Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 15:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Removing the Analysis Paralysis syndrome while buying a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Anyways this is OT and we need to take our discussion to another thread (safety).
I feel that it is not off-topic since safety is the single most important feature in a car. My previous post was about low end cars where we have a choice like an unsafely designed car with ABS and airbags vs a safely designed car without ABS and airbags. Some examples are given below.

Budget of 4 lac
Hyundai Eon Sportz (probably cheapest car in India to provide airbag) vs Ford Figo LXi

I feel that picking Ford Figo LXi over Hyundai Eon Sportz is a better option in terms of safety. Please correct me if you feel that I'm wrong.

Budget of 4.5 lac
Suzuki Wagon R/Estilo with ABS (probably cheapest car in India with ABS) vs Ford Figo without airbags and ABS (since Figo doesn't offer airbag or ABS at price of Wagon R/Estilo with ABS)

I'm not sure which is safer option. Can someone please help me out in explaining which is the safer option?

Budget of 5 lac
Only two cars are complete package - Chevy Beat and Ford Figo (though both lack EBD).

I feel that one should pick any of those two over other cars available in this budget.

Cheapest car with ABS + EBD
I'm not able to find the cheapest car in India which comes with EBD. Someone please help me out in finding this?

Budget of 8 lac or above
Beyond price range of 8 lac, most cars have proper structure and handling and hence one should always pick a complete package. For example, a Honda City base model which comes with ABS and airbags over cars like Vento base model which lacks ABS and airbags.

There might be many mistakes in this post. I would appreciate if someone corrects and lays out a proper classification regarding which is most safe car in a given price bracket like 2.5 lac, 3 lac, 3.5 lac, 4 lac, 4.5 lac and 5 lac. Beyond this range, one should always pick a complete package, no doubt about it.

Thanks

Last edited by DevilsCry : 28th January 2012 at 15:38. Reason: Spelling and grammar correction
Old 28th January 2012, 15:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Those who actually buy the tier II, like Toyota, Ford, Tata and Fiats are those who do research themselves. They dont seek advise on anything.
And that's precisely the reason I don't agree with the theme of this thread.Most have herd mentality and buy only Maruti,Hyundai or Tata products,some will just follow their heart (Fiat) and rest try to compare different cars to come up with the best value for their hard earned money and according their needs.This is where things sometime takes longer than usual because of no. of options we have now.e.g. When I decided to buy petrol hatch 6yrs back, I had to choose from swift,Getz and Palio but now we have close to 10 options now.
Old 29th January 2012, 04:07   #33
BHPian

One should not compare between cars in terms of accident.
As you said, let us say you are comparing Ford Figo vs Estilo/Wagon R. If you drive a Wagon R like you drive a Figo, then Wagon R will give up. It handles worse than a Figo. However, if you drive as a wagon R should be driven, then that car too is absolutely safe.

Let me ask you a question here:
Do you think Ford Figo without ABS/Airbags is safe or Figo with ABS/Airbags is safe.

The answer is obviously with ABS and Airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Budget of 4.5 lac
Suzuki Wagon R/Estilo with ABS (probably cheapest car in India with ABS) vs Ford Figo without airbags and ABS (since Figo doesn't offer airbag or ABS at price of Wagon R/Estilo with ABS)

I'm not sure which is safer option. Can someone please help me out in explaining which is the safer option?
As far as your question is concerned in terms of Figo Vs Estilo, then IMO Estilo should never be doing such high speeds as a Figo. If you want to drive both the same way, go for the Figo. The Estilo will not like to be thrown around corners as a Figo. But when the panic breaking happens at high speeds, the Estilo with ABS will do better IMO ( Estilo should not be doing such high speeds in the first place). Figo will just lock its wheels.
In case of a Crash(At same speeds), as both vehicles do not have Airbags, I feel Figo will be safer.

Quote:
Budget of 5 lac
Only two cars are complete package - Chevy Beat and Ford Figo (though both lack EBD).

I feel that one should pick any of those two over other cars available in this budget.
Depends on your driving style and preferences. I agree with your point here

Quote:
Cheapest car with ABS + EBD
I'm not able to find the cheapest car in India which comes with EBD. Someone please help me out in finding this?
Unfortunately, EBD is not that common in the hatches. But Swift ZDi and ZXi has this.

Quote:
Budget of 8 lac or above
Beyond price range of 8 lac, most cars have proper structure and handling and hence one should always pick a complete package. For example, a Honda City base model which comes with ABS and airbags over cars like Vento base model which lacks ABS and airbags.
I would suggest if we want a one particular hatch, buy that one with all safety features. But as you said, we will not be able to compare the safety of vehicles between two different segments as the vehicle behavior will be very different.
Old 29th January 2012, 04:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Make your choice, go with your heart or your head (if you're not an enthusiast ) and you should be right !
"Paralysis of analysis" arises from overworking the head in close situations.

The head plays a vital role of the initial selection work by setting the significant priorities and identifying most probable candidates, if not THE most suitable match.

When persistent indecision starts creeping in, then it's wise to hand over the responsibility to the heart. The symptom "Paralysis of analysis" itself suggests that the analytical head is done with its part. And if one doesn't know which tune heart is playing, or if the head is not willing to reconcile with the heart, I would even toss a coin to take the final plunge, as the due diligence is already done and the persisting indecision also says that the odds are almost even either way.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 29th January 2012 at 05:08.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
One should not compare between cars in terms of accident.
I was focusing only on the issue that when one asks for safest car for a limited budget, people on T-BHP seem to advise an unsafely designed car which offers airbags/ABS just for namesake, ignoring other facts like chasis strength and stability. Which I discussed here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2661157

Quote:
Do you think Ford Figo without ABS/Airbags is safe or Figo with ABS/Airbags is safe.
Obviously, the ABS/airbags version is safer. But that's not the point. For example, when I was hunting for a new car, I decided that it had to be safe in case of a panic/accident. But budget was only 3 lac. Valuing my life, I stretched it to 4 lac with difficulty, to buy Figo LXi. But stretching to 5+ lac to get Titanium version was out of question. The only other choice I had was an Eon Sportz (with airbags). I believe that I've made a right choice to buy Figo LXi over Eon Sportz regarding my priority for safety.

Quote:
IMO Estilo should never be doing such high speeds as a Figo.
I agree with this. If a person buys an Estilo, he should drive well within the car's limit. Then Estilo can easily be as safe to drive as a Honda City.

Quote:
Unfortunately, EBD is not that common in the hatches. But Swift ZDi and ZXi has this.
This IMO is the biggest eyewash by companies on safety. Only Swift or costlier car offers EBD with ABS. Other cars like Figo doesn't offer EBD with ABS. Reading threads on T-BHP, I see that ABS without EBD is quite dangerous in India. And that, a car without ABS would be safer than this.

Quote:
I would suggest if we want a one particular hatch, buy that one with all safety features.
While I agree to this, the real problem is that at low end, we have relatively unsafe cars. In many cases, it might be safer to go for a more expensive car without safety features than a car loaded with safety features (for same price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Just the fact that you have ABS and Airbags, creates a false sense of security. It further contributes to rash driving, as you feel that these two gizmos will bail you out in case of a mishap.
Agree! This makes me wonder if such people is actually better off driving a car without safety features so that they will drive less rashly?

Quote:
Driving safe is a state of mind and no amount of gizmos or design will prevent an accident if you are bent on it.
Yes, I feel that if everyone drove sensibly. There would be no need for 5 star safety rated cars. A simple Maruti 800 will suffice for most people's need.

Quote:
Ever seen a two wheeler winding through heavy traffic at high speed? Imagine what will happen if there is a slight error on any body's part.
God forbid if I ever hit those two wheelers. Even after exercising so many caution, I always feel every other day that I narrowly escaped from hitting one of two-wheelers.

Quote:
It is a known fact that the majority of accidents are due to "human error", just a nice word for bad driving. As far as safety is concerned, seat belts are primary defense, followed by proper structural design of the body. Bad handling, especially at high speed can initiate an accident where a well balanced chassis would escape.
Best summary! Even if someone needs more safety after all this, they have ABS+EBD for this. After this, airbags.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:

This IMO is the biggest eyewash by companies on safety. Only Swift or costlier car offers EBD with ABS. Other cars like Figo doesn't offer EBD with ABS. Reading threads on T-BHP, I see that ABS without EBD is quite dangerous in India. And that, a car without ABS would be safer than this.
The figo titanium has ABS with EBD! always had it! Its mentioned on the brochure as well as the website.
Ford India Private Limited - Ford Figo Safety
Old 29th January 2012, 10:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
The figo titanium has ABS with EBD! always had it! Its mentioned on the brochure as well as the website.
Ford India Private Limited - Ford Figo Safety
Oh! What a gross mistake from my side! Thanks for pointing out. Then it seems that in India, the cheapest complete safe package is Ford Figo.

to Ford for making effort to bring in safety at budget in a country where safety is at bottom of priority.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:27   #38
BHPian

The funny part is i even in the used car market I have seen people try out too many second hand cars go against the sanest advice and land up buying either a lemon or something that they had not set out to go for out in the first place in terms of budget/brand/requirement.
Guess the paralysis analysis is part of the game
Old 31st January 2012, 13:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
Then it seems that in India, the cheapest complete safe package is Ford Figo
Nope. The cheapest complete package would be the A-Star_Zxi having dual airbags, ABS and EBD.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 21:51   #40
BHPian

A very good thread indeed and coming back to the original topic:
The analysis indeed will paralyze the decision. When I bought my T-Jet there were suggestions to wait and watch etc. But all I did was read the GTO's review. Took just one TD and did not even bother to see any other car.
Whatever the other car was going to be, my heart and mind was fixed on T-Jet. I knew beforehand this was THE car for me.

Also, with my Palio, I had been getting what-a-fool glances. Suggestion had been to sell the car due to higher parts cost etc. Nothing else satisfied me after driving other cars in segment.

Thought of selling the Palio once, got a good bargain also (10k more than what I paid for), but somehow heart and brain said that car like these will never be manufactured again. Perhaps the car is going to be with me forever.
Old 7th May 2012, 20:58   #41
BHPian

Interesting discussion. To top up, there is another factor which may elongate the analysis paralysis further. If you are married, and your loved one prefers a different brand, then you will end up in ENDLESS confusion. To convince her? or not convince her? Go with your heart? or make her heart feel special? Give up or be adamant? Heart or mind? filter coffee or cappucino? or black coffee or espresso? or green tea or masala chai?

Finally it will push to a point where you wake up in the midnight in a trance state, thinking of shouting loud, bite your fingers and trying to tear your dresses like crazy.

I really envy guys who buy their preferred cars before marriage!

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 7th May 2012 at 20:59.
Old 20th May 2018, 02:27   #42
BHPian

Cars are about a lot of passion, and a little bit of reason!

You find that this site talks (only talks) about a lot of reasons..

1. How does it run...engine super smooth, butter smooth, or ghad--gahd-ghad--ghad..! Did you enjoy Lambretta ever, or do you like disco, high pitch music? Or Bullet's bhat-bhat-bhat...actually you love!

2. What a ride...best in class..well in which class you are..o..o..your children are, I mean?? Anyone do horse riding, or saw warriors (Bahubali/Padmawat fame) on the horse back..what a suspension..

3. Handling...accurate..no under/over steering...balanced...so when did you first start to balance a bicycle?

4. 0 to 100 in just xx seconds...you know you need to participate in the next motor race..well how much do you huff & puff in running 100 meter, and your timing?

5. And then a lot of safety..future regulations...environment...man, I know that..but the world is not going to collapse tomorrow because I run on gasoline...or oil..steam engine is still nostalgic!

Friends while talking sense we have become very boring! Logic, rational, economy, saving ... please forgive me. For anyone the first and foremost thing with a car should be a love affair...It is about passion..other things follow.

Boy, when every time one looks at the fuel efficiency figure, the car feels offended...once she is your partner..let's enjoy the journey together..and before stating the journey (gathbandhan se pehle), know your limits and then apply your heart...and then love affair starts without any gila-sikwa..

So, what do you say, what about being little crazy and passionate (without disturbing other's life)? How should this affect our buying as well as post buying experience..or, should we keep looking for perfection and nitty gritty?
kbishwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 08:12   #43
BHPian

Re: Cars are about a lot of passion, and a little bit of reason!

That's an interesting topic... I have seen many car buyers comparing features line by line while buying and even most of the automobile reviewers do the same. On seeing those, what I always felt was "No you can't buy a car that way" you should see the car, feel it, drive it and then glance those spec list. It's ok if some features are missing.

Modern cars have the so called big list of features that you don't even need or use, even manufacturers tend to overtake the competitors by giving 1 km extra FE and that one extra feature. To be frank I used my first Maruti 800 4Speed without even switching on AC in its whole ownership time.

Of course, craziness and love for cars are restricted to how huge your pockets are, it's all about striking a balance between your heart and brain. For example my standard CI bullet is not as fuel efficient as modern bullets but I smile whenever I take it out and feel connected with it, I cannot keep it for daily runs but can use it to feed the bike lover inside me then and there. Same goes for cars, for daily duties and common runs have a fuel efficient low maintenance car but have one more car that your heart loves for weekend getaways, to do all these main deciding factor would be money. so to conclude "Vitamin M" decides everything , that's why we talk everything about a car in tBHP, not just the performance.
cmani0000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 09:32   #44
BHPian

Apart from basic features/necessities I never compare cars on an excel sheet. My decisions are purely based on the brand I prefer or the feel associated with it, the driving pleasure/performance and uniqueness.

May be I am wrong but I won't buy a car that sells like hot cakes and thousands can be seen on the streets. Instead I would buy a car which is unique and is seen less on the streets.

To be true, I am also brand biased. I tend to like and own only few brands and would prefer to remain in the family unless something extra ordinary comes through.

Ofcourse the most important and deciding factor remains the budget. Within that budget I follow my heart.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 20th May 2018 at 09:35.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 10:14   #45
BANNED

I too agree with all the above mentioned points. We just bought a new car in last December and I never considered any extra feature apart from the basic features
The checklist which I had was:
-ABS and EBD
-Car stereo (Although touch screen fascinated me, but
the basic task of playing misic os
fulfilled)
-Decent AC
-ESP
-Rear seat space

I concluded on buying the Aspire Titanium. Everyone said that it is out dated and have less features but when I compared with other cars such as the FEATURE RICH i20, for 8 lacs, Sportz model was nearest to the budget. Even the sports variant of i20 had a ICU without touch screen and all the features were similar. Additional I got many more safety features in Ford Aspire Titanium when compared with other cars. Not to forget, I also got the amazing diesel engine offered in the Aspire. Whenever I look at it, it never fails to bring a smile on my face.
oil_burner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed