Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 05:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Vista - Highly Underrated MJD hatchback compared to Swift ?!

Indica and now Vista has always been feature rich, back when i bought my Indica it came with Power Windows for all four windows (No other car in that price range had it).

The Indica in those days used to have quiet a few failures after about 2 years of ownership. Radiator, Alternator, Steering etc were replaced in my 7 years of ownership. One might argue that the Indica Vista these days are lot more improved then the ones in 2001 and i would agree, but the failures in comparison to other Japanese cars is still higher.

This is with experience on my friends Vista in my hometown, which goes to service center about once every month, nothing major but surely minor niggles (Which Tata A.S.S do a good job in solving, but unfortunately it keeps coming back).
Old 7th March 2012, 06:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

It's the tata ownership experience that most people hate. Dealing with TASC's can be so downright frustrating that its often better to pay a few extra K for peace of mind.

And then there is the small matter of resale value.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 07:08   #18
BHPian

To be frank I think VISTA is highly underrated just because its Indian. In my close to one year of ownership my car has gone to the service centre just for the services as far as I remember and the guys at TASC offer an excellent support.

As all the pros and cons are discussed earlier I would just like to add one point you could call a swift a driver's delight but Vista is called a family's delight. I don't think you can drive delightfully if your family or friends inside the car aren't comfortable.

Just my 2 cents and no harm intended on fellow car owners.
smrtdvl is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 08:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You don't want that light clutch failing on a highway trip. You don't want multiple unscheduled trips to service centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
It's the tata ownership experience that most people hate. Dealing with TASC's can be so downright frustrating that its often better to pay a few extra K for peace of mind.
My opinion is that there is a lot of hangover from the old gen Indica/Tata Safari here. Having owned a Vista for about 3 years with 58K on the ODO i have not had this experience at all. Visits to the service centres have been for regular service and not for any niggles.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 08:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
My opinion is that there is a lot of hangover from the old gen Indica/Tata Safari here. Having owned a Vista for about 3 years with 58K on the ODO i have not had this experience at all. Visits to the service centres have been for regular service and not for any niggles.
Mine is a current experience, It's there all over my long term thread. I suppose you are lucky with your Tasc
Old 7th March 2012, 09:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Swift is better because of the first thing that any car buyer will be most interested in - Looks, the new Swift especially is a looker and it is something the Vista doesn't match up to in any way. The engine is the same, the service network is wider and perception of quality works in favour of the Swift.
The Vista is where it is because of its overall packaging which is far short of what the Swift offers. The old Swift didn't have a top spec diesel and with the launch of that, people are queuing up for it, the ultimate judge will be the customer and Swift scores in that too. The seating of the Vista is reminiscent of the Sumo and it certainly won't be in favour with fans of regular cars, the Swift scores on this too.

Last edited by avira_tk : 7th March 2012 at 09:35. Reason: Removed tags
Old 7th March 2012, 09:36   #22
BHPian

The only thing which can be concluded from the above discussion is that tata quality is not consistent across all the cars they manufacture. Some users have had excellent experience with vista some dont. This is where tata fails -- the user experience and trust. It takes time to build trust.
Toyota, Honda, Suzuki have the track record of excellent reliability of their cars and consistently they have build cars with equal quality.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
All that said, there is now another car that I love even more than the Vista, Swift or the Ritz - my parent's Liva GD ! I personally feel the Liva GD is an overall better driver's car than the other 3 cars. The Liva is very much a joy in the city than the Vista, and has an even more lighter clutch than the Vista.
Can you please explain how Vista compares to Liva GD with respect to suspension in the city drive which is typically within 60 km/hr? If you sat in the back seat of both the cars, how does the back seat comfort compare in those two cars?
Old 7th March 2012, 10:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

IMO Tata should have done away with 'Indica' brand and marketed 'Vista' as all new platform just like Tata Sumo and Safari.

It is a very good value for money proportion but people still feel the taxi image which is hurting Vista.

And as they say swift is overrated - it is but again it deserves to be.

In my college Swift was a style accessory for it's owners just like Karizma/Pulsar220/R15 in case of bikes.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You don't want that light clutch failing on a highway trip.
Hi Vid, I quite didnt get that point. An explanation would be helpful.

The Vista is quite an awesome car, which is let down by the poor A.S.S of TATA. If only they had the Maruti A.S.S., this car would do wonders!

But then, not everyone like the Vista's look when compared with the Swift. On practicality levels, the Vista scores much more.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:57   #26
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Reliability, after sales, lower maintenance costs, contemporary looks and brand image.

You don't want that light clutch failing on a highway trip. You don't want multiple unscheduled trips to service centre.

For 30-40K more you get piece of mind with some compromises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
We own the Aura edition Vista , infact 2 Aura Vista's in the family, since the last 46,000 kms and more. And 4 years of peaceful ownership. Also has done numerous long distance trips.

Your views come across very funny. When where and why did u face all those problems, can you care to explain
Both of the above comments are valid. The inconsisitency of TATA is a major factor at play here. I was at the Tata showroom (Concorde Motors, Mysore Raod) on 28.02.2012 to look at Tata Aria and Tata Safari. I looked at 3 Safari's. Two of them had horrible looking finish, while one of them looked very good.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:00   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
To be frank I think VISTA is highly underrated just because its Indian.
=========================
Just my 2 cents and no harm intended on fellow car owners.
That line is a killer ! Seals the deal for me. A proud Vista Refresh VX owner for the past 6 months. Proud to own a TATA.
EdgedNTaken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 11:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Mine is a current experience, It's there all over my long term thread. I suppose you are lucky with your Tasc
Do you think I am also lucky too? I am using Indica -xeta for the last 5 yrs. I am also quite happy with my ownership experience. I mean in terms of the amount of money that I spent compare to the value that I got. I also have not much issue with TASC either. In most cases, they are very supportive so far.
Old 7th March 2012, 12:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

The positives of the Vista is lesser when compared to the negatives.

+ Space
+ Peppy engine (from FIAT)
+ Features

- Brand image
- Flawed handling
- "Indica" tag (taxi image)
- Average ride quality
- Reliability factor questionable

There are 2 categories of small car buyers :

1) Family man : He looks for peace of mind & reliability. He would give priority to good A.S.S., excellent reliability, ride quality & good brand image over features & performance. So, for him Liva, i20 & Swift fits the bill rather than Indica Vista.

2) Youngster : He wants sporty looks, tight handling, tons of features & performance. Again for him, an Indica Vista just does not fit in. I fall in this category & chose the Punto over the Vista, knowing that I am paying more money for a car with lesser space & with the same engine.

The Vista is neither here nor there and that is the reason for its dismal sales, when compared to segment leaders.

Disclaimer: Above is purely my personal opinion.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 7th March 2012 at 12:16.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 12:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Reliability, after sales, lower maintenance costs, contemporary looks and brand image.

For 30-40K more you get piece of mind with some compromises.

That said I'm not a Swift fan old or the new one. Prefer the Figo, Liva or Pulse.
My father had an non-turbo Indica V2 diesel before he bought a swift VDi. Obviously when it comes to the fun of driving, the swift is miles ahead. But, to be honest, I am not convinced by this perception that people have of marutis that they are better built than indicas. The one that one father owned has a very poor reputation. But the only problem we ever faced was a bolwn glow plug in the 4 yrs of ownership. As for the swift, clutch has being acting strange from the 10K mark [a known issue with swift VDi], battery problems caused the immobiliser to pack up [again, many have faced this problem on the forum] Super cheap quality of sheet used to construct body. I say so because rusting is a major problem. Our 3 yr old car a even got a small hole on the inside of the right door due rusting! There are many other spots where rusts have cropped up. The hydralics that lift up the boot have gone weak. They only go up 85% of the way and has to be pushed up by hand after that. Honestly, though we are very happy with how the car performs, I doubt if we are going to ever get another Maruti.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the rattles that started even before the car got home from the showroom.

Back then, Marutis were value for money. But they simply have lost the plot. If I were to buy a diesel hatchback now, I'd either go for the Fiat Punto 90HP[if I want an enthusiastic drive] or the Vista [if I was looking for sheer practicality]!
scuderiamania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks