Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Warranticism

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...901541,00.html

India being Tata's home, one would expect similar warranty offers here too!

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...631896,00.html

The good part is, in offering the extended warranty (5yrs, unlimited distance!) - they sound really confident.
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

First instance of REVERSE racism and it had to come from an Indian company. We're a nation famous for putting ourselves last......

More than the Warrantiracism is the Featuracism -

"The Indica DLS comes standard with head restraints (adjustable for the front seats), a collapsible steering column, side intrusion beams, anti-submarine seats, crumple zones (rear, front and sides), front and rear fog lamps, internally height adjustable headlights and adjustable time-delay intermittent wipers."

How many times have you driven an Indica and wished that the bloody steering column was adjustable?????

Indians dont need adjustable head restraints because we're all 'swalpa adjust maadi' types, I guess.

My respect for Tata just went down a few notches - whats the point in being a 'proudly Indian' company if you dont treat your own countrymen with respect?

THE JERKS.

But I liked this, as it compares the Indi with Tata's potential competitor, the Renault (Dacia) Logan:

These are not "cheap and nasty" cars in the mould of previous imports such as those from Romanian company Dacia, but modern high tech. vehicles that have been well built to cope with roads that are far worse than South Africa's, and which have been designed not just for India's tastes, but for export.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd March 2006 at 11:33.
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats not all.

Quote:
All come with a 3 year/100 000 km warranty, 3 year roadside assistance, and a 2 year/40 000 km service plan.Service intervals are 10000 km.
I dont know of any company in India barring Chevrolet and Ford which do service at 10k intervals. Taking us Indians for a ride. Also no indian Indica are equipped with ABS/Air Bags.

I really didnot expect it from Tata atleast.

Anyone can send this link(to the thread and the wesite which zenx) has posted to some Tata official to tell them we Indians wont bear this anymore. There was a time when all this was done not any more :WTF:
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:37   #4
BANNED

I may be getting confused between a collapsible steering column and an adjustable steering. I believe collapsible steering column means it collapses on impact.

If I'm not wrong, the Indica DLS sold here comes with all these features except for the fog lamps.
Old 22nd March 2006, 12:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

yeah the feature list is pretty ok - except the airbags. The service interval and the warranty must be offerred here too.
Old 22nd March 2006, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys, look at the company's POV.

Quote:
Also no indian Indica are equipped with ABS/Air Bags.
They can't sell cars abroad if they don't have these "basic" features.

A lot of customers turned down the Swift ZXi telling "Who needs Airbags in India? We don't even wear seat-belts."

And don't worry, its just a matter of time before things like ABS,airbags,etc. can appear on an Indica. Once the WagonR with ABS/airbags is introduced, Indica might get them in a turbo version.

If there is demand for safety features(which is actually growing), things will happen!
Old 22nd March 2006, 12:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Whats a POV??

Wagon R does have ABS/Air Bag available as an Option.

Tata has the technology. Their Safari has ABS/Air Bags. Instead of adding DVDs, etc to the SX version they should have added ABS/AirBag IMHO. Also its high time M n M also give ABS/Airbag in the Scorpio rather then planing a Cruise Control which is of no use in India atleast becase in India you need Laser Guided Cruise Control (which will be choking due to start stop circumstances in our country) Even M n M give ABS/Airbags with its GOA(the Scorpio as its know abroad)
Old 22nd March 2006, 14:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Actually let me refine what Nitrous said... Tatas do have the technology and they do fit in several things in their exported cars that they do not do here. However as he said those are the basic requirements there. People won't buy the cars wo them; in fact even the local rules may not allow such cars to be sold. In such cases they are forced to add the features.

However the thing to look for is "at what cost". Are they selling the cars at the same price as to their equivalent indian currency costs? Probably not. In india if they provide the features the price will go up but people may be reluctant to pay for such features (call it lack of awareness or simple callousness). That is why an SX has DVD players and sceens attached but no ABS or airbags. Because the same guy who will buy the SX with all those jhingbangs for a huge additional price will crib to pay if it had ABS and airbags instead of those gizmos. He would not have seen the value-add over the regular models to pay the 1L additional.

So the bottomline is if the demand arises they will do it, otherwise not. Afterall Tatas very easily made their cars E-III compliant wo resorting to the CRDI engines (experts though felt that E-III will bring the demise of the NA engine as they can not be extended any further). They did it... and yet they never introduced this till they were forced to (by the change in legislation). Why, they still sell the E-II models in those Tier-III cities where BS-III cars are not mandatory! Afterall people are happy opting for a lower/inferior technology as long as they are paying less.

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd March 2006 at 14:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks