 hp Diesel 2wd/4wd version weighs only 1180/1288 kg respectively which is in the league of smaller hatchbacks. The advantages will be low emissions(135gm/km), good performance even with the small 1.5 engine(85hp does 0-100 in 13.9 secs, expect 109hp version to be faster), small car like FE(5.1L/100km= ~20kpl in Euro Full cycle) and good dynamics. Along with proper SUV ground clearance with short overhangs and good appraoch and departure angle.

Looks like a winner to me, at least on paper, enough to keep us happy till the final product arrives on our shores. Currently the top contender for my Punto replacement, if it comes with 100+hp tune and 4wd.

Here is the brochure from Renault's Egyptian website. Indian Duster is expected to have better quality Interiors and richer equipment list.
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-duster.jpg
(Click on pic to see larger version)

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th February 2012 at 15:33.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 17:39   #178
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh

I totally agree about the 'Indians love bling' aspect. Wish there was a 'less chrome' version and Renault could price it the same and make some more profit on it. I would have given them my money for that.
Suffice it to say the source is top class. Cannot reveal names obviously but 2WD is the thinking at Renault India right now. Positioning in line with the Scorpio and Safari etc. Perhaps later once they feel it is justified they may bring the top end Duster with 4WD etc and position it neatly along with the XUV or just below it.
Frankly all this chrome and bling and beige interiors etc should be options to choose from rather than the overall norm for everyone. Some of us actually like black leather interiors rather than the tough to maintain beige. Yes it does lend an airy feel to the cabin etc but that is not de rigeur for many of us here!
Old 19th February 2012, 20:28   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Suffice it to say the source is top class. Cannot reveal names obviously but 2WD is the thinking at Renault India right now. Positioning in line with the Scorpio and Safari etc. Perhaps later once they feel it is justified they may bring the top end Duster with 4WD etc and position it neatly along with the XUV or just below it.
Are we going to get both 85 & 110 bhp options? Also I feel it should be substantially cheaper than XUV to this to make a cut! Unless it has the 4x4! I don't find a reason why people would prefer this car [4x2] over XUV for almost the same price or even a lakh lesser!
Old 19th February 2012, 20:59   #180
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are we going to get both 85 & 110 bhp options? Also I feel it should be substantially cheaper than XUV to this to make a cut! Unless it has the 4x4! I don't find a reason why people would prefer this car [4x2] over XUV for almost the same price or even a lakh lesser!
It depends upon how much is Renault targetting to sell, since this product ideally should be targeted at getting at least some volume in the SUV space. Renault shall easily be able to sell a few hundreds of these per month at 1 lakh or so lower than the XUV. It seems to be a very capable SUV, hence there shall be takers for it. Plus it looks more conventional, hence maybe somebody not liking the XUV's bold looks may plonk their money on the duster.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed