Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 12:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!!

Great move this. Politicians should realise that it is petrol prices, more than diesel prices, that affect commonman. Average voter uses a two-wheeler which run on petrol. This expenditure comes directly out of pocket of commonman and it pinches him most as opposed to diesel price-hike which is felt indirectly and not directly. Reduced petrol price would make that politician the darling of the masses. And I'm sure of the calsses, too. About time politicians realised this and cut down on draconian taxes on petrol.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Now this is some news for the petrol heads. But once we visit Goa, the prices in MH will pinch even more .
Nevertheless, this is the price of petrol at which I can redline my hungry 1.6 without thinking twice.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:30   #18
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2012 at 12:43.
Abbas is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th March 2012, 12:35   #19
BHPian

Present price is 65-66 in Goa. Also note that almost every person has a vehicle(2W/4W) and many of them petrol because the daily runs do not fully necessitate buying a diesel.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent policy: pro-citizens. If true/implemented, hats off to the Goanese government.
However, this will immediately create a black market for cheaper petrol from Goa around its neighboring states, atleast in the surrounding vicinities.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

Won't be too different than how it is in TN towns around Pondicherry I suppose.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good news indeed, never ever imagined that such a thing can be done by any govt.

But a deeper economic thinking in me starts thinking these points:
- Petrols are normally the cash cows for any govt. Imagine if the price dropped by INR 11. Then that would mean going to be a loss to exchequer to the tune of INR 500 crores ( I am just guessing not facts attached). How is the govt planning to offset the loss.
Mind you INR 500 cr must be a big number for Goa, (guessing again).
- There is a thin line between efficient management and poor management. They might end up emptying their coffers and declaring bankruptcy to central govt too.
- They have to figure out some other means to earn money, if not the petrol.

But nevertheless, dont want to take the credit away from them. Its surely a bold move.

Last edited by xingamazon : 20th March 2012 at 13:03.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:58   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Rs.11 is a drastic reduction. It would have been sensible if they reduced by 5 Rs.
I guess all the petrol bunks in the border disticts of KA and MH can now shut shop.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:14   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Rs.11 is a drastic reduction. It would have been sensible if they reduced by 5 Rs.
I guess all the petrol bunks in the border disticts of KA and MH can now shut shop.
Why are you upset by Rs.11/-. I remember a few (maybe even 10) years ago I was driving from Manipal to Munnar. we were a bit on the lower side on petrol. On exiting Mangalore I did not spot a single bunk on the highway for a long distance. As soon as we entered Kerala there seemed to be bunks every 100m. At one time (maybe still is) the border between Belgium and Luxembourg was a road. All petrol bunks were on one side of the road.

Happens every where, you drive from UP into Haryana, as soon as you cross the border there are umpteen liquor shops.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

If I were a non tax paying citizen I would be happy, but if I pay taxes, I would now be thinking where else I will have to pay to compensate for this.

Politicians(to be precise the Government) do not have any money of their own, it is OUR money that they use. So if the Petrol is being sold at lower prices then something else would be expensive(considering that the total cost would remain constant).

And more over, increasing the fuel prices has got much more than what meets the eye. May be the high taxes were to decrease the demand?

No wonder such populist moves are a general success (may be that is why they are called populist?). People always fall for such moves not knowing how else would it effect their lives!

Last edited by anilisanil : 20th March 2012 at 14:23.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:24   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Why are you upset by Rs.11/-
Its just that it seems like a populist measure without much thought. If they can manage to offset this loss from other revenue, then nothing like it.

Also, when the diff becomes this huge, it makes sense even for people living 30-40 kms away to drive down to goa and fill up petrol. In fact, to offset the loss, they can easily levy an "Entry Tax" to Goa :-) and make do with some good collections.
Old 20th March 2012, 15:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow should be an interesting day with the Goa budget presentation. If Parrikar keeps his promise and also finds innovative (and hopefully not too painful) ways of meeting the shortfall in revenue, he is on to a real winner. But...
Has there been any kind of precedent I wonder - of a state forgoing it's entire share of tax on fuel?
Old 20th March 2012, 15:51   #28
BHPian

Wow! 11 rupees cheaper! Wish I could just move to Goa.
Its time other state governments and the central government also follow suit. 11 rupees slash sounds a bit too much. But if they could reduce the taxes a bit and make gasoline even Rs 5 cheaper, then it will be a welcome relief for many.
Old 20th March 2012, 15:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to start this thread as this is an old news, but was waiting for the reduction first as at first people won't believe it and then this could be postponed, etc. But yes, our Honourable CM of Goa is a person whom we all trust very much and I am sure he will keep his words. He is an IITian and is a very good administrator, thats what I have been hearing since I came to Goa 5 years ago but I have not witnessed the change by my own eyes, so let's see.
Yes the Petrol will be priced cheaper by Rs.11/- from April 2 onwards when the Budget would be presented by the CM himself. He will achieve this by removing the VAT on Petrol and not by reducing it. The total VAT collection from Petrol was Rs.160 crores last year. It will be done first time in the history of any state and if found successful may be adopted by other states (atleast BJP ruled ones).
My take on this (from what I have read and understood):
1. Yes people from neighbouring states will get advantage, but as most of the CVs are Diesel ones, so the impact won't be that high. This move is anyway done in the name of Aam Aadmi, he will gain from it whether he is from MH or KA.
2. Yes the Petrol pump owners on the 20-30 KM vicinity will suffer.
3. I can't understand that if people travellling 30-40 kms just for filling petrol, agreed that they will save but they don't value time or what. Two way distance would be 60-70 kms and easily 1.30-2.00 hours.
4. The petrol pump owners in Goa were telling that their margins would be reduced (I didn't understand as to how) but the volumes would be higher, so lets see.
5. The Dealers are also facing peculiar situation, generally when the prices are increased they hold the stock and sell them at increased price and make some profit, in this situation, they will be incurring huge losses if they hold stock.
6. So atleast in Goa, buying and driving Petrol vehicle won't be as costlier compared to diesel as in other parts of India.
7. After the price reduction Goa will be famous for cheapest Liquor and cheapest Petrol, both of them are used extensively by tourists.
We are in very funny situation here in Goa as the Central Govt. is about to increase the Petrol price by Rs.5 (that's what we are hearing since budget) and our State Govt. is reducing the Petrol prices by Rs.11 from April 2, so its better to get the tank full now and wait till April 2 and that's exactly I am doing.
PS: The only disadvantage I am seeing in all this is suppose one fine day Govt. decides to levy VAT on Petrol again, then there will be price hike which will affect people badly, but I think it won't be as steep as the reduction this time.

Last edited by carwatcher : 20th March 2012 at 15:56.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 15:59   #30
BANNED

A few points. If Goa taxes elsewhere it is an issue for Goans, not the rest of India. I doubt a state with the tourism industry a major source of revenue will try and tax the golden geese.

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th March 2012 at 16:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks