Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2007, 11:40   #46
BHPian

It's not just the Car's problem. Imagine U r taking a U-turn on ur big Innova on a small road... and U need to reverse to really cut the angle for the second time and U find a taxi or a scooterwala behind ur back who couldn't wait a second and U R struck in ur Innova coz of a traffic jam caused by U... AS THEY SAY.
Old 17th June 2007, 19:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs View Post
It's not just the Car's problem. Imagine U r taking a U-turn on ur big Innova on a small road... and U need to reverse to really cut the angle for the second time and U find a taxi or a scooterwala behind ur back who couldn't wait a second and U R struck in ur Innova coz of a traffic jam caused by U... AS THEY SAY.
SONYCS - Please read the FAQs before posting. It is YOU not U.
Old 17th June 2007, 20:02   #48
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Well innova has a turning radius of 5.4 against 5.3 of SX4. So you will face this problem in SX4 as well...my guess is you will face this problem in all C segment cars.
Old 18th June 2007, 00:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

3 Hrs Not Good Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

On my last Cochin-Trivandrum trip I got just about 10kmpl, but we covered the distance in less than 3 hours. I think thats very good (the average, not the speed)
Hai Steeroid,

225 Kms in 3 hrs in NH47 is not OK? Last time I did that stretch 2 years back, 0500 AM - 0830 AM, was in 3 hrs 30 mts I thought was good. Or has the road improved that much. The road from Edapally to Aleppy was real good, 4 lane, from there to Kayamkulam pretty good from there it slowed us down plenty. I'd be driving down this Aug/Sep so just curious.

==Ramky
--------------
Old 18th June 2007, 10:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Most Indian roads are designed for forward movement, and not necessarily for u-turns. Even small cars will have trouble doing u-turns on small roads (think village connecting roads or narrow inner-city roads). If you then buy a strictly on its u-turn ability, you'll be cramped 99% of the time for the sake of the 1% of the time you make u-turns.

On the off chance that this would ever happen as in the traffic jam scenario above, you should probably just turn back, turn left, let the traffic pass, and turn back.

If there isn't enough space and there is too much traffic to do a u-turn, there's probably too little space and too much traffic to go the reverse direction if you could make a u-turn in the first place.

Finally, you can't/shouldn't make a u-turn when there's traffic following you anyways, even in a small car.
Old 18th June 2007, 10:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

well, the innova is a good MPV. Driver discipline is the key here, as pervious posts have pointed out, if you stick to your lane, and employ a defensive driving plan, i guess things will be better. The problem is that we cant wait. If there are 3 seconds left on the timer to turn green, we will start moving. Why? The solution is not to bring smaller cars, or louder horns. The solution is eduction. And proper driving skills. It should not be a stick method, wherein the people drive slow, because the police will catch, but becuase they believe that reaching 5 mins later is not a problem.
Old 18th June 2007, 10:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
The solution is eduction. And proper driving skills. It should not be a stick method, wherein the people drive slow, because the police will catch, but becuase they believe that reaching 5 mins later is not a problem.

Terrific point madan, but how do we get this to the people ?
Old 18th June 2007, 21:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Terrific point madan, but how do we get this to the people ?
Thats the million $ question. I dont think it's possible.

PS: Im aftraid we are going OT here esteem lover.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have an Innova and I love it! Bombay has the worst case scenario of traffic congestion there can be in any Indian city, thankfully it also has the most disciplined traffic as comapred to any Indian city. (those who disagree try driving in any other Indian Metro/City) [ The space problem is going to remain and probably get worse but I agree to what was said in so many previous posts viz; Its an education problem. and unfortunately its only the stick method that works here. Why do those pan sphewing, litter throwing guys refrain from their nefarious activities when abroad? Are they suddenly more educated? Its because of a sign that says Littering Fine $500 . Also there is no junk thrown on the roads. Why do we suddenly turn law abiding, side giving patient drivers in another country? Because our attitude in our own country is sadly, "Chalta Hai" ]
Back to Topic Coming back to the Innova, Yes it is big and only big can be comfortable. I use my car as a daily drive and if one keeps to one's lane and does not get intimidated by the two wheelers and cabbies, then its a win win situation. C'mon admit it, in a city like Mumbai or any Indian traffic infested city, a scratch here or there and an innocent dent here or there is a part of commuting. This is inevitable. This is going to happen even if you have a Maruti or a Reva coz the distance between you and the next vehicle is not going to change. Yes if you do have a parking problem and if you're a nuclear family who travels mainly in the city, then i guess a smaller vehicle would do the trick. Remember, you cant have you cake and eat it too.
Old 5th July 2007, 22:36   #55
BHPian

For its price Innova is one of the best vehicle available in India
Old 29th September 2007, 12:49   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
It should not be a stick method, wherein the people drive slow, because the police will catch, but becuase they believe that reaching 5 mins later is not a problem.
Haha! funny that you mention that, because most Indians want to speed even in the city to reach their destination 5 minutes earlier, yet the irony is that most Indians are also the least concerned about punctuality (i.e., "Indian Standard Time"). I.e., if they have told a party they will meet them at 10AM, they're not concerned with arriving at 9:55AM, but they will wreak havoc on the road to reach at 10:45AM instead of 10:50, as if it makes a difference.
Old 29th September 2007, 12:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

With road space getting smaller and smaller ,every year.
The Innova will be a pain to drive in the city as time progresses.
Old 29th September 2007, 13:02   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
With road space getting smaller and smaller ,every year.
The Innova will be a pain to drive in the city as time progresses.
so will every other car. and when the 1 lac car comes out the traffic is going to get crazy.
Old 29th September 2007, 13:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

akshay, I sometimes drive an 8 seater Sumo in the city alone and feel like a moron for gobbling up all that road space.
Old 1st October 2007, 10:21   #60
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
For its price Innova is one of the best vehicle available in India
Sorry, cannot agree with that.

Can you believe that a car (Innova E) whose OTR is 7.7 Lakhs comes without an AC?

Can you believe that the next higher model (Innova G1) OTR 8.5L cannot be registered in company's name?

You can seriously buy only the G4 model. I do not know who is pricing this car. And it comes with insane discounts - 50k on E and 35k on G1. Why cant they just drop the prices? But pls give a freaking AC, someone buying a car around 8 lakhs will expect that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks