Team-BHP - SMS confirmation on renewing PUC
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   SMS confirmation on renewing PUC (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/114116-sms-confirmation-renewing-puc.html)

I renewed the PUC for my Corsa and before the guy could even hand over the receipt, I heard my phone ring.

Here's the SMS I received :

"Vehicle AB 12 CD 3456 is Passed emission test, with certificate no. A123456789 valid till 11-07-12. Commited to Reduce Pollution:Transport Department,Karnataka"

Another thing I noticed - the PUC certificate has the amount of the certificate mentioned i.e. Rs. 75/-

Going by the message, I guess the Transport Dept. has a computerized record of a lot of details for a vehicle.

MODS : I'm not sure if this SMS is sent in other cities in Karnataka or other states so please edit the title accordingly.

Interesting. I just renewed my PUC yesterday. He took down my cell number, but I did not receive an SMS. This is a good reminder system for PUC due.

I think this would only work if on the RTO records they have your correct mobile number, the PUC guy taking mobile number will most probably not update the RTO records.

In my Baleno i never get the SMS, hopefully in my new Civic i will start getting it once the PUC is needed to be done.

The PUC guy will ask you your mobile number and the SMS is sent instantly to this mobile number when the vehicle passes PUC.

If someone gives this idea to Cadbury's, they may actually make an advertisement out of this. Kuch meetha ho jaaye, Pappu paas ho gaya. :uncontrol

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 (Post 2643870)
I think this would only work if on the RTO records they have your correct mobile number, the PUC guy taking mobile number will most probably not update the RTO records.

In my Baleno i never get the SMS, hopefully in my new Civic i will start getting it once the PUC is needed to be done.

My car is non-KA so the RTO doesn't have any records of it or mine.

The guy took down my phone no. and it was after he'd submitted the readings that I got the message.

I was surprised that he even asked me for my no.; realized why after I saw the message.

Such system is not in Delhi/NCR. These guys just do the PUC test and give the certificate. And in Delhi they have increased charges for four wheelers to Rs. 100. Value addition is just one hologram on the certificate:Frustrati.

But I hope such system should also be implemented in Delhi/NCR.

I had done the PUC for my Car and my Bike at the same time (about three days ago). For the Car (2008 Civic) the SMS came in immediately but for the bike (1996 Roadking) no SMS so far. I guess it also depends on the age of the vehicle.

Additionally, the certificate has changed from the "Green sheet" to a plain white sheet / printout. Hope the traffic cops accept the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanam (Post 2643932)
I had done the PUC for my Car and my Bike at the same time (about three days ago). For the Car (2008 Civic) the SMS came in immediately but for the bike (1996 Roadking) no SMS so far. I guess it also depends on the age of the vehicle.

Additionally, the certificate has changed from the "Green sheet" to a plain white sheet / printout. Hope the traffic cops accept the same.

Don't know about age; my car is a 2005.

It stopped being a green sheet at least a year ago. The last 2 PUC certificates for my car were just a printout.

In fact, when I got that printout I had a feeling it wasn't genuine. Checked with some other pumps and they confirmed that it was indeed the format.

How does this SMS thing help? I mean, I am anyway standing at the station getting the PUC done. Why do I need an SMS saying I did the PUC! It would have made sense if I get a reminder when the PUC is about to expire.

All I can see is an opportunity for these guys to collect and sell valid mobile numbers to telemarketers.

BTW, last time even I got a plain sheet certificate, but it had a hologram on it for authenticity.

Regards,

Thats a good initiative to keep the reminders about the PUC. No such thing exists in Mumbai/Thane atleast, in that way B'loreans are a step ahead.:thumbs up

@Libran
Did you get the PUC done at some RTO authorised unit or at a petrol bunk? Where did the SMS come from? From the guy who did the PUC or RTO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2644482)
@Libran
Did you get the PUC done at some RTO authorised unit or at a petrol bunk? Where did the SMS come from? From the guy who did the PUC or RTO?

I got it done at a RTO authorized unit stationed at a petrol bunk.

The message came from LM-045064; one of those mass messaging nos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2644494)
I got it done at a RTO authorized unit stationed at a petrol bunk.

The message came from LM-045064; one of those mass messaging nos.

Sorry for sounding stupid but the guy who did the PUC sent the info to RTO and RTO in turn sent a SMS. Is that it?

Arent the PUC units at petrol bunk or on the roadsides (in Maruti Omnis) RTO authorized. Just for my understanding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2644495)
Sorry for sounding stupid but the guy who did the PUC sent the info to RTO and RTO in turn sent a SMS. Is that it?

Before the PUC test begins, the guy fills in all the car details on a form on the computer. When he clicks Submit, the form is printed and you get the message.

So, looks like the form is connected to a central server.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2643781)
I renewed the PUC for my Corsa and before the guy could even hand over the receipt, I heard my phone ring.

Here's the SMS I received :

"Vehicle AB 12 CD 3456 is Passed emission test, with certificate no. A123456789 valid till 11-07-12. Commited to Reduce Pollution:Transport Department,Karnataka"

Will they be ready to make this paperless affair? Can we just show this SMS. :D

Anyway, nice one. I did PUC last month, he never asked my mobile number and got no SMS !!!

Where did you do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 2644502)
Where did you do this?

This was at MATS Fuel Station; the HPCL bunk right after Cosmos Mall, near CMRIT college.