Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 08:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Jeep all set to enter India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
No! these cannot be compared, when a vehicle is launched in India initially the manufacturer prefers to play by the numbers instead of concentrating the business on the small fraction of people who can afford this vehicle.

so obviously the Jeeps which will be launched will be stripped off their regular goodies and may turn to just the basic models.
I understand that a vehicle can be made cheaper by stripping it of equipment. But it is also true that there traits of refinement, capability, and mechanical sophistication that are inherent to a vehicle that are reflective of the engineering that underpin the design.

At the low end, the grand cherokee is comparable to (and regarded superior to the likes of the Toyota 4Runner). At the high end, it is comparable to the even the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S! And the M version of the X5, and in that comparison test, rated higher than than the Range Rover Sport super charged (and that was the previous grand cherokee)!!

Equipped with a 3.0L turbodiesel, it will have the engine performance comparable to a Land Rover LR4. Off road, it is also in the same league as the LR4 and the Prado. In terms of refinement and sophistication, its in the same league. So where will it fall short?

Gadgets and gizmos? what gadgets and gizmos do the LR4 and the Prado have that a 45 lac grand cherokee won't, that will definitely make the Grand Cherokee a lower tier vehicle?

I am not talking about prestige and status factors. I am talking about the experience that the driver gets of the vehicle itself, not the reactions he expects or receives from other people.

Last edited by Harbir : 17th April 2012 at 08:28.
Harbir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 07:03   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Another news bit on the Jeep from Autocar India website:
Jeep to make India comeback with Grand Cherokee - News - Autocar India

They have mentioned that it could come in pretty soon, and has quoted Jeep's CEO Michael Manley : “We recognise that Indian customers appreciate good value and we are keen to provide that with our Grand Cherokee”.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
They have mentioned that it could come in pretty soon, and has quoted Jeep's CEO Michael Manley : “We recognise that Indian customers appreciate good value and we are keen to provide that with our Grand Cherokee”.
I believe Chrysler started its R&D center in Chennai before Fiat aquiring a stake in Chrysler. I do not know know their size or scale, or what they were doing. Probably some Homogenization of these vehicles might have started long back.
Indians have good memories of JEEP brand and if priced right, will be a great success. It will be interesting to see how they build and sell these vehicles. Are they going to be sold thru Fiat/ TATA-FIAT dealerships, or will there be dedicated JEEP dealerships. Will they be assembled from CKD kits at the Fiat India plant? Will they make the 3.0 litler FIAT engine in India? Is it possible to share this with Tata vehicles (Aria/Safari) in the future?
Things could be way different for Fiat ( and Tata), once this materializes.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I believe Chrysler started its R&D center in Chennai before Fiat aquiring a stake in Chrysler. I do not know know their size or scale, or what they were doing. Probably some Homogenization of these vehicles might have started long back.
Indians have good memories of JEEP brand and if priced right, will be a great success. It will be interesting to see how they build and sell these vehicles. Are they going to be sold thru Fiat/ TATA-FIAT dealerships, or will there be dedicated JEEP dealerships. Will they be assembled from CKD kits at the Fiat India plant? Will they make the 3.0 litler FIAT engine in India? Is it possible to share this with Tata vehicles (Aria/Safari) in the future?
Things could be way different for Fiat ( and Tata), once this materializes.
Chrysler has a sourcing arm here in India, based out of Chennai. I don't think much R&D happens out here.

With Fiat looking at opening their own showrooms, dual branding the showrooms would be a good opportunity for some brand building for Fiat. I don't think Tata-Fiat will be signing any new engine sharing deals, with the way things have gone under their current JV.
Old 7th October 2012, 18:44   #50
BHPian

Fiat confirms jeep India launch in 2013

Mods:-Don't know if this bit of news has come up earlier in the forum. Please delete if being repeated

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/jeep-c...aunch-in-2013/

Well, the SUV scene is hotting up now. Unable to decide if I should wait out.
220kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 12:13   #51
gemi_kk

Re: Fiat confirms jeep India launch in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
Mods:-Don't know if this bit of news has come up earlier in the forum. Please delete if being repeated

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/jeep-c...aunch-in-2013/

Dont be so happy man, The government is up there, watching eveything. Planning to make more MINT from all of us. It definitely will pull down from Luxury vehicles either by increasing the tax to 30% or by raising the diesel prices.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 12th October 2012 at 12:15. Reason: Correcting some statements.

Old 12th October 2012, 12:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat confirms jeep India launch in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post

Well 40 Lakhs would see it being bordering with the big luxury marques who have a better snob value in the market today. Average Indians will still associate Jeep with the old Willys, CJ and Mahindra. Not quite sure if this would be a good strategy unless and until they launch a good brand awareness campaign (my 2 paisa)
Old 12th October 2012, 13:48   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I don't think much R&D happens out here.
I've read that Chennai R&D Center is one of the biggest that Chrysler has outside of the US. Need to dig up the source though.

EDIT: Its the third largest R&D Center for FIAT-Chrysler worldwide. And they have over 1200 employees in the center.

Source -

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle3621226.ece

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th October 2012 at 13:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 18:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
And is Chrysler a brand that makes RHD cars for other markets? I'm not sure.
Chrysler was recently taken over by Fiat and now they are going to launch the rebranded Chrysler cars in Europe under the name of FIAT if not mistaken.

Under the same takeover FIAT launched the 500 in the US some years back. and also the Chrysler Tech was undergoing changes on account of FIAT.

So I think that Chrysler will start making RHD vehicles soon if not already started.
adilj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 22:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilj View Post
Under the same takeover FIAT launched the 500 in the US some years back.
Fiat 500 is sold in FIAT dealerships, which are different from Chrysler dealerships. Right now they are operated as 2 seperate entities. Fiat 500 cars are imported fully built. Some of the new Chrysler vehicles such as Dodge Dart are based on Fiat platform and now the Chyrsler tag line is "Imported from Detroit"!
Old 12th October 2012, 22:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Fiat 500 is sold in FIAT dealerships, which are different from Chrysler dealerships. Right now they are operated as 2 seperate entities. Fiat 500 cars are imported fully built. Some of the new Chrysler vehicles such as Dodge Dart are based on Fiat platform and now the Chyrsler tag line is "Imported from Detroit"!
Yeah you are correct. Sorry if what i said sounded misleading. They have a separate dealership but were able to come in US only after purchase of Chrysler.

The development for the new platform started way back in late 2010 and early 2011.

Did not know about the new Tag Line. Sounds good. I dont remember the one from the time I was with them.
Old 13th October 2012, 02:14   #57
BHPian

I would be more Happy if they bring the Dodge Durango along with Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like the Durango style than Cherokee.I believe both Cherokee and Durango are based on same platform.Once I drove the Durango and I liked it more than any other SUVs(compared to other JEEP SUVs).
Old 30th November 2012, 14:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Jeeps entry to reduce Tata-Fiat ties only to engines

Quote:
Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne's announcement of bringing Jeep to India has triggered a lot of movement at Fiat India. After ending the sales JV with Tata in May 2012, the next step is to stop production of the Manza at Fiat's Ranjangaon plant. Vendors supplying to Tata Motors have already been instructed to shift supply of components from Ranjangaon to Tata's plant in Pimpri.

The JV between Tata and Fiat was believed to be an understanding that Tata was to undertake sales and service responsibilities and Fiat was to manage production of the Manza at their plant. Tata's failure at the sales and service front resulted in conclusion of the sales JV and now since Tata's contribution to the JV has been removed, Fiat has no reason to continue production of Tata's Manza at their plant. And now that Marchionne has announced introduction of the Jeep brand, Fiat could be making space for its own future models at the plant. This development should go hand in hand with announcements we are expecting to be made by Mike Manley- President and CEO - Jeep and Chrysler Group LLC, Chief Operating Officer- Fiat-Chrysler Asia Pacific at a press conference to be held in Mumbai within a week, this is specifically with regards to Jeep operations beginning in India.

In the coming months, the entire assembly line of the Tata Manza will be shifted to Pimpri. In order to make space for production of the Manza, production of some slow-selling models will be shifted to Tata's 953 acre Pantnagar facility where it currently manufactures the Ace and Magic.
Source

But, I wonder if this would this affect Manza QA, not that Fiat India's QA was something to talk about !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 30th November 2012 at 14:18.
Old 30th November 2012, 14:37   #59
gemi_kk

Re: Jeeps entry to reduce Tata-Fiat ties only to engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Source

But, I wonder if this would this affect Manza QA, not that Fiat India's QA was something to talk about !
This would be one good act from FIAT side.

They have a plant where they could make 2Lakh + vehicles in a year. So they have a decent facility when compared to their sales.

Now the point boils down to one thing. "Why Ending Manza production in fiat plant? Lending the factory to make manza's will fetch FIAT some money. So why ending it? Anyways, FIAT is not making any money by selling Its cars."

This would lead to one thing, either they might sell out the factory and exit india. Or overflow the market with couple of more good looking and well performing cars to grab a decent pie in the exising market.

So why are they not doing it? As you know, the market is dull and it would take some time to revive, so hope some delay from FIAT side too.

Also, Tata has stopped production of their cars. Source would be the same Money control. So Anyways Tata doesnt want to make more cars too.

This would be in loose loose situation. I feel so. Cant say anything unless some good news pops out officially from the top management of both these companies.

Old 30th November 2012, 15:14   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeeps entry to reduce Tata-Fiat ties only to engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
This would be one good act from FIAT side.

They have a plant where they could make 2Lakh + vehicles in a year. So they have a decent facility when compared to their sales.

Now the point boils down to one thing. "Why Ending Manza production in fiat plant? Lending the factory to make manza's will fetch FIAT some money. So why ending it? Anyways, FIAT is not making any money by selling Its cars."

This would lead to one thing, either they might sell out the factory and exit india. Or overflow the market with couple of more good looking and well performing cars to grab a decent pie in the exising market.

So why are they not doing it? As you know, the market is dull and it would take some time to revive, so hope some delay from FIAT side too.

Also, Tata has stopped production of their cars. Source would be the same Money control. So Anyways Tata doesnt want to make more cars too.

This would be in loose loose situation. I feel so. Cant say anything unless some good news pops out officially from the top management of both these companies.
What makes you think that Fiat will sell the plant off and pack up when they have recently formed a new entity to sell its cars.

This may be a move to get a couple volume seller models and also make this an export hud to produce cars for the RHD markets.

But until more models come in, the plant can simply run a couple of hours shift to cater to the current demand of Punto and Linea.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks