Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 21:10   #16
BHPian

I'm just happy Fiat is still here. Looking at sales last January, I thought they would shut shop and leave by the end of the year. That they've survived 2011 and are making a conscious effort to stay afloat is source for comfort.
Perhaps this time next year, they'll be adding relevant models like the Panda to their portfolio!

Last edited by one-77 : 1st February 2012 at 21:11.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: January 2012 : Indian Car Sales

Thanks for the wonderful representation jalsa777. Man, are you a racing driver or an analyst?

Coming back to the topic, MSIL seems to be going from strength to strength. The Ertiga will only make that audacious gap to the 2nd place even bigger.

The Bolero numbers are simply stunning month on month. Feel good to see the Nano numbers. Feel bad about Honda.

The Rapid sales are low. Is it due to some production constraints? And why on earth is VW waiting to give Polo the engines it deserve?
Old 1st February 2012, 21:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
Thanks for the wonderful representation jalsa777. Man, are you a racing driver or an analyst?
I was thinking he was a racing driver OF an analyst.
A great job by the team, as always!
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 21:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

'Johnny come lately' Nissan does 5k and the big Honda manages just 1.7k. I think alarm bells must be ringing at Honda Siel as to how to get themselves back on the pedestal they once occupied. Nissan has to be watched closely; I think it's getting the right mix of products that market needs.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 21:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt

VW Vento sales declining since oct. Don't know the reason though! Should be the often price increase by the company.
True, sad to see such wonderful car performing below par on the sales chart. The continuing downtrend can be attributed to the rise of Rapid which is eating the Vento. I do not like the strategy adopted by VW/Skoda to rebrand Vento as Rapid and dilute the brand value.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:35   #21
BHPian

It is taking a long time for Honda to recover from the flood situtation in Thailand. It seems Toyota recovered far more quickly from the earthquake effects in Japan.

Was the Thai floods impact much worse on the industries? I hope Honda would address the supply chain shortcomings, and try to localize the components faster.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:38   #22
anb
BHPian

Great month for Toyota. 6794 units of Innova. Probably it is the best number for shipments for Innova because of new 2012 version. Corolla becomes segment leader again by a considerable margin
Old 1st February 2012, 21:39   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
True, sad to see such wonderful car performing below par on the sales chart. The continuing downtrend can be attributed to the rise of Rapid which is eating the Vento. I do not like the strategy adopted by VW/Skoda to rebrand Vento as Rapid and dilute the brand value.
I think you need to take back to back test drive of the Vento and the Rapid.

I did that last month and Arguably Rapid is better to drive and has better quality of fit and finish when compared to the Vento.

Sadly Natural calamities or you can call it Nature's fury is the only reason for the fall of Honda India sales.

But with the kind of Quality they provide, it will very soon be at the top of its game

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 1st February 2012 at 21:42.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:57   #24
BHPian

Good to see quite some changes in January.

Tata numbers passing Hyundai. Hope Tata starts releasing the breakup of Indigo/Manza numbers (instead of clubbing them).

The new year seems to have begun on a good note for Fiat. Not sure if it's the enhanced publicity, facelift or the discounts.

The C segment seems to be the most competitive. With the Sunny's awesome growth and the newly launched Dzire ready to join the party, time will tell at whose cost this will come in.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
What in the world did Fiat India do to sell 1600 Puntos and 500+ Lineas!!!

Also commendable job by Tata to overtake Hyundai. Lets see if they are able to stay at that position!
Nothing much. They launched 2012 versions and these numbers are the initial pipeline filling. Let us wait for a couple of of months to see how the numbers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
But on the other hand the VW group as a whole seems to be growing with the cumulative sales of Vento and Rapid higher than what Vento used to do alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Great month for Toyota. 6794 units of Innova. Probably it is the best number for shipments for Innova because of new 2012 version. Corolla becomes segment leader again by a considerable margin
Yes most of it is due to the shipment of the new version, although the numbers are superb. let's wait for 3 months to see what the numbers settle at.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh
Toyota Camry might not be VFM for Indian market, but I still don't understand how it has ZERO volume for the last two months. Has Toyota taken it off completely?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cingsman
WOW!

Camry - zero - 2nd month in a row! Even the Nissan Teana sells 35.
AFAIK, Toyota is in the process of launching all new 2012 Camry so they have stopped importing the older generation 2011 Camry. That should be the reason of no sell at all.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 22:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

I hope Punto/Linea sales isn't just a flash in the pan - due to people waiting for the new year to buy the car.

Although Fiat seems to have addressed some major customer complaints like GC in the 2012 Punto, I don't think there features added to the Punto which will make it appealing to more people and nor was there a price-cut. In fact, the prices went up. So, I don't really see a big reason for the jump from 500 to 1600 for the Punto. Linea, on the other hand, seems to be VFM in the segment and deserves more sales. But, I think it also needs the 1.6MJD.

As a Fiat owner, I'll be happy if Fiat can maintain and gradually increase these numbers over this calendar year, as they open their independent dealerships.

Has Ford gone the Tata way by declaring sales of Fiesta Classic and new Fiesta together? I don't see separate sales figures for both cars.

Last edited by StarrySky : 1st February 2012 at 22:19.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:32   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the much awaited thread in the very first day of the month.

My observations:

Tata - Way to go. Good to see the upward trend of it's three models. Nano could do much better too. I was waiting for the Nano numbers eagerly.

Suzuki - Swift is amazing. Full blast. So is Wagon R. Nothing beats the peace of mind for us Indians. (OT - I do not know why people call Suzuki Cars in India as Maruti. They do not have the logo anywhere.)

Hyundai - Eon seems to be settling somewhere around 8K Mark. Over rated i20 manages good numbers. Santro doing decent numbers but I see a decline post Eon launch.

Fiat - Very happy to see. I see a ray of hope. Positive numbers after a long time.

Toyota - Amazing numbers for Innova. Again I feel this is a highly overprices vehicle. Pucca peace of mind though.

Last edited by rangarx : 1st February 2012 at 22:34. Reason: Adding additional points.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
can we have the numbers of diesel vs petrol corolla altis sold. Is this surge in numbers due to diesel or good fortunes of toyota
Old 1st February 2012, 22:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Tata pips Hyundai for the no.2 slot, just!!

Good comeback, especially since their sales took a downturn in 2010 and the first part of 2011. A turn of fortunes for the Nano and especially the Sumo. Tata's MUV brand which was struggling to do 4 figures at one stage is now clocking 3k plus!!

Mahindra is going strong no suprises there, they have also turned the Verito into a consistent seller. The Xylo though deserves better sales, think its time for a mid life revamp. Its been three years since launch and is due a facelift, or for that matter any reason to get rid of that front. Improved looks will definitely help in boosting Xylos sales!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed