Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:04   #16
BHPian

Re: February 2012 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Lack of sales for City and Jazz was just due to lack of supplies for the models. Fiesta New model shows dismal sales, overpriced but a good car.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO!

Eon is climbing, slowly but surely. Crossed the 10K mark, and it wil soon be where Hyundai wants it to be.

77 Fiestas. This is beyond embarassing for Ford And to think the old model still sells 1000s shows what kind of sucky deal customers think the new one is.

Vento is beaten by Rapid. Same car, cheaper to own, and a little more involving to drive. VW must be thinking they ahve a bigger brand name since they own Skoda, but junta doesnt care, it seems. Both beaten by Nissan Sunny.

Give it up Renault, no point in trying to convince people to buy a meek 1.5 engine car where others are playing with a 2L one. At least make an attempt to fight.

Worst looks over for Honda. Hope the run continues.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:35   #18
BHPian

Re: February 2012 : Indian Car Sales

Looks like a good month for all car makers! I think sales of diesel cars are at their peak considering the budget is around the corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

It appears that the typical Indian family doesn’t want anything more than diesel economy, space & reliability. Consider the Sunny : With Nissan’s smaller dealer network & limited brand recognition, the Sunny does 3,000 odd cars for the second month in a row! BTW, 1 car of the 3,130 tally is mine . Yep, we just booked the Sunny Diesel as I think it’s the perfect chauffeur-driven family car. The Micra has a superb month as well, crossing over the 2K mark for the first time in nearly a year. But the reason for the Sunny outselling the Micra is this : COMPETITION. Where the Micra has to contend with a whole host of hatchbacks, the Sunny has relatively limited competition and a lot more USP to offer.
Congratulations on getting the Sunny! Great car.

Out of curiosity - What other cars did you consider and why did you choose the Sunny? I think I can expect an ownership review soon!

Last edited by designersf : 2nd March 2012 at 08:37.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:29   #19
BHPian

Being a Punto owner, it's worrisome to note Fiat's sales figures - not too long before Fiat decides to pack its bags. I strongly believe, the Punto and Linea never really received facelifts, just minor upgrades, explaining the reasons behind the poor figures. Awesome performance by all other big guns.

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 2nd March 2012 at 09:38.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:41   #20
BHPian

Ford had better done some pricing jugaad and push dealers to sell "some" new fiestas. The old fiesta is being gobbled up by the taxi market and will continue to do so, as it seems a little more upmarket than a Logan diesel. The day Hyundai plonks in the 1.4 Crdi into the accent, ford can pretty much sit back and watch it's sales dwindle.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:53   #21
BHPian

Re: February 2012 : Indian Car Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It appears that the typical Indian family doesn’t want anything more than diesel economy, space & reliability. Consider the Sunny : With Nissan’s smaller dealer network & limited brand recognition, the Sunny does 3,000 odd cars for the second month in a row! BTW, 1 car of the 3,130 tally is mine . Yep, we just booked the Sunny Diesel as I think it’s the perfect chauffeur-driven family car.
Congrats on booking the Sunny! I am curious if the Skoda Rapid figured in your buying shortlist and why it was discounted. Was it because of Skoda A.S.S?
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Very nice report and presentation, Thanks for sharing!

I am very happy to see City again at the number one spot - 6000+ for a petrol only car speaks a lot! Honda bring in a diesel mill for City and I am sure the sales figure will easily cross 10,000+. I expect Honda to sustain this performance. But I see no improvement in Jazz's sales even after price correction but the same has done wonders for City. May be because of the City's brand value.

Very disappointing numbers for new Fiesta, just 77 units in one month. Ford has killed such a good looking car with their poor pricing strategy. Ford, please learn something from Honda.

SX4 figures are best in feb but it needs a complete makeover very soon. New Dzire is a hit IMO - almost double growth as compared to previous month. One question though - Why Maruti is selling Estilo, Grand Vitara, A-star at all? No improvement in their sales chart.

Vento's sales figure has stabilized around 2000 units which is quite low IMO provided it comes with diesel (A rapid Rapid's effect).

Anyhow all the best to manufacturers for next month!

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd March 2012 at 09:59.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:11   #23
BHPian

As usual, Great Analysis once again from GTO.

The Hide and seek of Tata for 2nd position in sales, is continuing. Back to No.3 again.
Hoping to see an Indian OEM atleast in the Second position, if not first, in the near Future.
Good to see City slowly catching up. Also, Nano warming up to fire the sales charts with its full cylinders. Long way ahead to go!
Dzire is breaking its own records and slowly becoming a very tough benchmark in nos. Similar case of Swift.
Really a long way to catch them.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:18   #24
BHPian

Happy motoring with your new Sunny. Congratulations GTO.

Few good cars like Spark, Jazz, Brio and Micra are underperforming compared to potential. Skoda Rapid is an interesting new comer that is steadily on the rise. Honda City figures are awesome considering the price of this Petrol-only sedan.

Ford could possibly bring back Ford Fusion that did not do well earlier possibly because it was ahead of its time. Now Ford Fusion could be very appealing to potential buyers of Jazz, if priced right. Now with the shipments of Jazz badly affected, it could be a boon for Fusion. Is Ford India already considering this option?
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:18   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats GTO on the caaar. Nissan has done the right thing with the Sunny. Great car, shouts practicality from all angles, extremely VFM pricing and a diesel heart.

Whatever happened to the Ford Endeavour? Just 30 units shipped? I think its really feeling the heat from both the XUV and the Fortuner.

The Passat finally looks to stabilising at 100-120 units. Slightly less then the Superb but still respectable. Somehow I am still unable to spot the car on the road.

Lastly I am unable to logically understand Dzire's numbers. The car is average at most things and outright atrocious in terms of looks and rear bench space. Still manages to sell 15k units easily month after month is commendable.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd March 2012 at 10:21.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:30   #26
BHPian

GTO & Jalsa - thanks for the wonderful Analysis and reports. A good month for Marutis. Honda City is back with a bang !!
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

The number of City deliveries may be more due to dealer shipments of the new models, however the Sunny is the true star, space, economy and a lower price than most of the competition, Nissan is on the way to the top. Expanding the dealer network will surely double that number.

Rapid looks a lot like the Laura, which has the expensive car image that sedan buyers look for. Vento seems to have run out of its initial brand appeal, besides the car's price has been raised so many times without VW giving any thought to adding a mid variant. Fiat should discontinue the Linea or give it a larger engine, its getting to be rarer than the German trio's cars.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:53   #28
BHPian

Thanks GTO & Jalsa,

This looks like a good month for most of the manufactures. Aria and new Fiesta paying heavily for pricing the product high. The two cars will always seem more expensive even after correction and mostly they have missed the bus!

Skoda might well end up killing VW. They have brilliant products but combined due to lack of customer service their products have limited success. A bad word spreads a lot faster than a full page add in a leading news paper.

Honda will recover once supply of Brio and Jazz becomes normal, I feel Jazz is one of the best hatches with the new price in market.

Mahindra did what Ford and Tata didn't i.e. a correctly priced product. Mahindra now has success and brand recognition which might in turn help sales of xylo.

Renault looks like the new kid in school trying to prove himself and trying to hard.

Chevy is ok IMO. HM killed itself and market killed Fiat!

Thanks again! GTO congrats on the Sunny one of the better diesel sedan with lots of space and correct pricing.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2012 at 20:35. Reason: Correcting minor typo
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:58   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The camry is coming with the CKD. But one thing that concerns me, its just the assembly of the car. Even the Painted parts are coming painted, no paint booth operation for the assembly here.

Toyota is targeting around 4 cars per shift so it should not be a head ache with the production targets of 200 cars a month.

Another dismal month for Fiat, when the all the manufacturers are producing more and more to build up stock for March, Fiat goes the other way round. Damn get more models in, else even the current numbers are bound to diminish.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:01   #30
BHPian

Thanks GTO and the team for the wonderful analysis as usual.
Very happy to see the numbers for Nano. Slowly but surely they are growing big.
@GTO congrats on the Sunny diesel. Eagerly waiting for your review.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed