Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 23:06   #271
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Well something is surely wrong with Vento and its copy Rapid.

A new rapid too caught fire.
Today's Photo Gallery, Picture News Gallery:Indian Express
Whoopie dee doo. Hope there were no injuries or fatalities. Skoda being Skoda perhaps they would say that this is a photo-shopped picture. Guess time to transfer the fire extinguisher into my Vento now.
Old 1st April 2012, 23:09   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Whoopie dee doo. Hope there were no injuries or fatalities. Skoda being Skoda perhaps they would say that this is a photo-shopped picture. Guess time to transfer the fire extinguisher into my Vento now.
I already got one for my vento @ 399rs from big bazaar. You also get it in reliance mart.

But i would prefer to run away.
Old 1st April 2012, 23:10   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Well something is surely wrong with Vento and its copy Rapid.

A new rapid too caught fire.
You won't find any coverage of this in the TV - Why? because it is not a Tata Nano. If it was, then it would have been "breaking news" on all news channels !!
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 23:20   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
You won't find any coverage of this in the TV - Why? because it is not a Tata Nano. If it was, then it would have been "breaking news" on all news channels !!

VW and Skoda- one and the same company. We indians are so crazy behind this brands that we behave like 3 monkeys of gandhiji. Dont see, dont hear and dont speak. Just follow what others do.

These must be the very few rare cases which we saw. There must be many cases that went unnoticed
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 23:34   #275
Senior - BHPian

I'm a little startled by the picture of the skoda rapid fire accident in the earlier page, just going by the visual similarity between both the rapid and the vento accidents. The fire has engulfed the rear, with very minimal damage to the engine bay, indicating the source of the fire is from the rear. Am I reading this right? or is my observation misplaced?

Article says caught fire due to short circuit - and you can clearly see its a diesel variant (Vento was a petrol variant, right?). Also, this is the ambition model, with a possibility of lots of aftermarket fitments including the ICE system. Having said all this, there is still no reason why the car should go up in flames in case of a short circuit, when there is a fuse box which is supposed to prevent it in the first place.
Old 1st April 2012, 23:37   #276
BHPian

Fiat brochures mention that the Linea an Grande Punto are equipped with a fire prevention system , anyone know what this is and how it works ? Others may not mention it, but I'd be surprised if VW , Honda , Toyota et all don't have something similar.

@Bala80 - the Vento that caught fire in Pune was a TDI.

The fire does look like it started in the engine bay or front passenger cabin area. Even if there were after market mods, it shouldn't come to this, engineering discipline would necessitate a wide margin of error for safety reasons. It's not like someone will try to run a particle accelerator off the car.

Last edited by Ricci : 1st April 2012 at 23:42.
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:19   #277
Senior - BHPian

Both the Vento and the Rapid are the 1.6 TDi versions. Did the VAG group do extensive testing of this imported engine for Indian conditions? Fire seems to have started from engine bay in both cases and if you observe the Rapid's RH front wheel is totally burnt/deformed.

Diesel by nature is less flammable than petrol, makes me wonder!
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:30   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci
Fiat brochures mention that the Linea an Grande Punto are equipped with a fire prevention system , anyone know what this is and how it works ?
Yes its a safety standard in all fiat cars even my old palio has this feature. In case of any collusion occurs fuel supply to the engine will cutoff automatically.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2012 at 10:34. Reason: Fixing quote
ezhil_18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:46   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Fiat brochures mention that the Linea an Grande Punto are equipped with a fire prevention system , anyone know what this is and how it works ? Others may not mention it, but I'd be surprised if VW , Honda , Toyota et all don't have something similar.

@Bala80 - the Vento that caught fire in Pune was a TDI.

The fire does look like it started in the engine bay or front passenger cabin area. Even if there were after market mods, it shouldn't come to this, engineering discipline would necessitate a wide margin of error for safety reasons. It's not like someone will try to run a particle accelerator off the car.
That fire prevention system is a cut off valve which cuts off the fuel in case of a accident IIRC. i think its there in almost all modern cars. And in this case of fire it wont be useful.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:04   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I'm a little startled by the picture of the skoda rapid fire accident in the earlier page, just going by the visual similarity between both the rapid and the vento accidents. The fire has engulfed the rear, with very minimal damage to the engine bay, indicating the source of the fire is from the rear. Am I reading this right? or is my observation misplaced?
Please read the Post #1 of this thread carefully. It has an eyewitness account which confirms that the Vento fire did in fact start from the engine bay.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:37   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
The fire has engulfed the rear, with very minimal damage to the engine bay, indicating the source of the fire is from the rear. Am I reading this right? or is my observation misplaced?
Look at the front, its a skeleton already. The wheels are coaled and the vehicle is tilted forward! Infact, I dont see much of the front being left over while the rear is relatively more intact
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:18   #282
Team-BHP Support

Has any other newspaper / media reported this incident? I wonder how they have identified the reason for fire. The caption on the picture says ”A car is seen engulfed in flames after it caught fire due to short circuit, at Rani bagh in New Delhi”.

With the complex equipment list in the modern cars, the quality of after-market modifications may have a big impact. Maybe the case here as well (e.g.; reverse camera add-on).
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:51   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Has any other newspaper / media reported this incident? I wonder how they have identified the reason for fire. The caption on the picture says ”A car is seen engulfed in flames after it caught fire due to short circuit, at Rani bagh in New Delhi”.

With the complex equipment list in the modern cars, the quality of after-market modifications may have a big impact. Maybe the case here as well (e.g.; reverse camera add-on).
If you closely see the pics of Vento and Rapid we can see fire started from under the hood.

In case of after market fitment short circuits the fire occurs inside the cabin that too not so much that it will mull down the whole bonnet and front tyres etc.
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:43   #284
Senior - BHPian

Sorry gentlemen, my observation was indeed misplaced.

VW had taken the vento which caught fire to their factory to do detailed diagnosis, but I havent seen any clarification report from them on this so far. Can someone post this on facebook in their page and ask for their response too (and may be skoda's too?). Not that i'm expecting them to respond, but atleast spread awareness to a more diverse set of audience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Please read the Post #1 of this thread carefully. It has an eyewitness account which confirms that the Vento fire did in fact start from the engine bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Look at the front, its a skeleton already. The wheels are coaled and the vehicle is tilted forward! Infact, I dont see much of the front being left over while the rear is relatively more intact
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:17   #285
Senior - BHPian

^^
bala there are multiple entries on this topic on VW Facebook page already. Needless to say they havent responded so far. They are taking lot of flak for this from people over there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks