Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 10:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Future of Scorpio after launch of XUV500

To put it in simple terms -

As long as it meets all the regulatory norms (in force) it will continue to sell, irrespective of what comes and goes. As of now it is capable of meeting everything until 2020.

Spike
Old 4th March 2012, 10:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra appears to have always toed the aspirational line. What they are attempting to do with their 2 wheelers - leverage the Mahnidra brand for 2 wheelers makes people aspire to move upto another mahindra. With the bolero currently at the entry point of the UV market, the scorpio is the aspirational vehicle for the bolero owner, my guess would be Mahindra would look at repackaging the Scorpio and moving the XUV as the aspirational vehicle- as long as supply is kept under check - the demand will ensure that it becomes truly aspirational. Meanwhile- sales might be diverted to the Xylo for the Urban/ semi-urban family mover and XUV for the urban mobile crowd. The bulk of the scorpio sales might move to the institutional buyers - thus making it an affordable entry vehicle for the first time UV buyer- with a few bells and whistles but still affordable.
madan80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 11:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

It would all depend on where does M&M position it.
Assuming Bolero continues at that price point, that leaves Scorp with 7-8 and above.
It then remains to be how do the Dusters and Ecosports fare on the price point? If comparable,
Scorp may then be reduced to an entry level SUV for Tier-II cities for folks wanting something better than the Bolero.
Old 4th March 2012, 18:18   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From the current financial year:

Scorpio sales average before XUV500 launch : 4,092 / month

Scorpio sales average after XUV500 launch : 4,330 / month

Approx turnover from Scorpio Sales : 300 crore Rupees each month!

Now, are you worried about the Scorpio's future?

Future of Scorpio after launch of XUV500-mahindra-scorpio-vs-xuv500.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 18:32   #20
BHPian

Being an XUV owner for the past 4 months, I can boldly say that the Scorpio is not going to be killed anytime soon by Mahindra. I have driven my friends' scorpio multiple times before buying XUV. Within 4 months I started wondering if I made the right choice.
Old 4th March 2012, 18:33   #21
BHPian

Either Mahindra should bring down the price of the Scorpio drastically or they should stop its production and come up with a W2 and W4 variants of the XUV 5oo and divert all their Scorpio production capacity to XUV 5oo. I personally feel that this is the ideal move for Mahindra.
Old 4th March 2012, 19:14   #22
BHPian

The prices of Scorpio surely might reduce perhaps by reducing some of the not-so essential features and thus might be a great alternative as a entry level SUV. A lot of people aspire for an SUV and yet, Bolero is a little too rugged for the city. Thats where the scorpio fits in. I still see a certain Macho-ness in the scorpio - certain ruggedness.

If i want a decent 7 seater, and there is a 3 Lakh difference between Scorpio and XUV, (although XUV may have slightly more features), I might still look for the Scorpio.
Old 4th March 2012, 19:52   #23
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Either Mahindra should bring down the price of the Scorpio drastically or they should stop its production ....I personally feel that this is the ideal move for Mahindra.
The numbers seem to indicate otherwise. The Scorpio is a strong brand in itself and clearly has the market potential to sell decent numbers in the foreseeable future. Its also a good platform for M&Ms foray into the not-so-advanced global markets that require tough workhorses with small diesel engines.

Even if volumes drop by 10 - 20% in the not so distant future, one can speculate that it will still be worthwhile for M&M to keep the model alive considering that by this point in its life-cycle the Scoripo has probably recovered a good portion of its R&D and manufacturing investments.
Old 4th March 2012, 20:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

These stats simply make this thread totally pointless

Scorpio & XUV are serving different segments! But... this doesnt warrant the fact that slowly the XUV will become the most preferred SUV from Mahindra and Scorpio starts losing its number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Old 4th March 2012, 20:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

As someone has pointed out, If anything M&M will only do a facelift of the scorpio down the line. Even today, there isnt a single rupee discount that you can get in a scorpio apart from a paltry corporate discount of around 5K Rs. That tells you the story, doesnt it?

I only wish M&M bring in improvements to the suspension, gear box and interior fit and finish, I wouldnt be surprised if they get this ready by the time the safari storme launches.
Old 4th March 2012, 20:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:

On the other hand, Tata's slumber has also helped the matter. M&M is going from strength to strength while Tata is killing its models one by one, due to QC issues, insane positioning, watching from sidelines. Maybe they are not so interested in improving their Indian operation as they are in JLR's.
Old 4th March 2012, 23:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But this is the case when M&M is not producing/delivering enough XUV5OO, I am pretty sure once it's available off the shelf just like Scorpio, the numbers will be telling a different story altogether.

I am not suggesting that Scorpio will become a pray of in house cannibalization but doing same sort of numbers at current price point with XUV around will be a hard nut to crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Being an XUV owner for the past 4 months, I can boldly say that the Scorpio is not going to be killed anytime soon by Mahindra. I have driven my friends' scorpio multiple times before buying XUV. Within 4 months I started wondering if I made the right choice.
Can you please elaborate this?
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 11:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV

But this is the case when M&M is not producing/delivering enough XUV5OO, I am pretty sure once it's available off the shelf just like Scorpio, the numbers will be telling a different story altogether.

I am not suggesting that Scorpio will become a pray of in house cannibalization but doing same sort of numbers at current price point with XUV around will be a hard nut to crack.

Can you please elaborate this?
Although you can walk-in to a Mahindra showroom and book a Scorpio right away, it's not available off the shelf as you have to wait for atleast 6-8 weeks depending on the production schedule. Not many cars in the 8-10 lakh range can boast of these kind of wait times. Moreover apart from the corporate discount of 5-7k there is nothing else given by Mahindra as a deal sweetener. Even Maruti offers better discounts for the Alto which costs only a third compared to a Scorpio and is India's largest selling car. These points speak volumes for the popularity of the Scorpio as compared to the XUV 500.
eltoro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 15:09   #29
BHPian

Scorpio is here to stay otherwise why would MM launch with M2di engine in EX spec / 4wd in Lx . i still like the old butch looks of scorpio, except for safety features and some convience stuff i didnot like the XUV .
Old 5th March 2012, 16:43   #30
BHPian

I for one would want M&M to do the following to the Scorpio:

1. Give it a butt lift. Yes, I still cannot digest it even after so many years

2. Don't pretend it to be a 7 seater. Instead, make it a more comfortable 5
seater. I am 6'1 and struggle to fit in to the FRONT SEATS!!!

3. IMPROVE THE SUSPENSION.

Most Viewed