Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 19:52   #91
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Re: February 2012 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

Maruti: Dummy's Guide on how to sell cars in India.
Fiat/HM-Mitsubishi: Dummy's Guide on how NOT to sell cars in India.
Something that makes a fair bit of sense. Nice one!
Old 5th March 2012, 21:12   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas

It simply isn't fair. Manufacturers should and ought to provide petrol:diesel figures. When the government has plans to tax diesel cars, these manufacturers immediately cry hoarse that only x% of the cars use diesel. If these diesel figures can be made available to the government, if and when necessary, what stops these manufacturers from making them available to the public?

Besides, given the huge price difference between petrol and diesel, it is but desirable for manufacturers to inform public of the number of cars being sold using the subsidized fuel.

Hopefully, there will come a time when RTO records of new vehicles sold all over the country would be available on the internet. It would then be possible, though laborious, to compile the petrol:diesel list of cars on a monthly basis.

To add another one:

Maruti: Dummy's Guide on how to sell cars in India.
Fiat/HM-Mitsubishi: Dummy's Guide on how NOT to sell cars in India.
I was speaking to a friend in the industry and he says Fiat has upped the supply of diesel engines from 70000 to 100000 per year.

The 100000 engines must get into swift, ritz, dzire and SX4.
Old 5th March 2012, 22:04   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat

I was speaking to a friend in the industry and he says Fiat has upped the supply of diesel engines from 70000 to 100000 per year.

The 100000 engines must get into swift, ritz, dzire and SX4.
Essentially means Maruti can not make more than 100000 diesel cars per year. Rest are petrol.
Old 5th March 2012, 22:16   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat

Essentially means Maruti can not make more than 100000 diesel cars per year. Rest are petrol.
IMO, that's not correct. Maruti surely makes more than 100,000 diesel cars a year.

These 100,000 will find their way into Fiat, Tata and Maruti. But above this, Maruti manufactures 1.3 MJD on its own under direct license from Fiat. Please check out Feb. sales figure. They shipped approximately 20K Swifts and 15K Dzires, total of 35K. Even if 70% of 35K are Diesels, it's about 24.5 K per month for diesels only. Moreover, You have to add Ritz and SX4 diesels to the tally as well.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 5th March 2012 at 22:30.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:42   #95
BHPian

Is there a way to get separate sales figures for Alto 800 and Alto K10?
Old 8th March 2012, 07:42   #96
BHPian

Excellent report GTO and Team. I really begin to wonder if the financial and stock market whizkids depend on this forum to get market data regarding the auto industry !

Glad to see Maruti regaining lost opportunities.
Old 8th March 2012, 19:31   #97
BHPian

Yet another great report. Analysis is right up there in the top slot. Totally unbiased report and very informative.

Seems like some of the cars are being sold because they are lying in the yard and not being manufactured. (ex Aveo and U-VA)
Old 8th March 2012, 21:03   #98
BHPian

Honda City back with some respectable numbers finally

Even if we consider last 2 months then it comes to 3000 units per month and if we average last 3 months then 2000 units per month.

This being with only Petrol, if Only Vento and Verna posts their actual Petrol cars sold we know the real picture. Definitely they would not be posting these many number of petrol cars. They sell due to diesel period.

As far as petrol cars < 10L Honda city still Rules the roost.

Cheers
MKPI
Old 8th March 2012, 21:30   #99
BHPian

First things first: 5stars to the analysis and GTO.

Coming to sales, I think we need to arrange sales lessons for Fiat/Mitsubishi from MSL. I wonder if there is anything that can beat the rush of swifts and Dzires. And why not, Swift still (more after the New swift) is the best youthful car to have in the garage. The competition is either costlier or too boring. When will other manufacturers understand that a good youthful appeal is also part of VFM now a days. Same goes with Dzire. Across all ages, hardly anybody liked the boot job of the Dzire, but it still sold, the new one just sells more. Direct competitor TML with its Manza needs to get something still right (nobody knows what?). Infact TML, I think is saving grace by combining Vista/Indica numbers and Manza/Indigo numbers. Pan India presence of MSL is just amazing.

Among the other sales catching the eye is the Honda City. I mean who says petrol is costlier. Not for City buyers this month. I think across all competition, Honda cars are the most beautifully designed. After all Jazz was/is the most good looking Hatch till date in my opinion. Honda needs the Diesel, else we will really miss buying Honda marvels.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:54   #100
BHPian

Quick thing ?.

Does the proxmity of Manufacturing unit to the city/state - make any difference in sales growth/figures.

Do we be able to analyse the figures state-wise* ?. Just to see any impact !

Also, the pricing of cars - right now it differs only on the local tax perspective - the base price is expected to be common across regions -right/wrong ?.

Will the manufacturer factor-in the transportation i.e. frieght charges & do pricing from state to state (e.g. renault / ford coming from chennai is cheaper in TN than Delhi ?). Will this impact sales - good or bad ?!?

* - do we really get data in such detail ?
Old 9th March 2012, 14:10   #101
BHPian

Thanks GTO and team for great analysis.

Maruti suzuki continues to rule. Good steady growth seen Rapid and XUV.
Can the drop in Innova numbers in Feb be attributed to XUV ?

Honda's jump of 5000+ seems magical !
Old 9th March 2012, 14:38   #102
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the SUV segment graph, I wonder if Mahindra had launched a car or a rocket! Such is the performance and stellar rise in sales of the XUV 5oo!
Honda IMHO is the only manufacturer who can sell a 8-10L Sedan without a diesel and still conquer the market. Such is the brand power and the product in question - The City!
I wonder what has happened to the sales of the Cruze? suddenly down from the average 700-800 units to an average of 400-500 cars in the recent months!
Old 9th March 2012, 18:34   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand
I wonder what has happened to the sales of the Cruze? suddenly down from the average 700-800 units to an average of 400-500 cars in the recent months!
Probable Cruze buyers have been waiting for new Cruze 2012 which has been revealed in Geneva Motorshow recently. As you might be aware it comes with better rear seats and most important powerful Z series engine that pumps out 13 Bhp more than the current one making the output 163 Bhp.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:54   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Probable Cruze buyers have been waiting for new Cruze 2012 which has been revealed in Geneva Motorshow recently. As you might be aware it comes with better rear seats and most important powerful Z series engine that pumps out 13 Bhp more than the current one making the output 163 Bhp.
Are you sure the new cruze will come with better rear seats? I remember reading that the changes were only in the engine and other minor cosmetic changes and it still had the same interior space.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:34   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

Are you sure the new cruze will come with better rear seats? I remember reading that the changes were only in the engine and other minor cosmetic changes and it still had the same interior space.
Correct but the rear seats design to my knowledge has been changed to provide more leg room & headroom.

http://www.carsingh.com/car-news/che...-revealed-1455
Closed Thread

Most Viewed