Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:02   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I heard that the 1.5 litre engine supposed to be coming with the Duster is a very old one which is phased out in Europe. Is this true? Does anyone have any info about the engine?

I understand that the engine is supposed to be the same which is there currently in the Logan / Verito
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 20:25   #302
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Considering the dimentions of Duster the engine seems to be small.With full load it would need more power and more torque to be an efficient suv or will have to be compromised with the expectations.The upgraded engine might work well with Sunny or Fluence but when it comes to suv the equations can easily be changed. Renault has a good reputation and I hope Duster would fulfil the expectations.
Old 24th March 2012, 20:55   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's the same K9K engine used in Logan/Verito, Micra, Pulse, Sunny & Fluence! Need I say more?
Though the Engine block & Cubic capacity are the same but the state of tune for every set of cars is different.

In Micra & Pulse, its FGT & generates 64PS power with 160Nm torque.
In Sunny its Big FGT-Intercooler & generates 85PS power with 200Nm torque.
While in Fluence its VGT-Intercooler & generates 106PS power with 240Nm torque.

Expectedly this Sunny shared 85PS version will be shared with Duster, due to cost & practicality reasons.

But the Ironic fact about this engine is that its just a Gen-I DI diesel engine mated with Common-Rail Injection system, as against its rivals Gen-II(FIAT Multijet) or Gen-III(Honda i-CTDi) Common rail diesel engine.
Another fact is that, Both these Renault-Nissan 1.5 dCi & Ford-Peugeot 1.4 TDCi engines belongs to the same Generation(i,e: 1st) & these both are developed in almost same era.

Personally, I don't like & I'm not in the favour of these 1.5l series of Renault dCi engine, as considering the fact that this engine is too High on NVH & archaic for the Cute & sweet looking V-Platform series of Renault-Nissan cars.
I was expecting a More Soft sounding & lesser displacement Diesel engine for Micra & Pulse, specifically.

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 24th March 2012 at 21:06. Reason: Text addition
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 21:08   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
But the Ironic fact about this engine is that its just a Gen-I DI diesel engine mated with Common-Rail Injection system, as against its rivals Gen-II(FIAT Multijet) or Gen-III(Honda i-CTDi) Common rail diesel engine.
Another fact is that, Both these Renault-Nissan 1.5 dCi & Ford-Peugeot 1.4 TDCi engines belongs to the same Generation(i,e: 1st) & these both are developed in almost same era.
what do u think about Toyota Etios , VW polo and VW Vento's diesel engines? In my opinion, Etios engine is a 1st gen engine and both polo and Vento's engines are 3rd gen.
Is this right?
Old 26th March 2012, 09:57   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Though the Engine block & Cubic capacity are the same but the state of tune for every set of cars is different.

In Micra & Pulse, its FGT & generates 64PS power with 160Nm torque.
In Sunny its Big FGT-Intercooler & generates 85PS power with 200Nm torque.
While in Fluence its VGT-Intercooler & generates 106PS power with 240Nm torque.

Expectedly this Sunny shared 85PS version will be shared with Duster, due to cost & practicality reasons.

Personally, I don't like & I'm not in the favour of these 1.5l series of Renault dCi engine, as considering the fact that this engine is too High on NVH & archaic for the Cute & sweet looking V-Platform series of Renault-Nissan cars.
I was expecting a More Soft sounding & lesser displacement Diesel engine for Micra & Pulse, specifically.
I have actually taken a test drive of the Fluence just to check the NVH levels of a Diesel engine. The same K9K Diesel engine (107PS) is expected to come to the Duster.

The NVH levels were just excellent and the test car had actually done 15k , so it was not a brand new car. Of course, that's a 16L+ car that we are talking about.
Once inside , there was really no clatter and it sounded pretty much the same as a Petrol.
Though as a first time diesel driver, the Turbolag was VERY apparent to me! and truthfully I can not fathom as to how drivers live with that delayed response. They get used to it, I guess..

Coming back to the point that CRtorquefan raised - is this really an old engine? and does it not compare well to the CRDI engines that are so common these days on Diesel cars?

Does anyone have more technical info on that part?
Thanks.
P.S : did some wiki research on these Renault engines and saw that the K9K 106ps was listed as a SOHC engine. huh..
P.S: All said, the Duster is known to have a noisy engine and you really have to listen to a Micra here to confirm that info.

Last edited by BUXX : 26th March 2012 at 10:01.
Old 26th March 2012, 10:44   #306
Senior - BHPian

Can we compare the 1.5dCi to the NVH levels of the current offerings in that segment? Try comparing it with the Bolero, Rio, Scorpio & Safari. Am sure it can't be so far off that its a deal breaker for someone looking for a decent SUV in that price band!

I seriously feel that SUVs are being expected to be tall-cars and god knows how much of their character is being killed due to such expectations.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:57   #307
BHPian

^ excellent point. we need to compare apples to apples.

NVH levels aside; are the engines comparable in these SUVs ? ...and I am not talking about the Power/Torque figures, just the technology levels.
Old 26th March 2012, 16:16   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Can we compare the 1.5dCi to the NVH levels of the current offerings in that segment? Try comparing it with the Bolero, Rio, Scorpio & Safari. Am sure it can't be so far off that its a deal breaker for someone looking for a decent SUV in that price band!
Should be one among the BEST from the reviews of Sunny & Fluence! The engine is known to vibrate a bit at cold starts, but is known to be quite silent upto 3500 rpms. If you look at the Sunny diesel review, we can see that they have NOT even provided the insulation under the bonnet which speaks of the refinement! I don't think the NVH is going to be a deal breaker upto 3500 rpms where we spend most time driving!
Old 26th March 2012, 20:03   #309
BHPian

But if they are going to provide Sunny's version of tuning to 1.5DCI in Duster, its goign to be under powered for a SUV, IMO. 85BHP is not enough, something +100 should be there.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:18   #310
BHPian

The Duster was initially only sold in LHD markets. RHD Markets like UK were left out. Now it seems Renault has confirmed that the Duster will be sold in UK starting early 2013.

What is more interesting is that they have announced that the prices would start under £10k. Here is an article confirming the same:

Dacia Duster from

Just a random thought process:

An i10 imported into UK (from outside EU) costs about £8k (an approximation). The article says that the RHD version will be produced for the first time in India - much like the i10.

I am in no way suggesting that the Duster will be priced just above a hatch-back in India, but it gives us something to think about: How much can Renault play the pricing card in India.

Also, the versions for the UK will be 2 petrols and 1 diesel (108bhp 1.6-litre 16V petrol engine or 84bhp and 104bhp 1.5-litre diesels). So, can we assume that we will get a similar power trains in India as well?

Lastly, the article talks of pricing the 4WD model at around £12.5k. Again, what does that mean for us?

Come on Renault India, please don't disappoint us by pricing the Duster badly. This is one model that really has the potential to take Renault to the next level in our country.

Last edited by Aragorn : 27th March 2012 at 11:19. Reason: Factual correction
Old 27th March 2012, 11:34   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Come on Renault India, please don't disappoint us by pricing the Duster badly. This is one model that really has the potential to take Renault to the next level in our country.
I am not sure of the pricing strategy now with the additional taxes in the Union Budget and now Maharashtra increases tax on Diesel vehicles to "preserve the nature"
Old 29th March 2012, 19:22   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Was surfing through You-Tube, because i had searched for Duster earlier this video came up in suggestions. Sharing it here, i feel this is just the right amount of SUV i need, if they price it Ok and bring in the 4wd version my Punto will be ditched for sure.

.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 20:00   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Was surfing through You-Tube, because i had searched for Duster earlier this video came up in suggestions. Sharing it here, i feel this is just the right amount of SUV i need, if they price it Ok and bring in the 4wd version my Punto will be ditched for sure.
Lovely video. Is that the euro spec Duster or the South American spec one? I vaguely remember seeing 'Argentina' somewhere in the video. The 4WD looks capable, the entry and exit angles look great, the interiors are a bit dull, I think. But overall, it looks like a good package. Surely Renault must launch a 4WD Duster. If they price it very near to the XUV, then they are going to lose it. I'm optimistic though
Old 29th March 2012, 20:09   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Lovely video. Is that the euro spec Duster or the South American spec one? I vaguely remember seeing 'Argentina' somewhere in the video. The 4WD looks capable, the entry and exit angles look great, the interiors are a bit dull, I think. But overall, it looks like a good package. Surely Renault must launch a 4WD Duster. If they price it very near to the XUV, then they are going to lose it. I'm optimistic though
What I heard that it would be a Europe spec Duster for India, and lets hope that the taxes dont dampen the plans
Old 29th March 2012, 21:31   #315
Senior - BHPian

Got some Technical data on Duster. Don't know which of these variants we would be getting here in India. The 107hp tune 1.5dCi motor seems to be promising, comes with 6 cogs & produces 240Nm of torque @ 1750 rpm. This motor has a 0-100kmph timing of 11.8 seconds for the 4X2 version & 12.5 seconds for 4X4. Hope Renault has this on offer here in India.

Technical Data Duster.pdf
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks