Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 10:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Sierra - what did you love?

Many voted to Sierra, I have driven it just few yards while parking it in Airport. It was a modified 12 yrs old one, so, my views on the car need not be right.

Those who have driven Sierra must have started driving cars a decade before I started. So, I have a question to those who voted for Sierra. Why do you like the car to come back? Design? Engineering? Quality? Ride and comfort?

I am sure there should enough valuable reason which might help Tata to think about it again. If Bolero or Sumo is on the road successfully over 10 or 15 years, why didn't a Sierra make a comeback so far?

I know this car was a preferred choice of the chief minister of Tamil nadu and which couldn't be wrong.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:54   #47
BHPian

Re: Believe in re-birth? Which old car would you bring back?

I voted for others, i would love to see the baleno back with all round discs, abs, New interior, alightly tuned engine with 120 bnhp
Old 14th March 2012, 11:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Uno.

Simple design, amazing aerodynamic drag coefficient, good space for its size, tireless highway mile muncher.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 11:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Fiat Uno.

Simple design, amazing aerodynamic drag coefficient, good space for its size, tireless highway mile muncher.
Except the boxy looks. Though the engine is outdated by today's standards, its still a gem. Never seen a hatch this small with this good space. What one of my friends who got into my Uno for the first time said was "wow, so much space!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post

I know this car was a preferred choice of the chief minister of Tamil nadu and which couldn't be wrong.
IIRC, Malayalam movie star Suresh Gopi had three of them

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 14th March 2012 at 11:39.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:39   #50
BHPian

Gods ! Please bring back W124 !!
There should be only 2 changes -
(a) modern common-rail diesel engine
and
(b) electric actuators in place of vacuum actuators
and please please rest all the same !!
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 11:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

The Old Zen (pre-facelift model).
Strap on the current 1.2 litre K-series engine. (The old Zen's engine bay was pretty commodious - remember it even swallowed that Peugeot TUD-5 diesel?)
14 inch wheels and brakes to match. And that Passion Yellow colour
Then watch the old gal cock - a - snook at all the newcomers !
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 11:50   #52
BHPian

The Tata Sierra. We owned two of these in the mid nineties, and there's no way to explain what the butch machine felt like when there were no modern SUVs so to speak.

Next, the legendary W124. Enough said.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Here are my votes :

1) Maruti Zen ( old original one )
2) Maruti Esteem
3) Tata Estate
4) Tata Sierra

1) Maruti Zen
  • One of better handling hatches. Ofcourse we have Swift now, but Zen had its own charm and one felt secure while cornering it ( personal view ). Lower CofG means one never felt any hint of motion sickness.
  • Engine. One of the best 1.0 ltr motor. Yes, it was proper 4 cylinder motor with a top end others could dream of. Right now we have a K10 engined car, but believe me, I am yet to come across a better 1.0 motor except G10.
  • Damn reliable car with maintenance on lower side
2) Maruti Esteem
  • I dont think that this car needs any further introduction. One car that held onto motorsport scene in India when nothing could do a thing. I still love that gearbox and responsive motor.
  • Engine, again was legendary. Even without the complexicity of so called VVT/VTEC/VTVT, etc. this engine would steal daylight out of many much more expensive cars. One fast, reliable, easy to maintain sedan
  • All round independent suspension. The moment one has to drop two wheels off the road, the importance of this suspension is realized
3) Tata Estate
  • Very spacious car with relatively good insulation from road noise ( for that time )
  • Space and sturdiness were its core strength that are mostly missing in cars in lower price bracket ( Purely IMHO ). Cars might be scoring on safety, but sturdiness somehow seems to be lost
4) Tata Sierra
  • A car I would dream off in my childhood. I started reading automags when I could barely understand a complete statement in English but I used to underline sentences, ask my elder sister or dad to explain to me. God scolding from dad for not concentrating on studies, but I DREAMED OF TATA SIERRA...Somehow I love this car. I would stare at Tata sierra ads for hours at time
  • Was quite good in size, not that large, not that small. Perfectly suited to Indian conditions.
  • Would love to see this car revived with X2 platform and longer wheelbase than the original 2400 mm ( apparently same as original indica ).
Apart from these, I would love to see Baleno, Ikon being revived.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re-birth of these models in the same order:

1) Tata Sierra- Fantastic package let down with a poor engine and naggling issues. Plonk a DICOR and re-launch. Fantastic concept of a car(or rather SUV) that I still feel was ahead of its time.

2) Good old Amby. Re-model it and she can still be a stunner.

3) 118 NE- Fantastic car again yet somehow never caught up. Use better steel and resolve the rusting issues and she still remains a looker.

4) Opel Astra- Wow. Such a great looking car and still manages the stares. A re-launch? If you must!!

5) The Palio 1.6 : Any questions? I better think not

6) Peugeot 209: Was a fantastic car to drive yet atrocious pricing killed it.

OF the list, some cars that do not deserve a re-birth:

1) Esteem: Cramped and feels like you are sitting on the floor.
2) Ikon: Great driver's car but then if maintenance is a call, best said--AVOID.
3) Cielo: So many issues to count. Electrical, mechanical, rusting. Best left for dead.
4) Tata Estate: No point is getting any estates here. It just doesn't sell!!
Old 14th March 2012, 12:05   #55
BHPian

An interesting discussion about Contessa here.
Old 14th March 2012, 15:48   #56
BHPian

Honda City type 2 vtec would be my choice above all , very very responsive and refined engine , very elegantly designed , was fun to drive and was budget friendly too!
Old 14th March 2012, 16:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Mondeo, despite the prohibitive pricing of the spares & service that Ford erred on last time when they launched the car in India. Just love the elegant minimalist design cues of the car & it was a brilliant drivers' car too.

Eagerly waiting for the latest Ford Mondeo to be launched in India in 2013.
Old 14th March 2012, 16:20   #58
BHPian

I would love to see the Standard Gazel back. My neighbor had a open top one, looked really beautiful. The exhaust note was fantastic too and I loved the way the bonnet opened. Another car that I'd like to be back again is the Standard 2000, looks beautiful even now.
Old 14th March 2012, 16:42   #59
BHPian

Ford Fusion - I would have loved to own one - It was a car that was ahead of it's time - Never recovered after the pricing disaster by Ford
Old 14th March 2012, 18:25   #60
BHPian

Chennai-Indian, just when I wondered why would you refer to a 'current' car in your wish list, it struck me the Fusion sold by Ford in India is/was a completely different car than its American namesake. It is all too usual to see the same car sell with different names in different regions. Something to talk about on another thread another time

Coming to this thread, I'd like to see the Tata Estate wagon come back with a neat V6 and tuned suspension. As a kid I was fascinated by this vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks