Team-BHP - Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/115407-hyundai-i-flow-concept-showcased-plastindia-2012-a.html)

Official Press Release by BASF India -

Quote:

Plastindia 2012: BASF and Hyundai concept car shown for the first time in India
  • - i-flow, a one-of-a-kind concept car based on a unique collaboration between BASF and Hyundai Motor Group
  • - i-flow carries innovations rarely combined in automobiles and opens doors to endless possibilities for mobility in the future
  • - BASF receives ÖkoGlobe award for contribution to i-flow concept car in the areas of innovation and contribution to e-mobility
  • - BASF booth: Hall 7A, stall R1, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi
Delhi, India – February 1, 2012 – BASF, the world’s leading chemical company, invites visitors of Plastindia 2012 to be amongst the first in India to view the i-flow, a one-of-a-kind concept car based on a unique collaboration between BASF and Hyundai Motor Group. The breathtaking design of the i-flow is coupled with a wide range of innovative features, which are beneficial to the environment as well as eye-opening to many carmaker and car lovers. The i-flow will be displayed at the BASF booth during Plastindia 2012 from February 2 – 3, 2012.

BASF's contributions to the i-flow allow greater fuel efficiency, reduced environmental impact, freedom of design as well as greater comfort and safety. As a result, the concept car offers important new approaches to sustainable mobility. In view of these energy-efficient contributions in the i-flow project, BASF was granted the ÖkoGlobe award, an international environmental award in the area of mobility, sponsored by the University of Duisburg-Essen and spearheaded by automotive expert Prof. Ferdinand Dudenhöffer.

A concept for the seat frame of the i-flow provides an example for how lightweight construction materials can help conserve resources. It features Ultramid® Balance, a polyamide that consists to 60 percent of renewable raw materials, as well as other thermoplastics and energy-absorbing foams. The joint goal was to save as much weight as possible by using plastic components.

Luquafleece® is a moisture-absorbing material: When incorporated into seats it ensures that drivers and their passengers enjoy a pleasant seating climate even at the height of summer. Elastollan®, a thermo-plastic polyurethane elastomer, can be used for high-quality surfaces. It is abrasion-proof and can be produced in a wide range of both light and dark interior colors. The BASF polyurethanes material Elastoskin® is used for the dashboard and for interior automotive parts. It is characterized by an exceptional optic and haptics, combined with a pleasant soft touch. At the same time it provides the highest freedom in design for colors, textures and geometries.

The i-flow's energy concept provides an impressive example of high tech. The modern diesel engine is encapsulated with a rigid foam polyurethane insulation system that protects both the engine and the environment. On short trips and in city traffic especially, engines are slow to reach the optimum operating temperature or cool down quickly. The thermal engine insulation lessens this effect, reducing both emissions and fuel consumption. In addition, a harvesting system using the thermoelectric effect converts heat from the exhaust gases into electrical energy that helps power auxiliary systems. This results in significant fuel savings.

A new catalyst from BASF combines four technologies to cut emissions in just two components. As a result, it is possible to satisfy increasingly stringent emission standards for automobiles at a relatively favorable cost. At the same time, the new solution saves both weight and space.

Passive heat management can be used to reduce energy consumption even further. For example, a wide range of infrared-transparent and infrared-reflecting pigments in the car interior result in cooler plastic surfaces for the dashboard, seat and center console. Pigments from BASF's Sicotan®, Sicopal® and Lumogen® ranges provide very dark or black surfaces that remain distinctly cooler when exposed to sunlight. The result: greater comfort and less energy for air conditioning.

Modern vehicle interiors aim for maximum comfort. The BASF innovation Steron® is a soft-touch coating technology. Various textures even with a high complexity can be designed, varying from soft velvet to a smooth silky touch, always keeping a natural feel.

A literally brilliant effect is provided by a new mirror-like paint from BASF Coatings: The Liquid Metal basecoat makes the i-flow look as though it is chrome-plated rather than painted. In addition, the innovative iGloss clearcoat makes the paint surface both scratch-resistant and weather-resistant.

Pics courtesy wheelomania.

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow1.jpg

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow2.jpg

BASF and Hyundai showcase i flow concept during Plastindia 2012 at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi - Images ~ Wheel-O-Mania

Link to press release - Plastindia 2012: BASF and Hyundai concept car shown for the first time in India : BASF

Interesting read. However, they have been too vague in most parts
"greater fuel efficiency", "significant fuel savings" - how much?
"greater comfort and safety" - how is it safer?

While i'm sure its a brilliant concept with smashing technology in it, I just wish there was more information available about it

iFlow is taking the fluditic concept to the next level. Although this looks more aerodynamic in design and would surely have lesser wind resistance and hence greater efficiency, but i do not like the looks.

To me it looks more like car from "Back to Future", too many of curves and too jazzy for my liking.

^^ The article does mention that (the prime role of BASF) the interior plastics are made of a special compound and passive heat management to make the interior surface cooler.

This combined with the seats designed to make the driver and passengers more comfortable, during summers, would reduce the use of A/C, thereby improving the FE further.

The engine insulation is another contributing factor.

Well, in theory, all of these look good. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod332002 (Post 2671983)
Interesting read. However, they have been too vague in most parts
"greater fuel efficiency", "significant fuel savings" - how much?
"greater comfort and safety" - how is it safer?

While i'm sure its a brilliant concept with smashing technology in it, I just wish there was more information available about it

Absolutely agree with Vinod on this. The press release just mentions names of some fancy composites and technologies but doesn't mention how it does any of the claimed stuff :deadhorse

Quote:

A literally brilliant effect is provided by a new mirror-like paint from BASF Coatings: The Liquid Metal basecoat makes the i-flow look as though it is chrome-plated rather than painted. In addition, the innovative iGloss clearcoat makes the paint surface both scratch-resistant and weather-resistant.
Hope the paint at least is something to look forward to !

More pics of the i-Flow concept, courtesy Netcarshow.

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow_concept_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_03.jpg

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow_concept_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_07.jpg

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow_concept_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_0f.jpg

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow_concept_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow_concept_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_08.jpg

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow_concept_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_16.jpg

Hyundai i-Flow concept showcased at Plastindia 2012!-hyundaiiflow_concept_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_0b.jpg

Hi RaveAvi, interesting read, thanks for sharing. Taking a Concept through Commerce requires a lot of enginerring. Its great to see the effort though. BASF and Hyundai coming together to do this is commendable. Am sure that future will definitely see these concepts into a reality.