Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:16   #1
BHPian

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range

This thread is the fifth in the FEATURES comparison series. Following are the four other threads in which I have compared hatchback in Base and Mid variants; Top-end variants of hatchbacks with entry/mid level variants of sedans.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...atchbacks.html (Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...khs-range.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...khs-range.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...75-6-65-d.html

The idea of this features comparison is to bring to light the features one gets in the low/mid/top variants of B/B+ segment hatchbacks in a certain price band. It is interesting to see that the B segment hatchbacks pack quite a punch in terms of features but at a similar price one can get a full-fledged bigger B+ segment hatchback albeit in its lower variant. The trade-off here is features, but what one gets in return is something one cannot add-on later i.e. space. The Figo, Punto, i20, Sail U-VA & Vista are ahead on the space factor as compared to the Beat, Brio, i10, Liva, Micra, Ritz and Swift and the Grand i10 falling somewhere in between.

Even though space is not quantifiable factor, but a car’s wheelbase (in mm) and boot space (in litres) give a fair idea about space on offer and these figures are also mentioned in the comparison. Some cars make better use of space like the Figo as compared to i20 & Punto which have 2500mm+ wheelbase, but aren’t as spacious as their long wheelbase suggests. The Brio and Liva make good use of space but that is at the expense of some low-rent methods such as thin seats that might fail basic safety parameters in the more developed countries.

I have broadly taken a price range (mentioned below) as the basis of the comparison. Even though prices do keep on changing, this is an exercise to apprise discerning consumers and fellow BHPians about the features available in variants of various models available in a price range. If I don’t take into account a price band then there is no end to the number of cars that can be considered in the comparison. Please note that all the prices have been taken from manufacturer’s website only and therefore we are not taking into account any prevailing discounts or offers.

Price range of the select hatchbacks & sedans in petrol & diesel variants respectively (prices ex-showroom Delhi as of Nov 2012):

1) Petrol: Between Rs. 4.75-5.25 lakhs (P)
2) Diesel: Between Rs. 5.75-6.25 lakhs (D)

Car Models whose Features are compared are as follows:
1) Chevrolet Beat (1.2 P / 1.0 D)
2) Honda Brio (1.2 P only)
3) Ford Figo (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
4) FIAT Grande Punto (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
5) Hyundai i10 kappa (1.2 P only)
6) Hyundai Grand i10 (1.2 P / 1.1 D)
7) Hyundai i20 (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
8) Toyota Etios Liva (1.2 P & 1.4 D)
9) Nissan Micra (1.2 P / 1.5 D)
10) VW Polo (1.2 P / 1.2 D)
11) Maruti Suzuki Ritz (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
12) Chevrolet Sail U-VA (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
13) Maruti Suzuki Swift (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
14) Tata Indica Vista (1.3 D90)

BHP and torque figures are mentioned to bring out the value for money factor – as quite a few cars have engines generating less than 75BHP in either Petrol or Diesel variant. I’ve taken boot space & wheelbase also into account in the comparison, as it is a quantifiable aspect (not so in the case of passenger space – leg/knee room) and an important consideration/feature for some while buying a car. Also, Euro NCAP rating is mentioned in order to give an idea of the safety rating of the car as judged by western standards. It is to be noted that the safety features with which the cars have been tested (Airbags, ABS with EBD, etc) are not necessarily available in the models compared over here. But the body structure (with its impact absorbing crumple zones) and the structural/torsional rigidity remains the same across variants, so the ratings are included to give a fair idea of the amount of safety afforded to the passengers of the car.

Please note that this comparison is based solely on the criteria decided by me and it is my personal choice – rest the excel sheet mentions all facts only.

I’ve also colour-coded Unique features (purple), some Delight(ful) features (yellow) that tend to enhance the ownership experience to a small but heart-warming extent. Some example of Delightful features are:
  • Automatic Climate Control (Beat)
  • Audio control on steering wheel (Brio, i10, Vista)
  • Driver & Passenger Airbags and ABS (Beat, Brio, Figo)
  • Programmable Follow-Me-Home headlights and Speed Buzzer (Punto)
  • Bluetooth enabled music system with USB & Aux-in (Figo, i10, Vista)
  • Cooled glovebox (i20 & Liva – 13 litres)
  • Steering wheel adjustable for Rake & Reach (i20-Magna & Polo)
  • 60:40 split-folding rear seats (Ritz, Sail U-VA & Vista) & storage tray under front passenger seat (Ritz & Vista)
  • Two 12V power outlets (Grand i10 & Vista)
Some examples of Unique features are:
  • Eco light (Brio)
  • Emergency braking flashers (Figo)
  • Rear seatback metal sheet to prevent luggage intrusion & fuel supply cut-off on crash (Punto)
  • Dedicated rear A/C vents, push button start & rear parking sensors (Grand i10)
  • Heated electrically adjustable ORVM (i10 & i20)
  • Doors unlock on impact (i20)
  • Luggage hook on B-pillar in addition to two hooks in the boot (Polo)
  • Spring loaded cup-holder cooled by AC vent (Swift)
  • Driver seat lumber adjust & lit ring around ignition hole (Vista)
I have also mentioned Glaring omissions (orange), which are features not present in one model but is there in all or most of the other models being compared * or a feature not available even on the top-end variant**, or is a sort of cost-cutting measure in a certain way***

*e.g. Tilt adjust steering (i10), Tachometer (Liva), Parcel tray (Brio, Polo, Ritz)

** e.g. No electrically adjustable ORVM & no keyless entry in top-end LT (O) variant of the Beat. Also there is no 60:40 split folding rear seats or rear power windows even in the top-end Titanium variant of the Figo.

*** e.g. The built-to-price Brio, as well as the i10 & Grand i10 do without adjustable headrest on front seats.

Following are some of the Features common across all the car variants considered in this comparison
  • Body-coloured bumpers
  • Day / Night IRVM
  • Internal bonnet release (lever on passenger side in Figo & Liva (One will need to stretch across or trouble their passenger to open the bonnet)
  • Internal fuel lid release
  • Front & rear seatbelts (lap belt for middle passenger)
  • Storage pocket in front doors
  • Child lock on rear doors
  • Headlight beam adjuster (required by the law)
  • High mounted stop lamp (required by the law)

Last edited by jessie007 : 9th September 2013 at 17:37.
jessie007 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:19   #2
BHPian

Re: FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in Rs4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs r

Click on an image to expand / zoom-in

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range-1.jpg

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range-2.jpg

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range-3.jpg

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range-4.jpg

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range-5.jpg

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range-6.jpg

Last edited by jessie007 : 9th September 2013 at 17:40.
jessie007 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:25   #3
BHPian

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in Rs4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs range

Points of note for each car compared

Chevrolet Beat

The Beat brings in a bit of fresh air in the dull low-end hatchback segment. The radical exterior and the snazzy superbike like instrument cluster are meant to attract the sizable youth of the country. The top-end LT (O) variant being compared here has among other features Automatic Climate Control (ACC), Driver & Passenger Airbags, ABS and 60:40 split folding rear seats. Rear seat visibility has been sacrificed at the altar of style with the rear door handles integrated in what could have been a light channelling quarter glass. I don’t think children would enjoy sitting on the rear seats, atleast those who are not captivated by the Transformers. Notable omissions in the top-end variant are keyless entry, electrically adjustable ORVM and thin tyres (155mm wide) in the petrol variant. The Beat’s boot is amongst the smallest in this comparison at 175 litres (same as in the Brio) but atleast it has a full-sized hatch door as compared to only an opening glass pane in the Brio.

Honda Brio

Honda has tried to make this budget offering from their stable as endearing as possible via their advertisements. Apart from the sweet 1.2 litre i-VTEC engine, there is no redeeming feature in the Brio. Though the top-end S(O) variant does have Airbags & ABS plus steering mounted audio controls but it is also amongst the most expensive petrol hatchbacks in this comparison. Space is at a premium – it has the shortest wheelbase amongst all cars in the comparison (though Honda has managed to scoop about fairly decent amount of cabin space but using very thin seatbacks) and if you want to carry anything bigger than an average suitcase you can say goodbye, as the relatively small opening area of the rear glass hatch doesn’t aid in keeping big size objects in the tiny 170 litre boot.

FIAT Grande Punto

The 2012 Punto comes with slightly improved interior quality and extra features but at a slightly higher price tag and most importantly the base Active variant with the MJD (diesel) is now well past the Rs.5 lakhs mark. This has raised the entry level price bar which is not good for a car that is not selling well in the first place. Though the increase in price is justified by way of extra features such as an in-built music system, power window key off operation, each door open indicator – all of which were not available in the older variant. It has other good set of unique features such as Follow-me home headlamps and metal sheet behind the rear seat to prevent luggage intrusion. Queer sales and after sales policies being followed by FIAT has rendered this fairly good product (diesel atleast) a laggard in the premium hatchback segment. With suspect A.S.S. and no new models to be launched in the immediate future, FIAT has its work cut-out if it wants to battle the stiff competition.

Ford Figo

Ford Figo has a built-to-price feel to it and it has been built in that way to an extent. But a positive outcome of this is that it is the cheapest amongst the lot, even in the highest trim i.e. Titanium. Figo has features such as Airbags, & ABS plus a Bluetooth enabled music system, which even the more expensive cars in the category don’t have. Plus no one will complain about the space it offers – both passenger and boot. Figo is a true value for money product, After Sales Service aside. ACC, rear power windows and 60:40 split folding rear seats are notable omissions in the top-end Titanium variant, but then few of the other premium hatchbacks cars in the competition have these features.

Hyundai i10

Ever since Hyundai has launched the i10, it has given stiff competition to MS’s Wagon R, which is its nearest competitor. Although the i10 is a small hatch, one doesn’t feel that way due to the well-appointed interiors with peppering of beige (though the dashboard in kappa2 is a decent shade of brown – definitely better than beige earlier that used to reflect badly on the windscreen), plus a host of features that are not available even in B+ segment hatchbacks being compared here (e.g. heated ORVM). But at the end of the day, it is a small hatchback (with a wheelbase only slightly bigger than the Brio, Beat & Ritz) best suited for four people and limited luggage. Dynamically the i10 is nowhere near the more established hatchbacks in the competition (not even the Ritz) partly due to its very light built (mere 860 kgs – though it aids fuel efficiency) and the Kappa engine produces power mostly in the top of its rev range (though MS’s K-series engines also produce peak power & torque at the same 6000 & 4000 RPM respectively and Honda’s at an even higher RPM), which is seldom used in day-to-day driving.

Hyundai has somehow got the recipe right for the average Indian (light controls – clutch, gear & steering; O.K. fuel efficiency, decent visibility, beige interiors, plus the gear shift indicator for first time buyers also helps) and that is reflected in its sales, and mind you, unlike the Ritz it comes only in petrol (though a sizable chunk of the sales would be of the 1.1 litre variant) – but nonetheless credit needs to be given to Hyundai for taking the fight to Maruti Suzuki and the increased competition benefits us – the customers. The inclusion of i10 is solely due to its long feature list, else the Wagon R is also a worthy competitor in the same segment.

Hyundai i20

The i20 delights with the quality of interiors which are well-made and bright with use of beige – something that appeals to most Indians. The gulf in price due to a larger diesel engine has resulted in separate variants of petrol & diesel being considered in the comparison keeping in mind the price band. While the Magna for the petrol variant is fairly loaded with features such as steering adjustable for rake & reach, rear power windows as well, 6 speaker music system with Aux-in & USB, external temperature display, rear window defogger / demister, body coloured ORVM & door handles, parcel tray, cooled glovebox and boot lamp – in comparison the diesel’s Era variant is quite bare bones and doesn’t have these features.

It is surprising though that no variant of i20 has even a Distance to Empty, let alone a fuel consumption / average display. The i20 is fairly spacious but the space is not commensurate with its long wheelbase, though it has a fairly big boot at 295 litres

Toyota Etios Liva

The Liva has a built-to-price feel like the Brio with thin seats and until recently it even came with integrated headrests and the central instrument console (without a tachometer) doesn't help the cause. Though Toyota has managed to carve out good amount of passenger space and the boot is decent at 251 litres. The massive 13 litre glovebox is cooled by an A/C vent inside (even in the base variant), and this is quite delightful in an otherwise rather ordinary looking car. Also in the recent facelift, the addition of a driver seat height adjust and a music system has somewhat helped the value proposition. It is to be noted that the diesel variant (GD) has ABS whereas the petrol variant (G) does without ABS.

Toyota’s image of making durable & reliable cars is helping sales of Liva, affirming the fact that brand name does matter for the average Indian, even if a fairly basic product is being offered. I would like to make a special mention of the Liva’s engines (both petrol & diesel) which has been tuned for good drivability in the city – peak power and torque is delivered at fairly low RPMs as compared to other engines in the competition.

Nissan Micra

Micra has its own quirks regarding the petrol & diesel variants, as the diesel is not available in the base variant but the mid-level variant falls within the price band which though pricey has some features that are unique to the segment, such as true keyless entry (not just remote locking) along with the push button start and electrically foldable ORVM (though i20 also has this feature in Sportz & Asta variants). Micra has fairly low rear seats with very little under thigh support and is middle of the pack in terms of passenger room (w.r.t wheelbase) & boot size (251 litres). Though, coupled with a short turning radius, the Micra a very chuckable hatch for the city.

VW Polo

The Polo’s Trendline variant is a bare bones variant with just power steering, central locking & front power windows – the only major redeeming/delightful feature is the Rake & Reach adjustment for the steering. The value proposition is lacking in the Polo and it is not redeemed by the thrummy 3 cylinder engines on offer, though it has one of the smoothest gear shift action.

In the brochure, VW even advertises features such as halogen lights, car jack, and front disc brakes which I believe are standard in all mainstream cars. Rear seat space is limited in the Polo but the boot is fairy ample at 294 litres. The feature “Boot open with key” is specifically relevant for Polo’s Trendline (& Comfortline) variants that have Central Locking only (no remote locking). One has to unlock the car first from the driver side door and then only can the boot be opened – in case ones hand is filled with shopping, this is an unnecessary hassle.

Maruti Suzuki Ritz

The Ritz is the less beautiful but equally talented sister of the elder Swift. In terms of cabin space, the Ritz provides a better feeling of space than the Swift with the tall boy design helping in liberating some space for the passengers, even though its wheelbase is on the shorter side. The Ritz also has a slightly bigger boot than the Swift (236 vs. 204 litres). Feature-wise the “V” variants are moderately loaded with the Ritz having an advantage of optional ABS (which is being considered in the comparison), plus 60:40 split rear seats (which is available even in the base “L” variants) over the Swift. Though strangely no parcel tray is given, which is not a very costly add-on and should be standard on all variants.

Chevrolet Sail U-VA

The Sail U-VA is a product of GM’s partnership with SAIC (Chinese), but thankfully the built is not as cheap as one had feared. In addition to features such as front & rear power windows, the Sail U-VA has a fairly unique set of features for a B+ hatch in this price range (Punto, i20 & Polo don’t get these) – driver airbag, 60:40 split folding rear seat, front fog lamps and even electrically adjustable ORVMs. Notable omission is a MID (Distance to empty & average display). Also the placement of power window switches on the centre console (rather than on the front doorpads) might not be to everyone’s liking. It is to be noted that the LS (ABS) version adds ABS and Bluetooth enabled music system for an extra Rs.35k over the LS variant.

Maruti Suzuki Swift

Features on the Swift’s “V” variants are middle of the pack with no major unique/delightful features nor are there any notable omissions (other than the ones listed above in the Ritz’s write-up). Though the spring loaded cupholder cooled by AC vent is quite delightful. Lack of a music system can be considered as a notable omission as most of the competition offers it. Even though the new Swift has a slightly longer wheelbase, space it is still very limited at the rear (not helped by the small glass area which makes one claustrophobic), plus the boot is amongst the smallest at only 204 litres. Agreed not everyone requires boot space, but even the Eon has a bigger boot at 215 litres.

But at the end of the day, it is the sales that matters – and the Swift sells like hot cakes with an ever present waiting period – a high selling car is good for the consumers by way of sufficient availability of spare parts, good resale value, after-market accessories, and servicing the car anywhere in India is not an issue. It is to be noted that Swift Vdi is on the expensive side at Rs. 6 lakhs as the fully loaded top variant of Figo is available at the same price.

Tata Indica Vista

It is to be noted that the Vista has passenger/cabin space as its delightful feature, but since it is not a quantifiable aspect, passenger space is not included in the comparison. But the Vista does lag behind others in terms of plastic quality and A.S.S to an extent. The Vista with the 90 HP Quadrajet engine is fairly powerful but comparatively has a higher price tag. Though it is to be noted that the top-end VX version of the 75 HP variant, costs just Rs 5.80 lakhs.

Most importantly the 90 HP version has the instrument cluster located in front of the driver rather than the central location in the 75 HP variant, which was not to everyone's liking. This is a welcome change in addition to the MID borrowed from Manza, which displays fuel average and distance to empty figures. For an additional Rs 85,000 or so, one can get Airbags, Automatic Climate Control, Touch-screen music system and SAT-NAV above the VX (with ABS) variant - which actually makes the ZX+ version seem quite decent value for money considering the amount of kit one gets.

================================================== ======================

Most of the information has been collated from the manufacturers’ website for their respective cars and their brochures (so it is liable to change anytime at manufacturer’s discretion). Inclusion of some models & exclusion of others are solely on my personal criteria for comparison.

P.S. There are some blanks (“?” in the sheet) which need to be filled – so if owners of those vehicles can pitch-in, it would be great. Please report to me any anomalies in the analysis, as owners of these models would have a better idea and even the manufacturers also sometimes inadvertently don’t give the complete information or the details are mentioned incorrectly in their communication (online / brochure). I have tried to cover all possible features, but if any have been left out owners can point it out, preferably with supporting pictures (and remember they should be of same variant compared here). Please note that we are considering only the latest variants of the respective cars, say 2012 model and not the earlier ones or the ones that are no longer produced (e.g. Pref-facelift Swift, i20 or Liva).

Last edited by jessie007 : 9th September 2013 at 17:18.
jessie007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:28   #4
BHPian

Re: FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in Rs4.55-5.00 (P) 5.45-5.85 (D) lakhs r

Jessi jaise koi nahin!

Awesome compilation jessie007. No words to explain your work!

Apart from that, the Indian hatchback segment is the largest and continues to grow with new models from several manufacturers wanting a piece of this pie. Your comparison will help people choose the right model.

I understand that you have picked up models only between 4.55-5.00 for petrol but, I feel you could have included the Jazz too.
Old 4th March 2012, 06:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in Rs4.55-5.00 (P) 5.45-5.85 (D) lakhs r

Wow, this is seriously most comprehensive comparison that i have ever seen. Do you mind uploading the excel, as if someone is interested in this segment all they have to do is download it and compare them locally.

The current hatchback segment has a car at every 20K/50K price point interval, hence it make it very difficult to segment it <5L, is it possible for someone to download the excel and choose the preferred price point and the excel does the rest in terms of choosing the cars/models under that price?
Old 14th July 2012, 12:46   #6
BHPian

Hi Jessi that is a wonderful comparison of the cars based on Pricing. It would be great if you can share the excel or a PDF of the above report.

Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 13:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Thats the best comparison I have ever seen of all the hatches in this segment . Hatchbacks are the most popular cars in India and this thread will surely be a pitstop for all potential buyers.

Kudos to you jessie. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Old 6th November 2012, 11:45   #8
BHPian

FEATURES comparison now includes Sail U-VA!

The comparison now includes the latest entrant - Chevrolet Sail U-VA as well. Plus prices and features in refresh variants have also been updated. Please check Posts#1-3 for the comparison which includes:

Model : Variant (P/D)

Beat : LT (O)
Brio : S (O)
Figo : Titanium
G. Punto : Active
i10 : Sportz (O)
Sail U-VA: LS
i20 : Magna / Era
Liva : G / GD
Micra : XL / XV
Polo : Trendline
Ritz : Vxi / Vdi
Swift : Zxi / Zdi
Vista : GVX / VX

Last edited by jessie007 : 6th November 2012 at 11:47.
jessie007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 16:30   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs ran

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Old 16th March 2013, 14:31   #10
BHPian

Re: FEATURES comparison - New features of Figo & Liva updated

The features comparison has been updated with the recently added features in the Etios Liva as well as the Figo, in addition to the Chevrolet Sail U-VA - the new entrant.

Beat : LT (O)
Brio : S (O)
Figo : Titanium
G. Punto : Active
i10 : Sportz (O)
i20 : Magna / Era
Liva : G / GD
Micra : XL / XV
Polo : Trendline Ritz : Vxi / Vdi
Swift : Zxi / Zdi
Vista : GVX / VX
Old 21st September 2013, 16:15   #11
BHPian

Re: FEATURES comparison - now includes Grand i10

The features comparison has been updated (Posts#1-3) with the new launch Hyundai’s Grand i10 and also recently added features in other cars have been ammended.

Beat: LT (O)
Brio: S (O) [Petrol only]
Figo: Titanium
G. Punto: Active
Grand i10: Sportz
i10: Sportz (O) [Petrol only]
i20: Magna / Era
Liva: G / GD
Micra: XL
Polo: Trendline
Ritz: Vxi / Vdi
Swift: Vxi / Vdi
Vista: VX [Diesel only]
jessie007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 15:54   #12
BHPian

Re: FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in 4.75-5.25 (P) 5.75-6.25 (D) lakhs ran

I am currently in the market to buy a new hatchback. The ones I am currently considering are -
  • Hyundai Grand i10 Asta 1.2 Kappa VTVT (O)
  • Maruti Suziki Swift ZXi
  • Volkswagen Polo Highline 1.2L (P)
  • Renault Pulse RxZ Petrol
  • Honda Brio VX MT
  • Škoda Fabia Elegance 1.2 MPl

Now, I've shortlisted them both on the budget, and their offerings compared to the other hatchbacks in the market. Frankly, I haven't given any importance to the looks at all.

Now, my budget is 6.5L to 7.5L (on-road, in Mumbai). As of now, I have test driven the Polo, Brio and Fabia. Out of those three, Polo seems more probable since I loved the drivability. I had also one rented a self-drive car, which was a Polo, and had driven it for over 2,000 kms. It was a very pleasurable experience. The only downside I could find was that the windshield wasn't as big and I'd have liked. I am a tall guy, and it would sometimes be a problem to keep an eye on the traffic signals.

However, reading your reviews, it would seem that the Polo is hardly a worthy car. Is that true, or did I surmise it wrong?

Additionally, what's your opinion about the cars I have listed above?

Regards.
Old 29th January 2014, 16:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Polo trendline is no longer available. So one has to make a choice from the Comfortline or the Highline and settle for about 6.5L for what is basically a 3 Cyl engine. There is nothing else wrong with the Polo proposition. Since they are going to phase out the 3 Cyl polo something this year, it would be wiser to stick with the GT TDI which shares components and engine with the largest selling Vento/Rapid diesel models. So if you can increase budget by 50K and go with the GT TDI, that would be the best IMHO.
Old 29th January 2014, 17:35   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayonpal View Post
I am currently in the market to buy a new hatchback. The ones I am currently considering are -
  • Hyundai Grand i10 Asta 1.2 Kappa VTVT (O)
  • Maruti Suziki Swift ZXi
  • Volkswagen Polo Highline 1.2L (P)
  • Renault Pulse RxZ Petrol
  • Honda Brio VX MT
  • Škoda Fabia Elegance 1.2 MPl

Now, I've shortlisted them both on the budget, and their offerings compared to the other hatchbacks in the market. Frankly, I haven't given any importance to the looks at all.

Now, my budget is 6.5L to 7.5L (on-road, in Mumbai). As of now, I have test driven the Polo, Brio and Fabia. Out of those three, Polo seems more probable since I loved the drivability. I had also one rented a self-drive car, which was a Polo, and had driven it for over 2,000 kms. It was a very pleasurable experience. The only downside I could find was that the windshield wasn't as big and I'd have liked. I am a tall guy, and it would sometimes be a problem to keep an eye on the traffic signals.

However, reading your reviews, it would seem that the Polo is hardly a worthy car. Is that true, or did I surmise it wrong?

Additionally, what's your opinion about the cars I have listed above?

Regards.

Why not consider the I20 Asta? We just bought one for my parents and took delivery today and believe me, it is a lot of bang for the buck that you get!
I guess the mods will put up my car buying process thread later today. I ve just completed it and requesed them to take it live. Maybe you will gain something from that thread because I also went through the entire process of shortlisting and checking all the offerings very recently, before deciding finally on the I 20.
Old 29th January 2014, 17:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why not consider the I20 Asta? We just bought one for my parents and took delivery today and believe me, it is a lot of bang for the buck that you get!
Judging by all the reviews I read on TBHP, everyone mentioned that the Grand i10 has a much better ride quality than i20. Additionally, the fact that it's about 1L cheaper than the i20 1.2 Asta also helps the case. Of course, I am yet to test drive both the cars. Stupid Hyundai guys were gonna come to my office with the Gran i10 for a test drive today, but didn't turn up. Will share my views once I've test driven both.

By the way, did you buy the same i20 Asta 1.2? If so, then what was the OTR cost, and which city?

Waiting for your post to get approved. Once that happens, please share the URL here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks