Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 09:24   #76
BHPian

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!! UPDATE: Prices Reduced !

I really feel for the petrol pumps which are just outside the Goa state borders. Now everybody will hop across to Goa and tank up.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:25   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojmis View Post
Its up to the people to appreciate such bold and straight genuine gestures that comes from our leaders. In this era, such things dont come very often.
I'm all appreciation for such kind gestures. But it's puzzling as to why this particular political party didn't think of replicating such a gesture elsewhere. Now I don't want to make this a political thing, but you got disheartened for no reason. Logic should be applied in every aspect of life.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:26   #78
BHPian

Here is the full article.

GOA Effects continue.

Petrol could cost Rs 15 less if Delhi follows Goa's lead - The Times of India
Old 28th March 2012, 10:51   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I'm all appreciation for such kind gestures. But it's puzzling as to why this particular political party didn't think of replicating such a gesture elsewhere. Now I don't want to make this a political thing, but you got disheartened for no reason. Logic should be applied in every aspect of life.
Lets not take this personal by judging whether my reasoning are correct or not.Two different individuals, are bound to have different thoughts.

Am too weak at politics, so didnt look at the perspective that you hd mentioned. My only concern went in a way that such good initiatives are being tried to belittled by comments like, Goa is small and so is easily manageabale etc. That is not the case in reality.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:01   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
I really feel for the petrol pumps which are just outside the Goa state borders. Now everybody will hop across to Goa and tank up.
There will be entry tax for outstation vehicles entering Goa. Legislation for which will be brought in Monsoon. So that will act as small deterrent.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:48   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm happy for all goans. But I don't know for how long will this happiness remain. Goa being a 25 paise coin size compared to a 10 rupee coin size can manage to pull this off i suppose.
I am guessing you haven't done a visual comparison of a 25 paise coin v/s a 10 rupee coin. It isn't that big a size difference.

Quote:
Let me give you a quote off wikipedia:

Quote:
Goa is India's richest state with a GDP per capita two and a half times that of the country as a whole. It was ranked the best placed state by the Eleventh Finance Commission for its infrastructure and ranked on top for the best quality of life in India by the National Commission on Population based on the 12 Indicators.

You cannot replicate the decisions of a government formed by a particular political party in a particular state to the same party forming a government in a different state. In today's political world its very different as each ruling individual runs the government purely on basis of what they think is right for their state.
In the business world, the above statement is like saying all Tata group companies should generate the same revenue at end of financial year because its run by the same group that manages other businesses. Is that possible?

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th March 2012 at 11:49.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 13:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Very well said indeed, moralfibre.
I however feel, that this decision by the new CM in Goa might just, or will eventually set the ball rolling. The effects of which would/should be seen in other states as well.

O.T: For those residing in areas like Sawantwadi, this couldnt have been a better news. Want to fill fuel? Just drive into Goa, fill up and drive back .
Old 28th March 2012, 15:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

Its popular and populist alright - but some things need a deterrent pricing. Fossil fuels definitely count among those! This'll psychologically set back efforts to seek better efficiency, improve public transport usage and NMT. Overall a regressive, short term step I'd say - fuel prices will go right back up and we'd still be clinging to old habits.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Its popular and populist alright - but some things need a deterrent pricing. Fossil fuels definitely count among those! This'll psychologically set back efforts to seek better efficiency, improve public transport usage and NMT. Overall a regressive, short term step I'd say - fuel prices will go right back up and we'd still be clinging to old habits.
Whether the BJP government's decision to reduce petrol prices by Rs 11 is regressive or not, do consider the following issues:

* Public transportation here in Goa is not as efficient as it is in Mumbai.
* Buses stop functioning in most parts of Goa after 8.30-9 pm and this causes great hardship to residents and visitors who wish to use bus services at night.
* Taxis and rickshaws do not run according to metres and operators fleece passengers with exorbitant rates.
* Rail services are not as extensive as it is in Mumbai and is restricted to only a few villages/towns in Goa.
* Inland waterways have not been exploited to its full potential and are, at most, restricted as ferry services to those routes which do not have motorable access.

Due to some of the reasons mentioned above, most Goans have felt the need to have their own transport, two or four wheelers. However, most motorists are left with two options -- petrol or diesel vehicles -- due to the following reasons:

* There is no CNG facility here in Goa.
* As far as I know, there are only 2 LPG pumps in Goa and this has severely reduced the demand for LPG-run four-wheelers.
* Battery operated two-wheelers are also scarcely in demand due to the high cost of battery, few service centres and poor resale value.

Under these circumstances, it is a welcome decision to reduce petrol prices, especially given the wide difference between petrol and diesel prices.

Had the government given better/greater subsidies to battery operated vehicles, there would have been greater demand for these vehicles and the need for "fossil fuel" operated vehicles would automatically have come down.

So, in my opinion, the best "deterrent" to fossil fuel is to make non-fossil fuel operated vehicles popular and affordable.

By the way, car companies have already capitalising on Goa government's proposed reduction in petrol prices and have begun advertising for their petrol models. I saw a Tata advertisement in the local papers this morning, extolling the virtues of the Tata Vista Petrol and the Nano car.

I now strongly suspect that demand for diesel cars here in Goa will take a hit and, thankfully, subsidized diesel will mainly be used for its intended purpose -- public transportation. I only hope other states follow the precedent set by Goa.

Last edited by misquitas : 28th March 2012 at 21:54.
misquitas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 21:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

The govt should have considered revenue loss and would have gone ahead with the measure. Good for Goans.

On a side note, Indira Gandhi had called Singapore a big shopping mall (in reaction to Singapore's premier or someone asking India to learn from Singapore on how to manage a country)
Old 29th March 2012, 10:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
By the way, car companies have already capitalising on Goa government's proposed reduction in petrol prices and have begun advertising for their petrol models. I saw a Tata advertisement in the local papers this morning, extolling the virtues of the Tata Vista Petrol and the Nano car.

I now strongly suspect that demand for diesel cars here in Goa will take a hit and, thankfully, subsidized diesel will mainly be used for its intended purpose -- public transportation. I only hope other states follow the precedent set by Goa.
Car Companies are just another business houses & their Owners / Managers are normal Businessmen. They will advertise that what sells.
We all have seen Tata Motors advertisements before budget 2012 mentioning that Diesel Cars prices will be hiked & thus have managed to clock impressive sales figures before budget. Infact recently I read in Times of India that in last month, Diesel car & petrol Car sales we almost the same in month before budget.
Now since Petrol prices are redued in Goa, they will push Petrol Cars in Goa & Diesel cars elsewhere.

But one thing is for sure that demand for Diesel Cars will go down in Goa & those who have recently purchased Diesel Cars (only to save fuel cost) will feel cheated.

Let us hope & demand that other states too follow Goa's example & reduce VAT on Fuel till some extend, if not fully.

Thanks,
Old 29th March 2012, 10:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
those who have recently purchased Diesel Cars (only to save fuel cost) will feel cheated.
I bought my petrol Figo in November 2011. Everyone laughed at me cos I did not buy a diesel. Now I am laughing at them
On a different note, having a vehicle(2W/4W) is a necessity in Goa as a large population travels daily to towns/cities for their work and having an efficient PTS is not possible as the areas are scarcely populated. Still its much better then many places I have been to.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:42   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I bought my petrol Figo in November 2011. Everyone laughed at me cos I did not buy a diesel. Now I am laughing at them
Appreciate the choice you made.

Even today it makes sense to go for Petrol Car of your avarage driving is less than 750 kms per month. The extra Rs. 1 or Rs. 1.25 lacs for spend for Diesel Car will be recovered only after 5 / 6 years if your average driving is low.

India will probably be the only country in the world where choice of Petrol & Diesel Cars is made based on Fuel Price & not on necessity. Now-a-days I am seeing many people selling their 2 or 3 years old Petrol car & buying a new Diesel Car. The point they miss is unless they are going to drive the Diesel car for more than 12000 kms per year, the extra cost they paid is not going to recover before 5 years.

And by that period, if all states start following Goa's example, then they will have to repent.

Thanks,
Old 29th March 2012, 13:10   #89
BHPian

May be I am asking an old question but still.
Do the Company needs some extra cost to build the Diesel car. As per me only the engine that will be different in these two versions. Or the Car Company are simply taking the advantage of the price factor?

How ever seems like the Petrol/Diesel price gap will be closer in coming days.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:40   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
May be I am asking an old question but still.
Do the Company needs some extra cost to build the Diesel car. As per me only the engine that will be different in these two versions. Or the Car Company are simply taking the advantage of the price factor?
I think we have discussed this lot here. Diesel engines are more expensive to manufacture. They need to have better build quality to control NVH and probably a tweak to suspension due to the extra weight.

Most Viewed