Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 15:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Vista - Highly Underrated MJD hatchback compared to Swift ?!

Both cars are good on their own. Both has some advantages for sure. What Vista mainly lacks is the brand image. Indica name to it is a sore point to many. My wife was also not ready to buy Vista when i told its Indica Vista. Also Vista suffers from the bad A$$ of Tata.

Also IMO, TATA NEVER SELL THEIR CARS, PEOPLE BUY THEIR CARS. What i mean by that is they dont provide any good purchasing experience for the customers. This area they need to improve immediately.
Old 9th March 2012, 16:13   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
I think it's more a case of the Swift being a highly overrated car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I rather think the other way. Swift is indeed over hyped and overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Totally agree here, Swift is overrated and is hyped to the roof!
Am sorry but are any of you actual Swift owners? Obviously the car has its faults, but someone who buys the car is obviously aware of them and buys the car despite them because it offers an incredible value proposition to them, individually. If it doesn't work for you, fine. But that doesn't change the fact that some 20,000 people every month buy this car or its booted sibling. Personally, I think the new Swift s overpriced, but consumers are not fools- they know value when they see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Also IMO, TATA NEVER SELL THEIR CARS, PEOPLE BUY THEIR CARS.
Well said. I am a firm believer that cars like the Vista, Manza, Aria should be marketed and sold independently of the "old school" Tata brands. The "sedan class" adverts have had a lot of people sit up and take notice: in fact recently I advised a young guy from my team to go buy the VX instead of the Vdi for the same reasons the OP has quoted. His response: I'm not sure I want my first car to be a taxi brand. Till Tata break that mindset, they are going to continue being a contender rather than a leader.

Last edited by noopster : 9th March 2012 at 18:49. Reason: Typos
Old 9th March 2012, 18:09   #63
BHPian

Main reason for going towards maruti - RESALE Value. You can sell a swift in an hour too.
I bought my VDI for 6.97lakhs 3 months back (I know it is seriously over priced). I wont be keeping it more than 3 years. And I can easily sell the vehicle for 6L+ after 3 years (as per the current condition). Try that with TATA.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:24   #64
BHPian

TATA indica vista is not overhyped and not overrated. It's understandable. Pick 10 people off a public road and show the old/new swift and the Indica Vista. Result? Atleast 50% would go for the swift.

Im not being hypothetical here. I have experienced this first hand. The swift looks good and thats more than reason enough for a petrol head /average office goer / teenager to choose it over a Vista, no matter how much more the Vista is better than a Swift if compared with a microscope.

Even a car thief would rather break into a Swift than any old/new Indica Vista (my opinion)
Old 9th March 2012, 19:24   #65
BHPian

Well is this a comparison between the diesel versions only?
Bring on the petrol version and the Swift is distintively the better car inspite of Vista's regular advantages.

Moreover Tata made another blunder by sticking to the agricultural (by today's modern standards, no offense to the owners) Tdi engine. While it is a workhorse, but for personal use it is still bit unrefined and sluggish.
No wonder the Tdi version is quite popular with the taxi owners and for other commercial runs thanks to its uncomplicated nature and cheaper price tag.

For the matter of fact, the organisation where I work in has now shifted from regular Indicas to the Vista TDi for obvious reason. It clearly indicates that Indica is a popular choice in the commercial market, Vista or not.

One more great advantage with Swift as mentioned above is its super resale value. Vista is almost exact opposite.

Honestly if I need two cars in my family, one can be the Vista. Because I see the practical aspect of this car which will serve the purpose.

If I want just a single car in my family then the Swift clicks. It will be decently practical in its own right (reliability,resale,A.S.S.) and will have that good image as well (+ drive,style)

That is how regular Indians think IMO

Last edited by Turbokick : 9th March 2012 at 19:29.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:47   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Well is this a comparison between the diesel versions only?
Well...the OP did mention MJD in the title, so it kind of narrows it down

Quote:
Moreover Tata made another blunder by sticking to the agricultural (by today's modern standards, no offense to the owners) Tdi engine. While it is a workhorse, but for personal use it is still bit unrefined and sluggish.
No wonder the Tdi version is quite popular with the taxi owners and for other commercial runs thanks to its uncomplicated nature and cheaper price tag.
Excuse me for sounding dumb but isn't the Vista equipped with the 1.3 Fiat MJD "national engine"? That's the same one that's plonked into the Swift. So what's this about "agricultural engines"?

Edit: My mistake, appears there is a TDI engine on offer as well.

Last edited by noopster : 9th March 2012 at 19:58.
Old 9th March 2012, 20:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

Vista comes with 1.3 MJD, 1.4 tdi, 1.2 petrol and 1.4 petrol engines.
sidindica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 20:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

For the matter of fact, the organisation where I work in has now shifted from regular Indicas to the Vista TDi for obvious reason. It clearly indicates that Indica is a popular choice in the commercial market, Vista or not.
as a TDi engine owner, I AM offended! there are plenty of NEW TDi vehicle owners (Indigo CS, Vista) who are very happy with their vehicles, think they are adequately powered, and dont think of their vehicles on the same lines as farm equipment. Sometimes agricultural has its advantages. While they may not be common rail, a lot of development and refinement has gone into them.
Old 9th March 2012, 22:55   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
as a TDi engine owner, I AM offended! there are plenty of NEW TDi vehicle owners (Indigo CS, Vista) who are very happy with their vehicles, think they are adequately powered, and dont think of their vehicles on the same lines as farm equipment. Sometimes agricultural has its advantages. While they may not be common rail, a lot of development and refinement has gone into them.
For someone for whom performance is not important, the TDI engine works fine. One just needs to take care of the Turbo.

A common-rail motor can be a nightmare once it needs work. I have seen it with MJD owners as well as DiCOR owners. The reasons for engine-related work may be valid / invalid but the financial hit is immense.

The Delhi-NCR cab market is now flooded with Indica and Indigo CS with CR4 motors. Knowing the way cab-drivers treat their engines (revving when cold, not idling turbo) I shudder to think where they will end-up.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 23:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I am extremely sorry if it did hurt your sentiment and it is quite natural that opinion varies from person to person. I hope you understand

There is never a question regarding the potential of the engine. But yes the majority of indigo CS and vista are sold for commercial purpose without doubt.

While Tata has come a long way in refining the engine and its gearbox but drive the tdi, mjet and tdci back to back , and the difference is obvious.
Tdi has got a narrower powerband and the gearbox and clutch feel heavier. Engine is bit coarse as well.
But the engine is efficient, hardy and has decent pulling power.
Old 10th March 2012, 01:26   #71
Senior - BHPian

My friend and Tbhpian ( Slick ) who is looking to buy a new car visted Maruti to check out new Dzire and swift

He was disappointed with the ingress/egress.
As it is swift is difficult, while Dzire is a joke in this regards.
You can skip yoga clases if you buy New Dzire.

Automobile design ( Aesthetic ) plays a big role in buying a car, many people find ritz practical but hate its looks.

Similarly Vista does look short at rear and long at front, front overhang is longer while at rear there is almost no overhang.
This IMO does not give a balanced look to the car if viewed sideways.

Swift has bulbous and well proportioned design and good word of mouth.
Example is honda activa , people blindly go for it even though there are better options in market ( read Wego & Access ).
Both Swift and activa enjoy long waiting periods, while other are easily available.

As far as VISTA - SEDAN CLASS, which hatchback has central armrest?
Compare feature list with marutis, and Vista wins.

VISTA - Biggest USP is space and wide choice of engines.

Last edited by silverado : 10th March 2012 at 01:30.
Old 10th March 2012, 01:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
And I can easily sell the vehicle for 6L+ after 3 years (as per the current condition). Try that with TATA.
I would really like to know how easy it is, to sell a 3 years used diesel hatchback for 6L+?
Old 10th March 2012, 01:58   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
He was disappointed with the ingress/egress.
As it is swift is difficult, while Dzire is a joke in this regards.
You can skip yoga clases if you buy New Dzire.
The new Dzire has a bigger door than the Swift! So it should be easier when it comes to ingress & egress, compared to a Swift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I would really like to know how easy it is, to sell a 3 years used diesel hatchback for 6L+?
Down south, it's NOT a problem. Also take into account the price hikes that will happen in 3 years. I bought my car in 2008 Oct for 5.8L OTR, I can easily command a 5L price tag today after clocking 65,000 kms because the same variant, brand new model sells for 6.3L OTR today.
Old 10th March 2012, 04:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The new Dzire has a bigger door than the Swift! So it should be easier when it comes to ingress & egress, compared to a Swift!
Mr Swift you will be furious when you actually go and try it, from your quote it seems you are assuming it.

Also check out the photo of swift and dzire in march autocar side by side length wise and you will notice the door size is almost similar, but in dzire it tapers sharply at the top making it difficult to enter and exit without banging your head ( GTO also mentioned the same in his review )
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 04:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Down south, it's NOT a problem. Also take into account the price hikes that will happen in 3 years. I bought my car in 2008 Oct for 5.8L OTR, I can easily command a 5L price tag today after clocking 65,000 kms because the same variant, brand new model sells for 6.3L OTR today.
I doubt you will get 5L for it given that its an old model now.

Most Viewed