Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 11:12   #781
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think 'positioning' is important or folks are going to be disappointed. Since the Duster is not designed to be 'premium' in any way the interiors and the design reflect that, and Renault must create the right expectations. Or there will be a huge wave of negative opinion.

Duster has taken off in other regions and folks like it not because of interiors or design but because its a robust no nonsense vehicle that delivers the basics with no fuss. There is nothing remotely luxurious, no plushy interiors though the 2012 version has been improved somewhat. The Duster 2012 videos on Youtube reflect this. I think folks will struggle to justify anything above 11 OTR . If Renault wants volumes it needs to get the positioning and pricing right.
I completely support this point of view. Clearly Duster is not being positioned for great interiors. I hope it can deliver good ride for 5 passengers.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:21   #782
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

The cars really look like they can handle some rough with the ground clearance. Also, the width should offer good stability.
Still, Renault could have improved the finish of the exteriors and interiors.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:28   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
You have exactly echoed my thoughts. On looking at that picture that was the first impression I had in my mind. I checked the Duster brochure & the Unladen height/with roof rails is specified @ 1,625/1,695mm. (which converted to feet/inches stands at 5'4"). The man in that picture must be definitely more than 5'6" (though being well built), hence the relatively lower stance of the Duster.
So am I correct in thinking that the driving dynamics would be much better than probably a Scorpio with the low stance of Duster? By that, what I mean is, there should be very minimal body roll and a better responding steering?

Duster, on road looks good, but does not really give that mean SUVish look. Looks more like a blown up hatch?

In my opinion Duster's overall look and feel is much similar to the good old Tata Sierra, albiet with five doors. If that is the case, Duster again climbs up on number one in my list!! (Contamplating on buying a new car/SUV)

Cheers!
Old 12th June 2012, 11:58   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
So am I correct in thinking that the driving dynamics would be much better than probably a Scorpio with the low stance of Duster? By that, what I mean is, there should be very minimal body roll and a better responding steering?

Duster, on road looks good, but does not really give that mean SUVish look. Looks more like a blown up hatch?

In my opinion Duster's overall look and feel is much similar to the good old Tata Sierra, albiet with five doors. If that is the case, Duster again climbs up on number one in my list!! (Contamplating on buying a new car/SUV)

Cheers!
Agreed. However Duster with complete set of chrome accessories will look quite macho while being drivable in the city. Bull bars, array of lamps, roof carriers, side steps, big fat tires and voila! We have a babe magnet.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:57   #785
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't the current Renault/Nissan vehicles give us a fair idea of what to expect in terms of fit-n-finish? Duster is definitely a mass product for Renualt in India so am hoping renault maintains the fit-n-finish we have come to expect at least from Sunny.

So assuming we get the fit-n-finish of the Sunny at least, is that good or bad wrt to the Scorpios & Safaris?
Old 12th June 2012, 13:07   #786
Senior - BHPian

Given that competition for the Duster is from the Scorpio/Safari, i guess if interiors are a few notches above the Micra/Sunny - its a good thing. while the plastic quality in the Micra/Sunny is good, it does "lool" very down market. i personally would be fine with that rather than having a fragile dashboard which only looks premium but starts falling apart very soon
Old 12th June 2012, 13:16   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Shouldn't the current Renault/Nissan vehicles give us a fair idea of what to expect in terms of fit-n-finish? Duster is definitely a mass product for Renualt in India so am hoping renault maintains the fit-n-finish we have come to expect at least from Sunny.

So assuming we get the fit-n-finish of the Sunny at least, is that good or bad wrt to the Scorpios & Safaris?
@Nilesh: Let us understand that the Duster is not a outright Renault product per-se. It is a vehicle developed to cater to developing markets. So, expect Logan / Verito like fit and finish and not something on the lines of Pulse / Sunny.
Old 12th June 2012, 13:18   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

I would say that it is wrong to expect Sunny level of finish from the Duster, as it is built on the Logan platform. You can expect a similarity of 80% with the Logan interiors. The Duster is the same platform as the Logan (Now Verito) and shares a majority of interior parts with the same.
It will certainly be better than Scorpio / Safari in terms of build quality, but in terms of aesthetic / electronic features and gadgetry, don't expect too much. The saving grace though is that you should be able to get a third party entertainment system cum navigation device fitted without too much fuss.

You can see some good interior pics on the Renault middle east website:
http://www.renault-me.com/cars/NewDuster/overview.html

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th June 2012 at 13:23.
Old 12th June 2012, 13:24   #789
BHPian

A lot of videos on youtube show the older interiors. I found 2 that are quite likely exactly what will be lauched in India in terms of interiors and exteriors, and its a good video to get a feel for the newer Duster. Its pretty basic, I think Micra may be better.

Old 12th June 2012, 13:43   #790

This is my first ever post into this forum - being a recent member!
I got following this thread as I am looking to buy a good diesel vehicle at around 10 to 11 lakhs OTR Bangalore and had co-incidentally homed on Nissan Sunny and Renault Duster - since I'm still in two minds sedan or SUV. First my respect for this forum has gone UP several notches for the quality of discussions and personal insights. And Abbey4u for sharing the Duster Specs - great scoop. I had a question specifically on Duster. I read somewhere that it comes with R16 tires. Would R17 be more appropriate for Duster given it's muscular looks? Looking for technical and non-technical inputs on pros and cons. Is that a conversation one needs to have with the car dealer at the time of purchase?
Old 12th June 2012, 14:22   #791
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn

@Nilesh: Let us understand that the Duster is not a outright Renault product per-se. It is a vehicle developed to cater to developing markets. So, expect Logan / Verito like fit and finish and not something on the lines of Pulse / Sunny.
A very good, insightful post. Well said. It is after all, touted as the worlds cheapest SUV.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:30   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can see some good interior pics on the Renault middle east website:
Overview - Duster - Renault Range | Renault UAE - Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait
This page (under Comfort and Safety section) shows two different dash boards. Compare the first and third image. Do you think this is an error in the content or is it by design. I mean is the dash board different across variants? Will it be the same in India?
Old 12th June 2012, 14:34   #793
BHPian

Another question which has been lurking in my mind for some days now is wether Duster will come with a 5 speed gear box or a 6 speed gear box in India? Any information on this?
Old 12th June 2012, 14:56   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Another question which has been lurking in my mind for some days now is wether Duster will come with a 5 speed gear box or a 6 speed gear box in India? Any information on this?
Whatever I have heard, the plan is to launch the base kind of versions to keep the prices down to start with it will be a 5 speed gearbox
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 15:07   #795
BHPian

Hey Guys:

Check out the first video. The fuel cap is being opened by a key. The specs on previous post mention "remote cable operated fuel lid release". Does this mean you can open the fuel lid remotely but the cap still needs a key to open??

Regards
Closed Thread

Most Viewed