Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:42   #1411
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

12-14 lacs OTR Blr! That was pretty much what I had surmised but I had imagined one would get the 4WD at that price. 14 is way too high for the top spec 2WD variant.
I don't think it is really fair to compare the Duster with XUV because they belong to two different classes entirely. The Duster is likely to have a better quality of fit and finish overall and if nothing else, it is a proven vehicle abroad, in some pretty harsh conditions too, which is moe than can be said for XUV.

Lets see how it is when it launches day after tomorrow!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2012 at 13:56. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:54   #1412
BHPian

Is there a teambhp review of the duster in the pipeline? Does anyone know if the mods have managed to get their hands on this beast?
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:09   #1413
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Guys on TATA Sky an advertisement is being shown that Duster will be launching in 3 days.
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:29   #1414
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
Is there a teambhp review of the duster in the pipeline? Does anyone know if the mods have managed to get their hands on this beast?
Mods have neither accepted nor denied having had a go at Duster. Very confidential I guess . We'll just have to wait for the chaos that's bound to happen on 4th. One thing that will be clear as glass will be the price. Everyone has a price that they think is reasonable in their mind. So either Duster will be in or out for most of them as soon as price info gets out.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2012 at 14:19. Reason: Removing excessive dots (.....like......this....). Please avoid, thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:48   #1415
BHPian

Any idea about the colors available.Been following this thread since it started.Finally the wait will be over.Many have been complaining about the body colored pillars but a simple job at any of the guys who do number plates will do the job.Its not expensive at all.Blackened pillars do make it look sleeker.
Wonder what accessories would be available in the after market.I've also seen many pic online with tailgate mounted tyre.
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:15   #1416
BHPian

Even if the Mods have driven the Duster (which they almost certainly would have), expect the review to be up only when the pricing is announced.

Another perspective critical to this launch is that an ambitious (or obnoxious) pricing of Duster might just lead Ford into pricing the Ecosport inappropriately. This is a segment waiting to be created and wrong pricing would only increase the queues of the XUV.

Last edited by amit_2025 : 3rd July 2012 at 01:24.
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:37   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Even if the Mods have driven the Duster (which they almost certainly would have), expect the review to be up only when the pricing is announced.

Another perspective critical to this launch is that an ambitious (or obnoxious) pricing of Duster might just lead Ford into pricing the Ecosport inappropriately. This is a segment waiting to be created and wrong pricing would only increase the queues of the XUV.
As per my knowledge only Autocar and BSMotoring have got a chance to carry out a test drive. their verdict is on their respective sites as well as given in the renault website.

If T-BHP folks have indeed done a Test drive then it would be foolhardy for them to wait and miss the thunder. Pricing and review are totally unrelated items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
12-14 lacs OTR Blr! That was pretty much what I had surmised but I had imagined one would get the 4WD at that price. 14 is way too high for the top spec 2WD variant.
I don't think it is really ir to compare the Duster with XUV because they belong to two different classes entirely. The Duster is likely to have a better quality of fit and finish overall and if nothing else, it is a proven vehicle abroad, in some pretty harsh conditions too, which is moe than can be said for XUV.

Lets see how it is when it launches day after tomorrow!
Pricing would be between 7-10 lacs ex showroom. This translates to 8.5-12 Lacs on road. 14lacs on road is at least 2 Lacs more than the reasonable price or Duster.

Duster may not be of quality fit and finish as it is built to cost (This is the feedback given in the two reviews done by Autocar and BSM).

A car proven abroad doesn't justify it would not have teething problems here in India. With the high localization content I see problems will exist for first 1 year.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:07   #1418
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I have a clear contrarian view on this.

If the Duster 2WD top spec with safety stuff comes in at 12 lac thats fine - OTR BLR that is.

One was rather hoping for a 4WD with full safety specs and personally had I been in the market I would not have grumbled at 14 lacs, considering that I need to pay that much for the Scorpio VLX 4WD anyway!

However, I do believe the Duster is well proven in the less developed Euro zones like Portugal, Spain, Rural France, Eastern Europe, North Africa etc, all of which countries are in some way comparable to us here. Yes there will be a high localization content but that doesn't necessarily have to mean niggles. I mean our auto ancillary industries are not exactly primitive!

The XUV on the other hand is a brand new design and possibly hadn't been tested sufficiently in real world conditions - especially its electronics. In any case M&M have been known for some amount of mechanical prowess but certainly not in Design, Electronics, Ergonomics and fit, finish and finesse.

I believe the Duster will score in these areas and hence, is likely to be less niggle prone than the XUV, which in turn, translates into greater value for the consumer.

Anyway, it is only a matter of another day and all speculation should be hopefully put to rest!

Its been around one full year of speculation, opinions and points of view on this vehicle. Clearly one of the more eagerly awaited launches.

Pray that the unveiling satisfies at least 75-80% of our collective expectations - in terms of the product, its quality, its pricing and all other parameters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
As per my knowledge only Autocar and BSMotoring have got a chance to carry out a test drive. their verdict is on their respective sites as well as given in the renault website.

If T-BHP folks have indeed done a Test drive then it would be foolhardy for them to wait and miss the thunder. Pricing and review are totally unrelated items.

Pricing would be between 7-10 lacs ex showroom. This translates to 8.5-12 Lacs on road. 14lacs on road is at least 2 Lacs more than the reasonable price or Duster.

Duster may not be of quality fit and finish as it is built to cost (This is the feedback given in the two reviews done by Autocar and BSM).

A car proven abroad doesn't justify it would not have teething problems here in India. With the high localization content I see problems will exist for first 1 year.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:09   #1419
BHPian

@ DieselFan:
^^ Yes.. very true.. All new manufacturing here with the quality of India components, you never know of any surprise..

Change does bring challenges !

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd July 2012 at 23:04. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:57   #1420
BHPian

This is the list of Renault outlets in Bangalore, for both sales and service...
(got it from Renault India website)
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-renault.png  

Old 3rd July 2012, 11:42   #1421
BHPian

I am waiting for the Tbhp review too. Wonder why it is taken so long? My guess is Tbhp would have declined to give 'favourable comments only' in the review OR guys at Renault didn't like Tbhp's previous review. In any case its their loss.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:51   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
I read that Ranault is not launching the 4X4 version in India, nor the car will come with Automatic Transmission.

This is really sad. Automakers are still treating India like a third world country but still making a beeline to launch new vehicles.

Looks like I will have to for an XUV only or wait for Storme.
^^ Well Said. The general tendency of auto-makers seems to be to extract the maximum from unsuspecting and new-vehicle hungry "consumers", while at the same time treating them to sub-par products (with the possible exception of Hyundai / Maruti). Absence of Diesel automatics in B/C segments is an evidence of the same. I am sure Renault can not reasonably explain why 4x4 is not being launched here, and the absence of an automatic. Where is the Innova Automatic? Isn't it the auto-makers job to educate consumers what is good for them and what they deserve? Is my expectation wrong? Why are we happy with getting treated like unwanted pests? With people queueing up behind Duster, they will be emboldened to treat us like how they are treating now. Thanks for reading my rants.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:48   #1423
BHPian

My observation is that if Renault were to launch the Duster with a 4x4, only a small percentage of the buying public would opt for it, whereas 95 percent of the junta at-large here will rant about it not being an option! Same with the automatic! Having said that, an A/T certainly figures right on top of my wish-list, with a 4x4 being desirable too. But I do find the rampant, speculative indignation mildly amusing.
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:59   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
My observation is that if Renault were to launch the Duster with a 4x4, only a small percentage of the buying public would opt for it, whereas 95 percent of the junta at-large here will rant about it not being an option! Same with the automatic! Having said that, an A/T certainly figures right on top of my wish-list, with a 4x4 being desirable too. But I do find the rampant, speculative indignation mildly amusing.
+1
My 2 cents:
4x4 variants have not been traditional best sellers, especially when a cheaper 2wd variant is available. While many of the members here would love to get their hands on a 4wd car, how many would actually ever go offroading in it? I myself have owned a 4x4 Scoprio, but for the vast majority I used it in 2wd mode. This of course, doesn't apply to the offroading enthusiasts or those who drive extensively to areas which require 4wd... but honestly, how many of us fall in that category? The primary market for the Duster would be in urban India, where 4wd isn't strictly required.
A 4x4 variant (and an automatic too) would be good to have, definitely, and in all probabilities, Renault would look to introduce these down the line after the Duster brand is established.

In any case, I am really looking forward to the launch of the Duster. Fingers crossed, Renault gets their pricing strategy right!
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:59   #1425
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
Is there a teambhp review of the duster in the pipeline?
I am scheduled to be spending ~2 days with the Duster soon. Our comprehensive review will be up on the 3rd Saturday of July.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks