Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 23:00   #61
BHPian

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!! UPDATE: Prices Reduced !

Motorists dependent on petrol are rejoicing on the reduction of petrol prices here in Goa. Even the petrol pump dealers are pleased by this reduction. However, those who purchased diesel cars mainly because of the petrol-diesel price divide would be an unhappy lot.

---------------

I have retrieved some salient features of Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar's budget, which may be of interest to those on this forum:

* Reduction in prices on petrol by nearly Rs 11 per litre. VAT abolished on sale of petrol locally and is kept it at 0.1% just to maintain the sale records.

* Entry Toll on all vehicles registered outside the State that enter Goa, for using the infrastructure of the State. The details along with a suitable legislation would be brought forward during the Monsoon session.

* A 15 tax on Cars and SUVs sold at a price in access of Rs 15 lakhs. This rate will be also applicable for two wheelers costing above Rs 2 lakhs.

* In line with the increase in VAT on Cars, SUVs and two wheelers, an increase in the rates of entry tax to these goods at the rate of 15%.

* Revision in the one-time tax on Motor Vehicles belonging to limited companies with share capital of less than Rs 50 lakhs, individuals and partnership firm to 6% of the cost of the Vehicle, whose cost is Rs 6 lakhs and below and 7% of the cost of the vehicle, whose cost is above Rs 6 lakhs. In the case of two wheelers whose cost price is above Rs 2 lakhs shall be charged one-time tax of 10%.

* Enhancing the existing one-time tax on all other vehicles not covered as stated above, by 1%.

* Enhancing the special permit passenger tax, which is applicable on tourist vehicles from outside the State, to Rs 300 per passenger per month.

* A new six-lane bridge across Zuari River to be completed in 36 months.

* New bridges linking Camurlim-Tuem, Chodan-Pomburpa, Calvim-Carona, Keri-Terekhol, Chorao-Ribander, Cumbarjua-Gaundalim, Madkai-Neura, Khandepar, Betim-Panjim, Arpora-Calangute, Virdi-Amona, Sanguem, Talpona and Galgibag.

* Construction of Santacruz–Taleigao bypass and crossovers on National Highway at Mapusa, Porvorim, Santacruz and Siridao.

* A subsidy of 70% to commuters who use public transport. The monthly pass will be made available at only 30% of the cost. Similarly, for the students, the same will be available for only 15% of the cost.

* Late night bus service connecting major towns and tourist destinations.

* Purchase of 300 new buses by Kadamba Transport Corporation.

* Dedicated motorcycle and bicycle lanes, on such possible routes to provide a safer lane and also encourage creation of pedestrian‟s zones in the congested urban areas.

Last edited by misquitas : 26th March 2012 at 23:02.
misquitas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 01:22   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
* A subsidy of 70% to commuters who use public transport. The monthly pass will be made available at only 30% of the cost. Similarly, for the students, the same will be available for only 15% of the cost.

* Late night bus service connecting major towns and tourist destinations.

* Purchase of 300 new buses by Kadamba Transport Corporation.

* Dedicated motorcycle and bicycle lanes, on such possible routes to provide a safer lane and also encourage creation of pedestrian‟s zones in the congested urban areas.
This is awesome.
BTW, the 15% tax on vehicles costing more than 15 lacs - this is road tax itself or something additional?
Old 27th March 2012, 01:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This is awesome.
BTW, the 15% tax on vehicles costing more than 15 lacs - this is road tax itself or something additional?
Not too sure about it, but my guess is that this is some additional tax, over and above that of the road tax. Welcome for the mass, dismay for the class.
Old 27th March 2012, 07:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

Goans must be partying high now on the drop in the petrol prices. I guess this is the cheapest in the country.

There are some good intiatives taken by the state govt esp of introducing new buses and night buses. I wish apart from Kadamba bus stand there should have been measures taken to introduce bus stands in South and North goa exclusively.

How is the private fleet operators lobby going to handle this change?
Old 27th March 2012, 07:49   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGolden View Post
I have a solution for this, let the neighboring states too reduce price. No scam, no pollution by adulterated and smuggled fuel and no arbitrage.
Really wish our Govt. adopts this solution of yours. But you really think politicians are worried about neighbouring states charging less tax , resulting in black marketing etc...? THe road tax in Karnataka has been insanely high for so long that many luxury car owners have been getting their cars registered in Pondicherry. Nobody is bothered. Big states like Karnataka and TN have their finances all seriously messed up. The VAT on Petrol and Diesel rakes in a huge amount. If they were to give this up, there would be a huge budget deficit. It will have to recovered in some or the other form. I don't think the citizen can escape.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

This is really good news. Rs. 11 reduction in Petrol price is great. The new Govt. in Goa has shown the way which other states should follow.

India will probably be only country where Petrol or Diesel Cars are purchased based on Fuel prices & not but drive quality.

It is true that lower & middle class depend more on Petrol, atleast directly. This is so because all the low end cars & two wheelers run on Petrol.

Let us hope all the state Govt. follow Goa & give some relief to Petrol buyers.

Thanks,
Old 27th March 2012, 11:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat

Really wish our Govt. adopts this solution of yours. But you really think politicians are worried about neighbouring states charging less tax , resulting in black marketing etc...? THe road tax in Karnataka has been insanely high for so long that many luxury car owners have been getting their cars registered in Pondicherry. Nobody is bothered. Big states like Karnataka and TN have their finances all seriously messed up. The VAT on Petrol and Diesel rakes in a huge amount. If they were to give this up, there would be a huge budget deficit. It will have to recovered in some or the other form. I don't think the citizen can escape.
In a small place like Goa, it is possible to make such a thing work, as the balance between revenue vs expenditure can be controlled better. The problem arises when there are very big states like UP, TN, RJ etc. where the balancing act becomes tougher, either due to geographical size or population size. I think in today's Indian federal context where development initiatives have shifted significantly from the centre to the states, it makes more sense to have larger number of smaller states that can focus on governance rather than cumbersome political equations. Goa is a good example; whenever I have been there, I have observed an active civil society with citizen's groups and lobbies that work for the common good. Whether it be about a road being made somewhere or garbage disposal, the civil society in Goa is very active and involved. I think it's because of the homogeneity within the population and the fact that it's a compact geographical - cultural entity. Therefore Mr. Parrikar is at a natural advantage to make such important changes.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:16   #68
BHPian

This link is not related to the automobile industry but is closely related to this particular thread.

Goa: VAT on liquor hiked, prices to shoot up - India News - IBNLive

IMO Petrol consumption in Goa must me very low compared to other states. Therefore lowering petrol cost will not effect the revenue much. Increasing booze cost in state like Goa ??? Yes, that will generate some revenue.

In fact this petrol reduction is aimed mainly at the 2 wheeler owners, they say that there is a 2-wheeler for every 3 people in Goa. So now lots of Happy Goans !!
Old 27th March 2012, 16:39   #69
BHPian

Can BJP Govt in KA take a cue from this neighbouring state and make life a little better for its citizens ?

Highest Road Tax ( For best in class speed breakers in any city)
Highest Fuel Price (Best in class traffic congestion which will ensure low mileage of vehicles)

Pity that all our CM does is how to save his gaddi than doing justice to the citizen of KA.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
What do you mean overtake? Isnt it already much ahead?
You missed my point completely, what I meant was Goa was on its way to overtake backward states in terms of 'Backwardness'.
Not only our CM has reduced the Petrol price but has also frozen the LPG prices at the levels on 16 March 2012 for a period of 5 years.
If people criticize (if any) these moves then I must say that we have been looted by the Govt for so long that we don't even realise what should be correct prices for various commodities. As regards whether it is financially prudent decision or not, look at our system, Govt cos. are overstaffed due to appointments in various govt. organisations under political pressure, which results in losses, which are ultimately borne by govt. and ultimately passed on to mango people in the name of under-recovery etc. So, the system is of the people, for the people and by the people. But the catch is, in this process Govt employee's and netas wealth turn into 100s to 1000s of crores. Atleast in this case, general public being benefitted.
Old 27th March 2012, 21:34   #71
BHPian

I am not trying to make this a political discussion, but is there any hard pressed reason for why other states cant follow suit ?
Btw, congrats to all Goans, good old days are back
karty_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 22:10   #72
BHPian

This is nothing but a political motivated move. BJP is sensing an early poll so they wanted to show us that they can bring down the prices of petrol and other things. Why have they done it only in Goa? They are the ruling party in other states like Karnataka, Gujrat etc.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

OT - Just read in today's papers that if the Maharashtra state were to follow in Goa's footsteps, the prices of petrol would reduce by almost RS 15 bringing it to around 55/-. The state taxes are the highest in the country. How is wish this would become reality.
Old 28th March 2012, 08:45   #74
BHPian

I'm happy for all goans. But I don't know for how long will this happiness remain. Goa being a 25 paise coin size compared to a 10 rupee coin size can manage to pull this off i suppose.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:19   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I'm happy for all goans. But I don't know for how long will this happiness remain. Goa being a 25 paise coin size compared to a 10 rupee coin size can manage to pull this off i suppose.
Its disheartening to see comments like this.

For once, in a long time, there came someone to prove that all is not out of control in terms of fuel prices/living standards.
Its up to the people to appreciate such bold and straight genuine gestures that comes from our leaders. In this era, such things dont come very often.
manojmis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks