Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 17:29   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch new Swift DZire in February

Man this one feels even more weird than the older version. And the dual tone of dash is sad. They should have gone for one color like the swift. Makes it look more elegant. And where are Maruti getting their alloys from.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:18   #77
Senior - BHPian

Agree with GTO that its all about bottom line.
All said and done, I think this will be the only sedan to be replaced by a compact sedan, atleast in India. And only MSIL can dare such a move, because they know that once the car is badged "MSIL", it will sell. Hell, even if they pick up the duds from other manufacturers and sell them under their badge, they will sell like hot cakes.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Instead of making it a CS, MSIL could very well have made it a EH - Enlarged Hatch. This would have liberated a lot more head space for rear passengers and at the sime keeping the boot size similar (even more if you consider the space after removing the rear parcel tray).
[(Sorry for the very bad paint job)
I completely agree with prth. Look wise I think this one looks better balanced design than the previous model, but would have been cheaper
Old 17th January 2012, 18:54   #79
BHPian

Hi Bala,

This one looks much better than the old Dzire and something which would actually create a sense of Dezire to own rather than the one existing, which people bought just bcoz its Maruti with good set of engines.

Auto box in Diesel .... well if Fiat dont have it for the 1.3 diesel engine so Maruti cant either (neither they have the knowhow nor auto box mating it would be easy).

I would be interested in the 1.2 petrol auto, if it really is what it seems in pictures.

Cheers to Maruti but for pricing they are taking Indians for a ride.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:13   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the whole reasoning behind this was to keep the DZire from eating into the SX4's sales. Even after being launched with a diesel unit, the SX4 hasn't exactly set the charts on fire, because of the more VFM "proper booted" sedan offering in the DZire.

All the dynamite features of the Swift + a huge integrated boot, and who in their right mind would go for the costlier SX4?

Now, with the new facelifted Swift having a smaller boot (~200L?), people who want a bigger boot with the same characteristics of a Swift can go for the DZire CS (remember it was initially marketed as "a Swift with a boot"), which would now justify the tag on the rear - "Swift DZire".

And for those who want a proper sedan with a proper "huge" boot, there comes in the SX4. It is overdue for an upgrade, IMO, and we might very well see an upgraded SX4 (or a similar C-segment sedan) in the latter half of 2012.

Smart and safe thinking by Maruti.

Now their offerings are more properly placed and they should be looking at increased sales across these 3 segments - Swift, DZire CS & SX4 (or it's replacement) - through 2012 and beyond. The DZire badge alone should get the CS version many takers. People already find it much more proportionate than the older version, plus with the DDiS unit and "150 new features", it should find many takers.

As for me - ugly just got uglier. The DZire was never an attractive looker (for me anyway), and this one looks more odd and quirky with it's shortened boot. The old DZire didn't tick any boxes in the looks department, and this new DZire erases any remaining ticks the older one might have "accidentally" left.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 19:52   #81
BANNED

Good that Maruti didn't do any chrome blunder to the front grill like current DZire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
In my opinion a sedan version of cars like Swift, Fabia can never look prefect until the designer do something about that "Blacked A-Pillar" which sharply turn towards the roof.
Exactly my thoughts! See my thread on this topic: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...beautiful.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I think the whole reasoning behind this was to keep the DZire from eating into the SX4's sales.
And for those who want a proper sedan with a proper "huge" boot, there comes in the SX4. It is overdue for an upgrade, IMO, and we might very well see an upgraded SX4 (or a similar C-segment sedan) in the latter half of 2012.

Smart and safe thinking by Maruti.
All reasoning are OK until you don't think beyond Maruti. But once you reach SX4 budget, there are other stylish and equally / more VFM brands available in the market. Then Maruti may loss some numbers.

Heard earlier that Suzuki is developing a bigger sedan based on new Swift. IMO, Maruti has to introduce this bigger-proper Swift sedan with a length of 4300mm and with 90BHP DDiS (from SX4) and K14 (from Ertiga) / M16 (from SX4) engines in the price bracket of 6.5L - 8.5L. That would give them a good share of the upper C-segment sedan category, where SX4 fails continuously.

But Maruti, if you do that, please get rid of that squarish A-pillars to make it a proper sedan. Make it curvy like Esteem / City, and see how the looks improve! The squarish A-pillars suit only for hatchbacks and SUVs.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th January 2012 at 20:06.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:55   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
But is it really more expensive to manufacture than the hatch? No I do not think so. Here's why.

- The hatch has a rear wiper and washer as in ZXi/ZDi trims. These are expensive addons. The rear wiper motor and electrical work required will add to the cost of the ZXi/ZDi. The rear washer needs the water spray and the reservoir. In the sedan, what rear wiper/washer??
- The hatch needs proper rubber beadings as it also isolates sound. In case of sedan, the boot is already isolated from the cabin so the just rubber beadings on the boot lid.
- The hatch door needs 2 gas struts which are not cheap. Incase of Dzire just spring loaded boot hinges.
- The hatch boot area has lots of plastic mouldings on the boot area as well as hatch door. Incase of Dzire no plastic mouldings anywhere.
- The weights are the same of hatch and sedan which means not much extra sheet metal used in sedan.
- The rear hatch glass fitting is more complex than the fixed one on the sedan.

If you think about the above points, Maruti must be saving a bomb on every Dzire compared to the hatchback Swift. To top it off they are going to charge a premium for the compact sedan.

It's almost like fooling a buyer into thinking he is getting a sedan so he has to pay more.
Far more than that. The hatch is heavy and complex to design and make. = Costly. And the bodyshell to which it is attached is essentially a tube. With one end open. Making it rigid enough costs in terms of money and weight. Why do you think the Nano does not have a hatch!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 09:51   #83

Maruti claims that the new Swift Dzire as atleast 150 new features. Can anyone list atleast 15-20 Key new features of new swift Dzire as compared to old Dzire?
Old 18th January 2012, 10:27   #84
Senior - BHPian

I keep thinking about 150 features etc claims by Maruti. It might well be true but how much are we really bothered about it.
Aria came up with a lots of firsts for its segment. Frankly no one cared, not even many auto enthusiasts.
Additionally, we all know the New Swift had many additon to it. But eventually, if someone asks me if the new Swift is worth so many so called "additional features" compared to price of old Swift I would rather prefer the old one.

What is the point when someone steals the tax breaks benefits and gets the car to us, just providing additional features.

Just my opinion. Dont think the numbers count what features are the key here.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

150 new features is hard to believe. Did the new Swift have 150 more features than the older model? I don't think so. Heck, I don't even think the Swift has 150 more features than the M800. Maybe it's 15 and 150 is a typo. Or Maruti is going to announce new features like "new" headlamps, "new" taillamps, "new" bootlid, "new" stylish front grill, "new" two-tone interiors, "new" chrome surround on AC vents, "new" fake wood trim, "new" stylish alloy design, "new" compact boot etc.
StarrySky is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 10:48   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Or Maruti is going to announce new features like "new" headlamps, "new" taillamps, "new" bootlid, "new" stylish front grill, "new" two-tone interiors, "new" chrome surround on AC vents, "new" fake wood trim, "new" stylish alloy design, "new" compact boot etc.
There you go, you got it right buddy , last few of your features are mind boggling funny man, am in splits with "new stylish alloys"

I remember the "Swift Glam" had such kind of advertisements with new interiors and blah blah. 150 is hard to believe, the pics have nothing special in them compared to new Swift until they quote reduced length and beige upholstery as a new "150 part feature"

I didnt like the gearshift lever covered with beige, thats one part which i would expect to get dirty like anything in our country, the beige color looks too light as per the pics and would get dirty soon.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 10:57   #87
BHPian

Lol. I am sure its not '150' extra features, it is '150' new features that differentiates the new dzire from old. Quite an obvious thing considering the car to be 'All new' and not just a mere facelift. So its bound to have the new things (changes in exterior,interior, few mechanical alteration,some new features etc) and which not essentially means new gadgetry.

I think its the exclusivity in its segment that works for Dzire.
What competition has Dzire got in the market ?

Manza ? I am sure Tata isn't very popular with private owners.

Verito ? Again Mahindra can't match Maruti's popularity among private owners.

Sunny ? Nissan is still unknown to many

Etios ? Yeah it could have been but the price and cost cutting let it down. Diesel in particular

Had there been a Hyundai entry level sedan with a diesel mill (and competent pricing) then things would have been different.
Even a VW sedan below Vento or Honda sedan below City could have given dzire some tough time.

See how SX4 is struggling !
Old 18th January 2012, 11:55   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
And only MSIL can dare such a move, because they know that once the car is badged "MSIL", it will sell. Hell, even if they pick up the duds from other manufacturers and sell them under their badge, they will sell like hot cakes.
I don't quite agree with this - its not that MSIL have not had their share of duds!
Baleno, Zen estilo, A-star, Kizashi? even the SX4 doesn't do well in its segment!
Old 18th January 2012, 15:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

New maruti Swift Dzire: First Drive by Vikram Gour of Zigwheels:
New Swift Dzire: First Drive Page - 1| Zigwheels.com

Some of the new features:

1. Dual Tone Dash Board
2. Integrated Stereo
3. Climate Control A/c
4. Frount Dual SRS Airbags
5. Brake Assist
6. Engine Drag Control System

Thanks,
Old 18th January 2012, 15:20   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
New maruti Swift Dzire: First Drive by Vikram Gour of Zigwheels:
New Swift Dzire: First Drive Page - 1| Zigwheels.com

Some of the new features:

1. Dual Tone Dash Board
2. Integrated Stereo
3. Climate Control A/c
4. Frount Dual SRS Airbags
5. Brake Assist
6. Engine Drag Control System

Thanks,
Most of the above feature are already available in current version of Dzire

1. Dual Tone Dash Board
2. Integrated Stereo - Present in current version
3. Climate Control A/c - Present in current version
4. Frount Dual SRS Airbags - Present in current version
5. Brake Assist - Present in current version
6. Engine Drag Control System - Not sure

Figure of 150 new features as claimed by Suzuki seems to be unrealistic to me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed