Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 19:42   #106
BHPian

Re: February 2012 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are you sure the new cruze will come with better rear seats? I remember reading that the changes were only in the engine and other minor cosmetic changes and it still had the same interior space.
I think what GM is doing is to create more head room(feedback from customers about lack of head room) at the back by redesigning the sun-roof. They might change the back seat recline angle a bit and maybe have scoops in the front seat to liberate a bit more leg room.
Old 11th March 2012, 08:44   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are you sure the new cruze will come with better rear seats? I remember reading that the changes were only in the engine and other minor cosmetic changes and it still had the same interior space.
I spoke to someone in the company and they said the new Cruze will be out by June, but it will only have a new grill and LED (tail?)lights. The engine will be essentially the same. So it'll be the version they put on display at the Indian auto expo.
Old 11th March 2012, 12:43   #108
BHPian

Are you sure M&M developed the engine on their own? , If any one knows how M&M developed their new engine range would be an interesting reading.
I heard common rail , which is one of the major part of engine is developed and supplied by Bosch to both M&M and TATA. Apart from this part their are still many other major parts involved in Engine , if anyone gives more insights will be a really nice reading.
Old 11th March 2012, 20:24   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Issue has been sorted for the few of you who were facing a problem . Please drop me a PM and confirm that you can view the charts now.

Thanks for the heads up.
Hi GTO,

Firstly many thanks for providing the car sales numbers, which makes it another reason to be hooked to this forum. This numbers thread, provide so much of Industry depth.

Just a request or suggestion is there any chance of posting the car sales numbers City wise?

Thanks

Amit
Old 11th March 2012, 20:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

Nice work with the new formats guys.

I'm wondering how many Chevy Beat petrols are in the figure of 4675. I am guessing there are not much takers for the petrol Beat.

Me, being not too satisfied with my petrol Beat personally, was thinking of selling it off when it is still close to new. Financial constraints add to the cause. Has given two newspaper ads but only a couple (yes a couple, i.e. two) of people in total inquired genuinely! I am wondering of how low a price I could sell it off now. Maybe I'll ask this in the used car section.
Old 11th March 2012, 20:45   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh
I heard common rail , which is one of the major part of engine is developed and supplied by Bosch to both M&M and TATA.
BOSCH has been at the forefront of automobile innovation.

For some reason Tata and Mico (now Bosch) could never get a good partnership going, and Tata favoured buying from suppliers like Delphi, Lucas TVS, instead (dicor is delphi's common rail brand name).

Even now Tata does not buy from Bosch for their in-house engines (dicor), but for Fiat engines they source systems from Bosch.

Apart from CRDI, bosch makes ABS + EBD, ESP,
etc, several of which are their innovations.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 22:24   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Just a request or suggestion is there any chance of posting the car sales numbers City wise?
Actually these numbers are, manufactures invoiced figures to their dealers. Its almost impossible to get retail numbers of individual manufactures ie the actual cars sold by dealers.
Though to an extent this will be shared with in manufactures, its not available for public.
So to my knowledge city wise sales data will not be available.
And even if you get there will be huge difference between these two figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Essentially means Maruti can not make more than 100000 diesel cars per year. Rest are petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
IMO, that's not correct. Maruti surely makes more than 100,000 diesel cars a year..
Maruti makes these engines from its own plant - Suzuki Powertrain India makes it for MSL.
Apart from this it also buys engines directly from Fiat as the demand is not met completely inhouse.

I my view 60 to 70% of Swift/Dzire/Ritz are Diesels and this comes close to 300000 diesels.
So the number of 70000 to 100000 must be for TM and Fiat alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I'd say it's in the ballpark of 3,000 crore? True or false? Either ways, Tata has also learned a lot about new technology with the Aria. And that will inevitably filter down to its mass market cars.
Are you sure of this figure, GTO?
3000 crs for a new platform is very high and its far above reality.
That too with the frugal engineering of Tata, I am very doubtful about this.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 11th March 2012 at 22:38.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:01   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
Are you sure M&M developed the engine on their own? , If any one knows how M&M developed their new engine range would be an interesting reading.
The engine on the Tata Aria and Mahindra XUV 5OO were developed by AVL, Austria. The engines are identical in design. You can see this in their cubic capacity, power output and torque figures. I got this from Top Gear.
Old 13th March 2012, 13:59   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

Eon is climbing, slowly but surely. Crossed the 10K mark, and it wil soon be where Hyundai wants it to be.
I doubt if Hyundai will be happy with Eon. The Year-on-year comparison of Jan numbers had shown clearly that the Eon numbers are nearly matched by a corresponding drop in i10 sales. Things look only a little better in Feb. Even now, i10 drop in numbers exceeds half the Eon sales for the month.

That's also the reason why Hyundai YoY volume increase is subdued. It should have been far higher if Eon sales had not cannibalised so much of i10 numbers.

At a lower average price point, this will help Hyundai only if Eon per-unit profits are far better than i10. Possible, but unlikely.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 14:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

BMW India sales are +18.7% at 736 deliveries. Feb 2011 was 620.

Audi India sales are + 33% at 600 Units. Feb 2011 was 450.

BMW will have a huge boost once F30 comes out, Audi too will have an advantage with the Q3 and Facelifted A4. Mercedes will have better volume models only from 2013,

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 17:43   #116
BHPian

I always used to send a summary to my closed group of friends on the Indian Car scene based on the report by GTO. Sharing it this time on TBHP.

A SEGMENT
  • Nothing to compete with Alto still in the A segment - over 32,000 cars sold last month! Nothing is a competition for this bread winner!
  • Hyundai sells over 10,000 Eons. Steadily catching up, that car. An increase of about 3000 cars compared to all previous months!
B SEGMENT
  • With over 20,000 cars sold, Maruti is a winner in the B segment with its best selling Swift. People seem to have liked the new looks of the Swift!
  • No competition for the second prize as well - 13,000 WagonRs came out last month!
  • Closely followed by the trusted duo of Indica+Vista from TATA at 10424.
  • Hyundai sells over 10,000 i10s,
  • Figo is selling well with over 6000 cars sold. With the launch of new Fiesta, more Ford lovers could be eyeing the Figo. New Fiesta had made no ripples.
  • Honda, in the B segment with the Brio and Jazz (with the price reduced) placed in the B segment together sells just over 2000 cars last month. Remember, this includes a some backlog; so nothing to cheer about. They need to get things back on track, soon.
  • Chevrolet's only trump card in the last few months is the Beat - over 4600 Beats were out last month.
  • Polo and Liva sell just over 3000.
  • Nissan Sunny has really picked up in the last 2 months. It sold over 3000 cars last month. Hope Nissan works on a better service network if it has to keep up or better these figures.
  • Fabia's popularity is steadily declining - or Skoda's? Just manages to sells over 900 cars. Hasn't being doing anything over 1400, ever! This is a decline, still.
  • Hyundai's i20 has been declining in sales for the last few months. Coming down from 7000-6000-5000 and now at over 4000. Time for an upgrade, Hyundai. And its almost here!
  • Strangely, Santro still manages to sell around 6000 cars - this wonder car has always been and still is a lottery for the Korean, in India!
  • Hyundai is strong in the B segment - Santro, i10, i20. Brothers together and its strength - over 20,000 cars came out last month.
  • Forget the first sentence now about Maruti being a winner with the Swift. Its towering presence in this segment is arguably unbeatable - A-Star, Estilo, WagonR, Ritz and Swift - together they make a fortune - over 40,000 B-segment cars came out last month from Maruti's stable! The ageing WagonR alone sold about 13,000 cars last month. Still the company an average Indian loves.
C SEGMENT
  • Maruti a winner again with over 13,000 DZires getting out last month. The new cut down version (read boot) doesn't dent the sales figures for this winner. The sales figures would remain healthy as long as Maruti offers the older version alongside the new.
  • Indigo+Manza sell about 9000 cars. The affordability factor tops the list for those who look for space and steel - others pay for the engine, build & the electronics!
  • Rapid and Vento sell modestly - just over 2000 cars.
  • Verna has been steady - no more than 4500, no less!
  • Now there is someone whom I purposefully left out in the list of Tops - the Honda City sells over 6000 cars. For the first time after many months, the sales clocks over 4000. Test continues and the real figures will be seen only after couple of months more when the Jap clears all the backlog. Beating Verna will be tough - the CRDi takes them miles ahead in competition.
  • New Fiesta disappoints.
  • In the C2 segment, however, the sales arent as voluminous as the entry C1. The difference between the best seller and others is just 2000. A good space to watch in the coming months. This is a segment most observed by the enthusiasts!
D SEGMENT
  • I wonder how Corolla sells like this in the D segment - its clearly the winner! Over 900 cars sold last month. The average sales has been over 700 always! Performance isn't all that matters - goes on prove how India loves the comfort of the rear seats.
  • Cruze, takes the next place with over 500 cars sold last month. The only reason for Chevrolet to smile in India! The journey has been cruising so far - averaging around 600 cars every month!
  • Jetta outsells the Laura - happens rarely. Not much, 400-370 - 30 cars. But response to the new Jetta has been satisfactory for VW ever since the launch. Remember, with the Jetta and Laura, they are always the market winners! Why shouldn't they laugh?
  • Civic sells over 200 - the sales of this low slung beauty (debatable, always!) has been consistent even in tough times. What if it had a good diesel mill? Why can't you give India a diesel engine, Honda?
  • In the luxury D, it has always been and still is the Superb with its consistent performance. Over 200 cars sold every month isn't a joke. Passat sells over 150 cars and none other to even mention.
SUV
  • India has more SUVs than the D segment sedans today! And its going to get into the C segment with the Mini-SUVs being launched. The monsters and their kids will rule the roads, wouldn't they?
  • Scorpio the clear winner for being the common man's favorite for an affordable SUV - sells about 4000 in Feb!
  • XUV500 steadily making its way in - over 2000 cars sold every month! The winner for the entry level luxury SUV category is the XUV-five-oh-oh!
  • In the luxury segment, Fortuner wins with over 1300 cars sold last month! Way better sales than even D segment sedans put together! Awesome is the word - Over 950 cars on an average for the last 6 months!
  • Santa Fe is consistent with almost 150 cars sold in Feb! As a matter of fact, this unassuming hunk has had a consistent track record - almost 150 of them sold on an average for the last 6 months! But NOTHING compared in sales to a Fortuner which is all set to make a fortune for Toyota. One-tenth the sales of the segment leader! Technically, Santa Fe is a lot better - but Indians love Toyota in the upper segment categories, don't they?
MUV
  • Bolero the leader with over 8000 cars sold last month! Reasons, obvious!
  • Omni sells over 7500 - an obvious choice for all types of utility purposes.
  • Innova follows with over 6500 - this utility car has been selling for all kinds of reasons - over 5000 sold EVERY MONTH!
  • Xylo follows with over 2500 making Mahindra the leader in this class - over 11,000 MUVs sold every month.
Summary - No prizes for guessing - Maruti is still the biggest car maker with a market share of over 3.5 times compared to its closet (read, farthest) competitor, the Hyundai.
convivial is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 17:49   #117
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the falling numbers for the Fabia is due to fall in popularity of the car or Skoda, or is it simply due to Skoda giving more priority to the production of Rapid than Fabia? From what I remember, Fabia was selling 1000+ units every month before the introduction of the Rapid.
Old 13th March 2012, 19:28   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
Summary - No prizes for guessing - Maruti is still the biggest car maker with a market share of over 3.5 times compared to its closet (read, farthest) competitor, the Hyundai.
I always wonder about this.
what is brand Maruti for India?
It has so much pull, that none of the competitions are nearing it. Hyundai though is extremely good with all round ability has not inched forward(read at the context of nearing the MS of Maruti). Tata is always back and forth with Hyundai.
With introduction of Ertiga and small SUV, Maruti wants to retain its leadership and wants competition also to look for options rather than getting competition in the small car segment. Something great for a company which even had a very bad reputation of selling its erstwhile phased out products in past.
Old 13th March 2012, 23:03   #119
Senior - BHPian

IMO the success of Maruti, apart from the first-mover advantage, is that it has all bases covered in the lowest and mid-segment, which is where the volumes are. The Nano and Eon could have been a thorn here, but for the factors against them - image & price respectively.

Regarding selling old models alongside new, the competition seems to have caught on to the same strategy - eg. Fiesta Classic with new Fiesta and Accent alongside 2 generations of Verna.
Old 14th March 2012, 01:41   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
I always used to send a summary to my closed group of friends on the Indian Car scene based on the report by GTO. Sharing it this time on TBHP.

B SEGMENT
  • Nissan Sunny has really picked up in the last 2 months. It sold over 3000 cars last month. Hope Nissan works on a better service network if it has to keep up or better these figures.

Why is Sunny in B segment? It should be in C segment. And you have left out the Micra
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks