Team-BHP - Mercedes S300 SWB Launched
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mercedes S300 SWB Launched (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/114866-mercedes-s300-swb-launched.html)

I visited the Chennai Mercedes showroom and found that the S300 SWB Short Wheel Base) was on display. The Ex Showroom price was 78.4 lacs. The sales person said this is in the market for about 2 months now!

Driver seat has no memory, there is no refrigerator, no dual display (magic) screen, it sports a 3.0 liter 235 ps v6 petrol motor.

The brochures and the website doesn't reflect the availability of the car. That's a shame!

P.S. If this post is an old news, please remove it. If its in the wrong location kindly excuse and repost correctly.

Been there for a while, what I don't understand is why Mercedes India bought this as a volume seller? It hardly has done much and even better a volume seller would have been the S250 CDI and they could re badge it as S300 CDI and at about 75 lac would have been a hot seller in the segment,

Regards,

Might find some buyers in the hospitality business through EPCG. They can always claim they have an S class and dont think the occassional guest would mind a little less legroom for an hour's ride. Explains the non powered driver's seat.

This is of course assuming that the SWB costs much less than the LWB. Could someone provide the cost difference over LWB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 316kmph (Post 2660486)
I visited the Chennai Mercedes showroom and found that the S300 SWB Short Wheel Base) was on display. The Ex Showroom price was 78.4 lacs. The sales person said this is in the market for about 2 months now! Driver seat has no memory, there is no refrigerator, no dual display (magic) screen, it sports a 3.0 liter 235 ps v6 petrol motor.

In that case, I wonder why one should go for it because for the 7 lacs reduction in price, they are deleting some serious equipment, and the shorter wheelbase would certainly compromise rear room.

I should add that there is at least a 5 lac discount on the car. I didn't negotiate.

Also the rear leg room is quite generous, so much that you wonder whats the need for a Long Wheel Base. My dad uses a 730Ld and I opine, one may not really need that LWB. The legroom in the rear seat of the S300 is more than adequate even for a highly demanding passenger.

The rear seats still had memory, massage functions and the car had Harmon Kardon sound, multiway powered (including Lumbar) seats for driver and all passengers, soft touch door close, powered trunk lid, and most other everyday use equipment. I vaguely recall that there is rear seat entertainment, sunroof, and cruise control. It's quite a value in my opinion.

I agree that diesel would help but I have my reservations as far as the 2.2 liter 250 tune engine is concerned. It was a peaky engine with poor NVH on the E class I tested and I didn't even have second thoughts buying a petrol E200 CGI. It could be a different story on the S though.

I would rather have a refined petrol v6 than an noisy, peaky 4 pot yet efficient diesel when I am paying 90 lacs. A refined smooth diesel is always welcome though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup
Might find some buyers in the hospitality business through EPCG. They can always claim they have an S class and dont think the occassional guest would mind a little less legroom for an hour's ride. Explains the non powered driver's seat.

This is of course assuming that the SWB costs much less than the LWB. Could someone provide the cost difference over LWB.

The on road list price of S classes in Chennai :
2012 S300 (SWB) - 94.4 lacs
2011 S350L (LWB) - 100.9 Lacs
2012 S350L (LBW) - 106.4 lacs
2012 S500L (LWB) - 123.4 Lacs
2012 S350 CDIL LwB 108.6 Lacs

I doubt if EpCG is an option because I think the S class is assembled in India as a SKD.

Apparently there is some change in equipment levels between 2011 and 2012 models, dont have details, also I guess the increase in dollar has led to the price rise.