Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 09:45   #211
BHPian

re: Find car owner using the registration number - Instantly via SMS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Is this SMS thing still working as I typed vahan HR26AX**** but I am not receiving any message.
Is there any link to track Haryana registered vehicles as google search didn't give any results.
For HR numbered vehicles, following link works, tested it again, showed both of my cars -

https://haryanatransport.gov.in/SRRe...jsp/Search.jsp
ptaneja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 10:03   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
For HR numbered vehicles, following link works, tested it again, showed both of my cars -

https://haryanatransport.gov.in/SRRe...jsp/Search.jsp
Thank you so much for pointing it out. It works
Old 18th February 2016, 15:39   #213
Senior - BHPian

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (who prefers to remain anonymous) for sharing this information!

The government's sms service by Vahan was discontinued, but is now active once again. Details such as the vehicle owner's name, the car's model, fuel type, category (e.g. LMV), RC expiry date and motor vehicle tax validity will be received via sms in around 1 minute. The service may not be active for all RTOs and certain vehicle registration numbers may not be in the database.

To use the service, all you have to do is sms VAHAN <space> the vehicle's registration number (upper case letters with no spaces), and send it to 7738299899.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Last edited by Tushar : 18th February 2016 at 15:44.
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 16:03   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (who prefers to remain anonymous) for sharing this information!

The government's sms service by Vahan was discontinued, but is now active once again. Details such as the vehicle owner's name, the car's model, fuel type, category (e.g. LMV), RC expiry date and motor vehicle tax validity will be received via sms in around 1 minute. The service may not be active for all RTOs and certain vehicle registration numbers may not be in the database.

To use the service, all you have to do is sms VAHAN <space> the vehicle's registration number (upper case letters with no spaces), and send it to 7738299899.

Link to Team-BHP news article
I tried this today and it works.

I think the querying mechanism should have safeguards to ensure that individual privacy is upheld. Like everything else related to government in the country, there just isnt proper thought behind the policy.

Right now anyone can get the name of the owner of any vehicle on the road by a simple SMS. Whether the person enquiring is stalking someone in a car for any reason, they can get the owners name. Getting the address is just a short hop from there leading to disastrous consequences for someone a target of criminals.

There should be a two stage authentication to ensure that person querying is in possession of the vehicle - if the primary motive is to find out if registration etc details are real or fake. Before providing details, the chassis or engine numbers or maybe both should also be input to validate that the person making the query has physical possession of the vehicle.

Just a thought since no one working in our bureaucracy and government ever has a though for the privacy of their employers - the citizen of this great nation.

Asifgrkhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 16:34   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
I tried -------SNIP---------nation.

Yep.
What is the purpose of this service, if I may ask?
God knows you can find out a LOT of details today just by knowing the name of a person. What use will this information be of to a tom,dick or harry, apart from ulterior purposes?
The people that would need such details and more besides(police, insurers etc) have their own avenues.
Old 18th February 2016, 17:08   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yep.
What is the purpose of this service, if I may ask?
God knows you can find out a LOT of details today just by knowing the name of a person. What use will this information be of to a tom,dick or harry, apart from ulterior purposes?
The people that would need such details and more besides(police, insurers etc) have their own avenues.
I think it would be helpful in case of scenarios of buying a second hand vehicle just to validate the ownership details. I did this when buying my car. Probably there might be other reasons as well but I am not sure.

There is another option to check the registration details of the car at least in Karnataka.
URL : http://164.100.80.164/vehiclesearch/.

The site is maintained by the Karnataka RTO itself.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:56   #217
BHPian

Any specific site related to Kolkata?
Old 18th February 2016, 18:01   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Any specific site related to Kolkata?
Not sure but here is one link which may or not may be useful.

http://www.vehicleinfo.in/WB-02
Old 18th February 2016, 18:05   #219
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2016 at 10:01.
StallionAmit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th February 2016, 18:18   #220
BHPian

I tried twice today with two different registration numbers of two different states but it failed both the times. Only few states might have provided details to this database.
Old 18th February 2016, 18:21   #221
BHPian

Thanks for the info @Tushar and the anonymous fan

One question about the syntax. In the response it says "Owner: <number>-<Name>"

What is this <number> supposed to signify please? Mine says 4. Does it stand for 4 wheeler or 4th owner?

I know it was a used car purchase and I was told (and papers given to the effect of) the second owner. If it means number of owners, then I have been duped badly :(
Old 18th February 2016, 18:31   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Thanks for the info @Tushar and the anonymous fan

One question about the syntax. In the response it says "Owner: <number>-<Name>"

What is this <number> supposed to signify please? Mine says 4. Does it stand for 4 wheeler or 4th owner?

I know it was a used car purchase and I was told (and papers given to the effect of) the second owner. If it means number of owners, then I have been duped badly :(
I got response in the following format

WBXXXXXXX [RTO NAME, WB]
owner: 1 - my name
vehicle: i10 ASTA SUNROOF (M) (PETROL) L.M.V (CAR)
RC/FC Expiry: dd-mmm-yy
MV tax upto: (onetime)

So yes, that number seems to be the number of owners. Mine was a new car when I bought it so I am the first owner.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 19:20   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I think it would be helpful in case of scenarios of buying a second hand vehicle just to validate the ownership details. I did this when buying my car. Probably there might be other reasons as well but I am not sure.

There is another option to check the registration details of the car at least in Karnataka.
URL : http://164.100.80.164/vehiclesearch/.

The site is maintained by the Karnataka RTO itself.
This link works. We sold our 2010 Mahindra Flyte a little more than a year back, and the vehicle search using registration number shows the new owner's name and the new RTO correctly.
Old 18th February 2016, 19:33   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
This link works. We sold our 2010 Mahindra Flyte a little more than a year back, and the vehicle search using registration number shows the new owner's name and the new RTO correctly.
Yes. I have been using this from quite sometime but had forgotten to update it here. Saw the thread about vehicle registration number through SMS and remembered today.
Old 18th February 2016, 20:01   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
One question about the syntax. In the response it says "Owner: -"

What is this supposed to signify please? Mine says 4. Does it stand for 4 wheeler or 4th owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I got response in the following format

WBXXXXXXX [RTO NAME, WB]
owner: 1 - my name
vehicle: i10 ASTA SUNROOF (M) (PETROL) L.M.V (CAR)
RC/FC Expiry: dd-mmm-yy
MV tax upto: (onetime)

So yes, that number seems to be the number of owners. Mine was a new car when I bought it so I am the first owner.
Yes, the number beside the Owner is indeed the count of ownership. Have checked with multiple vehicles. The records of my 2 previous vehicles now show the Owner as 2 with the new owner's name.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 18th February 2016 at 20:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks