Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2006, 08:57   #1
LLL
BHPian

Chevy Aveo: Worst TV adv

Is it only me or do you guys also think that Aveo adv is absolutely pathetic?

1. No closeups of car exterior
2. No good peek at console
3. no display of interior space or rear legroom
4. no display of boot space
5. no display of front/rear of the car
6. no mention of features like ABS
7. no mention of performance/FE stats

Rani and Saif only talk about their performance in shoot and there is some strange background music which apologetically repeats "mindblowing mind fodu..." or something of that sort
Old 27th March 2006, 09:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yeah..!!! They(Saif n Rani) call it the ultimate performance machine but i doubt if its really got the best performance in its class ....To me its car with good luxury n comfort for indian roads..........
Old 27th March 2006, 09:57   #3
BHPian

Thats true - all the focus is on the star and not on the car ... everyone seems to be taking a cue from the SRK santro ad ...

The same is the case with the fiesta ad too - the ad with AB jr. just keeps on talking about "fida" with very less mention as to what exactly he is "fida" over ....
Old 27th March 2006, 10:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

If it sells, it sells. No point in us complaining. Sadly.
Old 27th March 2006, 10:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

I agree, I wonder how do such ad agencies stay in business!
Old 27th March 2006, 10:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

Ok, so I'm not the only one who was left wondering what the ad agency was smoking when they came up with that concept! It appears someone had their 2 year old son plan out the entire script for that ad!

Does anyone know which agency is behind it?
Old 27th March 2006, 11:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Thats true - all the focus is on the star and not on the car ... everyone seems to be taking a cue from the SRK santro ad ...

The same is the case with the fiesta ad too - the ad with AB jr. just keeps on talking about "fida" with very less mention as to what exactly he is "fida" over ....
Goldie, that Fida adv still has some sense in it... It tries to capture the car in all its glory with those strategical light arrangments, show the console etc... and then finally the car zooms away to the sunset (or was it sun rise!?).

But this Aveo adv is absolute crap. The very basics of marketing is missing. If I ask a guy who has seen that adv even 5 times no one will be able to tell one striking feature of the car... or for that matter won't even be able to tell how the car looks. All one can remember is a black background (I think) and either Saif or Rani blabbering some inane mouthful (don't know what!).
Old 27th March 2006, 11:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Does anyone know which agency is behind it?
It's McCann-Erickson.

Ye, the ad was a BIG letdown after the pretty good optra ads. In this ad the celebs are pretty much over shadowing the car.

Well, so it is with the fiesta ad by JWT too, too much of Abhishek Jr. struting his stuff!

SIGH!!!!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:45   #9
BANNED

Horrid, horrid ad. Horrible jingle, trying too hard to be cool and create catchphrases (fantastic, mindblowing, todu/fodu whatever). It just sucked bigtime.

Didn't even get to see much of the car. Just one very stereotyped Sardar salesman and two jackasses. GM should stop trying to ape the Fiesta Fida ad. That one was bad enough. This one's even worse.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Worst Car add!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL
Is it only me or do you guys also think that Aveo adv is absolutely pathetic?

1. No closeups of car exterior
2. No good peek at console
3. no display of interior space or rear legroom
4. no display of boot space
5. no display of front/rear of the car
6. no mention of features like ABS
7. no mention of performance/FE stats

Rani and Saif only talk about their performance in shoot and there is some strange background music which apologetically repeats "mindblowing mind fodu..." or something of that sort
While the add is the worst one in recent times, some answers to yr questions.

There is close up of Rani and Saiif, got a good peek of them, good display of exterior and (was there legs... LOL), ....

The actual features / benefits of the product was not powerfully communicated. Even if you want to catagorize it as life style add, it lacks punch. Alll round this one takes the cake for the worst car add..

==Ramky
====================
Old 27th March 2006, 12:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Goldie, that Fida adv still has some sense in it... It tries to capture the car in all its glory with those strategical light arrangments, show the console etc... and then finally the car zooms away to the sunset (or was it sun rise!?).
Frankly, the car is no great shakes in either exterior looks or in interior design. So, no point in trying to highlight what isnt good.
and ... - one can even zoom away with an 800 into the horizon !!

I would have liked a lot more if they had flashed "101 bhp power" "14.6 kgm torque" "14 kmpl FE" or shown off some of its driving dynamics or the growl of the engine.

See the latest honda civic ad - now that makes a lot of sense - the feel of the car expressed through various sounds .... or the accord ad - showing just how precise and picky they are about quality ....

or even the pathetic, rarely sighted excuse they had for the NHC VTEC ad - at least they showed that you could zoom away like a mini sports car when u want to and be refined when required ...
Old 27th March 2006, 14:52   #12
BHPian

On a hard-core branding perspective, Aveo is not a name that would have many followers. In comparison "Ford Fiesta" is more cohesive and pleasing to hear.

Anyway, if the car is not good, even Shahrukh Khan can't save it
Old 27th March 2006, 15:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

sadly, the acting skills of both saif and rani are far less than satisfactory in the aveo ad....the damn sardar acts better than them both; the only refreshing aspect would have been the car itself, had they shot properly....

the only meaningless ad of recent times that falls easy on the eyes and ears, is from tata....wanna guess which? hint: involves a certain "controversial" bandana....
Old 27th March 2006, 16:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

lemme be the devil's advocate here. The main purpose of an ad (specially of technologically complex items like a car) is to let the consumer know that the product exists. Hence the use of movie stars etc coz those are faces that the public is familiar with. I dont think they are trying to make the sale in a 10 second tv ad! All they are trying to do is make sure that the consumer knows that she has that choice too when she is in the market when the time comes to buy a car. Thats where the associative memory feature gets activated.
Just my two bits...
Old 27th March 2006, 16:31   #15
BHPian

To Amitoj: The main purposes an adertisement serves is not only to educate the Target Audience (TA) of the existence of the vehicle, but also to promote its USP (Unique Selling Proposition/s) that sets it apart from the competition.

The only purpose the Aveo ad serves is to educate the TA about its launch or existence and to make people remember the name (with the help of its brand ambassadors). This you are absolutly right about.
But what is the use of reinforcing a name ( both chervolet and aveo) when there is no proper visual of the car to go along with it, to stimulate their senses and heighten their anticipation?
Think about it.

Godspeed.

Alok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks