Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 13:48   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito
If it is priced as mentioned, It'll give a very tough time to the Xylo Mini for sure. It'll also be launched around the same time. This maybe the next Innova for that segment, which is very very capable of doing stuff off-road.
From what I have heard, the mini Xylo is going to start an all open price war and is expected to start at a price of 5 lacs till 6lacs and will enjoy excise benefits on both length and engine size. This will be much lower than the duster. What the Duster will offer is a reasonably priced Suv 7-9 lacs ex-showroom with moderate power which has good space and you can take anywhere without worrying about it being expensive or getting damaged. The interiors however will be a little bland and would be very similar to the the Logan.
Regards
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 31st May 2012 at 13:49.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:40   #632
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Duster will definitely have the first mover advantage in a new segment. Mini-xylo, Chevy Spin or what ever it will be called, Ertiga etc are a different category. Renault should stick to branding it as an SUV rather than get confused by trying to pit it against the Mini Xylo-Ertiga etc etc.

The USP is an SUV alternative at sedan pricing with most of the bells n whistles of a sedan. That is enough to sell it if Renault can back it up with A.S.S. This price match scenario may not be necessary is my feel. As long as it has a decently priced Diesel mill with creature comforts, which it has, its enough to get the sales. Why price it at 6lacs and lose margins when you know it can sell at 8! Look at Ertiga as an example - First mover in the segment that customers always wanted, decent features, great A.S.S.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:51   #633
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

i checked in the Chennai showroom today if they were taking bookings but they denied the fact. When i asked that blore & other showrooms are taking bookings, they said they were not aware but they will take bookings only on July 1st. So i asked him if that was the confirmed date & he said Yes.

When i asked him the expected price, he said Petrol would be 8 to 10 lakhs OTR & diesel would be 10 to 12 lakhs OTR.

Will have to wait & watch this space for more action!
Old 31st May 2012, 16:19   #634
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Duster will be a very different animal to the Mini Xylo for sure.
I dont think they will even bother about trying to compete with that segment. Their primary target is the Safari, Scorpio, Bolero, Sumo, Sumo Grande breed and given what the Duster offers, its a no brainer in terms of choice. The only disadvantage for them is that it is a 5 seater in a market that likes its 7 seaters. Whether indeed those 7 seats are used all the time or not, is immaterial!
Given our bad roads and hunger for D Power, I feel sure this would be a runaway hit with the urban nd rural crowds. It may well wean away potential sedan and muv buyers too!
I guess if and when they do launch the 4WD top spec, it won't leave much change from Rs 14 lacs OTR BLR! I would imagine that the top spec Duster diesel 4WD would somewhere get benchmarked against the top spec Innova, Xylo, Scorpio and Safari as well as others like perhaps the Laura and their own Fluence.
Old 31st May 2012, 19:51   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
When i asked him the expected price, he said Petrol would be 8 to 10 lakhs OTR & diesel would be 10 to 12 lakhs OTR.
I sure hope not . 10L for the base diesel will be discouraging. I was hoping that even in the worst case I can get a mid range diesel for 10L OTR.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:33   #636
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster to be a price warrior: slated for Diwali 2012 launch | Motoroids

Motoroids says Diwali launch.
Old 31st May 2012, 22:21   #637
BHPian

Was on the way back from Coorg and snapped this Duster near Vellore. Could not take more snaps as the guy saw me pulling out my camera and just zoomed away. Must have been doing 140 - 150 Kmph easily. Excellent pick up.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-img_0528.jpg  

chennai-indian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 22:50   #638
BHPian

Motoroid link says 86ps for diesel engine. Isn't it less when considering 4X4. Seems underpowered to me.
Old 31st May 2012, 23:02   #639
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Was on the way back from Coorg and snapped this Duster near Vellore. Could not take more snaps as the guy saw me pulling out my camera and just zoomed away. Must have been doing 140 - 150 Kmph easily. Excellent pick up.
Good catch buddy. The car has a good stance, wide and not too high. The car should have good road grip and stability on the highway. 140-150 kmph is good and that too in a burst. Did you notice any black smoke when the Duster accelerated so fast?
Old 31st May 2012, 23:12   #640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
That is a near production ready duster. Minimal camouflage and even has the matte chrome door handles. The white tape is for the panel gaps final checks.

Looks like the Duster launch is around the corner.
Old 31st May 2012, 23:17   #641
Team-BHP Support

And the fact that the guy sped off at real high speeds also talks about the torque and the stability of they product.
Hopefully it has good low end grunt to make it a nice city ride as well.
Old 31st May 2012, 23:21   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And the fact that the guy sped off at real high speeds also talks about the torque and the stability of they product.
Hopefully it has good low end grunt to make it a nice city ride as well.
From what I have got to know, it will have very good low end and mid range grunt. I am eagerly waiting to TD the car once it arrives the showroom. It's not too far though.
Old 1st June 2012, 07:44   #643
BHPian

Hopefully just one month to go before most of our doubts get cleared.

Don't we have someone who is actually close to the Manufacturing department of Renault India? Someone who can give more information on the capacity that is already installed and what kind of numbers are we going to see every month for the first 3-6 months of the launch of Duster?

This is definitely a stunning (my version of Plain Vanilla looks) SUV and enough said about the pricing that people expect. But, that is what is going to make or break Renault's fortune for now.

Renault: Don't screw up. Don't.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:04   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Motoroid link says 86ps for diesel engine. Isn't it less when considering 4X4. Seems underpowered to me.
What will matter is the P-W-R & the Torque. Why do you think the 4x4 part will adversely affect the available power ?
Old 1st June 2012, 09:14   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What will matter is the P-W-R & the Torque. Why do you think the 4x4 part will adversely affect the available power ?
I think 4x4 will weigh a little more than 4x2. While 86 ps is good enough for 4x2, it may be less for 4x4.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks