Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 18:00   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Beetle requires new Brake Discs in 10 months!

My neighbour had a similar problem with his Beetle (noise from the front left wheel). Upon contacting the VW dealer in BLR, he was initially informed that this is outside warranty. After becoming a bit aggressive, we were informed that the same is due to too little use (less than 1000 km in a year) and the brake has rusted. They also indicated that they will replace it at half the cost. Upon writing a letter to VW India management, the matter was resolved in a week and the part replaced under warranty.

I understand however that parts are not in stock and even warranty replacements take time to source and replace.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:13   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
Upon writing a letter to VW India management, the matter was resolved in a week and the part replaced under warranty.

I understand however that parts are not in stock and even warranty replacements take time to source and replace.
Vaman, who did they write to?

BTW has anyone seen this?
Delhi Court directs lodging of FIR on plea against Volkswagen's MD - The Times of India
Old 7th February 2012, 12:16   #33
BHPian

They wrote to VW Group Sales India Private Limited. The address was obtained from the net. A copy was marked to the dealer. In case I find out more information, I will let you know.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:20   #34
Team-BHP Support

My BIL got this response from VW today. Apparently it was written by the dealer. My impression is tht VW rather protect their dealer than their customer. I have removed my BIL's first name to retain privacy.

Dear Mr. ...... Thadani

Greetings from Volkswagen Mumbai West !

We are in receipt of your mail concern addressed to Mr. Muller (Dated 7th Feb 2012), kindly accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniency caused.

We once again assure you that there is no manufacturing defect in the vehicle and we will not be able to cover the same under warranty.

With reference to our mail communication dated 25th Jan 2012, stating about the receipt of the parts and the replacement of the brake pads and brake disc's on chargeable basis, we are awaiting for your reply.

Assuring you the best of services and attention at all times.

Regards
Aarti Naidu
Manager- Customer Relations
After Sales
Tornado Motors Pvt Ltd
Volkswagen Mumbai West
Old 8th February 2012, 16:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My BIL got this response from VW today.

Dear Mr. ...... Thadani

Regards
Aarti Naidu
Manager- Customer Relations
After Sales
Tornado Motors Pvt Ltd
Volkswagen Mumbai West
Sigh!.. What a blunt reply from the company to a 20 lac rupee customer! And they expect to sell volumes below 10L?

Its responses like this, that makes us go for the legal way.

Navin, whats the update from the legal side? With such a reply, I really don't expect much from the company hereon.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Its this attitude of the major European biggies makes me happy with Korens or Japs or for that matter Indian car companies. I have had a lot of issued with Maruti but all of them have been sorted out. 4 years after my car was bought, a small thing like the rubber bushes were replaced under warrenty. No questions asked!
Old 8th February 2012, 20:31   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Its this attitude of the major European biggies makes me happy with Korens or Japs or for that matter Indian car companies. I have had a lot of issued with Maruti but all of them have been sorted out. 4 years after my car was bought, a small thing like the rubber bushes were replaced under warrenty. No questions asked!
Prior to the Beetle my FIL had a Swift for 5 years and he was very happy. No brake discs were ever repaired on that Rs. 5L car in 5 years. But a 25L car driven by the same person for about the same km/year needs new brake discs in 10 months? Before the Swift he had an Audi 80 which he had for over 15 years. The body rusted before the brakes did!
Old 8th February 2012, 22:24   #38
Team-BHP Support

The beetle is based on the Golf IV / Octavia platform - I have not changed the discs as yet!
Old 9th February 2012, 12:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sigh!.. What a blunt reply from the company to a 20 lac rupee customer! And they expect to sell volumes below 10L?

Its responses like this, that makes us go for the legal way.

Navin, whats the update from the legal side? With such a reply, I really don't expect much from the company hereon.
I am not sure if your communication would really reach Mr. Joerg Mueller. I would suggest that you write an email directly to Mr. Mueller with CC to Mr. John Chacko and Mr. Neeraj Garg. Provide all the details and perhaps even a link to this thread. There email ids should be firstname.lastname[AT]volkswagen[dot]com as it seems to be the normal email id convention at VW.

I sincerely hope that VW management takes the matter of costumer-experience little more seriously. They should work on building peoples trust in the brand.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:29   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The beetle is based on the Golf IV / Octavia platform - I have not changed the discs as yet!
Neither have I on my 8 year old Octy. BTW here are some pics of the wheels. From what I can see through the wheel spokes there seems to be just a little rust.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Beetle requires new Brake Discs in 10 months!-beetle-wheel-disc-brake-800x600.jpg  

VW Beetle requires new Brake Discs in 10 months!-beetle-wheel-disc-brake-2-800x600.jpg  

Old 9th February 2012, 16:56   #41
Team-BHP Support

Too much of pitting on the surface, seems like a faulty material.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Would it be possible to get better photos without the wheels. Cant be sure if that is pitting or rust. If it is just rust then you have nothing to worry about except of course the warping and VW's attitude.

But if that is pitting then it is most certainly a material/casting defect. These holes are called pin holes in castings (if they are holes/pits)
Old 14th February 2012, 13:57   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Would it be possible to get better photos without the wheels. Cant be sure if that is pitting or rust. If it is just rust then you have nothing to worry about except of course the warping and VW's attitude.

But if that is pitting then it is most certainly a material/casting defect. These holes are called pin holes in castings (if they are holes/pits)
We would have to take the wheels off for nicer photos. If there is pitting shouldn't VW or their dealer fix it FOC?
Old 14th February 2012, 15:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
We would have to take the wheels off for nicer photos. If there is pitting shouldn't VW or their dealer fix it FOC?
If there is pitting then yes they have to fix it free of cost as it is most definitely a manufacturing defect. Having said that there is one problem though. Certain amount of pitting is permissible in castings. How much is permissible varies from company to company. But if the stuff that is visible in the photos is pitting then I personally would call that too much and not permissible by any manufacturing standard.

Last edited by vikram_d : 14th February 2012 at 15:34.
Old 14th February 2012, 15:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Navin, If its not a manufacturing defect, they ought to replace it under a 'Goodwill' warrantee, as the Germans like to call it! Where they will charge you say 50% of the new disc costs.
The Germans have an internal policy, where they look at such claims with partiality, and this depends on the standing of the customer, future prospects of business etc etc. And this can go upto 25% on parts cost for upto a 5 year old car.
One thing needs to be checked, does the cleaner empty the leftover water onto the wheels every morning, and is the car closer to the sea, and not used everyday.
I would agree with members here, that the metallurgy of the steel used in Jap cars are much better than the European counterparts.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed