Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 23:26   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch new Swift DZire in February

Why is that the Auto variant has a different stereo?? And probably because of the cam resolution, the interior quality looks one step below that of the Odmag interior pic. I would have loved to have the ACC in black though!

Auto
Maruti Suzuki to launch new Swift DZire in February-1.jpg
ZDi
Maruti Suzuki to launch new Swift DZire in February-2.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th January 2012 at 23:32. Reason: Adding pics
Old 16th January 2012, 23:47   #47
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why is that the Auto variant has a different stereo?? And probably because of the cam resolution, the interior quality looks one step below that of the Odmag interior pic.
Not only is the Audio HU different, it also does not have an Auto Aircon. I guess the automatic is being offered in VXi variant, which is lower than the Z variant. May be MSIL did this to keep the price of the Auto variant on the lower side.
Old 16th January 2012, 23:49   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

The ACC in that beige looks really downmarket in the pictures atleast. I hope it looks better in real. Why do car makers experiment so much. ACC is something that I have always seen in black.
Old 16th January 2012, 23:52   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Copying the content from the other thread! Adding couple of points from Odmag review as well.

And here is the first impression report from ACI.
  • Engines : 1.2L 86 bhp petrol & 1.3L 75 bhp Diesel [same as Swift]
  • The beige plastics in the dash enhance ambience
  • Rear space better than current Dzire
  • Boot space, at 316 litres is a whole size down on the old car
  • Auto option ONLY on the mid VXi trim
  • Auto is well mated, but jerky under hard acceleration
  • Softer suspension at the rear, but higher body roll than Swift.
  • ARAI-tested figures of 19.1kpl for the manual petrol and 23.4kpl for the diesel
  • Maruti will announce pricing on February 1 at the car’s launch - mostly same price as of now.
Details here: New Swift Dzire review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

Additional points from ODMAG:
  • Maruti claim that the car is all new from the A-pillar rearwards
  • The new Dzire is 25mm taller as well.
  • The kerb weight is the same as the Swift that it’s based on.
Details here: 2012 Maruti Swift Dzire first drive - Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I guess the automatic is being offered in VXi variant, which is lower than the Z variant. May be MSIL did this to keep the price of the Auto variant on the lower side.
Its confirmed by couple of mags that the Auto will ONLY be available in VXi. I had notified that in the other thread! I believe the Auto will be priced more or less same as the ZDi version.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th January 2012 at 00:01.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:31   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Though the rear looks better than the current dzire, overall its as bad or as good as the current one. But it will definitely sell. Only sore point will be the reduced boot space for most people.

Like others metioned, bringing in the auto is a good sign. If that clicks, we can expect auto from the competitors as well.
Old 17th January 2012, 10:58   #51
BHPian

What about the Safety options on Mid Variant - Are we getting ABS in VXI/VDI - Can some one through some light on this.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:19   #52
BHPian

The new DZire looks better than the outgoing version especially the side and rear profile. The beige interiors look good IMO. Makes the cabin look airy and spacious. The wood trim and the center console all good acceptable.

Now, if this car had an A/T version in the diesel, that would have made things interesting. With just about 100L additional boot space over the Swift, only the ones for whom the boot really matters might choose this car. The Swift no doubt looks and handles better; so the deciding criteria may well be "smaller boot" or "even smaller boot" for the prospective buyer. Of course, the A/T in the petrol version is another attraction over the Swift.

I'm curious to see how Maruti price this one. The top end Swift D is already 7.5L. The D Zire top end will have to cross 8L which means it is very close to the SX4 D. As a matter of fact, the current D Zire ZDi is already well over 8L.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:01   #53
BHPian

The current Dzire ZDi is about 8.15 on road in Mumbai. If the new car (ZDi) is at the same (or lower) price point, I will buy it for the following reasons :-

1) It's a Maruti (good, widespread A.S.S, unlike iffy Tata/Fiat, arrogant Skoda, non-existent Nissan/Renault, pricey Volkswagen)
2) It has a MID with average and instantaneous FE. The DDiS has fantastic FE :
3) It has an adequate boot for city use and minimal turning radius for a three-box
4) It is perfect for a family of 4 and can handle the occasional visit from parents
5) It's got a gorgeous Electric Blue colour!
6) It has ACC, ABS, Airbags, Decent space in a diesel car AND doesn't look cheap (unlike the Etios). Decent audio with steering controls is a bonus! Bluetooth can be added on later, but in Mumbai, cops will fine you if you use a Bluetooth while driving! Hence not missed!
7) It is not low slung like the Figo, but still has good handling
8) You can put a Pete's box in it!
9) It's reliable - I have heard of Swifts with more than 100k kms on the odo.

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 17th January 2012 at 12:31. Reason: Added ABS, Airbags, Audio comment, Skoda/Nissan/Renault/Volkswagen comment
Old 17th January 2012, 12:03   #54
BHPian

The car seems to have a better presence than the current Dzire. The front and rear 3/4 view is good but IMO the side profile is quite abrupt in its appearance. The beige interiors are a definite plus and required to differentiate the hatch from the saloon.
The auto option on the diesel would have set the sales charts on fire IMO.
Now awaiting a full test to understand the ride and handling bit.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veels n Rhodes View Post
What about the Safety options on Mid Variant - Are we getting ABS in VXI/VDI - Can some one through some light on this.
ABS w/ EBD only for VXi AT.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:42   #56
Team-BHP Support

I'm just thinking aloud here. It looks like Maruti is going to be laughing all the way to the bank with this Dzire.

- For starters it's within 4metres so it will get the tax exemption.
- Secondly it will be priced more than the Swift hatchback as it suposedly more premium and you get a boot.

But is it really more expensive to manufacture than the hatch? No I do not think so. Here's why.

- The hatch has a rear wiper and washer as in ZXi/ZDi trims. These are expensive addons. The rear wiper motor and electrical work required will add to the cost of the ZXi/ZDi. The rear washer needs the water spray and the reservoir. In the sedan, what rear wiper/washer??
- The hatch needs proper rubber beadings as it also isolates sound. In case of sedan, the boot is already isolated from the cabin so the just rubber beadings on the boot lid.
- The hatch door needs 2 gas struts which are not cheap. Incase of Dzire just spring loaded boot hinges.
- The hatch boot area has lots of plastic mouldings on the boot area as well as hatch door. Incase of Dzire no plastic mouldings anywhere.
- The weights are the same of hatch and sedan which means not much extra sheet metal used in sedan.
- The rear hatch glass fitting is more complex than the fixed one on the sedan.

If you think about the above points, Maruti must be saving a bomb on every Dzire compared to the hatchback Swift. To top it off they are going to charge a premium for the compact sedan.

It's almost like fooling a buyer into thinking he is getting a sedan so he has to pay more.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 12:53   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you think about the above points, Maruti must be saving a bomb on every Dzire compared to the hatchback Swift. To top it off they are going to charge a premium for the compact sedan.

It's almost like fooling a buyer into thinking he is getting a sedan so he has to pay more.
+1. You just echoed my thoughts. And this is what makes me somehow feel that MSIL in taking a risk in my opinion. Many Indian buyers will surely feel that they are basically getting a shorter car ( compared to the earlier Dzire) at exactly the same price. And this might not gel very well with a lot of buyers. Now will this rub off on the Manza sales is to be seen which I feel is a much more sensible buy since the price point is the same and you get more car per $. Ofcourse you will need to factor in the After sales.
Old 17th January 2012, 13:11   #58
BHPian

Is it just me? I thought the earlier Dzire to be ugly. The new one makes the older version look much better.

Also, the relative difference of the hatch and the sedan is getting reduced. I expect a lot of potential Dzire customers to opt for Swift instead and save some bucks.

Last edited by benzinblut : 17th January 2012 at 13:35.
Old 17th January 2012, 13:28   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm just thinking aloud here. It looks like Maruti is going to be laughing all the way to the bank with this Dzire.

- For starters it's within 4metres so it will get the tax exemption.
- Secondly it will be priced more than the Swift hatchback as it suposedly more premium and you get a boot.
Is it only Maruti who is fooling us like this? What about Tata (CS, Indigo and Manza), Fiat (Linea), VW (Vento) and Toyota (Etios)? Are they doing any rocket science to attach the boot to the respective hatch version?

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th January 2012 at 17:35. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 17th January 2012, 13:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

This is a much better job by MSIL. I don't like all that beige in the sweet cabin from the new Swift though.

But I wonder why MSIL will retain the current DZire along with this new one in the market?

I read in ACI that they want to position the old DZire in the taxi segment. Now, why would they want that? Aren't the image concious manufacturers trying their level best to get away from the taxi segment? for ex: Toyota.

And for sure, the Taxi market will binge on the DDiS. Does MSIL have enough MJD even with their latest agreement with Fiat to meet the numbers? Remember, the Ertiga will also be coming out soon.

Then there is the case for SX4. The current DZire is the biggest challenger for the SX4. Despite the VGT DDiS, the SX4 has failed to take off. And 2 DZires will simply price the SX4 out of the equation even further. I feel, if there is only the new compact DZire available with its modest boot, there will be more takers for the SX4.

Last edited by deetjohn : 17th January 2012 at 13:36. Reason: Adding text.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks