Team-BHP - FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/115668-features-comparison-select-hatchbacks-sedans-rs-6-7-p-7-8-d-lakhs-range.html)

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range

This thread is the third in the FEATURES comparison series. Following are the two other threads in which I have compared hatchback in Base and Mid variants.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...atchbacks.html (Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...5-d-lakhs.html (FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks : Rs.4.70-5.55 (P) & 5.70-6.55 (D) lakhs)

The idea of this features comparison is to bring to light the features one gets in the top variants of B+ segment hatchbacks with entry or mid-level variants of full-fledged accomplished sedans (not the entry level / built-to-price / dated design sedans – Accent, Dzire, Etios, Indigo CS, Verito). Premium feel, long Features list & Space (passenger as well as boot) are important aspects when one is spending Rs. 6 lakhs plus on their prized possession. It is interesting to see that the top-end versions of premium hatchbacks pack quite a punch in terms of features such as Airbags & ABS, Driver’s seat height adjust, 60:40 split-fold rear seats (except Fabia), Alloy wheels and the Punto & i20 even have Automatic Climate Control (ACC) – in comparison amongst the sedans only the Manza, Sunny and City score on the safety front with dual Airbags and ABS, plus the Manza also has driver’s seat height adjust (Sunny has partial adjust) and Alloy wheels in its Elan variant being compared here.

I have broadly taken a price range (mentioned below) as the basis of the comparison. Even though prices do keep on changing, this is an exercise to apprise discerning consumers and fellow BHPians about the features available in variants of various models available in a price range. If I don’t take into account a price band then there is no end to the number of cars that can be considered in the comparison. I feel price plays an important deciding role in the sub-10 lakhs price bracket. Please note that all the prices have been taken from manufacturer’s website only and therefore we are not taking into account any prevailing discounts or offers. Also, all prices are ex-showroom Delhi as of Apr’12.

Price range of the select hatchbacks & sedans in petrol & diesel variants respectively:

1) Petrol: Between 6.30 & 7.15 lakhs
2) Diesel: Between 7.10 & 8.35 lakhs

Car Models whose Features are compared are as follows:
1) Skoda Fabia (1.6 P / 1.2 D)
2) Fiat Grande Punto (1.4 P / 1.3 D)
4) Hyundai i20 (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
5) Honda Jazz (1.2 P only)
6) VW Polo (1.6 P & 1.2 D)
7) Tata Indigo Manza (1.4 P / 1.3 D)
8) Fiat Linea (1.4 P / 1.3 D)
9) Nissan Sunny (1.5 P / 1.5 D)
10) Maruti Suzuki SX4 (1.6 P / 1.3 D)
11) Skoda Rapid (1.6 P / 1.6 D)
12) Hyundai Verna (1.4 P / 1.4 D)
13) Honda City (1.5 P only)
14) Tata Sumo Grande MKII (2.2 D only)
15) Maruti Suzuki Ertiga (1.4 P / 1.3 D)

NOTE: For the following cars, which have variants with more than one engines on offer - the bigger capacity engine is chosen for three hatchbacks and a smaller capacity engine is considered in the case of the Verna:
1) Fabia & Polo – 1.6 Petrol (not the 1.2 petrol)
2) Punto – 1.4 Petrol (not the 1.2 petrol) & 90BHP Diesel (not the 75BHP)
3) Verna – 1.4 Petrol & Diesel (not the 1.6 petrol & diesel)

The Skoda Rapid was a squeeze in but this was not in the case of the Vento which is priced higher – still one of the siblings is there and a total of three cars from the VW stable is represented - the most from one parent company.

The absence of Swift & Fiesta Classic is debatable, but to me these cars are a shade smaller in terms of passenger and boot space w.r.t. to the cars being compared here. They have the shortest wheelbase (2430 & 2486 mm resp.) and the least amount of boot space (only 204 & 430 litres resp.) amongst the hatchbacks & sedans respectively in this comparison. Also, in the case of the Swift – its “Z” variants are priced under 6 & 7 lakhs for the petrol & diesel variants respectively – so it ducks under the price band being taken into account in this comparison – which is good in a way.

The inclusion of FIAT’s Punto & Linea in this comparison is a borderline case, as even though the vehicles themselves are not bad products, their sales are relatively poor to warrant a whole-hearted inclusion. FIAT’s 1.3 Multijet diesel engine is the only engine manufactured in India that has won a “World Engine of the Year” award (year 2006 in the 1000-1400CC category). It seems like FIAT is happy from the income it earns from licensing and supplying engines to other manufacturers (Maruti Suzuki & Tata Motors) and in turn help increase their sales rather than sell/promote their own cars and do their own brand building. The 2012 refresh / variants rejig has helped sales a bit, but in the long run I don’t think there is much to counter the stiff competition, both in the hatchback & sedan segment.
I have slipped in the Sumo Grande MkII and the latest entrant - Ertiga as well. While one is a full-fledged MUV the other is a city MUV and both are fairly credible options for those who don’t want a sedan but something to tower over them or to travel with the whole jing-bang. The quality of interiors and plastics is just about average in the Grande and better in the Ertiga. But what the Grande has is “road presence” and one won’t be scared treading bad and waterlogged roads where sedans tread with caution their owners dread these moments. The Ertiga on the other hand offers the versatility as a people carrier or a spacious vehicle with compact dimensions as compared to the other MUVs (Innova, Sumo Grande, Tavera & Xylo) when 5 or less people are travelling. My dad owns a Grande and I realised that one can get a quasi-SUV for the price of a C segment sedan. Although, the Xylo is also in the similar price range but one can only get the base variant in around Rs.8 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi), whereas you can get Grande’s middle variant in the same price range.

BHP and torque figures are mentioned to differentiate between the variants as in the case of the Fabia, Punto, Polo and Verna different engine options are being considered. I’ve taken boot space also into account in the comparison, as it is a quantifiable aspect (not so in the case of passenger space – leg/knee room) and an important consideration/feature for some while buying a car. Also, Euro NCAP rating is mentioned in order to give an idea of the safety rating of the car as judged by western standards. It is to be noted that the safety features with which the cars have been tested (Airbags, ABS with EBD, etc) are not necessarily available in the model compared over here. But the body structure (with its impact absorbing crumple zones) and the structural/torsional rigidity remains the same across variants, so the ratings are included to give a fair idea of the amount of safety afforded to the passengers of the car.

Please note that this comparison is based solely on the criteria decided by me and it is my personal choice – rest the excel sheet mentions all facts only.

I’ve also colour-coded Unique features (purple), some Delight(ful) features (yellow) that tend to enhance the ownership experience to a small but heart-warming extent. Some example of Delightful features are:Some examples of Unique features are:I have also mentioned Glaring omissions (orange), which are features not present in one model but is there in all or most of the other models being compared in the same segment* or across segments** or a feature not available even on the top-end variant***, or is a sort of cost-cutting measure in a certain way****. Features highlighted in blue are hatchback or sedan specific features and are therefore not applicable for both segments. E.g. rear windscreen wiper and washer is a relevant feature only for a hatchback/notchback and isn’t applicable for sedans and similarly rear seat armrest is generally considered to be a sedan/SUV/MUV specific feature and is not present in hatchbacks.

*e.g. All the hatchbacks except the Fabia have alloys in the price range. Even though most of the sedan variants in this comparison don’t have Alloy wheels, but it is there in all the other hatchbacks – so in the case of the Fabia it is a notable omission.

**e.g. A not very big/cost intensive feature not present in models across the hatch and sedan segment is the Fuel Consumption/Average/Mileage and Distance to Empty display that is not present in even the top-end Asta variant of the i20 and the base variants of SX4 & the Rapid.

*** e.g. Only the Punto and the i20 have Automatic Climate Control (ACC) in their top-end variants compared here. ACC is a notable omission in the top-end variants of the Fabia, Jazz and Polo.

**** e.g. No electrically adjustable ORVM in Fabia

Following are some of the Features common across all the car variants considered in this comparison

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range-1.jpg
FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range-2.jpg
FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range-3.jpg
FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range-4.jpg
FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range-5.jpg
FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range-6.jpg

Points of note for each car compared

Skoda Fabia

After the Jazz, the Fabia is the most spacious hatchback and has quite a few unique features (auto-up/down and anti-pinch on all 4 power windows, open-close power windows from remote, illuminated glovebox, option to set parcel tray at two levels - thereby maximizing utilization of space), though it does without Automatic Climate Control (ACC) and electrically adjustable ORVM. The Fabia is as well-built as its elder sibling the Polo, but without the haughtiness that VW has endowed the Polo with its premium pricing but not so premium passenger space and omission of certain key features.

FIAT Grande Punto

The Grande Punto was the first hatch with Bluetooth technology which not only lets you pair your phone and make or receive calls and access your phone’s contact list, but you can even reads out SMS. It has other good set of unique features such as Follow-me home headlamps and metal sheet behind the rear seat to prevent luggage intrusion. Queer sales and after sales policies being followed by Fiat has rendered this fairy good product a laggard in the premium hatchback segment. Fiat is now engaged in a sort of last ditch effort to revive sales and open its own service centres as opposed to relying on Tata Motors only. I feel 2012 will be a make or break year for FIAT as a passenger car maker in India as the competition is quite cut-throat.

Hyundai i20

The i20 delights with the quality of interiors which are well-made and bright with use of beige – something that will appeal to most Indians. It is also teeming with features such as ACC, a cooled glovebox and electrically folding & heated ORVMs. i20 is the only car in this comparison to have a rear parking sensors & camera with display on ORVM, seatbelt reminder for all passengers, doors unlock on impact, cooled glovebox, smart key & push button start, rain sensing wipers and the Asta (O) petrol only variant even has side and curtain airbags, a sun-roof and auto-headlights, which are not available in any other hatch or sedan in this comparison. The i20 is fairly spacious but it is somewhere near the Polo in terms of rear legroom which is fairly limited or let’s say just about adequate.

Honda Jazz

The Jazz is undoubtedly the most spacious hatchback around with entry level sedan rivaling passenger & boot space. The Jazz delights with its fold-up middle row of seats, cup holders cooled by AC vents; but the omission of ACC & Bluetooth robs it of some snob value. Jazz is a good product, but it doesn’t get the due credit by way of sales, as a result of arbit pricing by Honda (which has recently been slashed by almost 1.50 lakhs and in the process made the earlier buyers feel grossly cheated) and the obsession of the average Indian with a sedan (car with a boot to be precise). Also the production constraints being faced by Honda, resulted in zero sales in Jan’12. Surprisingly Jazz is the least selling premium hatchback – even the laggard Punto sells more. Jazz loyalist may argue that it is in the league of entry-level/compact sedans – but then the Dzire and the Indigo CS sell more atleast 10 times.

VW Polo

The Polo is the most expensive petrol hatch of the lot, but feature-wise it is not the best. It doesn’t have ACC or an AUX-in or USB in the music system. Plus the driver-side has controls only for the front power windows and cannot operate or even lock the rear power windows (required with children at the back seat). The value proposition is lacking in the Polo and it is not redeemed by the thrummy 3 cylinder engines on offer. In the brochure, VW even advertises features such as halogen lights, car jack, and front disc brakes which I believe are standard in all mainstream cars. The Indian Polo feels built-to-price as compared to the European Polo. Build quality is subjective but a Punto for that matter feels more solidly built (body-wise – the way the doors shut; not the interiors or plastics, which in the Polo have a German air of solidity but blandness to it).

Indigo Manza

With its base variants starting from Rs. 5.55 (P) & 6.35 (D) lakhs, the Manza is a veritable hatchback cannibalizer and an underdog in this comparison. It is overshadowed by Tata’s A.S.S. and below average build quality – but it is a worthy contender for the budget conscious. It doesn’t look like a hatch with a boot, as was the case of the older Indigo, and has a generally pleasing appeal. The Élan variant being considered here is fairly well equipped – it has Airbags & ABS, a Bluetooth enabled music system with steering controls and is fairly spacious as well – the Nissan Sunny being its closest competitor in terms of space. The only glaring omission one could say is the lack of ACC, although Tata has given it cost-effective electric controls for HVAC which are fairly contemporary to look and refined to operate as compared to manual controls.

Fiat Linea

The Linea also doesn’t seem like a hatch with a boot and is in my opinion the best looker of the lot. The Linea shares its negatives with its partner the Tata’s – average plastics/mouldings quality & A.S.S. (which is till now managed by Tata Motors). It has overall a solid build quality and is in fact heavier than all the cars in the comparison – but this weight does tend to blunt performance – the SX4 with Fiat’s same Multijet engine propels it faster than the Linea. Though a value for money vehicle at the time of the launch, the Linea is now overshadowed by the competition, especially the Verna, Rapid & Sunny. Rear AC vents and "Blue & Me" were its unique features earlier, but newer competition (esp. the ones with diesel engines) has left it in the cold with some keen pricing.

Nissan Sunny

The Sunny is playing its space card quite well and sales have been decent even though Nissan started-off with only the petrol variant. The addition of a diesel variant has only increased its appeal. Although the Sunny is built-to-price, its size belies its rather light built for a full-size sedan – the petrol variant weighs in at only 1027 kgs versus the lightest sedan in the bunch - the Honda City at 1100 kgs. Also the Sunny hasn’t been tested by Euro NCAP – New Car Assessment Program (like the Manza, Verna and even the City). Though it is to be noted that the Sunny’s XL variant being considered here, comes equipped with Airbags & ABS.

Maruti Suzuki SX4

The SX4 is an Alpha “Male” with a serious identity crisis. Designed as a 4X4 car, the car is sensibly sold only in the 2X2 variant in India, but the awkward stance and the hump running down the centre of the car, makes it comfortable only for four adults to travel In, though the high ground clearance (170mm) ensures easy ingress/egress. Also the high ground clearance is a boon for traversing bad roads. SX4s only saving grace is Maruti’s sales & service network. The diesel variant could have been its trump card, but MS has priced it a bit high, as a result the competition is giving it a tough time. Feature-wise the ‘V’ variants being considered here lack any safety features (Airbags & ABS), but in general there is nothing in the SX4 to write home about.

Skoda Rapid

The Skoda Rapid has set the cat among the pigeons. Cheaper than its closest competitors – the Sunny & Verna (even the 1.4) in both diesel and petrol variants and also the City (petrol only), the Rapid is a strong contender in the C-segment, despite not the best A.S.S. and possibly expensive spares. Electrically adjustable ORVM, Airbags & ABS and a music system being notable omissions in the base “Active” variant. These three features being available only in the Manza and the Sunny amongst the sedans in this comparison. The Rapid seems to be fairly well-built, spacious and has fairy well-powered 1.6 petrol and diesel motors – the same as in its more expensive sibling – the Vento. Rear A/C vents (only in the Linea – the Sunny has only a re-circulating blower not an A/C duct per se) and features such as Auto-up/down and anti-pinch power windows for all four door (also there on the Fabia) are delightful features present even in the base Active variant.

Hyundai Verna (Fluidic)

The new Fluidic Verna has taken the C segment by storm and set the sales chart on fire. The base 1.4 petrol and diesel variants being considered in this comparison are fairly powerful, though not that well equipped. Alongside the Sunny and Rapid, the Verna looks expensive in comparison. Queer pricing by Hyundai has rendered these 1.4 variants as only lead-in variants for pulling in customers, as for around Rs.70k more one can get the 1.6 variants which are better equipped as well – feature wise. On a personal note, till date I have seen only 1.6 Verna’s on road and most of them are Diesel SX variants.

Honda City (Corporate edition)

The Corporate edition has enabled the City qualify for this comparison. Except for the absence of a music system, the City seems to be fairly well equipped and even has Driver and Passenger airbags alongwith ABS with EBD in this supposedly base variant – a commendable act by Honda considering that they can easily launch an entry level variant for atleast Rs.50k less sans these safety features. I personally like the black interiors and I believe one can always add a Bluetooth enabled double DIN with decent speakers for less than Rs.20k. One still gets Honda’s acclaimed VTEC engine and every bit the same car as its higher end variants, sans some features. Surprisingly it also has electrically adjustable ORVM – Pretty good value, but then the lack of a diesel variant is seriously hurting Honda and it is reflecting in its sales figures.

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga

Maruti Suzuki has injected some life in the bulky MUV segment. Ertiga is a MUV targeted for in-city commuting mostly and just about makes the cut as a 7-seater. Considering the average Indian’s height/built, seating seven adults should not be very uncomfortable for short distances and if need be the odd same day short excursion (500 km) round-trip should be manageable, plus one saves on hiring a taxi or taking two cars. The Ertiga is not pretending to be a full-sized MUV, but is a city people carrier or a spacious hatch (with a huge boot) depending on the need of the hour. The Ertiga is a very competent package for the large Indian families which have hitherto shied away from big, bulky & mini-truck like MUVs (Sumo Grande, Xylo, Tavera) and the Innova which is really priced at a premium (though is the leading MUV as an overall package) – though all of them are more spacious than the Ertiga which is a size smaller on the outside as well as inside, but the Ertiga has a fairly large wheelbase to its credit. Feature-wise the ‘V’ variants are fairly well-loaded with a bias towards the diesel variant which has ABS as standard as compared to an optional extra for the petrol variant (Vxi).

Tata Sumo Grande MKII

The Sumo Grande is not really in league of the hatchbacks and sedans in this comparison, but it makes for a strong case if one is looking for a decent people mover (large families or ones who would like to take their dog along on their journey) with a budget of around Rs. 8 lakhs. You do get space/roominess and there is quite a lot of it – in all three rows even with a fairy average wheelbase (as compared to the Xylo & Innova). Also the high driving position and the road presence really helps in negotiating traffic and the pesky auto-rickshaws will scurry for cover, if you choose to out muscle them. The 2.2 Dicor engine with 118BHP and 250 Nm of torque (available between 1500-3000 RPM) is fairly powerful for cruising on the highway and low-end torque helps in drivability in the city. The Sumo Grande has the edge over hatchbacks & sedans, only if ones daily commute involves traversing really bad roads (kind of mild off-roading)– helped by the 16 inch 235/70 Bridgestone Duelers and a Ground Clearance of 180mm. Lack of any safety features (Airbags / ABS) even in the top variants, can be a dampener for some.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Most of the information has been collated from the manufacturers’ website for their respective cars and their brochures (so it is liable to change anytime at manufacturer’s discretion). Inclusion of some models & exclusion of others are solely on my personal criteria for comparison.

P.S. There are some blanks (“?” in the sheet) which need to be filled – so if owners of those vehicles can pitch-in, it would be great. Please report to me any anomalies in the analysis, as owners of these models would have a better idea and even the manufacturers also sometimes inadvertently don’t give the complete information or the details are mentioned incorrectly in their communication (online / brochure). I have tried to cover all possible features, but if any have been left out owners can point it out, preferably with supporting pictures (and remember they should be of same variant compared here). Please note that we are considering only the latest variants of the respective cars, say 2012 model and not the earlier ones or the ones that are no longer produced (e.g. Old Swift, Verna or Linea).

Thanks for the detailed analysis :)

The last I remember, Linea had rear AC vents.

Also, i20 has driver window auto up too and no anti-pinch. Autolocking can be enabled from the service center. Isnt the wheel rim size 15? Also, i20 offers split seats?

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of the above.

Amazing job! I'm sure you have saved a lot of us a lot of time before we head to the showrooms to make a choice.
Do you plan to do something on similar lines for premium sedans? If not, add that to the list of your to-do's :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by _raVan_ (Post 2678841)
Thanks for the detailed analysis :)

The last I remember, Linea had rear AC vents.

Also, i20 has driver window auto up too and no anti-pinch. Autolocking can be enabled from the service center. Isnt the wheel rim size 15? Also, i20 offers split seats?

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of the above.

The base Active variant of Linea being compared here does not have knee level AC vents. Only the Dynamic & Emotion variants have it. Regarding the i20, I'll take your word and amend regarding the P/W Auto-up - not too sure about auto-locking as it is not a standard feature in a brand new car - but nonetheless will mention it as an option. As per Hyundai's website and online brochure, no variant of i20 has 15" wheel rim size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 2678907)
Amazing job! I'm sure you have saved a lot of us a lot of time before we head to the showrooms to make a choice.
Do you plan to do something on similar lines for premium sedans? If not, add that to the list of your to-do's :).

Thanks. There are a couple of comparos in the pipeline. The next one is going to be of mid/high variants of hatchbacks and entry level sedans - prompted by the launch of the new Dzire. I've also started preliminary work on a comparo of sedans but that will include high-end variants of Verna & Vento among others - don't think Cruze, Laura or Fluence will make the cut - if that is what you meant.

jessie 007 this is superb work, that you have considered even options like MKII Grande that fall in the same price band makes this even better.

Since you have analysed and studied these cars such a lot if would be great if you were to shortlist / select you top 2/3 options that you would yourself go for also stating the application and reasoning among these. You could share this view a bit later after inputs from others come in.

Car selection is such subjective thing and smartcat has earlier tried to make it as objective as possible with this chain of threads cover the same vehicles more or less. But it is simply impossible to select one winner except state what one would personally be prepared to put ones money one if the need existed.

Can we consider Mahindra Bolero as well? I guess it also falls under this price bracket & is a good car. Not sure if it has many features like these other cars has but its a dam good car at that price for sure.

I guess we can include new Dzire as well. Its a good car with lots of features. We can consider Zxi version or Zdi version. Its also a really VFM & going to give tough fight to all cars mentioned above.

All prices (ex-showroom Delhi) have been updated. Also the features for the new i20 have been updated

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

I have now included the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga also in the comparison - the Vxi & Vdi variants have been considered as per the chosen price band for this comparison. The Ertiga is a credible option vis-a-vis the sedans, for those who hanker for more space and an option to seat 7 people on occasions.