Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 16:08   #106
BHPian

Re: Nissan to revive the Datsun brand in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
...no speedometer...Cheers!
I can see a speedometer in the above pic. You don't mean tachometer, do you?
Old 15th July 2013, 16:21   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I can see a speedometer in the above pic. You don't mean tachometer, do you?
Yes should be tacho. See below link for the quoted news.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/da...ery-63129.html
Old 15th July 2013, 16:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

With Nissan micra active selling for 3.5L, this datsun seem to be even more barebones so will we see a pricing like 2.99L ? May be even lesser if they really plan to target Alto. But Alto sells 20K per month and I highly doubt if Nissan can scale to that number.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 15th July 2013 at 16:29.
Old 15th July 2013, 16:29   #109
BHPian

If the front bench really is for 3 people then I would be scared to sit in the middle. With the gear assembly so close to the middle seat, any sudden breaking is bound to cause trouble and pain.
bigwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 16:31   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

The pricing spoken of was < 4 lakhs, so It seems confusing now with the Micra Active @ 3.5 lakhs!

Cheers!
Old 15th July 2013, 16:46   #111
BHPian

I like the looks of the car and to me it looks better than the old Micra.Also,it seems a better looker than its competition like the WagonR,Spark and also i10. Cost cutting is evident but it does not seem as bad as things that were done to the Etios and Sail to achieve a low price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
With Nissan micra active selling for 3.5L, this datsun seem to be even more barebones so will we see a pricing like 2.99L ? May be even lesser if they really plan to target Alto. But Alto sells 20K per month and I highly doubt if Nissan can scale to that number.
I don't think they are targeting the Alto with this,they are targeting cars like WagonR and i10 etc.To go against the Alto they are going to launch another smaller car,I2 next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
If the front bench really is for 3 people then I would be scared to sit in the middle. With the gear assembly so close to the middle seat, any sudden breaking is bound to cause trouble and pain.
Precisely,I don't think anyone can be seated in the middle with reasonable comfort,there is literally no leg space.I don't think Nissan will market this bench as a 3 seater but they might be knowing that the Indian consumer will consider this as a plus point since we have a thing for squeezing that extra person in,even though in discomfort.
Old 15th July 2013, 17:39   #112
BHPian

IMO Datsun Go looks far better than its competitors Alto & Eon
the buyers in this category will be spoilt for choice
Old 15th July 2013, 18:37   #113
BANNED

They lunched the website

http://www.datsun.co.in/

In nutshell:
Quote:
Datsun Go Details
  • 5-door hatchback
  • 5 seats
  • 1.2L engine
  • 5 speed manual transmission
  • Mobile docking station
  • Less than 400,000 Indian Rupees
  • Competitive Cost Of Ownership
Quote:
Dimensions
  • Length:

3,785mm
  • Width:

1,635mm
  • Height:

1,485mm
  • Wheelbase:

2,450mm
And yes, there seems to be a radio / USB music system. Uploading the edited picture in DATSUN website.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan to revive the Datsun brand in India!-modelsinternal1.jpg  

PetrolRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 19:44   #114
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle looks pretty neat from the outside. Nice stance and a breath of fresh air from the regular tall boys. Not too happy with the interiors though. No glovebox and a pull and turn Japanese van like handbrake is taking cost cutting a bit too far.
Old 15th July 2013, 22:52   #115
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Datsun's second innings looks promising!

I'm quite impressed by the new Datsun GO. The design is pleasing, proportionate and non-controversial, like a good Japanese hatchback. The interior is surely different - cost-cutting is quite evident, but it also seems to use a few quality parts from the Nissan-Renault V platform parts bin.

The good bits about the Datsun GO:

1) Value. Pretty large hatchback with a 1.2 litre engine for the price of smaller cars with 0.8 to 1.1 litre engines
2) Space - looks as spacious as the Micra/Pulse duo, which is unsurprising as it's based on the same platform with exactly the same wheelbase. It can also be used as an occasion 5+1 seater, thanks to the "bucketench" seats (not really recommended from a safety POV)
3) Boot seems to be pretty decent-sized, must be around 240-250 litres in capacity
4) Parts shared with the Micra and Pulse seem to be of good quality - bits like the inside door levers, A/C vents, light and wiper stalks, seat parts etc.
5) Performance and fuel-efficiency should be on par for the segment, if not better.

The bad bits:

1) Cost-cutting in several areas - lack of glovebox lid, fog lamps, adjustable headrests, day/night IRVM, internally adjustable ORVMs, parcel tray, tachometer, second reverse lamp, roof antenna, roof & windshield beadings etc.
2) Music system is actually just a mobile phone dock connected to the car's speakers, seems to be lacking Bluetooth support, CD/MP3 player and FM/AM radio
3) Lack of a rear wash/wipe feature coupled with a single front wiper
4) Small wheels and narrow tyres - seem to be 155 section tyres on either 13" or 12" rims

Some of these may not be an issue for some people while other features such as fog lamps, parcel tray etc. can be easily added as accessories or upgraded (wheels & tyres, single DIN music system etc.)

What remains to be seen are whether Nissan has skimped on the crucial door beadings/weather strips or not and how much they have skimped on the NVH package. ABS and two airbags must at least be provided as an option, while an ECU controlled engine immobiliser is a must for all variants

Overall, a good effort at cracking the volumes hatchback segment by providing something refreshing and different to the available options. Nissan and Datsun may be well known and respected brands, but their sales and service network is still limited on the ground and average in terms of customer satisfaction.

Last edited by RSR : 15th July 2013 at 23:00.
Old 15th July 2013, 23:38   #116
BHPian

Hopefully Datsun GO has demonstrated its lowest priced variant and with time will bring in better features which are normally bestowed by Maruti for its customers like Proper Audio unit, power windows for rear seats etc. Car is definitely pretty by far from Alto or Wagon R or even new 800. Common buyers sitting in C - Town cities and rural areas will first look for a garage that is nearby his home and this kind of comfort is enjoyed by three Indian brands at the moment by Maruti, Mahindra & Tata. And the trust factor on buying a reliable car (at least some one from the rural India ) will come with time. No doubt if its as fun to drive as Alto or Santro they have a winning horse in their stable. Lets wait and watch as a new war is to begin especially in the segment where Maruti has an unbeaten record ( well almost)
Old 16th July 2013, 05:11   #117
BHPian

The middle seat in the front row seems finely suited to me.
As a kid, when we had our Omni, between the 2 front seats, there used to be this small piece of cushion (a tad bigger than a brick) where I would usually sit for city drives. And it served the purpose well for my tiny posterior. This, with the gear lever right between my legs.
I feel the design here liberates much more space. A cue from those tiny Japanese Kei cars, most of which have the gear lever mounted on the dash and free space between the seats.
Overall looks promising to me compared to the forced "Fluidic" looks and Stars with overload of attitude.
No offense to existing owners, these are my pure views.
Old 16th July 2013, 08:03   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Ha ha ha! Couldn't agree more. Thank God the specs say it's a 5 seater. Don't know why, I can't digest the thought of three people sitting in the front. Although practical, had I been the driver, would have been a 'YUCK' for me. Add to that the lack of safety parameters. Otherwise the design looks neat, and obviously not chic type like the Micra.
Old 16th July 2013, 08:58   #119
BHPian

Agree... even for me the 3 person in the front is a no go... with no safety equipment's what so ever.

Its totally unsafe. just imagining, a kid with no seat belts in the front seat with the gear leaver pointing directly towards the abdomen or the lower ribs is really not what i want...
Instead i would prefer them taking our the additional center peace totally.

Over all this cars looks really mature on the outside & if priced well can see it doing decent volumes.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

Thats not a third seat in the middle but a space levelled out with the other seats for convenience. I think its a pretty useful idea, probably there is a storage box underneath it too. I have a similar setup in my old Fiat and it actually is very very nifty.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks