Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 11:56   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
You mean to say the Moose test was designed like that to show that Grand Cherokee can kill you in such maneuvers? :P

Rephrasing my question, in a normal use-case, a driver would at best do one sudden swerve to either the left or the right lane. The next swerve to come back to the original lane wouldn't be as sudden as shown in the videos, right?
The test is laid out to see how the vehicle behaves in sudden swerves. Also, notice that the other 2 cars from other manufacturers passed the test quite comfortably. Even though each manf has different type of mechanics, their point is, the JEEP should have fared equally at least. 2 wheels in the air for such kind of vehicle at such speed shows that something went wrong with the ESP/traction control.
Old 15th July 2013, 15:11   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
[/left]

Makes me wonder, in the test, why do they try to get back on to the original lane rather than just shift into an adjacent lane and continue forward for some time before swerving back? I know it wouldn't be possible if there is something else that's blocking the adjacent lane, but come on, what are the odds of it happening?
On a two lane undivided highway, not getting back into your lane means driving down the wrong side of the road. So, the second swerve is to avoid oncoming vehicle.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 12:05   #108
BHPian

Spotted the Jeep Wrangler yesterday (17/7/13) at Sholinganallur junction, Chennai. Has two passengers with the vehicle bearing MH registration plates. The driver took a right turn at relatively high speed, probably testing the vehicle. IMHO, the vehicle looked very stable.
Old 18th July 2013, 20:11   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
On a two lane undivided highway, not getting back into your lane means driving down the wrong side of the road. So, the second swerve is to avoid oncoming vehicle.

Absolutely correct. Here NH has undivided highways in the mountain areas and moving into a side lane is for passing only. Once you are done you need to move back into your lane as their might be a car coming on the other end. Similar to how you would overtake in India

That being said, I personally came to near death situation with a moose crossing on the road. I was new to the NH area and was travelling to Albany,NY and my GPS took me through (Vermont Highway 9) a weird way which consisted of unpaved road and local highways with pitch dark unlit roads. The speed limit was 55mph and i was cruising along at 58 and nobody on the road listening to the music. Suddenly I saw a pair of legs and eyes shine right in front of me (a moose is taller than a car and you can barely see the upper body of the moose if he is too close) I swerved my car (honda civic) in the other lane as that was my first reaction if something comes in front of you. My car was serving left and right as i was trying to keep it on the road and tried to gain control of my steering while letting it loose a bit so that it was stable. I also wanted to be back in my lane ASAP as I saw headlights coming from the other end on that stretch of road.

I will never forget that incident in my life EVER . At that point of time I wasn't even aware of the sign "MOOSE CROSSING" and when i reached home, I googled to see and found people have died in moose crossing and rate of survival is less because when you hit a moose (unlike deer) you hit at the legs and the torso of the moose flies right into the windshield on the steering and the person sitting on the driver/passenger seat. Since then I am very careful if I see this sign and ASK everyone to be very cautious as it should not be taken lightly EVER.

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-capture.jpg

Sorry for going offtopic here :

But I think Moose test is something all SUV's need to pass as they will be carrying more people/kids and if Cherokee has failed, it is something FIAT needs to address
Fraz33r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 14:22   #110
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A member of Fiat Moto Club Facebook Page has uploaded the pics of a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was spotted at a Fiat service centre in Chennai. The Grand Cherokee has a 3 litre heart and a 9 speed auto box, and IMO it looks very handsome in the silver shade.

Source: FMC FB
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-11143395_879945408731248_3730358995023303645_n.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-11103000_879945422064580_7605464610371333417_n.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-22616_879945445397911_6716627406590188346_n.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-11009110_879945482064574_7961004659256558050_n.jpg  

//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:03   #111
BHPian

Spotted two jeep wranglers (silver-white) followed by a Grand Cherokee this evening at Mumbai's Worli seaface in Mumbai, they were being driven in a convoy and sported MH 12 / MH 14 number plates, looks like theres an announcement soon of their India launch at Fiat Showrooms.
Old 24th July 2015, 10:09   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A member of Fiat Moto Club Facebook Page has uploaded the pics of a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was spotted at a Fiat service centre in Chennai. The Grand Cherokee has a 3 litre heart and a 9 speed auto box, and IMO it looks very handsome in the silver shade.

Source: FMC FB
OMG, this is a looker.

Great to see classic stylings in these days of curved looking so-called "SUVs." Can't afford it right now, but if I could, I would be line line for the bookings.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:14   #113
BHPian

They have lot of interesting vehicles in their line up. Eager to see what they launch here.

Really liked the new 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawlk http://www.jeep.com/en/renegade/#mod...egory=standard
Old 24th July 2015, 11:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post

They have lot of interesting vehicles in their line up. Eager to see what they launch here.
It's such an irony that FIAT have more interesting lineup of vehicles than their real interest in 'Lining up' the vehicles in India!!

I mean common FIAT, only thing that you folks seem to be doing in India is selling engines and scoops. Launch the God Damn Punto T-jet, 1.6 MJD in Linea, etc. The last real media interest that FIAT really created was Aventura launch, which I believe is about a quarter old.

That interest also died down faster than the sales of the car!!
Old 8th August 2015, 16:17   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jeep Grand Cherokee & the Wrangler twins (Sport & Unlimited) have been caught testing in a convoy, by the Motorbeam team.

Fiat India is likely to launch these iconic cars sometime during 2016.

Quote:
For those wanting the iconic Jeep look, they can look at the Wrangler Sport and Wrangler Unlimited models which get the much known Jeep front grille along with the round headlamps. The others who yearn for more luxury can take a look at the Grand Cherokee which is a proper luxury SUV.
While the Wrangler Sport is powered by a petrol engine only in every country it is sold in, it is likely that the same 3.6-litre V6 petrol engine will power it here too.
The Wrangler Unlimited which is the 4-door version gets a more practical 2.8-litre diesel engine producing a healthy 197 BHP of power and 460 Nm of torque.
The Grand Cherokee gets a bigger diesel engine in the form of a 3.0-litre V6 turbo-diesel which produces 247 BHP of power and a mammoth 570 Nm of torque.
Since the testing of the vehicles has restarted in India, the launch is expected by the beginning of 2016.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 17:22   #116
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a black Grand Cherokee in Pune recently. It was MH 12 registered, however I could not click any pics due to traffic. Not sure if it was a private import, but it looked amazing. The big and brawny American icon is full of character !
Old 8th August 2015, 18:17   #117
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

There was an article in the TOI the other say which touted the starting prices for JEEP at 15 lacs.
I guess this means a bare bones version with no specs at all and I also am guessing that everything that one may want, will come as an "optional extra" and on top of that one shall need to pay taxes, insurance and the rest of the evil governmental levies!
Old 8th August 2015, 19:32   #118
BHPian

I've had an opportunity to drive a Grand Cherokee Larero V8 for some time. Although it was an awesome vehicle to drive, I have my doubts on the possibility of its success in India.

It is a full size SUV. The way auto pricing is happening in India, it would priced in the range of German SUVs. And if that happens, that would be a death nail in its coffin.
troublemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:41   #119
BHPian

I have more hopes from the rumoured "Compact SUV" from Jeep. Unless Fiat can pull a rabbit out of its hat, the wrangler and Cherokee will be priced out of any hope of "volumes" right from day one.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

The finalisation of the dealerships are going in a big way. At this pace we can expect early 2016 launches. Pricing would be the deciding factors for these beauties. Abarth brand coming to India would help to a certain extend. At last Fiat is on the roll for good.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed