Team-BHP - Do you think large hatches will go crazy with 1.2s?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Do you think large hatches will go crazy with 1.2s? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/11541-do-you-think-large-hatches-will-go-crazy-1-2s.html)

Now that the government has given exise cuts on 4 m cars with petrol engines not exceeding 1.2 liters, most of the large hatches
missed the boat except the Indica Diesel. What do you think they should do nowIn all these cases, the cars are gonna be underpowered and some will suffer more than the others. Whats your opinion ???

i dont think the companies will invest crores to set up manufacturing plants for smaller engines or source smaller engines or make any revision whatsoever to let the customers avail an excise cut.IMHO also the cars having a 1.4 ltr engine are anyways not to high on power so shifting to a smaler engine will lead to a further decrease in power and also bring them into the small hatch category thereby decreasing their appeal.

There is no crores of investment involved. Like I said, the entry level Getz in the UK/Singapore etc is the fully indegenised 1.1 liter Santro engine. If its powerful enough for UK drivers, why not for India. The 1.3 can always be a more expensive option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower
There is no crores of investment involved. Like I said, the entry level Getz in the UK/Singapore etc is the fully indegenised 1.1 liter Santro engine. If its powerful enough for UK drivers, why not for India. The 1.3 can always be a more expensive option.

But they may not have an AC

Also keep in mind that Indian laws frequently change. All the hatches you have mentioned are premium hatches, with which the buyers expect a certain level of power, comfort, quality and amenities. No manufacturer will underpower their product in this category to take advantage of the excise cuts.

GTO

I don't think so because all hatches you have mentioned are pretty heavy.
The power to weight ratio will not favour a good drive.
Also as GTO mentioned all premium hatch buyers expect decent power. Already we are hearing comments that GETZ and SWIFT are underpowered...

Yes, no doubt the cars will be a little underpowered compared to what's on the market...... but not everybody goes for power.
Both the NHC and Indica diesel are low on performance but bestsellers in their respective segments.

Plus, the power freaks will always have the bigger engine to choose from !!!

Besides, the acceleration can be compensated by using shorter gearing.
If they really want to go the extra mile, you can always put a 4 valve head or turbo.

I can foresee both Hyundai and GM making the first move because they already have these products on offer elsewhere.

Quote:

Swift : Going by the same logic, I guess you could throw in the Alto's engine and see if it works. The existing G13 can also be modified.
Hmmm, and i feel why the Baleno's engine is not used in the Swift. Its too damn heavy(the way i like it) .:)

I'd like to see the large hatches with 1.6 engines first.

Maruti please give us a Swift with a 1.6 litre engine. please:

Grand Punto is headed our way. Its going to have the 1.2 Engine to cut the duty but its length exceeds the desired lenght so they are going to cut the bumpers small to qualify.

What about fitting a turbo in a 1.2 l engine.. I mean the buyers get terrific performance (MUCH more than a naturally aspirated 1.4 litre types) and FE and the companies get the excise cut.... so net net you pay the same price (the turbo will surely cost a bit...and hence the added cost...on the other hand some of it will get compensated by the savings in making a smaller engine and the excise cut) and get a much more responsive car

There you go Buffetfan, a perfect formula for a hot hatch that goes like stink and is also affordable to the masses.

Icing on the cake is better FE.

One Smart is only 700cc but turbocharged. Reaches 100 in 10.xx secs and top speed of 171kmph. Now if thats something the Indians can do that will be wonderful.

The Suzuki Alto (known as Zen else where) use to come with a 600cc turbocharged version with 64bhp.