Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 17:33   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Duster and XUV are crossovers
I would differ in that opinion, while Captiva, Aria are clearly positioned as crossovers, Duster (even though it shares the origins with the Logan) & XUV are indeed proper SUV's.
Old 13th March 2012, 19:54   #272
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

The Duster is at best a Crossover with strong SUV like abilities.
The XUV is NOT an SUV per se - it is merely a Crossover. A bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing if you will.

While I would unhesitatingly throw some bad roads , rough areas, off road scenarios and other tough situations at my Yeti (when I change its tyres to tougher ones) and definitely at the Duster (if it comes to India with 4WD and tough tyres), I would always hesitate with the Current Gen XUV because it has not yet bedded down in the marketplace with all its fiddly things and electronics.

I am sure as time goes by, the Gen 2 and Gen 3 XUV's will have ironed out all the hassles of the Gen 1 XUV, but I, for one, cordially decline to pay to become an M&M XUV real world guinea pig. I would much rather wait before buying that vehicle because despite all its bulk, features and attractive pricing etc, it is a first time effort for M&M and requires much more time in the real world to prove itself beyond a doubt, as the Scorpio managed to do, over time!

Plus of course I have personal issues with the XUV's fit, finish, overall quality aspects and so on which I will not compromise on.

Perhaps for an SUV/ Crossover buyer right now, it may make sense to consider this new Pajero Sport version which is based on a truck chassis. Or perhaps things like the Korando and Rexton, both of which are quite proven outside of India and may come along here at a nice-ish price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I would differ in that opinion, while Captiva, Aria are clearly positioned as crossovers, Duster (even though it shares the origins with the Logan) & XUV are indeed proper SUV's.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:26   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Duster is at best a Crossover with strong SUV like abilities.
The XUV is NOT an SUV per se - it is merely a Crossover. A bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing if you will.

While I would unhesitatingly throw some bad roads , rough areas, off road scenarios and other tough situations at my Yeti (when I change its tyres to tougher ones) and definitely at the Duster (if it comes to India with 4WD and tough tyres), I would always hesitate with the Current Gen XUV because it has not yet bedded down in the marketplace with all its fiddly things and electronics.

I am sure as time goes by, the Gen 2 and Gen 3 XUV's will have ironed out all the hassles of the Gen 1 XUV, but I, for one, cordially decline to pay to become an M&M XUV real world guinea pig. I would much rather wait before buying that vehicle because despite all its bulk, features and attractive pricing etc, it is a first time effort for M&M and requires much more time in the real world to prove itself beyond a doubt, as the Scorpio managed to do, over time!

Plus of course I have personal issues with the XUV's fit, finish, overall quality aspects and so on which I will not compromise on.

Perhaps for an SUV/ Crossover buyer right now, it may make sense to consider this new Pajero Sport version which is based on a truck chassis. Or perhaps things like the Korando and Rexton, both of which are quite proven outside of India and may come along here at a nice-ish price.
You can't be crossed Shankar .

No doubt I would never think of putting a XUV or a Duster (unless I see it in the metal) where I dare to put my Scorpio at the moment.

Pajero Sport is a good alternative but I feel it will be expensive to maintain until they start manufacturing / assembling in India.

And as far as Korean vehicles are concerned I am not too keen.

Let me wait to see what comes out in the form of the new Endeavour since the new Fortuner has been a letdown.

Last edited by m_upreti : 13th March 2012 at 20:29.
Old 14th March 2012, 07:05   #274
BHPian

^^ just adding some fuel to the fire
I have my own yardstick to determine something falls to SUV genre or not. It (yardstick) is derived from several factors (in the order):
1. Chassis - ladder frame vs monocoque vs tube-frame
2. Suspension geometry and type
3. Engine
4. relative H-point values
5. body [pillers]
6. Ground clearance
Old 14th March 2012, 09:02   #275
BHPian

Guys, great discussion going on but I think we are going little OT, by discussing more about XUV issues and crossover elligibility. Anyone has any new information about Duster? or anybody with hands on experience on Koleos?
Old 16th March 2012, 12:55   #276
BHPian

The budget definitely doesn't speak well on the expected pricing of the car (large cars). A huge leap of 5% additional tax on large cars would further add to the already inflated prices in our country. Ah duster!
Old 16th March 2012, 13:57   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Guys, great discussion going on but I think we are going little OT, by discussing more about XUV issues and crossover elligibility. Anyone has any new information about Duster? or anybody with hands on experience on Koleos?
Everything is quiet, may be the company will come out with more information after analysing the post budget impact on the pricing of the vehicle.
Old 16th March 2012, 14:01   #278
BHPian

And here comes the official note on the Renault India Website, looks like Jun 2012 launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-renault_duster.png  

soumobakshi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 20:21   #279
BHPian

I went to Renault dealer in Patiala, Padam Motors, according to them duster is likely to be launched in july with an expected price tag of 8.5 to 10 lac. No info on engine specs though. Also they mentioned that no dealer training has happened yet so launch is not that near.
Old 18th March 2012, 10:40   #280
BHPian

Waiting eagerly for the launch in June. Atleast they should have made the brochure available.

This is surely going to heat up the competition in the sub 10 lakh range where there are a very limited number of options.

1. Mahindra Scorpio
2. Tata Safari
3. Mahindra Bolero

Add to the above, Sumo / Spacio range from Tata.

Right now, people looking for compact SUV's are forced to select between the above as there is no option available.

I wish there are more such launches from other manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Maruti (they should plan to launch the Gypsy with a diesel powerplant and improved suspension, it might be a big hit).

Lets see whats in store.

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:14   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post

This is surely going to heat up the competition in the sub 10 lakh range where there are a very limited number of options.

1. Mahindra Scorpio
2. Tata Safari
3. Mahindra Bolero

Add to the above, Sumo / Spacio range from Tata.

Right now, people looking for compact SUV's are forced to select between the above as there is no option available.

I wish there are more such launches from other manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Maruti (they should plan to launch the Gypsy with a diesel powerplant and improved suspension, it might be a big hit).
Rightly said. I myself am a person looking out for an SUV capable of taking on bad roads (not off roading) and my budget is around 10-11 Lakhs. It is disappointing to see there are very limited options in this particular segment. My family has used all the available options available right now (Scorpio, Bolero, Sumo, Sumo Grande, even the Innova) except Safari, and we are looking for a change.

I hope the Renault Duster is priced right. It looks tailor made for our conditions. Lets see how it goes.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 20th March 2012 at 11:16.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:23   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I hope the Renault Duster is priced right. It looks tailor made for our conditions. Lets see how it goes.
As it is, many of the bhpians had the fear of Renault missing the target with pricing. The Union Budget has made it more difficult by hiking the excise rates. I assume a hike of ~30K will get injectedted (just my maths) for a 10L vehicle.

I too was looking for a diesel vehicle (not mini-SUV per say) in the budget of 10L that can move 5 passengers in comfort for long highway trips. Since sedans in this range (except Sunny maybe) just manage 5 passengers, I had high hopes on Duster. Moreover, Duster has the reputation of being VFM around the world. I was so eagerly awaiting the launch and announcements of price.

Now i am a little worried that Duster might move out of my budget range . The wait till June is going to be tougher now.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 14:53   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Rightly said. I myself am a person looking out for an SUV capable of taking on bad roads (not off roading) and my budget is around 10-11 Lakhs. It is disappointing to see there are very limited options in this particular segment. My family has used all the available options available right now (Scorpio, Bolero, Sumo, Sumo Grande, even the Innova) except Safari, and we are looking for a change.

Whats wrong with the Innova?
Old 20th March 2012, 20:15   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Whats wrong with the Innova?
Thats because its too big and as a 7 seater and as an MUV, may not appeal
from a styling point of view. A 5-seater SUV styled appeals to many.
Old 20th March 2012, 21:35   #285
BHPian

Agree with @Ampere. I, for one, would like to buy a 5-seater SUV. Or a nice station wagon. Combi Scout? Adventure? Skoda/Fiat - are you listening?
I am hoping that the Duster and Ecosport and other compact SUVs sell a lot and the Yeti comes down in price that I could buy
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks