Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 00:44   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Did we ever get to know what happened and what have VW/SKoda done to "fix" the issue? Also, is it specific only to the TDI and the petrols are clean?
Pls provide an update..
Equus is offline  
Old 31st December 2012, 14:04   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,467
Thanked: 2,046 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Did we ever get to know what happened and what have VW/SKoda done to "fix" the issue? Also, is it specific only to the TDI and the petrols are clean?
Pls provide an update..
No update, VW gulped the issue by managing all authorities. Its a history now burried in classified documents.

Only Assanage can find it now
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 1st January 2013, 12:44   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
No update, VW gulped the issue by managing all authorities. Its a history now burried in classified documents.
Pretty much on expected lines - if they do own it up, then it will be a big can of worms.
I was looking more toward some insider info on the "fix" or "probable fix"..

Bottomline - are the newer Vento/Rapid any more safer than earlier ones?
Equus is offline  
Old 1st January 2013, 14:45   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,570
Thanked: 1,734 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
The VW people gave an estimate of 7.9 lacs. He freaked out and asked how can the repair cost be higher than new car cost. They said including labors etc it comes to that figure.

Seems they want to convey that VW has zero labor cost in producing the original car so they sell it cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
The insurance company freaks out. Ofcourse VW people should be sent to some mental Asylum for their entire life for giving an estimate of 19 lacs to repair a 6 lac rs car.
I guess someone should send these estimates to the folks who fined Fiat over the excise duty issue of the Uno. Based on what VW is quoting for repairs, they seem to be selling the cars way lower than the production cost
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:05   #335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 888
Thanked: 1,457 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The other end of the spectrum is the Vento fire incident. It has been months since a life is lost; it looks to go down as another forgotten case. Itís a shame that VW is not coming up with an explanation, and even more appalling is that the authorities are not bothered to force an explanation out of them.

Its a matter of concern that the Vento does not come with a proper temperature guage in the dashboard.
This is a vital instrument that can indicate the coolant temperature and give a better indication of engine/coolant overheating and give a better reference to the driver regarding the state of the engine.
Instead of a temperature guage, there seems to be just a warning light and I've read in another post that the Vento manual mentions to stop immediately if this light flashes or you risk serious damage or Fire.

Of-course a temp guage may not be useful to prevent a fire due to electical short circuit or fuel/LPG related, but I strongly believe the Temperature guage is one instrument the manufacturers should not do away with (observed as a rising trend in current times)

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd April 2013 at 22:18.
for_cars1 is offline  
Old 24th April 2013, 11:17   #336
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 4,007
Thanked: 9,140 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
if the central locking engages can't one manually dis-engage it by turning back the door lock lever like in an indica ? How does the central locking system failure cause the doors to be un-openable even from inside ?
I will be interested in knowing this too.
I believe older cars like Indica, MS800, Alto, Zen etc. have locking levers/ handles which can be 'gripped' & operated even against the force of the auto-lock systems while many modern cars don't have gripping levers which can be forced open.

But this is my perception, & may be wrong. I would like to know this about other bhpians too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Temperature guage is one instrument the manufacturers should not do away with (observed as a rising trend in current times)
I remember older cars came with much more gauges than the newer ones. There would be an Amp meter to indicate the amount of charge generated by the dynamo/ alternator available to the battery; then there was an Oil Pressure gauge showing the engine oil status. Now, both these gauges are reduced to only warning lights- the red ignition light for the failed charging system & the oil warning light for low oil. But as time passes, we have learnt to live without them and surely they are not coming in again, ever.

Sadly, the same might be the case of temperature gauges which are also reduced to just lights. Sadly, I still think that all these 3 gauges are necessary in a car, though we may not need to peek at them every-time, but they provide critical information to the driver.

Hope the manufacturers will not do away with fuel meters too in recent future- reduced by a 'low fuel warning' light! Again hope they don't brush away the speedos too, as the speeds are available on the GPS systems fitted in most modern cars today!

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 24th April 2013 at 11:29.
saket77 is offline  
Old 28th March 2017, 11:22   #337
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 599
Thanked: 917 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

It has been over 3 years now. Was there any official announcement from VW regarding the reason for the fire? Was it due to rodents/rats cutting off important wires? Or was it due to engine fault resulting in overheating?

VW owes the country an explanation? I am thinking off buying a Vento and this thread put me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Its a matter of concern that the Vento does not come with a proper temperature guage in the dashboard.
This is a vital instrument that can indicate the coolant temperature and give a better indication of engine/coolant overheating and give a better reference to the driver regarding the state of the engine.
Instead of a temperature guage, there seems to be just a warning light and I've read in another post that the Vento manual mentions to stop immediately if this light flashes or you risk serious damage or Fire.

Of-course a temp guage may not be useful to prevent a fire due to electical short circuit or fuel/LPG related, but I strongly believe the Temperature guage is one instrument the manufacturers should not do away with (observed as a rising trend in current times)
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:23   #338
BHPian
 
YakubKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: BLR
Posts: 36
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento catches fire. Owner dies from burn injuries

https://m.freepressjournal.in/articl...ource=inshorts
Read this article now about a moving Vento catching fire and saw this thread relating to a similar incident. Unlike the earlier instance, there were no casualties here. Based on the alloy design, it seems like this Vento is also an earlier model. Wonder if these are just 2 isolated incidents or if there's an underlying reason related to the car itself.
YakubKC is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks