Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 17:21   #91
J.Ravi

Re: Petrol may get cheaper by Rs 11 in Goa!! UPDATE: Prices Reduced !

Is it the case of what Goa thought yesterday, Karnataka thinks today? According to this report, Karnataka government is likely to withdraw VAT on petrol making petrol price less by Rs 15.50 to Rs 58 per litre at Bangalore? Keep your fingers crossed!
Name:  PetrolPrice.png
Views: 1831
Size:  193.0 KB
  (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 17:35   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Very well said indeed, moralfibre.
I however feel, that this decision by the new CM in Goa might just, or will eventually set the ball rolling. The effects of which would/should be seen in other states as well.

O.T: For those residing in areas like Sawantwadi, this couldnt have been a better news. Want to fill fuel? Just drive into Goa, fill up and drive back .
Yes Swanand, I am sure Recently picked up 1 yr old, 10k on odo SX4 ZXi , for just under 5 lac at Sawantwadi coz one, the owner had problems parking it and two, petrol becoming expensive owner wanted to part her. No need to drive to Panjim, few km away at Pernem can get tankful. Alas, I have made at least one sensible decision in life.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:24   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Mr.Parrikar & his team ought to be congratulated for this bold step. I guess this must be the single largest cut in fuel prices ever anywhere in India. One hopes that they have got their calculations right and can make up the revenue loss in ways that do not hurt the common man. And if they can- be assured that the other states will be under tremendous pressure.
The One on the pillion seat is Goa CM who follows simple living & high thinking methodology. He has well planned for the fuel price cuts and adjustment for VAT through other sources(Raise in Road tax for hi end cars). He lives life of a common man.
Gurudatta Nayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 12:47   #94
Senior - BHPian

^^ really a example for other CMs, here i was made to stand in sun for 15 mins and long traffic jam because some big politician was going in 100 car convoy :@
Old 30th March 2012, 12:55   #95
Team-BHP Support

I don't discuss politics on the forum since it violates the rules of the forum however I must talk about some first hand experiences narrated by my family in Goa.

- Mr. Parrikar used to do surprise night visits to police stations in Goa in order to check if they are doing their duty as expected.

- He is responsible for having top quality of roads in Goa by personally ensuring that the materials used are not third grade. He would do a random inspection at construction sights.

- He was solely responsible for beautifying Panaji city the way we see it today.

- If you visit Youtube, there is a three part video series where he takes a person for a drive around Panaji (Its in Konkani, not sure if you understand that).

- He replies to text messages and emails of the aam janata. And I speak this with first hand experience.

I personally admire his personality and honesty with which he delivers results. The first day when he assumed office, he cut short the security cover for all ministers stating that it wasn't required. He delivered / initiated 70% of promises mentioned in his manifesto while the rest are on their way. I am glad that my native is in safe hands.
moralfibre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 14:18   #96
BHPian

Just heard today that giving out petrol in cans is prohibited. Also heard CCTVs may be installed at fuel stations to keep a check on these activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I don't discuss politics on the forum since it violates the rules of the forum however I must talk about some first hand experiences narrated by my family in Goa..
You forgot the construction of IFFY related infrastructure where he personally supervised right from 4AM in the morning. No wonder he is so popular among Goans.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

15 bucks cheaper petrol in Bangalore?, awesome, hope there is some cut in Diesel as well, i know you cant be greedy enough
Old 30th March 2012, 14:26   #98
BANNED

Why diesel. A lot of our taxes are going into 'subsidizing' it. I hope they reduce VAT and increase the price to Re.1 above petrol (it has a higher calorific value). Diesel costs more in the US, UK, Germany and Switzerland for sure. If we want to claim we are a developed country then let us be willing to pay!!
Old 30th March 2012, 15:10   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Why diesel. A lot of our taxes are going into 'subsidizing' it. Diesel costs more in the US, UK, Germany and Switzerland for sure. If we want to claim we are a developed country then let us be willing to pay!!
Hello Mr. Sgiitk,

You have made a good point. Why should Diesel Prices be reduced? Infact Petrol is priced high in India because the loss in sale of Diesel is recovered from Petrol Sales. Today Petrol buyers are actually paying for subsidy for Diesel.

Also as far as Diesel Price higher than Petrol in developed countries goes - I am not a expert but I did read in past that Diesel is more polluting than Petrol. That is why Diesel is priced higher in developed Countries.

It is only in our Country that in name of "Common Man", deisel is subsized. I agree that Diesel is used in very essential industries like Transport, Power Generators, etc but Diesel use for Mobile Towers, Passengers, Volvo (Luxury) bus should not be subsized. For such uses, the Price of Diesel & Petrol should be same. I understand that this is very difficult to implement, but there should be a start somewhere.

For example:
1. Mobile Towers should be charged a fixed amount per year as Diesel Usage Cess
2. Diesel passengers cars should have more Taxes (one time tax which did not came in this Budget)
3. Higher interest rates for loans taken on Diesel Passenger Cars & Diesel Luxury Bus.

Thanks,
Old 30th March 2012, 15:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Is it the case of what Goa thought yesterday, Karnataka thinks today? According to this report, Karnataka government is likely to withdraw VAT on petrol making petrol price less by Rs 15.50 to Rs 58 per litre at Bangalore? Keep your fingers crossed!
I hope this is not some April fools joke
Would be wonderful if implemented.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:04   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Also as far as Diesel Price higher than Petrol in developed countries goes - I am not a expert but I did read in past that Diesel is more polluting than Petrol. That is why Diesel is priced higher in developed Countries.
The answer may also be in that Diesel having a higher calorific value. The one western country where I know Diesel is cheaper than Petrol is France, due to the farmers and truckers lobbies (like India!). More or less polluting is a moot point, the two pollute in different ways.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:21   #102
Senior - BHPian

Super!! but todays local daily had given that tomorrow thier maybe 4rs hike on petrol?

I think Goa has set a great example, hope other states learn from it, but i always feel its about the leader and not the party! Goa is lucky to have Mr Manohar as the CM!
Old 30th March 2012, 20:35   #103
BHPian

Just read that the Census 2010 has revealed that 25% of houses in Goa own a four-wheeler, which is higher than the national average of 5%.

In my opinion, the poor public transport system in Goa is largely responsible for this surge in private four-wheelers.

With petrol prices in Goa set to become lower by Rs 11 on April 2, I expect a sizeable number of two-wheeler owners will slowly switch to smaller petrol hatches like Alto, Eon and Nano, which will only add to growing number of houses owning four-wheelers in Goa.

Last edited by misquitas : 30th March 2012 at 20:39.
Old 30th March 2012, 21:53   #104
BHPian

It is always advisable and prudent that members quote/attribute the source when borrowing, linking or citing information published in other publications, news agencies and websites.

The following picture had appeared in the Herald (dated March 30, 2012).

Thanks,
Melvyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
The One on the pillion seat is Goa CM who follows simple living & high thinking methodology. He has well planned for the fuel price cuts and adjustment for VAT through other sources(Raise in Road tax for hi end cars). He lives life of a common man.
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:34   #105
BHPian

CheapPetrolGoa#Dad tanked up the Figo. 35Lts, INR1921. That's a huge saving. Just to give an idea, that much fuel will cost INR2580 in Karnataka

Most Viewed