Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 20:15   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil

I do think that Lexus has their SUV's based on Toyota models though.
Lexus LX is based on Toyota Land Cruiser platform. GX is based on Toyota Land Cruiser Prado platform. RX is based on Toyota Camry platform that is shared by Lexus ES as well.
Old 29th August 2012, 20:47   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
There is no Sedan in the toyota family that has a RWD platform, .
Though sharing platforms with the Lexus, Toyota does have RWD cars in JDM.
Starting with the Mark X (Cressida successor), Toyota Crown family (Sedan,Comfort,Royal,Majesta,Athlete something) and the grandfather Century. But outside Japan and East Asia, like you said Toyota doesn't have any RWD sedans.
Old 29th August 2012, 20:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

re: Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Though sharing platforms with the Lexus, Toyota does have RWD cars in JDM.
Starting with the Mark X (Cressida successor), Toyota Crown family (Sedan,Comfort,Royal,Majesta,Athlete something) and the grandfather Century. But outside Japan and East Asia, like you said Toyota doesn't have any RWD sedans.
Actually yes. But those JDM cars are sold outside as Lexus badged cars, correct?
Old 29th August 2012, 22:04   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Actually yes. But those JDM cars are sold outside as Lexus badged cars, correct?
Yeah, but unlike earlier generations LS/Celsior these are not rebadged ones, just platform sharing. And the Century has it's own ancient platform and distinction of being the only FR layout V12 engined Japanese car.
Old 10th November 2012, 16:06   #65
BHPian

Lexus doesn't believe in diesels.... at all !!!

Lexus claims that diesel is just stop gap solution towards cleaner drivetrains of the future. With future emission regulations in place, the cost of performing exhaust after treatment in diesels will increase to such an extent that Hybrids and may be fuel cells will turn out to be cheaper than diesels.

Quote:
Speaking to CarAdvice in Melbourne, Lexus Australia’s head of marketing, Peter Evans, confirmed that nothing is closed off to Lexus except diesel technology, which he labelled a band-aid solution to cleaner, greener drivetrains since diesels require enormous after-cleaning technology to meet incoming emissions targets.

“By the time you get to Euro 7 [European emission regulations], the add on to clean up the tailpipe emissions is so expensive that ultimately the cheaper and more cost efficient approach could be fuel cells, it could be hybrid. Some of the manufacturers may jump straight from turbo diesels to hybrid,” Evans said.
In the past also, Lexus has publicized their plans to move towards a complete hybrid only line-up as a differentiating factor and USP. The only diesel sedan in their entire European Lineup (Lexus IS 220d) is on verge of getting axed with next model change.

So no diesels from Lexus in India.

Source:http://www.caradvice.com.au/199081/l...term-solution/

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 10th November 2012 at 16:08.
Old 10th November 2012, 18:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Lexus doesn't believe in diesels.... at all !!!

Lexus claims that diesel is just stop gap solution towards cleaner drivetrains of the future. With future emission regulations in place, the cost of performing exhaust after treatment in diesels will increase to such an extent that Hybrids and may be fuel cells will turn out to be cheaper than diesels.
Lexus counts US as its biggest market? In that case sticking to hybrids is their best bet with the limited acceptance of diesel fuel in this market and the higher price of diesel in this country. Toyota as a brand sells a lot more the world over (including Europe), so diesels are necessary in that portfolio.
Old 10th June 2014, 13:59   #67
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is still 'considering' launching the Lexus brand in India to rival the German trio!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/36310441.cms

Quote:
Naomi Ishii, MD of Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM), the Indian subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corporation, said, "We see a lot of opportunity in India now. Given that the three German brands are doing well, I feel we need Lexus here."
Ishii,who took over as MD earlier this year, said that it was 'his dream to bring Lexus to India', an idea his predecessors had been toying with for years.
Old 11th June 2014, 17:52   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Naomi Ishii, MD of Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM), the Indian subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corporation, said, "We see a lot of opportunity in India now. Given that the three German brands are doing well, I feel we need Lexus here."
Has Mr Naomi looked at the products available in Toyota Range which can be introduced in Indian markets first ? or tried to understand why are they lagging in sales before introducing a new Brand .

Wonder how will the price GX460 if they can list a 4 Cylinder LC Prado @ Rs 85 Lac ( 1.40,000 US$ )
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 19:15   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Toyota is still 'considering' launching the Lexus brand in India to rival the German trio!...
To be very honest, if they do NOT want to bring in any diesel options, they might as well scrap the plan. The Germans, though, NOT-so-reliable, have made quite an impression in the market and struck an aspirational value with the Indian customers. Those also have quite good performing diesels in their line up. So I am NOT sure how Lexus will survive on "reliability" USP alone.

Otherwise, could anyone share the feedback on the quality of interiors w.r.t the Germans? I do NOT find the designs that great though, comparatively.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 20:08   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Toyota is still 'considering' launching the Lexus brand in India to rival the German trio!
In my view, they missed out on an opportunity - they are too late in the market now. Unless they become price leaders, I don't think they have a way to work into the market now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Has Mr Naomi looked at the products available in Toyota Range which can be introduced in Indian markets first ? or tried to understand why are they lagging in sales before introducing a new Brand .

Wonder how will the price GX460 if they can list a 4 Cylinder LC Prado @ Rs 85 Lac ( 1.40,000 US$ )
They will have to do CKD to be price competitive. Lexus doesn't really have a knockout product for India right now, at least not without a diesel. The IS is too small, the GS is too expensive. Perhaps the only car that can do something for them is the LS - against the A8/7/S.

Amongst SUVs, the RX can be a good product for them - against the Q5, X3 etc if priced right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To be very honest, if they do NOT want to bring in any diesel options, they might as well scrap the plan. The Germans, though, NOT-so-reliable, have made quite an impression in the market and struck an aspirational value with the Indian customers. Those also have quite good performing diesels in their line up. So I am NOT sure how Lexus will survive on "reliability" USP alone.

Otherwise, could anyone share the feedback on the quality of interiors w.r.t the Germans? I do NOT find the designs that great though, comparatively.
The interiors are fairly decent on Lexus - pretty well put together and luxurious. Maybe not as gimmicky as the Germans, but still good. I agree with you, they need diesel - hybrids may not cut it in India, or maybe they will - I won't be certain.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 21:25   #71
BHPian

There's a very insightful article about Japanese luxury brands vs their German counterparts. It might need a subscription but am posting a link nevertheless. It says that Japanese luxury brands are losing a lot of traction in their dominant American market too. But it has some other insightful things to say too. But after reading the article one can easily assume that Lexus isn't coming to India anytime soon for sure.

Article link : http://www.economist.com/news/busine...iant-carmakers
Old 11th June 2014, 21:36   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
There's a very insightful article about Japanese luxury brands vs their German counterparts. It might need a subscription but am posting a link nevertheless. It says that Japanese luxury brands are losing a lot of traction in their dominant American market too. But it has some other insightful things to say too. But after reading the article one can easily assume that Lexus isn't coming to India anytime soon for sure.

I listened to the podcast on this. The main growth area is China. They like prestige brands with some heritage. Jaguar is doing extremely well as also the Germans. Lexus is barely are just over 20 years old. Add to that various geo-political bias against the Japanese in China
Old 11th June 2014, 22:03   #73
Team-BHP Support

Don't think it will happen in India. Just a look at the Lexus line up shows that they don't have a model that Indian buyers will take a liking to.

The IS is too small, when compared to the 3 and C.

The ES looks good but then with the Camry priced at 30lakhs, the ES will be twice that.

They have the RX softroader but the Prado is already 75 lakhs. So where will this be priced at?
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 01:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Lexus if you are reading this , please come to India ASAP!. We love your car's and as our country is going to be the next economic super power you do not want to miss out on the huge potential that lies ahead.

We are tired of the German Trio here , who have a poor reliability record , push on to us the useless run flat tires and sometimes take us for a ride by not honoring warranty claims.

Also please make sure you choose a good dealer to represent your brand in India unlike in some countries like Kuwait where the dealership experience is horrendous. Here is my ownership review of my Lexus IS 300 to see what I mean, http://www.wheelnmotor.com/2010-lexu...ership-review/

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post

I think the issue with Lexus now is the design of their car's which is not that good compared to the German Trio. Their last gen car's were excellent to look at ,the new one's not so except for the LS and RX.

Lack of powerful diesel engine option is another big setback for them. But really when it comes to Lexus or the Germans, I'm sure Indians will go for Lexus for it's cheap maintenance and good reliability.

Last edited by Stratos : 12th June 2014 at 12:34.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 06:15   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Lexus : The Indian Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I think the issue with Lexus now is the design of their car's which is not that good compared to the German Trio.

Lack of powerful diesel engine option is another big setback for them. But really when it comes to Lexus or the Germans, I'm sure Indians will go for Lexus for it's cheap maintenance and good reliability.

I agree that the design element will be an issue and perceived reliability will help. But I am not sure the absence of a diesel will hurt as much. There are plenty of people in cities like Bombay who run their Merc or BMWs for less than 6000-7000 km per year. Most of them pick up diesels because the resale value and availability of the petrol sucks, not because of the minor operating cost savings. A competitively priced and nice to drive Lexus hybrid could probably crack the code. I have never been in an IS - so am not sure how cramped it is. But the other issue is that they don't even have a hybrid IS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks