Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 23:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which yesteryear legend would you like to see revived by today's manufacturers?

I would like to see Zen carbon and Honda city Vtec to be back in action. I just can't get enough of both of them. How i wish, both honda and maruti starts manufacturing them again with ABS and Airbags

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 8th September 2012 at 23:42.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:43   #107
BHPian

Re: Which yesteryear legend would you like to see revived by today's manufacturers?

1. HM Ambassador - It is a 1960s car accidentally crossing into the 21st century and has immense character because of it. I see an Army ambassador sometimes, immaculately maintained, with shining chrome, and I think it looks so elegant!! I think if it can be modernized (not the shape) with better manufacturing processes, internals et al, it would be great!

2. Premier padmini (Fiat 1100D) : Another car which I would love a reboot of! It was such a handsome car in its heyday and would make a cracking little ride if it was given a makeover.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't even want any modern day car around. If I could, I'd commission the manufacturers to build each one of the following and put together an entire garage of hotties.

1. Mercedes-Benz W124 E300 (blue)
2. Mercedes-Benz W126 560SEL (black)
3. Mercedes-Benz R129 SL600 (definitely the same shade of maroon ST owned)
4. BMW E39 M5 (light blue!)
5. BMW E46 M3 (yellow)
6. Honda City Vtec 2000 - 2003 (silver)
7. Ferrari Testarossa 1987 (very red)
8. Ford Mustang 1967 (blue with a white stripe)
9. A nice old Beetle in pale yellow, please.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th September 2012 at 23:55.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Without a doubt the old VW Beetle !! At a sensible price of course
Old 9th September 2012, 00:11   #110
Team-BHP Support

I'd love to see Lancia back in action. I've always liked their cars. The 037, the Fulvia, the Stratos, the Delta and all its iterations. All of them look a million bucks and it would be great to see this legendary marque making a comeback with these cars.

Saab bit the dust recently. There is a certain charm about their cars that no other car seems to have. Don't know what it is. Can't put a finger on it. But it's there, that's for sure!

Ferrari must design and engineer a retro-modern version of the Dino. Imagine a mid-engined V6 Ferrari! That should give the 911 Carrera some sleepless nights.
Old 9th September 2012, 00:24   #111
Senior - BHPian

I hope this is related to the Indian Car scene as it is posted here. As such my first choice would be the Standard 2000 with a real 2000 CC engine (Petrol) and the next would be..
Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I would like to see HM Contessa with a modern diesel unit power steering and window or better still a twin turbo V8
Not necessarily a diesel, a petrol would do just fine, again another 2L engine with better suspension, disc brakes, ABS etc.

I would also like TATA to restore the Estate with a modern design (no, not the Indigo Marina) and come up with a better engine like the modern Fiat petrols or the 1.6L DDIS and everything else also at par with the modern cars.
Old 9th September 2012, 01:37   #112

It has to be the Contessa.

With a sane 2.0L turbo diesel, a good number of customisation options for the interior & the paint-job, and not to mention class-leading marketing, it will be so full of win, I will not mind paying as much as any other Jap/Eu D1 segment car.

HM should take a page out of Piaggio's book. What they have done with the new Vespa in India is the stuff of legends

Ps. picked a little something up from T-BHP itself:

Too much badassery in that photo!

Ah wishful thinking
Old 9th September 2012, 02:18   #113
BHPian

Tata Sierra with better build, less niggles, better engine and modern engineering. That car (..or SUV ) had character.
vivekz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 05:25   #114
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Maruti Baleno. I find it to be the best looking of all the Maruti cars till date.
Old 9th September 2012, 09:24   #115
Senior - BHPian

1) Baleno. This car had proper 3 box sedan looks unlike the newer fluidic shapes that have flooded the Indian market. Great motor, beautiful handling, fantastic ride and ultra efficient AC. I am not exaggerating on Ultra Effecient AC, it was simply one of the best. Those who have experienced it would know more about it. The very well designed rear seat was one of the most comfortable. We have Innova with captain chairs but the under thigh support of baleno's rear seat is missing in even Innova.

2) Original Zen with 16V motor. The G series enignes were one of the most free revving motors to have ever the country ( along with 1.6 ROCAM, and original Honda City motors ). Very stable for a hatch, even today the so called modern hatches will find it difficult to have similar dynamics.

3) Tata Sierra. It was one of the dream machines of my life. The turbo with 4X4 was simply awesome. That car, with better engineering overall would be an instant hit in today's SUV crazy world. Can give really tough competition to Duster, Scorpio, etc.

4) Might seem odd one, but Toyota Qualis. This car should be again launched with lower price tag, not crossing 9 lakh OTR and see this car wipe out even hatches and sedans, let alone cross overs. Realiability and SUV type sitting were main advantages.

5) Daewoo Matiz. Yes, spark is a close cousin, but nothing like Matiz. Matiz had better safety rating than the current spark and was one tough yet cute little car.

6) Peugeot 309. A special soft corner for this car, which could not prove its worth and was ahead of its time.

7) Mitsubishi lancer ( still available ) but with original slim grille. Timeless design it was. Still would look better than swoopy "form over function" looks.
Old 9th September 2012, 10:04   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread would inevitably have the Contessa topping the list, with the Sierra following it.
Among the Indian car market scene, it has to be the Contessa. Just the body shape and seats should remain the same, change everything underneath. I still dream of HM relaunching it when they are at the cliff edge and happen to come across the Contessa die casts. In the Indian roads where anything classic has to be an Ambassador or Fiat, this comes as a fresh whiff of air.
Among international cars, it has to be THE Cressida, true it has been replaced functionally by the Camry and spiritually by the Toyota Mark X/Lexus IS, but still it's the sedan to have.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 10:20   #117
Senior - BHPian

Would love to have a Esteem in a new Avatar,When this car came out it had become a dream for me however the car was axed by Maruti when i was old enough to buy my own car and sadly never brought back again.The 65 Hp carb engine and the Mpfi engine was a gem of a engine.I had considered the old swift which was plonked with the same engine just for the sake of the old 1.3 litre engine but that too was axed.
Old 9th September 2012, 10:31   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) Tata Sierra. It was one of the dream machines of my life. The turbo with 4X4 was simply awesome. That car, with better engineering overall would be an instant hit in today's SUV crazy world. Can give really tough competition to Duster, Scorpio, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Tata Sierra with better build, less niggles, better engine and modern engineering. That car (..or SUV ) had character.
Another vote for the Sierra from me. Preferably with ABS/EBD, airbags and modernised internals.
Old 9th September 2012, 10:32   #119
Team-BHP Support

I believe in change and evolution, and hence I don’t really long to see any of the old cars to be revived. For me, some of the good things from the past are best left there, so that our love/admiration for those remains intact.

That said, I wish the good old Ambassador brand is taken over by some European biggie and convert it into a modern classic – like how the Mini got revived by BMW
Old 9th September 2012, 10:38   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

4) Might seem odd one, but Toyota Qualis. This car should be again launched with lower price tag, not crossing 9 lakh OTR and see this car wipe out even hatches and sedans, let alone cross overs. Realiability and SUV type sitting were main advantages.
Can't agree more. The problem is, a relaunch might even wipe out Toyota's own Innova.

And yes, another car I want back on road is Zen (original). Cant fathom why Maruti stopped this car and went for the stupid-looking Zen Estillo.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks