Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are car manufacturers really concerned about semi urban and rural markets

Seeing the car advertisements and marketing campaign of the car manufacturers, it looks like always they focus on the urban market. They show very little concern to even medium size towns and district headquarters. Can understand that starting dealership is not viable in these towns, but atleast there should be an authorized service center for every brand of car in every district and big town. Are people in towns not meant to use better cars that we in cities enjoy.

My native place Rajahmundry is one of the biggest towns in AP. It is an hub for many trades and located in the center of two wealthiest districts of AP. The number of cars in my town alone would be in few thousands. At present we have dealerships of only Maruti and TATA. Hyundai recently closed their shop. All other manufacturers doesn't have even a decent service center. Whatever service centers we have are hopeless. They don't even stock basic spareparts.

People who own other brand cars, they have to drive 200 KMS for the nearest dealership. Many people like my Dad who is a doctor can't afford to loose a day at work just to get their car serviced. My Dad owns a Fiat Siena and wants to upgrade to a newer car and the only options he has are Indigo or Swift. We bought Fiat because, Fiat promised a full fledged service center in our town. They did start, but those guys even don't know how to adjust head light beam. My Dad's friends who own a Corsa are also in the same situation. We don't want to risk again by buying a city, Aveo or Fiesta.

When I asked Honda, Ford & GM dealers in Hyderabad why are they not concerned about service in districts, they simply answer that their cars will never require any attention. And they can't afford to start a service center to attend to few calls. :WTF:

I remember when Maruti started operations in 80s, we had two Maruti authorized service centers in our town. Also they started the dealership more than a decade ago. Maruti can teach a lesson or two to others in that department.

Hope other mfrs learn their lessons real quick....

Last edited by satish_appasani : 23rd March 2006 at 11:46.
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:01   #2
BHPian

One reason could be the economies vs the scale. Last I heard that on an average about 100-150 cars (in total for all RTO's) get registered in B'lore per day!This might not be the case with smaller / medium sized towns , cities. But the contrary happens as well?
[SIZE=2]MBIL, i heard opened up a showroom in Gonikoppa before they had one in Bangalore coz the numbers of people buying their cars in this town were more than B'lore at that time.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Old 24th March 2006, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Seeing the car advertisements and marketing campaign of the car manufacturers, it looks like always they focus on the urban market. They show very little concern to even medium size towns and district headquarters. Can understand that starting dealership is not viable in these towns, but atleast there should be an authorized service center for every brand of car in every district and big town. Are people in towns not meant to use better cars that we in cities enjoy.

My native place Rajahmundry is one of the biggest towns in AP. It is an hub for many trades and located in the center of two wealthiest districts of AP. The number of cars in my town alone would be in few thousands. At present we have dealerships of only Maruti and TATA. Hyundai recently closed their shop. All other manufacturers doesn't have even a decent service center. Whatever service centers we have are hopeless. They don't even stock basic spareparts.

People who own other brand cars, they have to drive 200 KMS for the nearest dealership. Many people like my Dad who is a doctor can't afford to loose a day at work just to get their car serviced. My Dad owns a Fiat Siena and wants to upgrade to a newer car and the only options he has are Indigo or Swift. We bought Fiat because, Fiat promised a full fledged service center in our town. They did start, but those guys even don't know how to adjust head light beam. My Dad's friends who own a Corsa are also in the same situation. We don't want to risk again by buying a city, Aveo or Fiesta.

When I asked Honda, Ford & GM dealers in Hyderabad why are they not concerned about service in districts, they simply answer that their cars will never require any attention. And they can't afford to start a service center to attend to few calls. :WTF:

I remember when Maruti started operations in 80s, we had two Maruti authorized service centers in our town. Also they started the dealership more than a decade ago. Maruti can teach a lesson or two to others in that department.

Hope other mfrs learn their lessons real quick....

First:- Not many luxury cars are sold so its not viable for dealers to open shop to cater to a small segment. They would not make any profits

Second:- Rural people dont need Honda city's and toyota corolla's and even cant afford to own one.

third:- Few manufacturers actually specifically look after rural market. like

Maruti-suzuki
tata
mahindra
Force motors
Sonalika etc.
Old 24th March 2006, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
First:- Not many luxury cars are sold so its not viable for dealers to open shop to cater to a small segment. They would not make any profits

Second:- Rural people dont need Honda city's and toyota corolla's and even cant afford to own one.

third:- Few manufacturers actually specifically look after rural market. like

Maruti-suzuki
tata
mahindra
Force motors
Sonalika etc.
Devashri...How can you justify people in rural india can't afford to buy City and Carolla? Many of them can afford and they very much desrve attention of international car mfrs.

I am not talking about rural areas where there are no proper roads and people travel by Tempo Trax and Mahindra Commander.

My point is about medium to big size towns like district head quarters. They are either big muncipalities or small corporations with population more than 4 lakhs.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th March 2006 at 12:28.
Old 24th March 2006, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Devashri...How can you justify people in rural india can't afford to buy City and Carolla? Many of them can afford and they very much desrve attention of international car mfrs.

I am not talking about rural areas where there are no proper roads and people travel by Tempo Trax and Mahindra Commander.

My point is about medium to big size towns like district head quarters. They are either big muncipalities or small corporations...
My mistake. I thought you talking about the villages.

And still I dont justify that they cant buy. The numbers will be still low for a dealrship to survive.
Old 24th March 2006, 14:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

wht about mahindras's RTV made especially for the rural market. though i think the postal vans in mumbai are rtvs now.

i guess manufacturers dont think that they can operate in these markets profitably and so they dont have too many dealerships or service centres there.
Old 25th March 2006, 13:00   #7
BANNED

Most of the car manufacturers do not do any proper market research in the rural areas when they are launching cars. That's one of the reason for the poor performance of many cars through the rural tarmacs.

And also they under-estmate the purchasing power parity of rural areas. The scene is entirely different now in the case of 2-wheeelers. Let's all hope that this situation will change in the case of cars also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks