Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:38   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju
A feeble attempt at making the B & C pillars black. May be one can get some stickers and do it as DIY job.

A side by side comparison
The blacked out pillars looks really good.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:43   #1382
Team-BHP Support

I'm very confused about one thing. Does the back seat split and fold, perhaps 60:40 or 50:50 or something like that or is it a single bench? The various images I've seen are confusing me and seem to show different possibilities.

Please can someone who's seen the vehicle being launched in india clarify on this? To my mind, particularly given that this is a 5 seater instead of 7 seater, rear seat split is crucial for flexibility.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:46   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Guys in the pics posted by Damodar the door handles are the pull type but earlier reports suggested the old flip type ones. is there a differentiation between base and top model ? also would be good to see what all is stripped off in the lower variants ! so close to the launch but still couldnt resist posting this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wonderful!

Looks really nice and purposeful.
Am very glad indeed that the vehicle ' in the flesh' seems to live up to every bit of its promise!

Sincerely wish Renault a lot of good luck with their sales and I also hope that they see significant success with this vehicle, which in turn causes them to seriously consider bringing in the specced-up version with all possible safety kit, 4WD and other bells and whistles to India.

Looks also that we will have a good number of Dusters on TBHP!
agree to this. if this car is launched at a good price, i too wish it lot of sucess for the right signals it will send to Renault and other manufacturers.

if the pricing is inline or lower ( ) than what is predicted in the forum, i am definetly picking up a Duster ( just need to find a good buyer for my OHC so that i can make the downpayment for the Duster )

Last edited by noopster : 2nd July 2012 at 16:20. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:55   #1384
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys in the pics posted by Damodar the door handles are the pull type but earlier reports suggested the old flip type ones. is there a differentiation between base and top model ? also would be good to see what all is stripped off in the lower variants ! so close to the launch but still couldnt resist posting this !
I guess all models come with 'flip' type only, it just body color/chrome based on variant.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:06   #1385
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

These seem like they are all the Top 110 RxZ variants..Only the RxZ have Alloys as standard.

The way the Brochure was worded, it seems all other variants, except RxZ will recieve a lot less Chrome. Including Black radiator grille.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:17   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77
I'm very confused about one thing. Does the back seat split and fold, perhaps 60:40 or 50:50 or something like that or is it a single bench? The various images I've seen are confusing me and seem to show different possibilities.

Please can someone who's seen the vehicle being launched in india clarify on this? To my mind, particularly given that this is a 5 seater instead of 7 seater, rear seat split is crucial for flexibility.
AFAIK, the rear bench is not split but a single bench.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:50   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Nice set of pictures.
Is it at dealership?

My favorite would be White with smoked Rear and Black Alloys with red lip.
The more is see Duster,more i like it.
It seems Ecosport is losing already to Duster in terms of looks.
I would say the relative looks of Duster versus Ecosport are a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion, the Duster looks about a decade older in design than the Ecosport. Although the Duster is recently designed and launched, it seems cobbled together without a unifying theme from various late 90s/early 00s SUV designs. Almost as though the project was started and put on deep freeze a decade ago and then resurrected and rushed to market without any updates. For instance, the flip type door handles popular in the old Ford Rangers, the Korean-style rounded rear windows popularized by Hyundai in the previous generation Santa Fe (Hyundai has itself left this theme far behind now for more edgy designs), narrow tail lamps popular in late 90s-model Nissan Pathfinder, square head lamps of the 90s vintage Ford Explorers etc. Also, from the side profile you can spot the confusing combination of curves and straight lines in the overall visual design, as though the designers just could not decide which way to go with the design ethos and so ended up with a compromise to use both. The rounded AC vents are classic Nissan-small-car (e.g. Micra) and the "kinetic" alloy wheel design is hardly innovative anymore.

On the other hand the Ecosport has a much more "unified" and well thought out design - every aspect of the design is really edgy and sets the bar for a futuristic look. The focus is on flowing straight lines throughout. The narrow headlamps are very contemporary. The tail lamps look as stylish as the Audi Q3.

A French colleague, on a recent India-visit, explained to me why Dacia-sourced designs such as the Logan and Duster are so ugly. Renault wants to make a clear distinction in Continental Europe between its own cars and Dacia cars. Consumers there generally do not think of these as coming from the same manufacturer. The company wants to pitch these two brands to two entirely different segments - it wants to be doubly sure there is no chance of a consumer mistaking one for the other. This is why a Renault design such as the Fluence are elegant and flowing in their looks and Dacia designs such as Logan or Duster are intentionally made to look abrupt and unrefined - so that the consumer can never make the mistake of thinking they are from the same manufacturer. Obviously the company does not rate the aesthetic instincts of Indian consumers high enough to be worried about this aspect in the Indian market!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd July 2012 at 10:55.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:59   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I would say the relative looks of Duster versus Ecosport are a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion, the Duster looks about a decade older in design than the Ecosport.

On the other hand the Ecosport has a much more "unified" and well thought out design - every aspect of the design is really edgy and sets the bar for a futuristic look. The focus is on flowing straight lines throughout. The narrow headlamps are very contemporary. The tail lamps look as stylish as the Audi Q3.
Whilst I agree with you about EcoSport being more contemprary design as opposed to Duster. I feel that Duster comes out to be more imposing design as opposed to EcoSport thanks to its length and flared wheel arches.

Duster reminds one of a smaller version of Fortunner and EcoSport comes across as a small CRV (soft roader). Therefore all the hardcore SUV fans on a budget will go towards Duster...
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:22   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Looks great with modifications. Blacking out the pillars makes it look more airy from the outside.
Its indeed a very good alternative to diesel sedans and hope Renault prices it same.
Is the 2WD FWD or RWD?

Last edited by srishiva : 2nd July 2012 at 11:25.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:29   #1390
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
AFAIK, the rear bench is not split but a single bench.
Absolutely right. The rear rear is just one bench with no 60:40 folding. This must have been avoided to reduce cost. I just hope Renault is able to price it well.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:33   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Renault wants to make a clear distinction in Continental Europe between its own cars and Dacia cars.
This is a very valid strategy, something like what VW and Skoda follows - but in the case of Renault, it is in a slightly more differentiated manner.

Quote:
Obviously the company does not rate the aesthetic instincts of Indian consumers high enough to be worried about this aspect in the Indian market!
Actually, this may not be the reason. Renault may not be thinking that the market segment above Rs. 10L may grow much in numbers, to warrant a separate brand in India. Also this may be the only product from the Dacia stable that they be bringing in the near future. Yes, as you said, Renault may also have assessed that the product may not adversely affect their brand

Strange, because they were so bullish about Indian market they committed Rs. 4000 Cr as investment. But they are following it up with a very vague brand building strategy. No common person is aware of the brand Renault. If at all, it is associated with Logan (Don't see Pulse/Fluence helping them much).

We need to see how the Duster brand is perceived by the Indian market - whether it reinforces the Logan image or it allows them to break out of the low-cost-low-end-product shackles.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:50   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A French colleague, on a recent India-visit, explained to me why Dacia-sourced designs such as the Logan and Duster are so ugly. Renault wants to make a clear distinction in Continental Europe between its own cars and Dacia cars. Consumers there generally do not think of these as coming from the same manufacturer. The company wants to pitch these two brands to two entirely different segments - it wants to be doubly sure there is no chance of a consumer mistaking one for the other. This is why a Renault design such as the Fluence are elegant and flowing in their looks and Dacia designs such as Logan or Duster are intentionally made to look abrupt and unrefined - so that the consumer can never make the mistake of thinking they are from the same manufacturer. Obviously the company does not rate the aesthetic instincts of Indian consumers high enough to be worried about this aspect in the Indian market!
There is another reason for this ugliness. Straight lines and panels are cheaper to make and Dacia is their basic, cheap car brand.

I don't think its fair to say Renault doesn't think much of Indian aesthetics. What they do understand is that this market has different levels of sophistication and needs. Some people want a basic car at a good price, others want the best and latest. Hence the Fluence and the Duster will sell side-by-side. Renault obviously can't use the two-brand strategy in India because the parent brand itself is relatively unknown.

Last edited by StarScream : 2nd July 2012 at 12:52. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:59   #1393
BHPian

Got a call from Renault India confirming the launch date of 5th July in bangalore. Should be expecting a call from the Bellary Road dealer for a test drive soon. Looking forward to it.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:21   #1394
BHPian

Has anyone from TBHp support been contacted as yet for a test drive ?
If yes when is the first report expected for the benefit of our wonderful community ?
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:35   #1395
BHPian

Hi All, i have booked the Duster and have been informed that the car will be launched on 4th of July and will be available for TD from that day. I can TD and choose the variant.

There are apparently 300 bookings in Bangalore already and delivery time for my booking would be around 2-2.5 months
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks