Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:55   #76
BHPian

Re: January 2012 : Indian Car Sales

Very sad to see Honda at bottom 3 of the list. Even Fiat managed to sell more than Honda in Jan. Nissan did a fantastic job with >5k units. Skoda will also stabalise around 4k units.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:37   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Alto 32965
EON 7344

Just a gentle remainder to people who said, Eon is so superior to Alto that price difference is justified. I have always maintained mechanically the Alto is a much superior package. Just imagine the Eon's steering does not have a self centering action which can be so unnerving to a newbie driver. The gear lever vibrates enough to give you a good massage at traffic signals. The engine has poor low end torque and takes a gruff note when revved hard. How did Hyundai think people will buy Eon on looks alone ? On road mileage the Alto has an edge , NVH Alto has an edge. Price wise with the 800cc and the K10 they have all the bases covered. Service, after-sales and resale Alto has an edge. If you want to take on an established player and in this case the highest selling car in india, you have to at-least match the price if not under-cut it. Look at the Eon's plight , its laughable simply because it has directly hit its own siblings in i10 and Santro. alto is nearly selling five times as much as the Eon. Now imagine once the novelty factor wears out , Eon will have no place to hide. I mean a car launched with so much fan-fare and expectations has turned out to be market dud if u keep in mind the cost of the project and the segment it is competing in. If you want to be polite you can say , oh it will improve with time and all but what is the evidence ? The only way out for Eon is to keep the existing prices and plonk the four pot motor from Santro.
That was in sightful, needforspeed88.

If the Santro engine is plonked on to the EON, wouldn't it bring the Santro sales down? Also apart from the inside space, age and build differences, there wouldn't be another major distinguishing factor between the 2.

Today, at least they have different cc in their engines.

Thanks,
C_
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
That was in sightful, needforspeed88.

If the Santro engine is plonked on to the EON, wouldn't it bring the Santro sales down? Also apart from the inside space, age and build differences, there wouldn't be another major distinguishing factor between the 2.

Today, at least they have different cc in their engines.

Thanks,
C_
The old warhorse has run it course, i am afraid and the fetish to keep it alive has taken a toll on Hyundai's product positioning. Let them have the three pot motor only on the entry variant and the other variants should get the 4-pot motor. I am more than confident Hyundai would sell more units of Eon alone than the current numbers of Eon and Santro put together if they go with the three pot motor for the entry variant and the four pot motor for the other variants. This would be similar to the strategy employed by Maruti with the K10 and the 800 cc engines coexisting together.
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:45   #79
Senior - BHPian

Audi sales are at 667 pretty good rise, at this rate they might just overtake Mercedes India as they will have two new volume products the Q3 and the facelifted A4,

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/11730660.cms

Would love to see the break up of models,

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:47   #80
BANNED

Quote:
...because it has directly hit its own siblings in i10 and Santro.
Actually, Hyundai has given a good 'downgrade' option for Santro and i10 customers! Those who like the 'female' look of i10, can now consider Eon also! As I mentioned months back, Eon has not helped Hyundai to increase the overall sales figures of their hatches. Before the Eon launch, Hyundai was selling around 12 - 14K i10, 7K Santro and 6 - 7K i20 (total: 25 - 28K). Now even after Eon joined their family, they are selling a total of 28K hatches.
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alto 32965
EON 7344

Just a gentle remainder to people who said, Eon is so superior to Alto that price difference is justified. I have always maintained mechanically the Alto is a much superior package. Just imagine the Eon's steering does not have a self centering action which can be so unnerving to a newbie driver. The gear lever vibrates enough to give you a good massage at traffic signals. The engine has poor low end torque and takes a gruff note when revved hard. How did Hyundai think people will buy Eon on looks alone ? On road mileage the Alto has an edge , NVH Alto has an edge. Price wise with the 800cc and the K10 they have all the bases covered. Service, after-sales and resale Alto has an edge. If you want to take on an established player and in this case the highest selling car in india, you have to at-least match the price if not under-cut it. Look at the Eon's plight , its laughable simply because it has directly hit its own siblings in i10 and Santro. alto is nearly selling five times as much as the Eon. Now imagine once the novelty factor wears out , Eon will have no place to hide. I mean a car launched with so much fan-fare and expectations has turned out to be market dud if u keep in mind the cost of the project and the segment it is competing in. If you want to be polite you can say , oh it will improve with time and all but what is the evidence ? The only way out for Eon is to keep the existing prices and plonk the four pot motor from Santro.

I think its too early to comment on Eon's performance since its only 4 odd months. When the alto was launched in 2000, it too was a flop for the first year. Only after 2 odd years and 3 price cuts plus repositioning the car actually started selling. MSIL has 3 times the network than Hyundai and Hyundai has thankfully made corrections to the positioning by introducing the Dlite plus, era plus and magna plus models plus LPG. As a package, the eon is still better as compared to the prehistoric alto 800. Mileage: ARAI certified is 21.1 as compared to 19.8 odd for the alto. The alto uses 27 year old ancient F8 motor whereas the eon has atleast some better aged (if a bit old 1997 design) 800 cc epsilon motor, though both are noisy.

The eon has space and modern safety features which the alto just lacks. And the gear vibration is not that bad as its made out to be. Interior also the alto is outclassed. The alto is so damn cramped compared to eon, and so is the boot space. Both cars have mediocre brakes though.

As a product, the eon is still anyday better than the alto. Now its upto Hyundai to market it well and make sure that the absurdly high cost of service don't burn a hole in the owner's pocket.
sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:59   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I think its too early to comment on Eon's performance since its only 4 odd months. When the alto was launched in 2000, it too was a flop for the first year. Only after 2 odd years and 3 price cuts plus repositioning the car actually started selling. MSIL has 3 times the network than Hyundai and Hyundai has thankfully made corrections to the positioning by introducing the Dlite plus, era plus and magna plus models plus LPG. As a package, the eon is still better as compared to the prehistoric alto 800. Mileage: ARAI certified is 21.1 as compared to 19.8 odd for the alto. The alto uses 27 year old ancient F8 motor whereas the eon has atleast some better aged (if a bit old 1997 design) 800 cc epsilon motor, though both are noisy.

The eon has space and modern safety features which the alto just lacks. And the gear vibration is not that bad as its made out to be. Interior also the alto is outclassed. The alto is so damn cramped compared to eon, and so is the boot space. Both cars have mediocre brakes though.

As a product, the eon is still anyday better than the alto. Now its upto Hyundai to market it well and make sure that the absurdly high cost of service don't burn a hole in the owner's pocket.
1] ARAI figures do not matter, what matters is figures you can extract in real life conditions. With that in Mind both the F8 and the K10 have an edge over Eon.

2] Alto has better view from driving position.

3] Alto K10 has much much better performance than EON. It revs freely, is easier and painless to drive in the city because of the flexible nature of the engine.

4] I have taken a test-drive of Eon myself and the Gear-stick does vibrate a lot and it is annoying at-least for me.

5] Eon is based on the same platform as the Santro and so it is not an all new product as some people tout it to be. The clue is in the wheelbase which is identical for Santro and the EON. The motor is also more than a decade old and is not ground-shattering in terms of performance/Economy. Hyundai have done a crude job of three pot conversion and anywhere over the middle of the rev-range, you can feel the vibes clearly. In a nutshell EON is based on more than a decade old platform with the motor being a three pot derivative of a more than a decade old engine.

6] Ride and handling is about the same but without a shadow of doubt K10 provides a much more pleasurable and refined .driving experience .

7] Hyundai has to be applauded for providing safety features and Eon definitely has en edge over the Alto in this department.

8] Value for money is something , nobody can predict but a fair conclusion can be drwan from the total sales. I mean Is Eon even a competitor to Alto at this point in time . See the street price of an Alto after discounts works out to be 30k cheaper than Eon variant to variant despite Hyundai sweetening the deal a little bit by adding features of one variant higher to the lower one. Money talks at-least in this segment and the company which offers the most competent product which is most cost effective sells.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 3rd February 2012 at 20:06.
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
1] ARAI figures do not matter, what matters is figures you can extract in real life conditions. With that in Mind both the F8 and the K10 have an edge over Eon.

2] Alto has better view from driving position.

3] Alto K10 has much much better performance than EON. It revs freely, is easier and painless to drive in the city because of the flexible nature of the engine.

4] I have taken a test-drive of Eon myself and the Gear-stick does vibrate a lot and it is annoying at-least for me.

5] Eon is based on the same platform as the Santro and so it is not an all new product as some people tout it to be. The clue is in the wheelbase which is identical for Santro and the EON. The motor is also more than a decade old and is not ground-shattering in terms of performance/Economy. Hyundai have done a crude job of three pot conversion and anywhere over the middle of the rev-range, you can feel the vibes clearly. In a nutshell EON is based on more than a decade old platform with the motor being a three pot derivative of a more than a decade old engine.

6] Ride and handling is about the same but without a shadow of doubt K10 provides a much more pleasurable and refined .driving experience .

7] Hyundai has to be applauded for providing safety features and Eon definitely has en edge over the Alto in this department.

8] Value for money is something , nobody can predict but a fair conclusion can be drwan from the total sales. I mean Is Eon even a competitor to Alto at this point in time . See the street price of an Alto after discounts works out to be 30k cheaper than Eon variant to variant despite Hyundai sweetening the deal a little bit by adding features of one variant higher to the lower one. Money talks at-least in this segment and the company which offers the most competent product which is most cost effective sells.
Is this a thread for Indian Car Sales Jan 2012 or is it an Alto800 VS Eon thread? Can we please stick to the topic? We could, perhaps, dedicate a separate thread to the Alto800 vs Eon debate. And, it would certainly be an interesting debate.

I may own an Alto800, but if I were to buy an 800cc car, I would add myself to the Eon sales figures any given day. Why? Let's have a separate thread for this debate.

Last edited by misquitas : 3rd February 2012 at 22:58.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 18:23   #84
BHPian

Can anyone tell what is happening to Force one SUV. Has it been discontinued? I thought they just launched it a few months ago. Are they planning a fresh makeover?
Old 4th February 2012, 19:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

Force one is not discontinued for sure. From what I see on FB, they are selling in decent numbers.
Old 4th February 2012, 22:02   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for the lovely presentation, Jalsa777!
Guys

All the figures, charts etc are really brilliant effort. One suggestion though. I really do miss the few paras of analysis that GTO used to put out together with the month's figures. It would be awesome if all these charts could be accompanied with that analysis.

Cheers,
Old 5th February 2012, 03:09   #87
BHPian

I think the sales figures of the Figo and the Fiesta Classic are put together. Am sure the Fiesta Classic should have sold atleast 1.5K units.
Old 5th February 2012, 07:36   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv007
I think the sales figures of the Figo and the Fiesta Classic are put together. Am sure the Fiesta Classic should have sold atleast 1.5K units.
Please take a minute to read the opening posts. It has been stated that the new and classic Fiesta sales have been clubbed by Ford.
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 10:40   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And why on earth is VW waiting to give Polo the engines it deserve?
The Volkswagen Polo is an entry-level hatchback (for VW). They do have better engines available in the Volkswagen Golf. Internationally, again depending on the region, the Polo only comes with a 1.4L 75hp engine but the Golf comes with different engines from the 1.6L 102hp engine to the 2.0L 255hp engine (turbo-charged).
Old 5th February 2012, 16:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Can anyone tell what is happening to Force one SUV. Has it been discontinued? I thought they just launched it a few months ago. Are they planning a fresh makeover?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Force one is not discontinued for sure. From what I see on FB, they are selling in decent numbers.
Hey, Force One has not been discontinued.
Unfortunately, we don't have the numbers for Force One.
I will remove it from there next month if we don't get the numbers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks