Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 12:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 Maruti A-Star gets some interior & exterior enhancements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
2. Rear window defogger
3. Rear window wiper

Funnily enough, all the above are available as "official" accessories and Maruti fits them without voiding the warranty. Don't understand why Maruti does not offer them as options from the factory itself !
A defogger and rear wiper too ? That is interesting to know! Doesnt that involve the changing of the rear glass (for the coils) and some wiring (for the wiper motor) ?
Old 27th January 2012, 12:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
A defogger and rear wiper too ? That is interesting to know! Doesnt that involve the changing of the rear glass (for the coils) and some wiring (for the wiper motor) ?
Yes. That is what they claim. I have asked for a quotation but yet to get it. Will update when I get it.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:35   #33
BHPian

Also one reason I picked the Hyundai i10 Asta auto over the A-Star is the A-Star didn't have a night/day rear view mirror. I find it very difficult to drive in the night using one without the night/day switch. Also I find it ridiculous that Maruti omits this in a few models, since it doesn't cost much to have it. On the other hand Hyundai has it in ALL their models. I dont know (from the pictures), whether Marui has included it in the refreshed model.
Old 27th January 2012, 14:57   #34
dot
Senior - BHPian

While the new dual tone dash looks nice from the picture, the sea of beige around the cabin can be a dampener. Needs to be seen in person to access how the final product would look like. Expect a Zen Estillo like finish though.
Old 27th January 2012, 15:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
While the new dual tone dash looks nice from the picture, the sea of beige around the cabin can be a dampener.
True. Beige looks poor if seen from close quarters, unless high quality materials are used, which is highly unlikely in a car costing less than 5 Lakh.
When will the Indian market understand this..
Old 27th January 2012, 16:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the rear legroom is more in this version?
Old 27th January 2012, 16:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^^ It looks like that - either the angle in which snap is taken or the front passenger seat is pulled to front.

BTW, the 50:50 split seats is a good thing to have. I wonder why can't this option be provided on all cars by default - either 50:50 or 60:40 depending on the car.

While beige or black does not matter to me (prefer black), I do hate the fact that they moved ABS and airbags from Zxi and made it as option. Earlier, those who wanted only the bells&whistles but not airbags/ABS would have atleast had no choice but to buy top-end and end up with safety features. But now, it would be only the rare person who buys the Option pack. MSIL would benefit from sales of top-end, but they need to also think in terms of social responsibility and avoid setting trim levels such that for the sake of it they have safety features as option, but in reality not many would go for it.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th January 2012 at 16:25.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 16:30   #38
Team-BHP Support

Since ABS and airbags is now optional on ZXi, I hope they have not removed from the VXi AT. This was the distinguishing factor for the A-star AT from the i10.

The pic looks like more rear legroom because you don't see that B-pillar. The B-pillar will give you that reference for rear seat.
Old 27th January 2012, 22:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

While the changes are small, they are welcome, the Beige interior will hopefully make the cramped interiors feel a bit airy/spacious.
Old 27th January 2012, 22:17   #40
BHPian

what i have felt after driving the A star is that, the handling of the car is actually very good if you make it wear a good set of shoes(tyres).

Very few people give credit to the good aspects of this car, in below 4lakh rupees price, this is one of the best drivers car.

It has many negative issues, like less space, the dash is too high for a good driving view etc.

maruti should invest some money and do the ""Swift" treatment for this car, Wider, Longer and better

then they must put in the 1.3 MJD in it and offer existing petrol in AT version with 5speed automatic transmission.

Then this will become the next 800 of india without any doubt.

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 27th January 2012 at 22:20.
Old 28th January 2012, 16:33   #41
BHPian

just saw the official email from the company to the dealers , nice pictures!, the spoiler definitely looks great , but it is only in the zxi version . The caffeine color is misleading in the pictures but i have tentatively booked it with the promise that i can change it if i dont like it in reality
Old 28th January 2012, 22:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

I bought AT A-Star last year and am very happy with the car. This car really deserves to do better but our obsession with back seat space has done it in. The funny thing is, even persons who drive around single in their cars 90 % of time, worry about back-seat space. But speaking of back seat space, it is not as bad as has been widely believed.

Coming to the cosmetic changes, I am never a fan of biege. I think biege only looks good in chauffer driven luxo barges. MUL would have done better to provide electric ORVMs, a tacho and rear wipe/wash/defogger and airbags, albeit at marginal plus cost.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
But speaking of back seat space, it is not as bad as has been widely believed.
True. For normal usage, the room at the back is adequate and when I compared with an i10, it was almost at par. The problem IMO is the lower height which makes it claustrophobic, compared to the taller i10. A little more height would not only have addressed this issue, but also made ingress/egress comfortable in the A-Star.

I believe this design came about because the car was intended for EU (refer the line by GTO about exports being more than local consumption) where the back-seats are normally unused other than for keeping shopping bags etc. Or the odd kid. This reflects in the amazingly comfy and spacious front seating, at the expense of rear seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
MUL would have done better to provide electric ORVMs, a tacho and rear wipe/wash/defogger and airbags, albeit at marginal plus cost.
+100 to this. I would anyday take something useful like ORVM or rear wipe/wash/demister than beige interiors which apart from being an eyesore (my opinion) are also prone to becoming dirty and tough-to-maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars
Very few people give credit to the good aspects of this car, in below 4lakh rupees price, this is one of the best drivers car.
One good drivers car and yet so under-rated that no one even knows about it being good. If I were in the market for a hatch right now for myself, I would buy the Zxi eyes closed - apart from being FTD, it comes as a complete package including safety, ICE etc and the icing on the cake would be the amazing FE. And if it were for the women-folk / elderly in the family, the AT version is a no-brainer - helped break my belief that AT cars are not necessarily fuel-guzzlers.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 15:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
The sad part is even in TBHP where knowledge of cars is much higher than the average consumer, this FTD car never got's it's due.
In an old thread i created for best FTD cars below 5Lakhs, A-star got the least votes. Even Chevy Beat scored double the votes that A-star garnered.
Daewood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 15:31   #45
BHPian

going off the track here but what is FTD ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks