Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 12:34   #1156
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I have couple of questions for my fellow bhpians...
1. Can the steering of any car be changed easily? For e.g., can the Koleos steering be used for Duster (i am not a fan of the steering in Duster)
2. In SUVs, does the rear parking camera suffice, or are the sensors essential?
These questions might be off topic, please pardon me for that..
Regarding point 1, I am not sure, but I dont think so. If you mean only the steering wheel then yes, only the wheel can be changed for asthetic purposes but the steering rack assembly is not interchangable generally.

For point 2 it depends on the size of the Suv. Generally Suv's have poor rear visibility especially behind the rear bumper lower down, hence the assistance of the sensors or a camera. A camera should be better than a sensor, however a sensor system dumbs down the process, if you follow it, you will not hit anything period. However sometimes some sensor systems do not detect obstacles...
Old 24th June 2012, 12:43   #1157
BANNED

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

For those who are confused between Duster and the EcoSport this might help..
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-ecodust.jpg  

Old 24th June 2012, 14:21   #1158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite similar when one factors in the Ford's spare wheel. However, main difference is the width: The Ford is hatchback-width while the Duster is a Hummer in comparison :-)
Old 24th June 2012, 14:34   #1159
BHPian

I posted the link earlier but it seems some may not have not seen it. The Duster is as large if not larger than the Yeti, more in the Kuga range rather than the smaller ecosport.

Posting pics below, all from romanian site Comparativ Duster vs. concuren. Detailed pics and comparisons of Duster vs Ford Kuga, VW Tiguan, Yeti, Qashqai and Tuscon.

It would be a nice value add if reviewers review new cars with some other cars that folks are familiar in the image for context and perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsskodayeti102.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsskodayeti103.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsskodayeti104.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsfordkuga102.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsfordkuga103.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsfordkuga104.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsvolkswagentiguan103.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsvolkswagentiguan104.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervshyundaitucson105.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervshyundaitucson104.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervsvolkswagentiguan102.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustervshyundaitucson106.jpg  

Last edited by raul : 24th June 2012 at 14:49.
raul is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 14:44   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Quite similar when one factors in the Ford's spare wheel. However, main difference is the width: The Ford is hatchback-width while the Duster is a Hummer in comparison :-)
Pictures could be quite deceptive. There is a considerable difference in the wheelbase of both the vehicles. The Duster wheelbase measures 2673mm. Though we are not aware of the exact specs of the Ecosport, the current Ecosport's wheelbase in Brazil measures only 2490mm ie 183 mm less than the Duster. The smaller wheelbase of the Ecosport has made it possible to fit within the 4m length restriction (excluding the spare wheel). The new Fiesta based on the same platform as the Ecosport has a wheelbase of 2489mm. (as per the Fiesta TD & Review thread -->http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html)

Last edited by AutoIndian : 24th June 2012 at 14:48.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 17:32   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Posting pics below, all from romanian site Comparativ Duster vs. concuren. Detailed pics and comparisons of Duster vs Ford Kuga, VW Tiguan, Yeti, Qashqai and Tuscon.
This site has a lot of information. Clearly on the outside Duster seems to pip Yeti. I hope all that has translated into practical inside space. What everyone will look for is the Duster should at least be a proper 5 seater, even if it can't be the traditional 7/8 seater.
The rear ac eats up leg room even in the Yeti. I have seen this personally the last time I was in a Yeti. It does become a bother for the person sitting in the middle.

Last edited by sumeshmani : 24th June 2012 at 17:39.
Old 24th June 2012, 18:31   #1162
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani
This site has a lot of information. Clearly on the outside Duster seems to pip Yeti. I hope all that has translated into practical inside space. What everyone will look for is the Duster should at least be a proper 5 seater, even if it can't be the traditional 7/8 seater.
The rear ac eats up leg room even in the Yeti. I have seen this personally the last time I was in a Yeti. It does become a bother for the person sitting in the middle.
The Yeti is a very competent and decent 4 seater. 5 people will always be a tight squeeze in it.
I do not like the concept if someone sitting in that half seat in the middle and I anyway dislike taking more than 3 passengers in any of the vehicles I have owned, simply on account of comfort and space.
Thankfully we never really subscribed to the 'big fat Indian family' ideal.
If we really need to transport squads of people at the same time, I think the investment in an Innova or Xylo rental is called for.
Old 24th June 2012, 19:39   #1163
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
For those who are confused between Duster and the EcoSport this might help..
Good effort, but I think the photos of cars are on different scales. I have seem both the cars in flesh (not next to each other), but the Renault is easily bigger than the Ecosport.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 23:47   #1164
BHPian

I saw the Duster being driven along Padappai-Vandalur road, the driver stopped near Vandalur and the details I could see in the top end variant (claimed by the driver) was
*Single A/C vent for the rear between front seats with blower control
* 5 seater
*Flap type door handles look cheap
*USB / Aux in Stereo
*Overtly flared wheel arches look good and add to butch image from side
*Similarly the running board was sculpted or designed excellently that it looks like a side step from a distance.
*Comes with rear parking sensor
*ORVM adjustment switch control between front seats.

And my pricing for this car is not more than 10lakh ruppees.

Last edited by narchennai : 24th June 2012 at 23:52. Reason: modify info
Old 25th June 2012, 00:31   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai View Post
I saw the Duster being driven along Padappai-Vandalur road, the driver stopped near Vandalur
Did you stop and take any photographs, especially of the interiors? Please do upload them if you did.
Old 25th June 2012, 00:48   #1166
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Did you stop and take any photographs, especially of the interiors? Please do upload them if you did.
There is a fair deal of photos available on the net (Autocar, Overdrive, Zigwheels, etc.,). The interiors are not bad and is liveable.

I'm very eagerly waiting for the Team-BHP Official review to take a call on this. With the rains expected in a couple of months in Chennai, this will be a good buy. I just hope this Romanian car is free of any niggles.

Last edited by MAS : 25th June 2012 at 00:51.
Old 25th June 2012, 06:52   #1167
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

As a parting shot, if I were to compare my use of a Yeti and a Duster, in general because the Duster is cheaper and less plush and so on, I would tend to use it quite hard, the way I used to use my Scorpio. i do use the Yeti quite the way it is meant to be used, but if I am brutally honest, there is always going to be the psychological thought about the cost of the car and consequently 'slight' kid glove treatment meed out to it. The biggest problem with the Duster for me, is the lack of some of the safety stuff as standard and the lack of the international version's 4WD. Since I was fortunate enough to have a solid inkling of these clear lacunae in the Duster for India, when I was seriously seeking my next car, around 8-9months ago, I am so very glad indeed that I went and bought the Yeti because it gives me what I want and need in a nice package.
I think I have basically become more comfort loving than otherwise, hence the choice.
Old 25th June 2012, 08:56   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
There is a fair deal of photos available on the net (Autocar, Overdrive, Zigwheels, etc.,). The interiors are not bad and is liveable.

I'm very eagerly waiting for the Team-BHP Official review to take a call on this.
I was hoping to get a clear photograph of the leg room without the A/C vent. Most of the photos out there are dull, thus don't show the details well.
I hope the official review comes soon...and the car gets launched early next month.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:06   #1169

I got to know that Duster has a 107bhp motor. Expected a lil more power from a SUV. Though a 6 speed box would be a boon on the highways.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:43   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $t@llion kh@n View Post
I got to know that Duster has a 107bhp motor. Expected a lil more power from a SUV. Though a 6 speed box would be a boon on the highways.
I think the power to weight ratio will be good. For the sake of comparison, I'll use Skoda Rapid (one of my favorite cars).

Rapid's kerb weight is 1205Kg and generates 250Nm @ 1500rpm (from the Skoda India website)

The ACI article say Duster has a 108.5bhp engine, 25.3kgm (~250Nm) of torque @ 2250rpm and kerb weight of 1308Kg

If comparing against a Sedan, roughly in the same power/weight band is not good enough, let's have a look at Scorpio. From the Mahindra website:
Max. Gross Torque: 290 Nm @ 1800-2800 rpm
Gross Weight (4x2): 2510Kg (kerb weight was not given)

Duster's 108 bhp engine looks good enough. Please correct me if any of my points were wrong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed